General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Austin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-09 10:39 AM

User image

Subject: New to Austin
Hi there

I will be moving to Austin Texas in the January/February time frame and would like some feedback on master's swim teams, group bike rides etc.

Appreciate your help and I look forward to the warmer weather!

2013-12-10 12:50 PM
in reply to: KTpitbull

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: New to Austin
Hi KT, welcome to Austin soon. Great place to live and train. That said, I couldn't even begin to cover all your options to your question. Where will you be living? That could help narrow it down. Are you looking for free groups or paid? Fun, social groups, or more serious stuff?

There are run groups all over town that train every day of the week. Same with the bike. Swimming is a little more narrow, but still plenty of places. Not sure about Master's groups but I am sure someone else could chime in on that. Nitro seems to be popular.
2013-12-10 4:09 PM

Austin Texas
Hi, Welcome to Austin, I live here as well. For group rides Jack and Adams, one of the better Tri shops, does good routes from their shop downtown every Sunday. Really good group of people. Swimming, I used to swim with T3 tri group. I don't think it's really a masters group, but they are a pretty hardcore group of people of all levels that swim with Mo the owner/coach at a couple different locations. An Olympian swimmer trained with our group pretty often. Running groups include Rogue, Gilbert's Gazelles and Austin Fit, Rogue being the most hardcore, imho.
Jack and Adams, with High Five events put on most of the tri events around town. They do a great job. Have fun !
2013-12-10 7:16 PM
in reply to: poodleboy

User image

Veteran
Austin
Welcome to Austin. Depending on where you live. But all the Bike shops have great rides. I prefer Mellow Johnnys downtown. But Jack and Adams, Bicycle Sports Shop, Southwest Cycle all have good rides. Many many choices. Pure Austin, and a place up north have swimming and running. Rogue, Gilberts Gazzeles and many more. Steiner Ranch has a good Sunday morning ride from the ice cream shop. You can run downdown on the trails around the lake. I swim at Zillker and Deep Eddy when it is warm. Westlake has a swim club, Nitro, and some of the larger health clubs have pools. You will like Austin a great place to live.
2013-12-17 6:18 PM

User image

Austin

Woohoo, welcome to Austin!

What ever you do try to get out to lake PF to train once in a while, I swear during season the lake is full of us either running, biking or swimming in, on or around it.

Not part of any specific club myself but I keep looking into joining that Pure Austin gym just for access to the quarry and the track around it.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do and let us know.

2014-01-29 5:09 PM

User image

Austin

If you have moved here now, how are your allergies?

2014-03-07 10:21 AM

User image

Northwest Family Y has a masters team that meets 6-7am or noon-1pm MWF and 7am on Saturdays (endurance day). I believe the East Y also has masters, and many of the other Y of Austin locations might as well.

Welcome to TX!

Casey Arendt
2014-03-10 10:40 AM

User image

New user

welcome!
I am a member of Lifetime Fitness south and they have a good masters swim program that I have done before. I also really like their cycling instructors for spin. I have trained with Rogue Running before for my first half marathon and they are a really fun group. They have groups for every level of runner too so I wouldn't say its "hardcore" as in super elitist or anything like that.I took a swim clinic from T3 when I first started Tri-ing and I learned a ton. I have heard their actual training programs are pretty hardcore but have never participated. Everyone is right on this thread. Jack and Adam's tri shop is THE BEST with regards to south Austin tri shops. They are so friendly and really go the extra mile to help you out so you keep coming back. Last time I was in there, Jack chatted with me for about 30 minutes and I picked his brain about my first HIM distance. They are great people and put on great events! For women's only training groups, Jack recommended Tough Cookies and Tri Zones.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Austin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Austin/ New Orleans

Started by BlazeB5
Views: 871 Posts: 3

2009-11-24 6:54 AM Comet

New member near Austin

Started by Tyrell
Views: 563 Posts: 2

2009-06-09 8:41 PM Ron

New in Austin

Started by rvcastillo23
Views: 648 Posts: 2

2009-04-27 4:12 PM PLMsbr

New Triathlete in Austin Texas Pages: 1 2

Started by austinrose
Views: 1978 Posts: 36

2005-08-02 10:19 AM rcjeffers

New in Austin

Started by sueinaustin
Views: 800 Posts: 7

2004-05-12 11:54 AM evrunning
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.