General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming w/ High School Swim Team ***Update*** Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-12-10 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Swimming w/ High School Swim Team ***Update***
Thought I would give a quick update to my progress with the local HS swim team I am swimming with.

Right now with my work and life schedule I can fit in with the Monday/Tuesday practices. Right now I am the lead guy for lane 3, so I still have 2 lanes to move up in, working with about 5 in my lane and have good company.

Sets are not massive, but we are also just entering the competitive season and so everyone fitness is a bit low.

For sets here is an example: of yesterdays main set

8x100 on 1:20 leave on 1:30
6x100 on 1:15 leave on 1:30
50 all out dead sprint
6x50 kick

Practice was called after due to poor air quality in the pool and we were just about to get into the meat of the set.

We have also done a lot of streamline positioning in practice. Doing drills such as pushing off a wall and holding your best streamline without any kick, just float until you rise to the top of the water. I can feel this has really translated into my spacial awareness in the water and having a feel for my body position.

HR is usually in the 180-190 range when we are doing hard stuff in the main sets.

It's also interesting watching these kids complain, complain, complain then lay the smack down when it matters, but you can really hear the doubt and lack of confidence sometimes in these kids. I can't wait to hear how it changes by Feb.

Life will be really rough in 2 weeks...

2013-12-10 10:30 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Swimming w/ High School Swim Team ***Update***

Originally posted by bcagle25 Thought I would give a quick update to my progress with the local HS swim team I am swimming with. Right now with my work and life schedule I can fit in with the Monday/Tuesday practices. Right now I am the lead guy for lane 3, so I still have 2 lanes to move up in, working with about 5 in my lane and have good company. Sets are not massive, but we are also just entering the competitive season and so everyone fitness is a bit low. For sets here is an example: of yesterdays main set 8x100 on 1:20 leave on 1:30 6x100 on 1:15 leave on 1:30 50 all out dead sprint 6x50 kick Practice was called after due to poor air quality in the pool and we were just about to get into the meat of the set. We have also done a lot of streamline positioning in practice. Doing drills such as pushing off a wall and holding your best streamline without any kick, just float until you rise to the top of the water. I can feel this has really translated into my spacial awareness in the water and having a feel for my body position. HR is usually in the 180-190 range when we are doing hard stuff in the main sets. It's also interesting watching these kids complain, complain, complain then lay the smack down when it matters, but you can really hear the doubt and lack of confidence sometimes in these kids. I can't wait to hear how it changes by Feb. Life will be really rough in 2 weeks...

What's that all about?

2013-12-11 6:03 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by bcagle25 Thought I would give a quick update to my progress with the local HS swim team I am swimming with. Right now with my work and life schedule I can fit in with the Monday/Tuesday practices. Right now I am the lead guy for lane 3, so I still have 2 lanes to move up in, working with about 5 in my lane and have good company. Sets are not massive, but we are also just entering the competitive season and so everyone fitness is a bit low. For sets here is an example: of yesterdays main set 8x100 on 1:20 leave on 1:30 6x100 on 1:15 leave on 1:30 50 all out dead sprint 6x50 kick Practice was called after due to poor air quality in the pool and we were just about to get into the meat of the set. We have also done a lot of streamline positioning in practice. Doing drills such as pushing off a wall and holding your best streamline without any kick, just float until you rise to the top of the water. I can feel this has really translated into my spacial awareness in the water and having a feel for my body position. HR is usually in the 180-190 range when we are doing hard stuff in the main sets. It's also interesting watching these kids complain, complain, complain then lay the smack down when it matters, but you can really hear the doubt and lack of confidence sometimes in these kids. I can't wait to hear how it changes by Feb. Life will be really rough in 2 weeks...

What's that all about?

It's high school.
2013-12-11 6:37 AM
in reply to: jswayland

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jswayland

What's that all about?

It's high school.

LOL!  The kids on the team I coached complained constantly, and tended to look for any excuse they could find to skip intervals.  It was often difficult to determine whether they had a legitimate issue, or if they were just whining and needed to be told to suck it up and get it done.

2013-12-11 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

How is it your being allowed to practice with a HS team, wouldn't think the school or a coach would allow that?   Liabilities and all.

2013-12-11 10:07 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by jswayland

What's that all about?

It's high school.

LOL!  The kids on the team I coached complained constantly, and tended to look for any excuse they could find to skip intervals.  It was often difficult to determine whether they had a legitimate issue, or if they were just whining and needed to be told to suck it up and get it done.

I'd complain if I had to swim over a 200 in practice or over a 100 at a meet - but I swam my butt off every time.

My coach would roll his eyes and tell me to get to work.

2013-12-11 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Interesting.  I watch club swimming, and most of the kids I watch are high school age but don't swim for their high school team.  Most of the reasons I've heard surround poor coaching in high school. (that's not meant as a knock on anyone here who coaches high school)  I don't hear anyone complaining during the workouts.  I've never had a conversation with any of the coaches in this regard, but my guess is that wouldn't go very far with them.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-11 10:35 AM
2013-12-11 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Interesting.  I watch club swimming, and most of the kids I watch are high school age but don't swim for their high school team.  Most of the reasons I've heard surround poor coaching in high school. (that's not meant as a knock on anyone here who coaches high school)  I don't hear anyone complaining during the workouts.  I've never had a conversation with any of the coaches in this regard, but my guess is that wouldn't go very far with them.

Its interesting to watch infold and here is my real simple take.

Club teams: They want to swim, they want to be seen, they want to advance past high school. It's the athletes choice to be on the club

HS: It's more of a check the box, add in parents pressure and trying to find what they want to do. It's not their choice as much as it is them being put on the team.

I actually talked to the coach about the club vs HS team, he says that people go to the club to be seen rather then the HS, but not everyone has made the jump. The HS teams comprised of all different talent levels and motivation/desire to be on the team.
2013-12-11 11:19 AM

Master
Northern IL

Curious how difficult this set was for you and where you think the workouts might build to over the next few weeks as things could ramp  up. As in what a set (sorta) similar development goals would look like then.

2013-12-11 11:57 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25

Its interesting to watch infold and here is my real simple take. Club teams: They want to swim, they want to be seen, they want to advance past high school. It's the athletes choice to be on the club HS: It's more of a check the box, add in parents pressure and trying to find what they want to do. It's not their choice as much as it is them being put on the team. I actually talked to the coach about the club vs HS team, he says that people go to the club to be seen rather then the HS, but not everyone has made the jump. The HS teams comprised of all different talent levels and motivation/desire to be on the team.

So is that a recent thing?  I remember when I was in high school (70's) all of the good swimmers swam high school.  My kid doesn't because XC and swimming are at the same time, so he swims for his club and runs for his high school.  He would actually like to swim in high school but doesn't want to miss XC season so he can do both with the club and he can swim year round.  I don't know if the seasons conflict everywhere but they do here.

But yeah, the club swimmers I watch are some very dedicated kids, there is no complaining at all.....except for the occasional griping about waking up at 4am to make club practice some days.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-11 12:01 PM
2013-12-11 11:59 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by brigby1

Curious how difficult this set was for you and where you think the workouts might build to over the next few weeks as things could ramp  up. As in what a set (sorta) similar development goals would look like then.

We did some testing back on the first day that we are going to do 2x more. Set wasn't killer on Monday but it did push me. However, what I have noticed most is that I can swim times now in the middle of the set for 6-8 reps that I could not swim at the start 6 weeks ago.

As for the liability not sure why that would be a problem. This isn't football or basketball. I am swimming with not against so there is not contact and everyone seems to be on board with it.

2013-12-11 12:09 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I just want to say again how jealous I am of you for getting this opportunity.

I watch my 11 year old at swim practice 3-4 days per week. I would love, love, love to be able to jump in and swim with the kids and get some serious coaching. I know it would make me a better/faster swimmer but I don't think that the opportunity will be presenting itself any time soon. Parents are not even allowed on the pool deck at her club practices.

FWIW, my daughter swims with Club Wolverine based at the University of Michigan. I think I could hang with the middle of the pack 12-15 year olds. The front of the pack in that age group would smoke me for sure. Actually some of the front of the pack in the 8-11 year old group would leave me in their wake. Humbling. It would have been nice to start swimming at a young age but I am determined to make up for lost time (as much as I can.....)
2013-12-11 12:12 PM

User image

Master

What are the intervals that the faster two lanes are going off on?

2013-12-11 12:16 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

NC
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Parents are not even allowed on the pool deck at her club practices.

Same here. We're sequestered in the observation room.

2013-12-11 12:18 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by wannabefaster Parents are not even allowed on the pool deck at her club practices.

I would bet that's pretty standard for clubs right?  We can sit in the bleachers if we want, and most of us don't do it much, but it is amazing to watch after you watch adults swimming at the Y.

2013-12-11 12:26 PM

User image

NC

I would bet that's pretty standard for clubs right?  We can sit in the bleachers if we want, and most of us don't do it much, but it is amazing to watch after you watch adults swimming at the Y.

We can sit in the bleachers once of month, and it is amazing. It's also pretty funny how few problems these 7/8 year olds have swimming ten to a lane, but you can't fit three triathletes in a lane without a nuclear meltdown.

2013-12-11 12:35 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Originally posted by wannabefaster Parents are not even allowed on the pool deck at her club practices.

Many/most days I am the fastest swimmer at the rec center and I am not anything resembling fast. I wouldn't be anywhere near the fastest swimmer in the 8-11 year old group at Club Wolverine. I would be lucky to be 5th or 6th off the wall in the (girls) fast lane with that group --- although at that age the girls are often still every bit as fast as the boys.

At CW they keep the parents off of the deck for "liability" reasons. I think that is probably why people asked about liability and swimming with High Schoolers. I suspect if something happened in the pool that you would not be covered under the school's insurance policy.
2013-12-11 12:43 PM

User image

NC

At CW they keep the parents off of the deck for "liability" reasons. I think that is probably why people asked about liability and swimming with High Schoolers. I suspect if something happened in the pool that you would not be covered under the school's insurance policy.

That might be the stated, and a very good, reason. But I also think the pool deck provides a natural barrier between the coaches/kids and the parents. It lets the coaches have uninterrupted access to the kids and lets the kids get away from overbearing parents that want to micromanage their kid's swimming.

I've really bought into the just be supportive sports parent idea, but frankly, I'm glad I can't hear much. If I really don't know what instruction the coaches are giving, I won't face the temptation to "reinforce" it and likely mess it up. It's crazy hearing some parents "coach" their kids at meets.

I think the kids and coaches are thrilled with the observation room idea for reasons totally unrelated to liability issues.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-12-11 12:44 PM
2013-12-11 12:47 PM

User image

Pro

Many/most days I am the fastest swimmer at the rec center and I am not anything resembling fast. I wouldn't be anywhere near the fastest swimmer in the 8-11 year old group at Club Wolverine. I would be lucky to be 5th or 6th off the wall in the (girls) fast lane with that group --- although at that age the girls are often still every bit as fast as the boys. At CW they keep the parents off of the deck for "liability" reasons. I think that is probably why people asked about liability and swimming with High Schoolers. I suspect if something happened in the pool that you would not be covered under the school's insurance policy.

That has been a real eye opener for me.  I had no idea that the development of girls vs. boys athletically was soooo divergent. The other part that I've picked up on is how differently all kids can develope.  There are kids on the club who were very hgihly nationally ranked as 10-13 year olds who can barely make sectional cuts now as over 15 swimmers, and then the kids who struggled along or started late and now have Jr. National and even National cuts. The work was the same, but the development of each kid is vastly different.  I have no swim background at all, so all of it is really fascinating to me. 

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-11 12:49 PM
2013-12-11 12:51 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by wannabefaster At CW they keep the parents off of the deck for "liability" reasons. I think that is probably why people asked about liability and swimming with High Schoolers. I suspect if something happened in the pool that you would not be covered under the school's insurance policy.
That might be the stated, and a very good, reason. But I also think the pool deck provides a natural barrier between the coaches/kids and the parents. It lets the coaches have uninterrupted access to the kids and lets the kids get away from overbearing parents that want to micromanage their kid's swimming. I've really bought into the just be supportive sports parent idea, but frankly, I'm glad I can't hear much. If I really don't know what instruction the coaches are giving, I won't face the temptation to "reinforce" it and likely mess it up. It's crazy hearing some parents "coach" their kids at meets. I think the kids and coaches are thrilled with the observation room idea for reasons totally unrelated to liability issues.

My experience is that it's mostly parents with swim backgrounds who go crazy.  If you're like me I just pay the fees and watch wide-eyed.  It would never occur to me to coack my kids at swimming......that's what I'm paying for,

2013-12-11 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

That might be the stated, and a very good, reason. But I also think the pool deck provides a natural barrier between the coaches/kids and the parents. It lets the coaches have uninterrupted access to the kids and lets the kids get away from overbearing parents that want to micromanage their kid's swimming.

I've really bought into the just be supportive sports parent idea, but frankly, I'm glad I can't hear much. If I really don't know what instruction the coaches are giving, I won't face the temptation to "reinforce" it and likely mess it up. It's crazy hearing some parents "coach" their kids at meets.

I think the kids and coaches are thrilled with the observation room idea for reasons totally unrelated to liability issues.

I still remember the first year my girls were swimming and at the state meet as I was watching one daughter swim her 25 free without a single breath - I almost had a heart attack (you can hear me on the video yelling, "Take a breath, take a breath" Turns out the coach told them to swim as fast as they can and don't breathe if you can make it. Being new to swimming and having no idea how much a breath can slow you down I would have completely negated what the coach was telling the swimmers. At this point - I let the coaches coach and I just cheer.

But not to completely hijack the thread - I am very interested in this opportunity! I would love to continue to hear updates and swim sets if you've got the time/inclination. We hear all the time about swimming with masters/faster swimmers...but rarely get tangible results of the impact...thanks for sharing!

2013-12-11 1:31 PM
in reply to: jswayland

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I keep all sets in my logs so I will give an overview at the end. Here is some of the stuff we have done

First most main sets are 25-100yds, some 150, and even less 200. Nothing above 200, not really needed either. I supplement the aerobic work in masters swimming and on my own.

Did a set to failure, which i am familiar with but this was structured a bit differently. It was more a test to let the kids realize how the brain shuts off before the body.

Lots of kicking, 300 is short in a session

Dryland is about 30 minutes a couple times a week.

Constantly checking HR, I check my HR after hard sets just to make sure I am pushing hard enough, but with this sets its common to check frequently and gauge rest periods between sets based of HR

Volume:
Swims are between 2500-3500 right now, top off around 5-6 from what I understand.

Right now I am swimming 5x per week avg session about 3k so 15k a week. That is up from 10-12k on 3-4x a week. Not much difference in volume in sets though.

Next 2 weeks I will build volume up to 20k, hoping to be sustainable at 25k but I will gradually build that up over time. 25k is my threshold with life commitments, time invested in pool and how much it takes out of me.

Really what I am trying to accomplish here is go from a MOP swimmer that usually leads the pack to a FOP swimmer that can sit in the middle of that pack. I usually swim a 30:xx HIM swim and I want to get near or under 28:00.

Here in Wisconsin we have a very talented FOP elite field, some going pro some staying AG. If I can get out of the water with them it really changes how I can ride and puts me in a better position overall. I always find myself missing that front pack, riding solo, if I can get in that pack I can ride much better. Last year I was always the first spot off the podium, payout, or qualifying spot. Hoping this helps change that for 2014.

I feel a ramble coming on so I will stop now, but I do plan to post some of the meat of the sets for everyone here as we progress through winter.
2013-12-11 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Its interesting to watch infold and here is my real simple take. Club teams: They want to swim, they want to be seen, they want to advance past high school. It's the athletes choice to be on the club HS: It's more of a check the box, add in parents pressure and trying to find what they want to do. It's not their choice as much as it is them being put on the team. I actually talked to the coach about the club vs HS team, he says that people go to the club to be seen rather then the HS, but not everyone has made the jump. The HS teams comprised of all different talent levels and motivation/desire to be on the team.

So is that a recent thing?  I remember when I was in high school (70's) all of the good swimmers swam high school.  My kid doesn't because XC and swimming are at the same time, so he swims for his club and runs for his high school.  He would actually like to swim in high school but doesn't want to miss XC season so he can do both with the club and he can swim year round.  I don't know if the seasons conflict everywhere but they do here.

But yeah, the club swimmers I watch are some very dedicated kids, there is no complaining at all.....except for the occasional griping about waking up at 4am to make club practice some days.

I would say over the last 15-20 years we see lots more kids being one sport kids doing one activity year round.  You do not hear about 3 sport athletes anymore.  There is this notion that you have to start them in a sport before they are out of diapers and that all they can do if they want that scholarship etcetcetc.  I would say most of the serious swimmers are swimming club year round and some of them may swim for their HS but often there is conflict between the HS and the club coach. Watching the nationally recognized club team and a HS team in the same pool at the same time 2 totally differnt things going on

2013-12-11 3:58 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Socks

I would say over the last 15-20 years we see lots more kids being one sport kids doing one activity year round.  You do not hear about 3 sport athletes anymore.  There is this notion that you have to start them in a sport before they are out of diapers and that all they can do if they want that scholarship etcetcetc.  I would say most of the serious swimmers are swimming club year round and some of them may swim for their HS but often there is conflict between the HS and the club coach. Watching the nationally recognized club team and a HS team in the same pool at the same time 2 totally differnt things going on

That sounds about right.  When I was growing up swimming was a winter sport so you could run and swim for your high school, and then run track as well.  Now swimming is a spring sport for boys and a winter sport for girls so there is the XC conflict for boys..  The reason I was given is that they didn't want the boys and girls swimming at the same time because of the distraction caused by swimsuits....which is....what.....the dumbest thing ever?

2013-12-11 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Interesting thread Ben.  Sounds like the hard work is paying off! 

Oh, and6X100 at 1:15 followed by a 50 all out would be a tough set by itself.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming w/ High School Swim Team ***Update*** Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

hypoxic swim training for high altitude

Started by raeray80
Views: 1163 Posts: 7

2011-07-05 2:53 PM raeray80

Runner's High----Swimming?

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 2946 Posts: 11

2011-04-20 2:11 PM jgerbodegrant

swimming=high impact

Started by kwc98
Views: 1191 Posts: 9

2009-09-09 10:15 AM Meerkat Surprise

An Old School Swimming trick. Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Detroit Dan
Views: 4302 Posts: 70

2009-06-16 9:55 AM PennState

Swim Swam Swum

Started by Robert Reynolds
Views: 1764 Posts: 12

2006-07-09 3:21 PM Robert Reynolds
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.
date : March 4, 2009
author : nevergivin
comments : 5
Benefits of an underwater swim clinic to help correct your swimming stroke - plus a few swim tips to be mindful of.

date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.