General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Miami Marathon Weather & Other Jan/Feb Races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-10 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Miami Marathon Weather & Other Jan/Feb Races
Has anyone done the Miami Marathon? I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible on the weather, specifically the humidity that time of year. Also, any other good BQ races in January or first week of Feb? I've looked at Carlsbad, Yuma and Houston (sold out)... curious if there are any other recommendations.

2013-12-11 10:23 AM
in reply to: LazyMarathoner

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Miami Marathon Weather & Other Jan/Feb Races
Baton Rouge and New Orleans are both good BQ courses. Baton Rouge isn't FLAT flat, but no big climbs at all. New Orleans is flat. My husband is going for BQ there.
2013-12-11 10:38 AM

User image

Pro

I did ING Miami in 2012. Race report here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=423216

It was pretty dang humid. It was overcast, which helped with the heat, but not the humidity.

It was about as flat as a course can get, though.

2013-12-11 11:19 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Humidity is a relative term. When I go to MN/WI in the summer, my relatives are freaked out about the "humidity" when it's at 40%. For me, it feels dry. I can even scratch lines into my skin.

In the summer, the humidity in Miami is in the 80% to 100% range. In the winter it is in the 40% to 70% range. For a Floridian that's dry, from what I've noticed on BT anything over 50% is like breathing water.

The temperature is a coin toss. It can be in the mid to high 80s or a cold front will come through and it can be in the 50s. Don't expect anything lower than that, though. It could be a freak wave and you can have a week of mid to low 90s.

I grew up in Miami and now live in Central Florida. Forecasting weather more than an hour in advance is a joke. Your best bet would be to prepare for anything. In a three hour race it can go from overcast, to sunny, to windy, then it'll rain for 5 minutes on one side of the street (yes, I've driven down A1A when it was raining on the southbound side and the northbound side was completely dry. As a kid I would call my friend down the street and ask if it was raining at his house so we can determine where to play), finally it'll be hotter than hell as you watch the rain evaporate. 

2013-12-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

It was pretty dang humid. It was overcast, which helped with the heat, but not the humidity.

I'll take a 113º day in AZ over an 80º summer day in FL.

Edited by vertseven 2013-12-11 11:22 AM
2013-12-11 2:19 PM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by vertseven

I'll take a 113º day in AZ over an 80º summer day in FL.

Not me.  I've lived in western semi-arid/arid heat and dryness.  I prefer where I'm at on the east coast central FL.  Drove home for lunch today when it was 81F and sunny with the windows down loving paradise!

OP, what vertseven said about the weather is dead on though.  Can't really predict ahead of time what the weather will be for an event in FL will like until it is about a week out or more likely a couple days out depending on how the weather systems are moving.

A few years ago a Friend did a winter Fort Lauderdale HM all ready to PR the race.  Weather ended up being cloudy, ~65F and humid, he didn't PR.  Meanwhile ~3 hours north on the other side of the cold front is was it was sunny and nice and cool but windy.  That's what you can get for FL winter, all depends.

2013-12-11 3:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I did Ragnar Florida Keys, which starts in Miami in early January.  I was coming from Minnesota, so I was VERY much not acclimated.  I would say it was pretty nice, temp and humidity wise, until noon.  So, in that way it would be ok for a marathon. 

That said.... I have a history of running races in warmer climates in the winter and I really do suffer.   So, if you're coming from a place with winterish weather I would suggest it would be very hard to PR.   Maybe you're tougher than I, or have a good plan for acclimating.  I am running the Phoenix Marathon on March 1st this year and plan to run inside a lot to prep for the warm/dry conditions.  That might be one worth looking at. I am not sure about it's BQ potential, I am doing the half.  The half course looks fast.  http://thephoenixmarathon.com/marathon/

Here's last year's Miami weather history data: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMIA/2013/2/2/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Miami&req_state=FL&req_statename=Florida

And you can go back many years to see the trends.

I totally agree about the weather being so changeable, too.   I did the half marathon in Key West and we had a spot of very hot/humid weather on race morning.  It rained later that day and it was dry and nice for the rest of the week.  You just can't know.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-12-11 3:46 PM
2013-12-11 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4911344

User image

Traditionally the weather for the Miami marathon is cool at the start (around 65) and hot at the finish (like 82). If you want to bq you might want to know that of our local races the Ft. Lauderdale a1a marathon is a faster race. It is normally 2 weeks later a little cooler and a much smaller (and in my opinion better organized) race.

I run the miami half pretty much every year. The start of the Miami race is ridiculously crowded. As we are the banana republic we have little respect for the corral system so be advised that its in your best interest to push as far toward the front as you can. Don't be surprised if even if you do that after a quarter mile you find yourself surrounded by walkers.

The finish of the marathon can be very hot even for those runners acclimated to tropical weather. There is very little if any shade in the last 5 miles and for some totally insane reason the race takes runners about a half-mile out towards key biscayne and then back towards downtown for the finish. It is apparently brutal.

Good luck and have fun.
2013-12-11 8:11 PM

User image

Regular
Tallahassee Marathon is Feb 2. Weather is usually cool. Course is flat and a high percentage of BQ finishers.

Link Here: http://www.tallahasseemarathon.com/

2013-12-12 9:18 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by miamiamy There is very little if any shade in the last 5 miles and for some totally insane reason the race takes runners about a half-mile out towards key biscayne and then back towards downtown for the finish. It is apparently brutal. Good luck and have fun.

I asked my friend that I was running with if they were making us go over the bridge. I knew the course, and I knew we didn't go over it, but I panicked and was convinced we'd have to. You just run under it, though

Miamiamy mentioned the A1A Marathon in Ft Lauderdale. If you're looking to BQ, that's a great option. The course is flat, and it stays near the water. A nice breeze from the ocean can really help mitigate the humidity. Also, it's a smaller field - so it's less crowded - and it's REALLY easy logistically. And Ft Lauderdale is cheaper than Miami in general, which is nice. 

2013-12-12 12:17 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Melbourne, Florida

I asked my friend that I was running with if they were making us go over the bridge. I knew the course, and I knew we didn't go over it, but I panicked and was convinced we'd have to. You just run under it, though

Running over the Powell bridge (twice) would kill anyone's BQ dream.

I agree with the miamiamy and ratherbeswimming - the A1A Marathon is better for a BQ shot. It's a much faster course. A few loopy turns at first, but then it's a straight shot up and back along the coast (A1A).

The Space Coast Marathon (December 2nd) is, perhaps, the only easier race. Up and back along the Indian River. This year wasn't great because of the strong north wind for the first and last 6.5 mile stretches. The tailwind was great, but I only ran the 1/2 marathon. 

2013-12-14 3:45 PM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks so much for all of this info! Really helpful. It's not for me, thankfully I BQd in Chicago! My BF is looking to qualify and humidity is a concern. Heat is fine. We're New Yorkers, we can't handle it! These look like great options, will check them out!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Miami Marathon Weather & Other Jan/Feb Races Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training for Tri's and a Half Marathon in Feb, need help

Started by cecjap
Views: 571 Posts: 2

2008-11-27 7:43 PM jsklarz

Raced agains Hincapie, Valverde, and others !!!

Started by Simon de Kerpel
Views: 1016 Posts: 11

2006-11-07 8:59 AM alltom1

Best half marathon in the Southeast - Jan/Feb

Started by chris hughes
Views: 1668 Posts: 20

2006-11-17 12:04 PM runnergirl

What are A races vs others?

Started by Bcozican
Views: 616 Posts: 3

2005-06-21 10:37 AM TH3_FRB

Looking Triathlong/Running Race/Clinics between now and Feb 13/05

Started by Rennick
Views: 546 Posts: 3

2005-01-24 9:33 AM Rennick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2012
author : TheClaaaw
comments : 4
A back of back of packer feels sympathy for the vast middle of the pack who never gets nearly as many cheers.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.

date : November 19, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on IM heart-rate zones, LT zone testing, off season focus, aero helmets, flats and tires, 650 or 700cc, cold weather and marathon recovery.
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.