General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-03-02 11:59 AM
in reply to: sirdizzy

User image

Utah
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 St. George : Official Thread
Due to the weather, the turn out wasn't great at all, but the guys doing the clinic were great and very knowledgeable. They have both done it several times, including when it was a 140.6. They had their Garmin data to show the elevations and grade of the course, plus YouTube videos of it. Basically it all boiled down to this...HILLS. There is even one point in Snow Canyon that the grade for the bike course is up to 13%, though not for long. They also stressed that this is not a course for speed, so don't go for any PR's unless you are looking for a PR for this specific race, to beat a prior year's time on the same course. They also had some good hints that are really nothing new, but good reminders, especially considering the difficulty of this course.

-One would be to just pace yourself as much as possible. Don't go out too fast in any portion because you are DEFINITELY going to need it later.

-Don't let your legs burn at any time, if they do, you are going too hard and you are going to regret it later, unless of course you are in the finisher's chute

- The weather for this course has been very unpredictable the last few years. Be prepared for anything. Very cool start at the swim start, but could remain cool or even get up to the 90's by the run, so be prepared with arm sleeves, wind breakers, whatever. Rather be too prepared than not have something you need and have a crappy race because of it. They also stressed to DON"T SKIP THE SUNSCREEN.

-Due to the climbing, one of the guys even recommended using a road bike with aero bars unless you are VERY good with your tri bike. Luckily, a roadie with clip on aero's is all I have

-Town/local support for this race is incredible. The community all comes out making for a great race week experience. Apparently the finisher's chute is unparalleled, the final 3/4 of a mile you supposedly feel like a rockstar. These two guys have done other IM Branded events and said this was by far the best Finish Line. Something to look forward too!

Those are the things that stood out. They said that overall, if you have stuck to your training, regardless of your ability level, have a good attitude and realistic expectations, you will enjoy the day and the race. It scared me and got my pumped at the same time. It was worth the 1.5 hour drive I made to go

2014-03-02 2:15 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Thanks for the recap, Katie!  Sounds like a lot of good information.

I got out for a long ride (on the Galveston 70.3 course) this morning....got to practice my flat changing skills, pacing, and dealing with strong cross winds -- one of those will come in handy for the race, and the other two I'm hoping to not have to deal with.  Have plans to find some hills in two weeks to work on that!

Followed up the 61 mile ride with a quick 3 mile run -- working on keeping the first mile SUPER easy and building from there.  I have a tendency to throw down a fast first mile and end up dying later on.

Hope everyone else had a good training weekend.  See you in nine weeks (yikes!)

2014-03-03 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4957064

User image

Elite
Thank you so much for the recap Katie! It makes me nervous and excited as well. But, my training has been solid and I've been climbing, climbing, climbing. I can't wait!
2014-03-03 12:44 PM

User image

Katie the worst hill is easily Snow Canyon, the problem with that stretch is it goes on for like 4 miles around mile 40 so your legs are pretty dead by the time you hit that hill. There is 4 major climbs that you will do with some few small hills to keep it interesting throughout and that last climb is the killer. I swear at times they looked for hills there is a half mile detour at mile 53 to make a climb which is just stupid that really could have gotten that half mile several other places on the course but to ride you down a hill to ride back up it at 53 makes you want to scream. The same goes for the run there is a little half mile detour around mile 11 to make you run uphill. First hill is around 5 and its the steepest but its only a mile, then I think around 15 you hit hill 2 its more of a gradual grinder hill. Hill 3 is around 28 or so and its steep but short. Hill 4 is snow canyon and its a beast its 3-4 miles long and a grinder climb with yes some grades of %13 near the top. You then pretty much drop straight down for the last 12 miles so if you like a long downhill climb in aero there you go.

The thing about the run is you gotta be careful you run uphill for 4 miles then you get this nice little breather downhill, I hit my second wind there and was like wheeee lets run through the aid station at mile 5 forgetting you have to reclimb that hill at mile 7 and I was toast. I couldn't take advantage of that fast last 4 miles as my legs were like we are done you SOB.

In the 4 years they have put on the race the weather has looked like year 1 extremely cold, year 2 extremely hot, year 3 extremely windy (this is the infamous last year of the full when they were pulling people out of the water because the wind was so bad and causing 20 foot chop) and last year as the 70.3 actually pretty good temps and wind unless you were slow like me as at the 7 hour mark it started to climb to around mid 80's but if you were faster you could have finished in the 70's.

Oh and yea the town support is amazing my favorite race photo ever came from the chute where I was high fiving little kids on the way in (and because of issues I finished in 8 hours and there was still tons of people out there cheering you on)

If anyone would like some strava data from it I have some plus I might be riding and running course this weekend I can get some additional date from it.

Originally posted by KatieLimb

Due to the weather, the turn out wasn't great at all, but the guys doing the clinic were great and very knowledgeable. They have both done it several times, including when it was a 140.6. They had their Garmin data to show the elevations and grade of the course, plus YouTube videos of it. Basically it all boiled down to this...HILLS. There is even one point in Snow Canyon that the grade for the bike course is up to 13%, though not for long. They also stressed that this is not a course for speed, so don't go for any PR's unless you are looking for a PR for this specific race, to beat a prior year's time on the same course. They also had some good hints that are really nothing new, but good reminders, especially considering the difficulty of this course.

-One would be to just pace yourself as much as possible. Don't go out too fast in any portion because you are DEFINITELY going to need it later.

-Don't let your legs burn at any time, if they do, you are going too hard and you are going to regret it later, unless of course you are in the finisher's chute

- The weather for this course has been very unpredictable the last few years. Be prepared for anything. Very cool start at the swim start, but could remain cool or even get up to the 90's by the run, so be prepared with arm sleeves, wind breakers, whatever. Rather be too prepared than not have something you need and have a crappy race because of it. They also stressed to DON"T SKIP THE SUNSCREEN.

-Due to the climbing, one of the guys even recommended using a road bike with aero bars unless you are VERY good with your tri bike. Luckily, a roadie with clip on aero's is all I have

-Town/local support for this race is incredible. The community all comes out making for a great race week experience. Apparently the finisher's chute is unparalleled, the final 3/4 of a mile you supposedly feel like a rockstar. These two guys have done other IM Branded events and said this was by far the best Finish Line. Something to look forward too!

Those are the things that stood out. They said that overall, if you have stuck to your training, regardless of your ability level, have a good attitude and realistic expectations, you will enjoy the day and the race. It scared me and got my pumped at the same time. It was worth the 1.5 hour drive I made to go
2014-03-03 3:02 PM

User image

Sirdizzy nailed it. The course has cruel turns. Mile 53 on the bike and mile 11 on the run are just evil. I have never been so mad than at mile 11 on that run. I was not expecting that little out and back. And to put it on an uphill?!!! Cruel and demented. So, just expect that. The worst of the pain is not truly over until you get to Diagonal St. for the last time. Tough course...
2014-03-03 5:18 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

New user
Snow Canyon is killer but the run is an absolute beast. Gradual run up hill out of town then you turn the corner and it goes straight up for, what seems like forever. Then a downhill that you know you have to run back up again!!!! Only good thing about the run is that most of the last stretch is all down back into town.

I loved the course, the town and the people. I'm doing some different races this year but I'm probably going to do St. George again next year.

Good luck in your training.

2014-03-03 5:25 PM
in reply to: psuross92

User image

Heres hoping for next year they haven't renewed the contract yet, it was a 5 year contract but it looks hopeful (they sold out last year and I've heard they are close to selling out this year).

I started doing hills on course again last week and man I forgot how much I hate that run course its just pure evil. You hit that %9 grade uphill climb around 2.25 I think and it freaking goes up for a mile and half its just brutal then you drop down and like you said you gotta go back up that darn thing. I was too trashed to enjoy the last 4 miles last year (I cut my foot on something on the walk to the swim start and my foot was bleeding really bad by that point felt like I was running on shards of broken glass and made me cramp for 69 of the 70 miles).

Originally posted by psuross92

Snow Canyon is killer but the run is an absolute beast. Gradual run up hill out of town then you turn the corner and it goes straight up for, what seems like forever. Then a downhill that you know you have to run back up again!!!! Only good thing about the run is that most of the last stretch is all down back into town.

I loved the course, the town and the people. I'm doing some different races this year but I'm probably going to do St. George again next year.

Good luck in your training.
2014-03-19 9:21 AM

User image

Utah
Bump

We are less than 7 weeks out, which is about 5 weeks of training plus a two week taper! It's getting closer!

Anyone else see that Crowie has committed to the race! WooHoo for being on the course with such a bad azz!

How's everyone's training going?
2014-03-19 10:07 AM

User image

I have been able to keep up with about 95% of my training plan thus far with a fairly high level of quality workouts so I'm pretty happy. I have a half-marathon "tune-up" race this saturday. If that goes well (around 1:35) then I will be super happy as to my radiness for Red Cliffs Parkway. The half is Riverton Half here in Utah and it is a hilly one. So we'll see....

I'm excited for Crowie, I just hope he also races this year. Last year he just came and mingled with us, which was cool but not as cool as seeing him out on the course. It was great last year to see all the Pros on the course and it would be cool to see Crowie out there too.
2014-03-19 11:03 AM

User image

I started analyzing my training for it this year versus last year and I was shocked how much further ahead I am this year. I totally thought I was prepared last year, well I did finish, but I am so much better off this year.

I haven't ridden much of course this year except I have been running and riding red hills parkway a lot. I need to get out and get on Snow Canyon (heard members of my triclub rode it last weekend in a nasty 25 mph headwind and one of the bikers crashed coming down SR18 when the wind turned into a crosswind).
2014-03-24 7:06 AM

User image

Elite

I just did an Olympic tri this weekend and did well (2nd in age group!) The bike course was very hilly with some shorter steep climbs--many people were off their bikes walking them up but not this girl!  Felt very strong.  My run was good as well--happy with that.  I am feeling ready but nervous for St. George. Met a guy at the race this weekend that did it last year.  He laughed and said 'be ready for a long day!" 

Sounds like everyone's training is going great!  

2014-03-24 5:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hows everyone's training going? Had another big weekend for me. Ran 7 miles on ironman course of Friday for hills workout (this is 3.5 up and 3.5 back) and also to burn my legs out for a half marathon the next day. That may seem odd but I was pacing the 2:40 group and I have never run a half that slow so I thought on dead legs it would be easier, luckily the 2:30 pacer wanted to switch and while the 2:30 was still too easy it was much more manageable on dead legs. It was also a uphill half. Then I did 60 miles on Sunday. I tried to simulate climbing Snow Canyon on dead legs by hitting the red hills parkway hill (I jumped on course in Washington about 35 miles into my ride and rode it for 15 miles or so, I went from the bottom of the hill in Washington to the guard station in Snow Canyon) this had me on the Red Hills parkway hill around mile 45. Nope didn't work that hill still doesn't come as close to sucking as much as Snow Canyon does even at mile 45.

Heard good news it seems like they took the nasty turn into the golf course at mile 11 out, maybe they heard us thing that was just cruel.

Edited by sirdizzy 2014-03-24 6:00 PM
2014-03-24 6:58 PM

User image

Where did you hear that? That would be awesome. That little out and back is just cruel...
2014-03-25 8:36 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
St. George
Just checked the run course map and directions. That little loop at the 11 mile mark is gone. Looks like they added that extra distance up on Redhills.

Edited by PbMan 2014-03-25 9:01 AM
2014-03-25 10:41 AM
in reply to: PbMan

User image

That's correct the run map they just released shows the revised course with the golf course gone from it yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa

It looks like you make a turn somewhere before you go under the bridge and do an outback to make up for it, it seems a little confusing but it means you can just fly from mile 9 down now without that cruel turn.
2014-03-26 2:40 PM

New user
Utah
Am I the only one that liked that little loop up to the golf course? I thought it was cruel too, but the whole run is cruel. It seemed like one last reminder to help you remember the epic day you just had.

2014-03-26 6:37 PM
in reply to: jpay

User image

Originally posted by jpay

Am I the only one that liked that little loop up to the golf course? I thought it was cruel too, but the whole run is cruel. It seemed like one last reminder to help you remember the epic day you just had.

Now that there is crazy talk Jpay. After a crazy course like St. George, with Snow Canyon, heat and/or wind, and Red Cliffs Parkway, do I really need a final reminder? No. Trust me, that course is unforgettable to me without having it kick me in the groin one last time before I head out to the fnish line.
2014-03-26 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4910704

User image

Utah
I'm excited about the pro line up so far! Crowie, Corbin, etc.

My training this past weekend was awesome, 10 mile run on Friday night then a 50 mile ride Saturday morning. The ride was cold and windy, but still enjoyable. Been out of the pool this week due to an ear infection, then sick kids, so only a brief ride yesterday. Doing my first race of the season, Icebreaker sprint Tri on Saturday. Excited to be at a start line again!
2014-03-27 10:29 AM
in reply to: jpay

New user
St. George
Originally posted by jpay

I'm also disappointed that it is gone. Don't make it easier. Keep it brutal. On the old IM course we hit that thing twice on each loop.

Still hoping for wind and heat on May 3rd. The way this spring has been going that may be the case.
2014-03-30 12:28 PM

User image

New user

Southern California

Hi All

I was checking out the run elevation graph and it's showing over 2,000 ft of elevation gain but I thought it was about half that last year. Is the elevation graph right? I'm training on hills but if the run is 2x the elevation gain I'm going to need to step up the training.

Thanks,
Kim
2014-04-03 9:54 AM
in reply to: dakota1013

User image

Bib #'s and the Athlete Guide are up!

2014-04-03 11:19 AM

User image

Utah
Woohoo! Bib #957! It's one month from today, 4 weeks from Saturday! It's getting real!
2014-04-03 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

When are they going to post the wave schedule?  I've been anxiously waiting for that basically since I signed up!

2014-04-13 1:19 PM

User image

Elite

Three weeks!  Can't wait--OK, honestly can't wait for it to be over! LOL!  Did my last big brick this morning--3:30 on the trainer followed by 30 minute run.  Feeling good, feeling prepared.  Well actually, it's starting to fluctuate--one minute I'm saying "I got this!" and the next I'm saying "can I do this?!"

Running the Salt Lake City half marathon on Saturday--just treating it like a training run.

Everyone ready?!

2014-04-13 2:03 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hah, I feel you -- sometimes I'm really excited and sometimes I'm like, "is this over yet?"  And sometimes I'm like, "I've got this!" and other times I'm like, "Oh god, can I really do this??"

Pretty big training weekend here -- 60 mile ride followed by a 6 mile run yesterday, and a 12 mile run this morning.  And a well-deserved/earned massage in an hour

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 St. George : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by garrunning
Views: 22942 Posts: 159

2013-05-06 4:36 PM tomspharmacy

Ironman St. George : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by LittleCat
Views: 63167 Posts: 794

2012-05-18 12:01 AM citaltfort

Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread

Started by ironlib
Views: 4317 Posts: 14

2011-01-16 12:28 PM LittleCat

Ironman St. George : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by LittleCat
Views: 42204 Posts: 315

2011-07-01 5:46 PM 3Aims

Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by rbalazs
Views: 91672 Posts: 1063

2010-05-21 3:36 PM doughavlin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.