70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 55m 18s
Overall Rank = 817/2707
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/89
Pre-race routine:

WARNING: Long report! :)
I arrived in AZ on Tuesday, rented a car and drove the start of the bike course to the Beeline from Tempe before heading to Marie and Eric's in North Scottsdale. Marie and I had a great dinner out and I got the full tour of the amazing finished outdoor space. Wednesday she and Eric were out of town for work so I had the house to myself! It's gorgeous there! Got my special needs stuff and bags somewhat ready and had a little run with strides in town. Got groceries and relaxed in the hot tub before heading to bed.:) Thursday was a cluster f*ck. Starting with throwing up so hard (beet juice supplement didn't agree with me!) I gave myself a black eye!!!. Late to the pool, no towel (GAH) slower getting the bikes and checking in than expected, rode the Beeline longer than expected losing light on the way back, then back (in traffic) to Cath's hotel to drop my bike, change and head to the Endurance Nation Team dinner, which we were late for. I had to leave when everyone was introducing themselves to pick up Steve and Curt, whom I was late for. Grrrrr! We got to Maries and relaxed a bit. Phew! Friday was back to athlete village (about an hour away) so the guys could get their bikes and we could run. It was a hassle driving back and forth and arranging for lodging for our bikes, but it was great to be away from it all when at Maries. Saturday we got there to swim, drop gear bags, and bikes and our things in Pams room as we were staying there race night. I raced back to get the car keys and thank goodness I found my garmin and gamin 500 in the bag. BUT I left my phone with Steve and we got separated for 30' very stressful minutes. Finally after mooching the parking attendants phone, we were ready to go. We had a great dinner with Marie and Eric, celebrated Curts B-day and watched the Kona broadcast. Our friend Daniel was in it twice, and of course I cried! Marie came in my room while I was finishing up, I shared with her my motivation pictures and we talked race times and goals. She really got me focused on T1 and 2 and not to waste time there...which saved me from missing my Big Fat Hairy Goal of going sub 12. Then to bed and a decent nights sleep. :)
Event warmup:

Pacing around pre start, hugging everyone I knew, crying in my goggles! :-D

Actually, it was just the short swim from the entry point under the bridges to the start position and treading water till the gun.
Swim
  • 1h 16m 51s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not having had the opportunity to pre swim here, was a problem. There was a short swim on saturday which basically served as a "Yes, your booties and neo cap are perfect for this water temp" swim with a chance to practice the weird bleacher exit and that was it.

Since swimming is usually my strong suit I did not put the effort into being as detailed as the bike and run in my race prep. I figured (incorrectly!) that since it was a single loop with out an exit like IMFL and IMLP I would be able to swim as fast as IMFL with a bit less training, capitalizing on the non stop draft and no land time. WRONG! My pace for the distance was correct for my 1:10-1:12 swim I was thinking I'd get, but my sighting was TERRIBLE! Lesson learned!

I got beat up pretty good this race...it seemed I was out of the main draft, but getting clobbered anyhow! More dudes felt me up in that swim than my whole four years in college lol! I got calf, foot and hamstring cramps at different times in the race...the hammy cramps are scary, but I knew from my crappy experience in Spain it would not affect the bike or run, so I just slowed, and relaxed till they stopped. The repeated beat downs meant tensing up and repeated cramps though. Not fun. As is my norm in IM swims, I got the obligatory kick in my face so hard that I lifted my head up and yelled "F*CK!" Gotta love mass starts! ;)
The other challenging bit to this swim in particular (other than no race rehearsal) is the exit. The exit is a set of sunken bleachers that I was told would have volunteers helping you out of...kind of swim up and they haul you out. Nope. I swim up (a cluster as you'd imagine) and the volunteer says "hop up...use the rail"...so I try and hoist my arse up and miss...back into the drink. Try again..fumble fumble crawl and finally got up. Booooo!
What would you do differently?:

Take this part of the race just as seriously as the rest of it. I was a bit fluffy on my swims leading into the race as well as not planning a more detailed race plan for this leg. Next IM will not be a personal worst swim time!
Transition 1
  • 07m
Comments:

Well, my hostess and Kona Krush Marie gave me a stern talking to about my transition times. I listened. And visualized on the ride from Scottsdale to the race site. It seems to have worked! I hustled and got in and out quickly with the help of some awesome volunteers. They helped sunblock me, put my jersey on and handed me my glasses and helmet. They rocked!

Not much...this was very speedy for me...very speedy!
Bike
  • 5h 51m 4s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

We had just about PERFECT weather. Chilly early, and minimal winds. The first lap there was a great tailwind on the downhill after the turnaround. The wind and congestion on the course was higher on the second lap. Third lap the wind was a bit higher, but still not bad at all.
My goal was to be steady eddy on the entire course, staying super aero and consistent with my power output. Because of the nature of the three loops it was much more congested than I felt comfy with and my power was not nearly as steady as I had hoped it would be. It wasn't horrible, but could have been better. I got off the bike twice to pee (darn it! still can't go on the bike!)
My other goal was to put out gut issues if they flared up. And of course they did. I trained from 8/13 on to use perform and power bars. No issues during training, but a little in the last two race rehearsals. I was prepared with Immodium and I had to take it quite early in the bike. Most of my cramping was reduced and I was able to ride as I wanted about 45 minutes after that. I had taped a couple gels to the bike in case the power bars were not going well, and I'm glad I did. I used them at mile 80 and as my last feeding before getting off the bike. The caffeine was a nice boost too.

I think I will take the Immodium pre race from now on and practice that next season. I always seem to drink a bit of whatever body of water I swim in (yuck!) and perhaps this will nip the gut issues in the bud.
I also need to ride even more steady. I was short of my watts goal and left a bit of time on the table I think. And PEE ON THE BIKE ALREADY lol!
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

THE best volunteers ever! I even switched out socks (which I should not have...I didn't pee on the bike after all!)

One gal put my race belt on, one gal sprayed me with sunblock and put my visor on me while I got socks and shoes on....I grabbed a biogel, face wipe and split.

Keep the socks from the bike on. I don't usually ride with socks, so that was out of my norm to have um on. Other wise nothing. Seriously, this is LIGHTNING fast for me lol!
Run
  • 4h 38m 22s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

HOLY SH*T! I did it! I finally had the run I've been dreaming of and working on since IMFL 2010! I ran from aid to aid, NO WALKING IN BETWEEN! Whooo Hooooo! My garmin got bumped about 2.1 miles in, so I had to reboot the watch to get splits. I was not sure where I was chasing my time goal of sub 12. I just kept on staying steady, and taking in my nutrition as planned. I ran up that damn Curry hill both times, and LOVED it! I kept waiting for the wheels to come off, but they never did. My buddy Trish smacked my butt at mile 20 in my first IM and I promised her that was her mile...I even smacked myself on the fanny! ;) The big fat full orange moon rising was a blessing to see. Just gorgeous! Being cheered by Brian (who was all over the course...my adoptive sherpa extrodinare!) and all my friends and their families and Marie and Eric was great! Eric told me to hit my time I had to run 10:20s and I figured there was no way. Endurance Nation execution means no racing till mile 18, then get it going on...use your one thing...the reason you are racing. Mine was NO REGRETS. I had itb pain and I put my biofreeze on it and told myself NO REGRETS MARSHALL! In mile 24 a gal in my ag passed me...I was like...ah NO. I passed her back, looking for her shadow as I passed under lights and finally checking over my shoulder to see where she was. She was far enough behind that I could get one more dose of coke at the last aid. Then it was about 1.3 to finish. Some guys said we were one small hill away from the shoot...I started to run harder, having no idea where I was on the clock. Then I saw Marie and Eric going NUTS...screaming YOUR GOING TO MAKE YOUR TIME!!! I had no idea how close I was to 12 hours so I put down the hammer (lol...9 minutes miles...felt like 6:30s lol) and low and behold...I see the clock...11:55:xx!!!!!!! HOLY SH*T! I did it!

Not much at all. Maybe try and push harder the last 10k. I had to take another Immodium early on the run and wish I could get my stomach issues to settle down, but I did triage and it seemed to work.

This is the first long distance race I did not get passed by people on the run. I passed 146 runners, and one girl in my AG, also a first. Super happy with my run and beating my big fat hairy goal. Landing 8th in my AG was awesome too! I've never placed higher than 31in an IM. Even if I didn't age up this year, I'd have been 14th in 45-49. Color me HAPPY!
Post race
Warm down:

The poor volunteer who caught me...got the most excited athlete EVER! I was so geeked and in shock that I'd met my goal I could not shut up lol! I met up with Marie, Eric and Steve. Got my picture with Steve!!! Walked a bit and finally found a port a pot in the medical area. I felt much better than in races past. Whoda thunk going faster would leave me feeling better!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim was my achililes heel this race. If I would have put down the 1:10 swim I know I'm capable of I would have no complaints at all. That and my persistent gut issues on the bike. I think if I can get that handled my bike times will definitely improve.

Event comments:

As always, racing is so much more meaningful to me when shared with friends. There was a LOT of love out on the course with 20 of us from MI racing, my host and hostess (and kona krush) Marie and Eric,Not to mention Coach Rich from Endurance Nation at mile 18. All my ATCK friends families and Fraser families cheered like crazy for me and that meant the world on the run and bike! All my friends following along at home...well, I got all the love they sent. Dave even had the neighbors over to watch my finish on the big screen! LOVED! Thats what I am!

There is something about IM...Part of me hates the commercial jazz that IM is, but there is this other part of doing something with your body and pushing your limits that just can not be replicated...IM gives you the challenge and thousands of friends to share the day with. This year I was fortunate to race with five first time racers and to feed off their excitement and share my limited knowledge of the IM distance race. It was a great opportunity once again to be a part of their days. I'm looking forward to playing in the Mountains of Quebec with many of them next year! :-) After a nice break of course!

Last updated: 2012-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:16:51 | 3862 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/89
Overall: 934/2707
Performance: Below average
Actual data from garmin 2.68 mile swim :-/ That means I swam the pace I expected, but I overachieved on distance. Darn it!
Suit: Full Zoot
Course: Basically a rectangle that angles , into the sun on the way out.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:51:04 | 112 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/89
Overall: 964/2707
tss 220, IF .61 avg hr 136, max 163 avg cad 105, max 239 avg power 125, max 380 NP 130, goal was 138 VI 1.04
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loops of 37 miles on a flat course with one 5-6 mile false flat (and nice downhill) on the Beeline. Wind is the biggest factor out here!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 105
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:38:22 | 26.2 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/89
Overall: 0/2707
Course: 2 loops course back and forth around the Tempe Town lake with one hill you do each loop. It's not as flat as IMFL, but not nearly as hilly as IMLP. I'm glad it was changed to two loops instead of 3 as in years past...there were lots of turns this year, and from what I've heard, even more in the years past.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-12-07 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2013-12-07 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4909879

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Great Race!

Sorry to hear about your experience at the swim exit. I was a volunteer there and I can assure you you were not in my lane (nor either of the lanes near me) We were yanking people out left and right. Put your knees or butt on the bottom step, reach up, and we pulled you up!

Congrats on making your goal time!

2013-12-10 7:31 AM
in reply to: JamieS

User image

Expert
THANK YOU FOR VOLUNTEERING! I had no breath to thank many folks on the day, but it is so appreciated!!!

Trust me, that swim exit was the least of my poorly sighted swim issues lol!
2013-12-10 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4909879

User image

Thanks for the report - it ROCKED and made my lunch hour here in Dilbert Land. "More dudes felt me up in that swim than my whole four years in college lol!" - CLASSIC!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2

Started by tjfry
Views: 7566 Posts: 33

2006-04-13 6:25 PM tjfry

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MikeB
Views: 10692 Posts: 60

2006-04-12 11:01 AM devotchkatata

Ironman Arizona

Started by stinger
Views: 1679 Posts: 7

2005-07-09 10:57 PM cadreamer

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madcow
Views: 6507 Posts: 53

2005-04-20 11:48 AM DB8

Ironman Arizona - Tiger Phil's Story Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 7177 Posts: 74

2006-06-21 7:53 AM benihana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.

date : May 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 4
It is my opinion that even though everyone else considered her a triathlete, she did not consider herself one. I think she still felt like she had no fitness direction and had given up on triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!