General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Creating My Own HIM Tri Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-10 3:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Creating My Own HIM Tri Questions
Originally posted by CPA_PFS

Originally posted by skibummer

IF I s/b/r the HIM distances on my own, can I still claim to have finished a HIM?

OR is entering a race the only way to be legit?

You can claim anything you want. That doesn't mean that others will agree with you.

I know of one guy who counts every training run of 13.1 miles as "another half marathon". Really? It was a frickin training run. I don't know any runner I respect who counts runs longer than that as HMs. It seems to me you are doing the same.

But you definitely can't say you did a Half Ironman (WTC calls them Ironman 70.3). You might be able to claim you did a Half Iron Distance. But your "self event" is not an Ironman event. Kind of like playing a round of golf doesn't mean it was a PGA event.

I'm confused. Last time I checked, 13.1 miles IS half of a marathon run....Or does 26.2 miles only magically exsist when there are flags and a t-shirt?

Is 13.1 miles not legitimate even if it is recorded as such on Strava or any other app?

Since when is swimming 1.2 miles/riding 56 miles/ running 13.1 miles NOT 70.3 miles? Does it only magically appear when WTC puts it on?

The math doesn't change....only the way *YOU* perceive it.

Are you saying that all USAT certified non-WTC courses "Don't count"?

What is your line? And remember....There are just as many people who don't agree with YOU.

As to the OP: If you find a course in which you can do this well...It may be worth finding out how to set it up legally as a race so others can try it.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-12-10 4:07 PM

2013-12-10 4:27 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
We did this several times when we were first starting. Not half iron distance but a small unofficial race. Give it a name and make yourself a t shirt and go for it.

2013-12-10 4:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
We did this several times when we were first starting. Not half iron distance but a small unofficial race. Give it a name and make yourself a t shirt and go for it.

Oh and make sure you write a race report on BT. That makes it official.

Edited by Manatee Express 2013-12-10 4:28 PM
2013-12-10 4:30 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Chicago, IL

There was a thread on here a few months ago about a guy who organized and completed his own full-IM "race", with the support of his family and friends.
The response here on BT was overwhelmingly supportive and congratulatory, as much for the accomplishment as for the ingenuity and effort needed just to pull it off.

So, among most people who frequent this site, you can claim whatever you like. 70.3 is no joke.

2013-12-10 4:37 PM
in reply to: reecealan

Arden, North Carolina
I think doing something like this would be harder than a race. I know many will disagree with me, but there are way more motivations that help you along on race day. You have other competitors to push you, there are spectators, there are a whole host of other reasons that don't let you quit.
Also, you'll have a route planned for you so all you have to do is follow traffic. On your own you'll have to really know the route well. You'll have to completely provide all your own nutrition and drink. Bathrooms may be far more challenging to find. All the same issues on the run.

In the end, a sanctioned race, although "official", in my opinion is easier than doing one on your own. And yes, if you complete this home made 70.3 you completed a half iron distance race and deserve all the bragging rights that come with it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Creating My Own HIM Tri Questions Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

trying to create my own training plan

Started by sunray1985
Views: 2063 Posts: 17

2013-10-01 4:19 PM AdventureBear

Create Our Own Mentor Group? (June - September)

Started by xxblueyesxx
Views: 1219 Posts: 10

2010-06-08 6:23 AM ironannekidd

Create your own bikelane...

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 1379 Posts: 10

2009-01-21 1:48 PM wannakona

Creating your own training plan

Started by amyro1234
Views: 1571 Posts: 15

2008-06-03 9:41 PM velveeta

Creating my own training plan

Started by mildew33
Views: 870 Posts: 8

2006-02-09 7:54 AM Daremo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 13, 2011
author : DaveScott
comments : 0
Dave Scott, six-time Hawaii Ironman world champion, shares his insights and plenty of stories to help you define your own success.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.
date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.

date : March 12, 2005
author : Ron
A step-by-step guide to creating your own training plans from other sources to import into your training log anytime.