General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming w/ High School Swim Team ***Update*** Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-12-12 2:46 PM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: Swimming w/ High School Swim Team ***Update***

Parents are a challenge.  I volunteer to coach my son's 2nd grade YMCA basketball and football teams.  This is the 4th season that I have coached most of these kids and most of the parents are good.  I have two dads who scream and yell at their kids during practice and games.  I have no problem with parents yelling, as long as it is for positive reasons and not negative.  My rule of thumb is parents are welcome until they become a distraction.  One of the dads I mentioned is no longer welcome to practices and he is close to being told not to come to games anymore.  If he does not like it, he can take his son off the team and go elsewhere. 

I tell the kids that I coach that "there are only two things you can truly control.  Your Attitude and your Effort.  Your ability will improove as long as you are positive and work hard." 

Sounds like a good rule of thumb for triathletes if you ask me.

2013-12-12 5:11 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Pro

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Parents are a challenge.  I volunteer to coach my son's 2nd grade YMCA basketball and football teams.  This is the 4th season that I have coached most of these kids and most of the parents are good.  I have two dads who scream and yell at their kids during practice and games.  I have no problem with parents yelling, as long as it is for positive reasons and not negative.  My rule of thumb is parents are welcome until they become a distraction.  One of the dads I mentioned is no longer welcome to practices and he is close to being told not to come to games anymore.  If he does not like it, he can take his son off the team and go elsewhere. 

I tell the kids that I coach that "there are only two things you can truly control.  Your Attitude and your Effort.  Your ability will improove as long as you are positive and work hard." 

Sounds like a good rule of thumb for triathletes if you ask me.

We practically raised our kids at the Y and it was a fabulous environment for them.......but......those are sports parents who don't really have their wings yet.

2013-12-13 9:08 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Great for you having access to HS team. It will elevate your swimming no doubt. Few thoughts:

1. x100@1:30 holding 1:20-1:15 is pretty solid and yes consistent with 30:xx HIM swimmers

2. Air Quality can be a challenge

3. HS swimming is governed by different rules and coach/ staff may have little more latitude in allowing non team member participation, club swimming is governed under USA Swimming that has very strict athlete protection rules as well as liability/ insurance requirements

4. Development between boys and girls varies greatly and general trends can be found summed up National Motivational times, 10 and under girls have faster time cuts than boys of same age, 11-12 girls still have tougher time cuts in some events, at 13-14 time cuts swing toward boys having to achieve faster times. That is consistent with current science of development.

5. HS or Club swimming, without going to much into this, facts, most very successful HS swimmers swim year around and for the club. HS season is rather short. If there is a well developed cooperation between local club and HS coaches, HS coaches receive swimmers with well established base and are able to produce high levels of fitness by applying finishing touches of event specific training.

6. Have a privilege of coaching several very young AAAA level swimmers, a 10-12 year old AA-AAAA level swimmer will outswim FOP triathlete most everywhere and any time.

7. Avg volume per practice for the group I coach, 10-12 year old 5-7 years in the sport swimmers is 5500-6500 per practice, they kick 1200-1500 per practice, no triathlete can outkick any of those kids, that is where we get our rear ends delivered to us first......

8. It retention of swimmers, as pointed above, young fast swimmers frequently fail to reproduce the same level of success as they age up. Main factor is burnout and how much of a stimulus did coach revert to in producing high level times early in their career, stats are staggering and show a negative trend, many programs fail to examine that.

9. I frequently train with the group when staffing is proper, I can only keep up with A level 12 year olds, past that, any A level 13 year old is out of reach and I am also mostly 30min HIM swimmer, had a few in 28-29 range but mostly 30min.

10. High School swimming has diversity in skill and talent, however, swimmers enjoy camaraderie well beyond ever seen at club level.

11. For a full disclosure, my household is a home to HS 14 year old male swimmer, 11 year old female AAAA swimmer, I coach on 500+ swimmer Level 4 Club, no swimming background, however ASCA Level 2 Coach......level 3 and 4 schools complete.........many, many books, clinics, videos, ASCA enrichment courses, good mentors and coworkers around. We live,breathe, eat and sleep chlorine in my house.
2013-12-13 12:27 PM
in reply to: atasic

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-14 5:44 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

I think that the term "burnout" is used pretty liberally and most of the times is used incorrectly. I have coached a state champion female at the 10 and under agegroup who is now 11. I am no longer actively coaching but I am watching her I know her personality and time will tell. The 11-12 yr old group for females produces some amazingly fast results( to fast in my opinion) and it leaves most of them very little room to grow as they age up. Their power to weight ratio at that age is amazing.  And this is where the term "burnout'" begins to come into play. Body shape changes, weight gain etc. For many I think it is simply what is their hearts desire for the future. What are their true interests and until they are still producing at a high level when they are 15-18 the outcome is yet to be decided. This also applies to males as well but their maturity comes later and at a better time in life. I would prefer to coach a young  person who is on a nice steady upward curve with respect to results and has yearly improvements and still enjoys the sport as a senior in HS and  may or may not want to swim in college. The rocket 10,11-12 year olds are exciting but when the smiles become frowns it tough to watch.

Have two daughters who swam, both did very nicely. One had better results at a younger age then got frustrated in her HS years, the other came along slower but wasn't as competitive. But her swimming skills have helped produce some very good results in triathlon.. Niether one ever wanted to swim in college and they could have.

For the record and kind of back to the OP if I were the  coach there would not be an adult in my lanes at a HS practice.

Nice thread though. I think this is what Fred D was looking for a while back nobody is insulting nobody. As it should be.

2013-12-14 6:26 AM
in reply to: tri/tbay

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by tri/tbay

For the record and kind of back to the OP if I were the  coach there would not be an adult in my lanes at a HS practice.

Purely out of curiosity, why is that?

I also swim with a club team (there are no HS teams here).  Usually I just swim as a lane swimmer in the lane beside them (but doing the same workout) but if the lane swims get busy or if a set is appropriate the coach will move me over into a lane with the kids.  My speed falls into the category of being one of the slower boys but a faster girl (certainly not the fastest)

2013-12-14 7:44 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Originally posted by axteraa

I also swim with a club team (there are no HS teams here).  Usually I just swim as a lane swimmer in the lane beside them (but doing the same workout) but if the lane swims get busy or if a set is appropriate the coach will move me over into a lane with the kids.  My speed falls into the category of being one of the slower boys but a faster girl (certainly not the fastest)

Two things in play here, from the club perspective it puts the clubs insurance with USA swimming at risk. Since you are swimming in a lane by yourself your kind of in the gray area and can simply say I was swimming on my own. But once you begin to particicpate in the club workout and the coaches know this, they are in the wrong by allowing it. You can easily register with USA swimming and swim away without ever having to go to a meet. I have had post college age swimmers do that before for the fitness aspect. This is what the coaches should have you do. As to the HS scenerio I'm not sure it's really appropriate for one and I'm sure from a state HS athletic association rules it's prohibited. They have insurance and safety issues in play as well as protecting the young athlete from potential problems if you know what I mean.

I love that people want to swim but there are just some boundries where swimming under those formats cause or could create problems.

2013-12-14 8:20 AM

Pro

I think that the term "burnout" is used pretty liberally and most of the times is used incorrectly. I have coached a state champion female at the 10 and under agegroup who is now 11. I am no longer actively coaching but I am watching her I know her personality and time will tell. The 11-12 yr old group for females produces some amazingly fast results( to fast in my opinion) and it leaves most of them very little room to grow as they age up. Their power to weight ratio at that age is amazing.  And this is where the term "burnout'" begins to come into play. Body shape changes, weight gain etc. For many I think it is simply what is their hearts desire for the future. What are their true interests and until they are still producing at a high level when they are 15-18 the outcome is yet to be decided. This also applies to males as well but their maturity comes later and at a better time in life. I would prefer to coach a young  person who is on a nice steady upward curve with respect to results and has yearly improvements and still enjoys the sport as a senior in HS and  may or may not want to swim in college. The rocket 10,11-12 year olds are exciting but when the smiles become frowns it tough to watch.

Have two daughters who swam, both did very nicely. One had better results at a younger age then got frustrated in her HS years, the other came along slower but wasn't as competitive. But her swimming skills have helped produce some very good results in triathlon.. Niether one ever wanted to swim in college and they could have.

Nice thread though. I think this is what Fred D was looking for a while back nobody is insulting nobody. As it should be.

Those are good observations and I agree.  I'll add this regarding "burnout"...you need to get your kids to buy into the idea that this is a process, and the results you have "right now" are just a part of that process, a mile marker on the way to somewhere else.  Times matter and finish results matter, but only as a way to mark the journey.  Some parts of the trip will be better than others, but it's ALL forward progress to a place down the road that we really don't even talk about....and so it's never looked at as "unattainable".  And it's important that they know how much you admire what they are doing, especially when the going is slow.

2013-12-14 12:48 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by axteraa

Two things in play here, from the club perspective it puts the clubs insurance with USA swimming at risk. Since you are swimming in a lane by yourself your kind of in the gray area and can simply say I was swimming on my own. But once you begin to particicpate in the club workout and the coaches know this, they are in the wrong by allowing it. You can easily register with USA swimming and swim away without ever having to go to a meet. I have had post college age swimmers do that before for the fitness aspect. This is what the coaches should have you do. As to the HS scenerio I'm not sure it's really appropriate for one and I'm sure from a state HS athletic association rules it's prohibited. They have insurance and safety issues in play as well as protecting the young athlete from potential problems if you know what I mean.

I love that people want to swim but there are just some boundries where swimming under those formats cause or could create problems.

Good thing I'm Canadian.  

Those are fair points.  I am actually registered with the provincial swim association and the coach has done this for other swimmers - I have to assume he has been cleared to do so.

2013-12-14 2:57 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Left Brain

Those are good observations and I agree.  I'll add this regarding "burnout"...you need to get your kids to buy into the idea that this is a process, and the results you have "right now" are just a part of that process, a mile marker on the way to somewhere else.  Times matter and finish results matter, but only as a way to mark the journey.  Some parts of the trip will be better than others, but it's ALL forward progress to a place down the road that we really don't even talk about....and so it's never looked at as "unattainable".  And it's important that they know how much you admire what they are doing, especially when the going is slow.

I am going to loop back around a little bit. We were talking earlier about parents who push their kids too hard and have crazy expectations for what their kids can do now or what they will become in the future.

I am the exact opposite. I actually think that the workouts that they are putting these kids through at our club are a little bit over the top (I want to say psychotic but I don't want to offend too many). Our club has "lost its mind" with respect to what the expectations should be for young kids involved in swimming. Like a coach above posted about 11-12 year old kids doing 5,500-6,000 yards in a practice with 1,200 of it being kicking. Then they want the kids there a minimum of four days/week but really want them there six days/week. Plus Monday, Wednesday, Friday dry land for 30 minutes before practice…… This is just way too much. If we were to follow the club's desired schedule for our 11 year old, she would not have much time to do anything but swimming. Home from school at four, snack, homework, 15 minutes to play and then out the door for swimming (sorry, no time to play with your friends today, you have swimming). It is the rare kid who wants to dedicate their whole life to swimming as such a young age.

There are several kids on the team with shoulder injuries at age 10 or 11…... Is it any wonder that we have had multiple people talk about how many kids "burn-out" at a young age, long before they get to high school or realize their true potential with them swimming this kind of schedule?

I hate to be down on it but I see our club as grinding hundreds of kids down to nothing in the hopes that they will get one kid like a Phelps or a Lochte or a Franklin who survives the gauntlet. If instead, they backed off a little bit at this young level and emphasized technique and fun I think a lot more of the kids will make it through to higher levels. Then the kid can make a real decision about whether they want to commit to high level swimming. As it is, many parents sit in the stands every day and talk about how their kids want to quit because it just isn't fun.

Anyways, rant over.
2013-12-14 3:49 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2013-12-14 3:56 PM

2013-12-14 6:52 PM

Pro

Fred - there is a lot there to respond to.  Like you, I only really have my own experience with my kids to look at, because I don't pay too much attention to the whole swim culture.  Why?  Because my kids ARE into other sports, mainly cycling, running, and ultimately, triathlon.  It's been an eye opener for me because my son didn't start swimming until he was 14....and his club is also very competitive.  He can swim 9 workouts per week since he is on the National prep squad....and next month, when they move him up to the National squad, he can swim 11....he usually makes 6 in a good week. He is coached by 2 level 5 coaches including a former world record holder.....they REALLY want him there 9-11 times per week.....but it's not going to happen.  First, my kid doesn't want to. He has run workouts and cycling sessions as well.  During XC season he made 3-4 workouts per week.  I love his coaches, but they are also the same guys who told me when my son showed up without any swim background at 14 that he'd never really be able to keep up wit the kids who have been there since they were 7-8 years old and they put him in the High School prep group..  It hasn't turned out that way at all. Yes, he had some prior swim experience....at the YMCA.....but absolutely nothing competitive.

My kid LOVES swim practice.....it's a break from running,.  And he LOVES running because it's usually on a day he's not going to swim.  He just plain likes to ride so he does that whenever he wants.  My point to all of this is that a lot of your comments surround the idea that we have our kids specialize in one sport.....don't do it.  Geez, of all people, we as people running triathlon should understand that.

I have no idea where all of the athletics will take my son.....he's just about to turn 16.....a lot can happen.  One thing I know beyond a shadow of a doubt....the day I sit in the stands at swimming and tell another parent that my kid hates this.....it's over...way over.  And I'll go a step further....I think there is merit in the idea that some coaches are pushing kids way too hard at way too young of an age.  I was never a part of that and I'm happy I wasn't.  All of the athletics my kids did prior to them becoming teenagers centered around fun and family time.....all of it. (OK, except for the 2 years I had my kid playing baseball because that's how I grew up.....but it ended one day after he cried while at bat because he really hated it, and I woke up)  That's all over now, and that's fine, but they're driving the bus.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-14 6:59 PM
2013-12-14 9:32 PM

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Fred

Incredibly well written and thought provoking.

We have been consistently going to three practices per week over the objections of the club coaches who want a minimum of four. We catch a lot of flack over this but this is what fits in our daughter's life.

We have actually discussed with our daughter the idea of moving down a level to reduce the workload. She doesn't want to move down a level. She recognizes that she is too fast for the level below where she is now. What she really wants is for the coach who is assigned to her group to allow the kids to have fun. It is a long story, but one of the two coaches assigned to her group is so serious about the sport that she makes it unbearable for the kids (and their parents). On days when this particular coach isn't there my daughter loves swimming. On days when she is, not so much. I guess that this focuses what I need to do. This coach is very entrenched in the club but I believe that her assignment to coach this age group is a terrible mismatch. I guess it is time to fight for my daughter and see if I can force/facilitate some change.
2013-12-14 9:37 PM

Pro

Originally posted b y wannabefaster Fred Incredibly well written and thought provoking. We have been consistently going to three practices per week over the objections of the club coaches who want a minimum of four. We catch a lot of flack over this but this is what fits in our daughter's life. We have actually discussed with our daughter the idea of moving down a level to reduce the workload. She doesn't want to move down a level. She recognizes that she is too fast for the level below where she is now. What she really wants is for the coach who is assigned to her group to allow the kids to have fun. It is a long story, but one of the two coaches assigned to her group is so serious about the sport that she makes it unbearable for the kids (and their parents). On days when this particular coach isn't there If I was not happymy daughter loves swimming. On days when she is, not so much. I guess that this focuses what I need to do. This coach is very entrenched in the club but I believe that her assignment to coach this age group is a terrible mismatch. I guess it is time to fight for my daughter and see if I can force/facilitate some change.

Just curious.....why would you not just find somewhere else for her to swim?  If I was not happy with my kid's coaching it would not occur to me to try and change the structure of the club..... we'd just find the right fit. 

If I read your post correctly, you are sideways with the club's coaches because you do not attend as many practices as they wish, and now you want to change the coaching structure of the club because it doesn't fit your daughter's liking?   Think about that for a minute. 

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-14 9:50 PM
2013-12-15 5:43 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

2013-12-15 5:52 AM

Edited by Fred D 2013-12-15 5:54 AM

2013-12-15 8:01 AM

Pro

Originally posted by Fred D LB, thanks for your thoughts. I will not answer for Jason, however I will tell you the only other club we have as an option is the YMCA. No pressure there, but the coaching was so lackluster. Little real coaching, little guidance, etc. while our private swim club is not perfect, the few 'warts' are FAR outweighed by the quality of the people doing the coaching and their dedication. We actually put up with an INCREDIBLY unreasonable policy at Penn State.... They do NOT ALLOW ALLOW OUR KIDS TO SHOWER AT THE PSU FACILITY! They changed policy post Sandusky, and will not let kids under the age of 18 shower, even if their parent is present of the same gender. We have to bundle up our kids and then run them to the car (parking lot is close), and then bring them home for a bath. We put up with this, because I value the coaching and philosophy of the club that much. We have lost a number of kids to the YMCA over this, and it sucks, but this club is something I truly value for my girls and we put up with a few things. Maybe Jason is somewhat similar here where some good and some bad are evaluated and in the end they stay as the good outweighs the bad?

Gotcha.......we have 5 clubs and YMCA swimming within 40 minutes of our house......competitive may be an understatement, and lots of kids jump clubs to find the right fit, or follow a coach. 

Sorry about the situation at Penn State......dysfunction typically follows a crisis like they had, eventually common sense should win out.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-15 8:02 AM
2013-12-15 9:46 AM

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted b y wannabefaster Fred Incredibly well written and thought provoking. We have been consistently going to three practices per week over the objections of the club coaches who want a minimum of four. We catch a lot of flack over this but this is what fits in our daughter's life. We have actually discussed with our daughter the idea of moving down a level to reduce the workload. She doesn't want to move down a level. She recognizes that she is too fast for the level below where she is now. What she really wants is for the coach who is assigned to her group to allow the kids to have fun. It is a long story, but one of the two coaches assigned to her group is so serious about the sport that she makes it unbearable for the kids (and their parents). On days when this particular coach isn't there If I was not happymy daughter loves swimming. On days when she is, not so much. I guess that this focuses what I need to do. This coach is very entrenched in the club but I believe that her assignment to coach this age group is a terrible mismatch. I guess it is time to fight for my daughter and see if I can force/facilitate some change.

Just curious.....why would you not just find somewhere else for her to swim?  If I was not happy with my kid's coaching it would not occur to me to try and change the structure of the club..... we'd just find the right fit. 

If I read your post correctly, you are sideways with the club's coaches because you do not attend as many practices as they wish, and now you want to change the coaching structure of the club because it doesn't fit your daughter's liking?   Think about that for a minute. 

Good point. Maybe the issue is me……. I have pretty good introspection and recognize that I am far from infallible. We have looked in to different clubs but so far, this is the one that is most convenient, warts and all. My daughter will be aging up soon and at that point will be an 'intermediate white' instead of a 'junior blue'. The 'white' level will be satisfied with three times/week attendance and has a different coach (although the club could always move her current coach up with her, which would likely be the last straw as we probably can't handle another three years with this coach).

About the coach: I love her for her passion. She was a swim mom who uprooted her family and actually moved here from out of state so her kids could swim for our club (so they could be competitive? get a college scholarship? who knows? again, I think she may be one of 'those moms' when it comes to pushing her kids-and I don't think her kids are getting D1 scholarships). She eventually was at the pool so much with her kids that they offered her a coaching position. Her intensity with these 8-11 year olds is amazing. She is so 'on' all of the time and pushes them constantly. Practice always runs over 15-30 minutes (meaning that 8-11 year olds are getting home at 9 at night). I think that she would be an exceptional coach of the older kids. At the junior high and high school age, they would be more ready to be pushed like she wants to push. At the junior level I think her passion is misplaced/borderline inappropriate. On the nights that she is not there the kids swim close to the same yardage but have fun. They finish on time. They leave to pool deck smiling.

But again, the issue may be me. Except it is not. I don't participate in the gossip, but I do sit in the stands a lot and can hear the conversations. I am not the only parent that is grumbling……...
2013-12-15 9:52 AM

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ps. I wish my daughter would embrace the intensity of her coach. I wish she were ready to push really hard and make that jump to the next level. I have another post on the front page of the forum that sort of demonstrates my own intensity level/drive.

What I have recognized is that she is not emotionally, psychologically or physically ready to push like that and so I back off and support her and try to make this fun.

I am sure that if I convinced the club or her coach to tone it down a little that some parents would be upset that Johnny or Janey is not getting the appropriate push to make the 2020 Olympic team.
2013-12-15 10:50 AM

Pro

Originally posted by wannabefaster Ps. I wish my daughter would embrace the intensity of her coach. I wish she were ready to push really hard and make that jump to the next level. I have another post on the front page of the forum that sort of demonstrates my own intensity level/drive. What I have recognized is that she is not emotionally, psychologically or physically ready to push like that and so I back off and support her and try to make this fun. I am sure that if I convinced the club or her coach to tone it down a little that some parents would be upset that Johnny or Janey is not getting the appropriate push to make the 2020 Olympic team.

HA!!  No doubt!

And that's the rub.  For me, I have just found it's easier to find coaches/clubs that more closely operate in a way that my kids and I are happy with.  If you go the route you're talking about, trying to change the way a coach or club operates because you think it's not conducive to a good environment for your kids, you end up being "that parent" in reverse.....because sure as hell there are plenty of parents who like crazy coach and want their kids pushed and pushed.  We agree on the first part of your problem, our ideas of how to change it just differ.

2013-12-15 10:57 AM

2013-12-15 11:03 AM

Edited by Fred D 2013-12-15 11:05 AM
2013-12-15 4:00 PM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by wannabefaster About the coach: I love her for her passion. She was a swim mom who uprooted her family and actually moved here from out of state so her kids could swim for our club (so they could be competitive? get a college scholarship? who knows? again, I think she may be one of 'those moms' when it comes to pushing her kids-and I don't think her kids are getting D1 scholarships). She eventually was at the pool so much with her kids that they offered her a coaching position. Her intensity with these 8-11 year olds is amazing. She is so 'on' all of the time and pushes them constantly. Practice always runs over 15-30 minutes (meaning that 8-11 year olds are getting home at 9 at night). I think that she would be an exceptional coach of the older kids. At the junior high and high school age, they would be more ready to be pushed like she wants to push. At the junior level I think her passion is misplaced/borderline inappropriate. On the nights that she is not there the kids swim close to the same yardage but have fun. They finish on time. They leave to pool deck smiling. But again, the issue may be me. Except it is not. I don't participate in the gossip, but I do sit in the stands a lot and can hear the conversations. I am not the only parent that is grumbling……...

Jason, this is a major red flag.

That coach, in the way you describe her, would not be something that would work for us. Swim practice ends at exact times as we are all busy and have to get the kids home etc. Going overtime for an 11 yo is a no-no in my book.

Her intensity is not resulting in fun or results, as it's probably keeping your daughter away a bit.

*I* would speak to the head coach and discuss things, but I would be prepared to find a new club, as we simply do not have that sort of person at NLAC. Lots of intensity, but positive and fun.

*I* also think the only issue at stake from your end is why your daughter is still with this woman in this club?, and I suspect you are analyzing this yourself, i.e.; thinking of what step to take next?

My kids leave the pool deck smiling and come home really happy.... and that's the biggest part of the story for us!

Yeah, ^^^this^^^

What you're describing is generally too much for the developmental level of 8-11 year olds.  At that age, the focus should be having fun, teaching sportsmanship, and developing technical skills in a fun environment.  That sort of highly intense approach at that age can have lasting negative effects on a child.  If I were you, I'd pull my child from that program so fast the coach wouldn't even know what happened.

Here's a good source of information for both parents and coaches of what is appropriate for youth athletes at different levels:  http://respectinsport.com/

2013-12-16 8:38 AM

NC
Originally posted by wannabefaster

She was a swim mom who uprooted her family and actually moved here from out of state so her kids could swim for our club (so they could be competitive? get a college scholarship? who knows? again, I think she may be one of 'those moms' when it comes to pushing her kids-and I don't think her kids are getting D1 scholarships). She eventually was at the pool so much with her kids that they offered her a coaching position. Her intensity with these 8-11 year olds is amazing. She is so 'on' all of the time and pushes them constantly. Practice always runs over 15-30 minutes (meaning that 8-11 year olds are getting home at 9 at night).

First, thanks to everyone for all the comments. Again, we are very new to this, so hearing some experiences of the older kids, and you as parents, really helps second.

Second, Jason, does your club have any sort of parent liaison that isn't an employee or coach? Our club has a long time swim parent whose role with the club is to address situations exactly like yours when parents might feel uncomfortable dealing with the coaches. She is there to offer guidance as to the best method of dealing with whatever the particular concern might be. If not, I would still feel compelled to talk to a head coach in your situation. I wouldn't be comfortable paying money to the club if my child's enjoyment was dependent on the coach they happened to pull at practice that day.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-12-16 8:40 AM
2013-12-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Around here it seems like most of the club swimmers also swim for their high school. At a younger age it seems like the club swimmers also participate in summer rec leagues. Swimming is a winter HS sport here for both boys and girls so they could do both XC and track.

As far as parents thinking that sports is the ticket to their kids future that is true at all sports. We had a neighbor who was confident that his 2nd grader is getting a full ride to college in baseball.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming w/ High School Swim Team ***Update*** Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

hypoxic swim training for high altitude

Started by raeray80
Views: 1163 Posts: 7

2011-07-05 2:53 PM raeray80

Runner's High----Swimming?

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 2946 Posts: 11

2011-04-20 2:11 PM jgerbodegrant

swimming=high impact

Started by kwc98
Views: 1191 Posts: 9

2009-09-09 10:15 AM Meerkat Surprise

An Old School Swimming trick. Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Detroit Dan
Views: 4302 Posts: 70

2009-06-16 9:55 AM PennState

Swim Swam Swum

Started by Robert Reynolds
Views: 1764 Posts: 12

2006-07-09 3:21 PM Robert Reynolds
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.
date : March 4, 2009
author : nevergivin
comments : 5
Benefits of an underwater swim clinic to help correct your swimming stroke - plus a few swim tips to be mindful of.

date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.