of 2

2013-12-05 1:19 PM
in reply to: jrensink78

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: Correct way to log swim workouts

Originally posted by jrensink78

I like being able to track both moving and resting time.  So on my 910xt, I press Start at the beginning of the workout.  During the workout, I only use the lap button until the end when I press Start again to stop the workout.  I press the lap button at the beginning and end of each rest period.

I used to just track moving time, which required me to start/stop the timer repeatedly during my workout.  But every so often I'd miss a button push and I'd start losing laps.  So only using the lap button once the workout has started eliminated that problem.  Worst case now is a rest period gets lumped into a moving period.

I really don't like TP for swim analysis (maybe I don't know how to use it correctly).  So when I want to dig into swim info, I typically look in Garmin Connect.  You could just grab the moving time from that and paste it into TP so you have the moving time accurate in there.

I have been using my 910 in the pool for a couple of years and started uploading workouts to Connect, BT, and TP.  Sometimes the data that uploads to TP is differnt then Connect.  It can show longer time and shorter distance but when I really analyze what it is spitting out, connect is always correct.  I end up editing the workout in TP to accurately match Connect.  The upload from Connect to BT works very well too.  I have very little issues. 

I just log moving time.  When my coach set a workout for the pool, say 60 minutes with Warm Up, Drills, Transition, Main Set, and Cool down, the 60 minutes includes rest periods.  I may have been in the water for 60 minutes but the moving time might only be 40 minutes. 

Being consistent is the only thing I try to do now.  But then I end up having the same issue you talked about with the start / stop button and screwing up the whole workout.  LOL.

2013-12-05 3:37 PM
in reply to: 0

I have a $50 Timex Ironman watch where I use the Chrono setting. I start it when I begin my set and stop it when I finish. Then start over for each set but the watch keeps an aggregate time. Pretty simple.

Edited by tb1000 2013-12-05 3:37 PM
2013-12-05 3:59 PM
in reply to: snappingt

User image

Originally posted by snappingt Throw away your watch, use the pace clock, swim hard against the person in the lane next to you and if you have to, log the yardage. Training for running and training for swimming are not the same thing.

This.  When in the pool, I don't even wear a watch.  I have a 910 that I'll use for OWS, but in the pool, it's just me, the pace clock, the other swimmers (if in masters), and distance.

When logging in BT, I usually just put in some arbitrary time like 1:00, 1:15, or 1:30 just so my purple bar gets populated.

2013-12-05 4:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I really don't think there's a "correct" way.    I personally think the workout is the total elapsed time, including rest intervals, as prescribed.  I only stop my watch (a simple Timex lap watch) if I really interrupt my workout by getting out the pool, an extended conversation, extended time fixing my equipment.  I also don't lollygag.  If I am doing a set with a bunch of stuff like kick-boards, pull buoys, etc, I really am quick about keeping going.  Paddles are the worst!

If I really needed to know my speed for a given interval, I can look back at my laps on the watch.  I tend to watch as I go and make a mental note, which is enough to gauging progress.   Also, this way I always surprise myself at races with a much faster time

I also don't stop my watch when I am running and have to stop to cross the road, or whatever.   One time in a race I had to stop for a train and I didn't get any time taken off my overall.   Stuff happens.  But again, if I stop for an extended time (really long light at a big intersection, fixing my equipment, potty break) I do stop my watch.  But the normal course of accomplishing the workout gets the total elapsed time.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-12-05 4:17 PM
2013-12-05 4:20 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by snappingt Throw away your watch, use the pace clock, swim hard against the person in the lane next to you and if you have to, log the yardage. Training for running and training for swimming are not the same thing.

This.  When in the pool, I don't even wear a watch.  I have a 910 that I'll use for OWS, but in the pool, it's just me, the pace clock, the other swimmers (if in masters), and distance.

When logging in BT, I usually just put in some arbitrary time like 1:00, 1:15, or 1:30 just so my purple bar gets populated.

You can always tell the triathletes in the pool (as opposed to the swimmers).  Used to be they're the ones wearing a watch.  Now it's GPS   :^

2013-12-05 4:29 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by Jason N

You can always tell the triathletes in the pool (as opposed to the swimmers).  Used to be they're the ones wearing a watch.  Now it's GPS   :^

One guy at my old pool in FL used to wear his HRM, too.

2013-12-06 6:01 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Originally posted by mike761

Old swimmer here. I have always tracked swim workouts by yards(I swim in a 25 yard pool). All my records are in an excel file not online.

This is what I do. I use my 910 and transfer the laps to this spreadsheet. Probably overkill, but I like the data. With it I can track my intervals and not take credit for the rest intervals. I used to use it with my sports watch.

Attachments
----------------
Swimming_log.xlsx (12KB - 3 downloads)
2013-12-06 1:07 PM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
I've used the Finis brand lap counter w/timer. The one that sits on the edge of the pool and hangs in the water, not the one that clips on your finger. You hit the pad when you leave the wall and that starts the timer, every time you come back you hit the tab again and it counts your lap. Then I stop the timer in between sets. Using that I get an exact time that I actually spent swimming as well as a count on the number of laps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Correct way to log swim workouts Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

ways to balance workouts, work, and family tips and suggestions

Started by triitoncemaybetwice
Views: 2516 Posts: 25

2012-07-28 6:45 AM KateTri1

logging your swim workouts

Started by newbie13
Views: 1549 Posts: 23

2008-01-08 10:04 AM JJump

Logging swim workouts? Pages: 1 2

Started by bshehan
Views: 1859 Posts: 43

2007-01-24 7:00 PM gadzinm

Cool swim pic........correct thread, sorry

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 1084 Posts: 5

2006-09-16 3:42 PM devilwillride

Correcting Head Position on swim

Started by Colomingle
Views: 1516 Posts: 24

2005-11-21 3:30 PM nj newbie!
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : TriGuyCoaching
comments : 2
When you head to the pool for a swim workout, do you ever wonder what you should be doing?

date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : February 2, 2009
author : tonyladd
comments : 0
A discussion on how to use the training and race logs to determine how best to improve your performance for next season.

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : May 21, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, we’re doing slightly fewer drills and slightly more distance. Focus on completing the workouts and notice the changes to your stroke.
date : March 3, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 1
Configure your log settings to get the most out of your training log.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
Triathlon training logs to help you train and race more effectively. Log your swim, bike, run, strength, other sports and nutrition all in one place. Includes race logs, reports and graphs.