General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New in New York Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-05 4:58 PM

Subject: New in New York
Hi all, I have been biking 22 miles 2x a week commuting and am thinking, why not get more serious about this? While I'm pretty comfortable running and swimming, I've never gotten excited about them. However, I think having a deadline and a motivation (sprint tri in April?) might help!

In terms of fitness, I also do vinyasa yoga 4-6 days a week, which keeps me well-balanced in terms of aerobic fitness, strength, and flexibility.

I have a few questions for you expert NYC triathletes out there. One question is, how can I work on getting up my speed on my bike? Even on the Hudson bike path (my commute), it can still be somewhat crowded/bumpy/turn-y. As someone who's been in a bike accident, where and how do I work up the confidence to go FAST!? I feel like this is my first obstacle in gaining speed more than fitness.

Also, my only bike right now is a 7-speed cruiser. Not the greatest for speed, but it's what I've got. Will I be okay training on this? I'm not fixated on getting amazing times, I just want to have a motivation to train. Maybe I'll reward myself with gear if I keep it up...

Thoughts? Thanks all!

2013-12-06 1:01 PM
in reply to: ellabella824

User image

Subject: RE: New in New York
Hi! I don't live in NYC, so I don't know where your training spaces are. You CAN train on a less than ideal bike and rent a bike for races. My guess is that as soon as you try a better bike, you'll buy one. There's no going back once you've ridden a race bike. I'm in Buffalo and at this time of year, all my cycling training is indoors on my trainer. Not as enjoyable, but effective. You might even just want to focus on swim and run for now, keep doing your commute, and worry about the bike next year if you enter a sprint and enjoy it. Don't put the money into a bike unless you're SURE you'll use it. They're not cheap!

That's just my 2 cents. I don't know if you can actually become really good at each sport at the same time. Last season I focussed on learning to swim. This season, I want to improve my cycling.

The most important thing is to enjoy yourself.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New in New York Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New member, new location in New York

Started by finderal
Views: 1384 Posts: 10

2012-02-08 10:04 PM Dlyon

New from New York

Started by skinnyfeather
Views: 835 Posts: 4

2010-01-05 7:33 AM KWin

New to BT from New York

Started by Ohiobucks
Views: 1146 Posts: 10

2008-08-19 9:34 PM Ohiobucks

New Member From New York

Started by Wolverine
Views: 605 Posts: 2

2006-06-13 2:37 PM marmadaddy

New from New York City

Started by nosweat
Views: 516 Posts: 2

2005-07-19 8:28 PM hoff1732
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them

author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.