Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Help a Yoga Non-Believer Understand... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-11 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Subject: Help a Yoga Non-Believer Understand...
I've got to be missing something....I've tried yoga a decent handful of times and at best come away feeling like I got an OK stretch session and varying degrees of light workout. I don't get some yoga high or understand why my it's all about the breathing or even what the heck they mean when they talk about centering" myself. I do what I'm told..try to breathe on pace...I'm not doubting the testimony of people who say that yoga has changed their lives or makes them feel better after a bad day/whatever - I just don't get it.

2013-12-11 11:19 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Teejaay 2013-12-11 11:21 AM
2013-12-11 11:25 AM
in reply to: Zero2Athlete

Elite
Subject: RE: Help a Yoga Non-Believer Understand...

For someone like me that doesn't like doing weights of any sort, I value it as a combo strength/stretch workout. Plus it does develop balance.

However, its entirely too hot (and this isn't hot yoga, but I guess its considered "warm"--they still turn on the heat) and too long. 1.5 hours is just too long.  And expensive!  $18/class around here.

2013-12-11 11:28 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

For me it depends on the instructor and my state of mind. Both can shift the dynamic of the class and what I get out of it dramatically.

The 1st yoga class I went to was a waste of time as I had no idea what I was doing. Once I completed a beginner class series where the instructor started with very basic poses and their intentions (this is the muscle you are targeting, align your hips this way, you should feel tension here not here, the origin of the pose comes from this) - that was when I started getting WAY more out of classes. Often I see people in class doing the poses completely wrong - and if the instructor is not correcting or explaining, I have no doubt they are not "getting it" or enjoying the experience.

2013-12-11 11:44 AM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Then try it on your own. I've only been through a few classes, and basically hated them all. Especially "hot yoga". THAT I just don't get the point of -- the whole "just being in the room is a workout" philosophy.

learned on my own, through books (Complete Idiot's Guide to Yoga, Rodney Yee's book, Learn Visually, Real Men do Yoga, and a couple others) and a couple videos (Rodney Yee again, and The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Yoga). going at MY pace and breathing rhythm (which is WAY slower than any class/instructor), I've enjoyed it. When I had a really bad three months of colitis where the only workout I could do was yoga (without tearing myself down), it really got me through.

A half-hour session is enough, really. Or maybe 40 minutes. Any sessions of just breathing and focus are done separately. I don't get into the mysticism of it, but being able to clear the mind, focus on one thing, holding a pose, breathing and deepening it, makes a lot of sense (to me). I have found that when I'm regular with it, my focus and energy throughout the rest of the day is better.

2013-12-11 2:01 PM

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
I do yoga regularly (5-6 times per week), and for me its like a physically-difficult moving meditation. I find I focus entirely on "feeling"the postures and on sync'ing the breath with the postures -- there's not really any mind wandering. OK, maybe a little at the start, but that all fades away as the class gets going.

I started doing yoga for the physical benefits. Since yoga poses balance strength with flexibility, its a great balancing workout for us triathletes who spend way to much time doing repetitive motions over and over. And I find as I get older, my body really thrives on yoga-type workouts -- they just feel good. And I also wanted to experiment with heat adaptation in hot yoga.

At first, I found yoga pretty foreign with odd terminology, unusual personalities, and strange beliefs. And admittedly, its probably not an efficient use of scarce triathlon training time. But after a few weeks I found I really just enjoyed the practice. Mentally, its a little subtle (at least for me), but I find I'm calmer, less stressed, and more able to confront challenges throughout the day after doing yoga. No doubt due to the hour of not-thinking -- probably any form of meditation would have a similar effect. But yoga achieves the mental via the physical, so as a kinesthetic-type person, that appeals to me.

For me, and maybe for most triathletes, its important to make the practice difficult enough, either through heat or challenging poses. I've done some recovery-type yoga, and I didnt achieve the same meditative state, so I didn't return.

2013-12-11 2:33 PM

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
The instructor has a small part in your yoga experience. They provide you a flow of various poses and breathing patterns that can be challenging for some or very easy.

You as a practitioner determine your journey through an hour or 90 min session depending on your level. Having the ability to clear your mind and use the breath through various poses. Helping with mental focus as well as core and mild strengthen benefits.

yoga is a form of mediation. you have to let yourself go, focusing on the breathing and moving poses.. while analyzing the body. The breathing is the focal point of yoga (most) hence comparison to the ocean. waves come in and go out.

I had to do a paper in school on various health practices around the world.. and i practice yoga.

recommendation.. next time you go.. don't create any expectations from the experience.. sit down before class begins and empty the mind.. begin to feel and hear your breath. all other distractions should fade. keep that focus through the various poses..
2013-12-11 3:35 PM

I've done 90 minute and I've done 20 minute sessions.

For me, a lot of it has to do with the intensity. I've come away completely drained off of a 20 minute high intensity session.

I generally do ab focus and all that up/down dogging help the arms a bit too. Also a nice runner focused routine to help stretch the legs.

Never taken a formal class, just videos and self routines, but there are videos I hate due to the instructor.

It's not a religion, as my ultra Catholic mother in law thinks. To me it's an extension of my active and fit lifestyle.
2013-12-11 4:02 PM

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I also don't "get it" in a spiritual sense, but enjoy it for the challenge.  I FAR prefer the more athletic sessions when the poses move quickly and require some skill.  And, I can't help it, I compete with the others in the room (in my head, of course...).   

There's no denying that it's good for your body, which you can see by looking at anyone who does it regularly.  I also find that if I do yoga on a regular basis I get less running related tightness/pain. 

The teachers who allow time for "practicing inversions" make me roll my eyes.  I just want to move.   While I can balance my body weight on my triceps, doing so feels (to me) like nothing more than showing off.  That's maybe the spiritual part I am missing?

Edit to add: I wouldn't pay for it, but every gym I have belonged to offered many sessions, so that's my experience.  Although, I did pay to do a session in a salt cave one time.  That was as close to a spiritual feeling as I've ever felt.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-12-11 4:03 PM
2013-12-11 6:17 PM

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Zero2Athlete I've got to be missing something....I've tried yoga a decent handful of times and at best come away feeling like I got an OK stretch session and varying degrees of light workout. I don't get some yoga high or understand why my it's all about the breathing or even what the heck they mean when they talk about centering" myself. I do what I'm told..try to breathe on pace...I'm not doubting the testimony of people who say that yoga has changed their lives or makes them feel better after a bad day/whatever - I just don't get it.

My take on this is:  You've already "centered" your life by using fitness and diet to eliminate all of the "chaos" that was previously disrupting your life.  So, yoga is of marginal incremental benefit to you.

Other people who have not undertaken that same journey already have found their "center" in yoga.

Also, if you want a REALLY challenging yoga workout, find a copy of Yoga X from the P90X series.   it's 90 minutes and it is a GREAT workout.... "centering" be-dammed.

2013-12-12 7:11 AM
in reply to: momo

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Originally posted by momo

Having the ability to clear your mind and use the breath through various poses. Helping with mental focus as well as core and mild strengthen benefits.

yoga is a form of mediation. you have to let yourself go, focusing on the breathing and moving poses.. while analyzing the body. The breathing is the focal point of yoga (most) hence comparison to the ocean. waves come in and go out.

Thanks for the advice...I should be hitting a new studio next week. I guess to start with, I need to understand this "meditation" thing. I don't get that either... I can sit still and control my breath. But "Empty my mind?" I'm not sure how or why...I can distract my mind with a tough workout or climb, but I don't think I can make it empty by sheer will - that seems like telling someone "Don't look at that elephant over there!" They are going to look, right?

2013-12-12 7:49 AM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by Zero2Athlete
Originally posted by momo Having the ability to clear your mind and use the breath through various poses. Helping with mental focus as well as core and mild strengthen benefits. yoga is a form of mediation. you have to let yourself go, focusing on the breathing and moving poses.. while analyzing the body. The breathing is the focal point of yoga (most) hence comparison to the ocean. waves come in and go out.
Thanks for the advice...I should be hitting a new studio next week. I guess to start with, I need to understand this "meditation" thing. I don't get that either... I can sit still and control my breath. But "Empty my mind?" I'm not sure how or why...I can distract my mind with a tough workout or climb, but I don't think I can make it empty by sheer will - that seems like telling someone "Don't look at that elephant over there!" They are going to look, right?

You don't actually empty your mind. As you said, the whole "don't think about" thing doesn't work. What you do is focus on one thing (usually the breathing). Some people need to close their eyes, some can keep them open with a soft focus on some object. Either way, your mind WILL wander. Random thoughts will creep in, to-do lists, whatever. You just acknowledge them, and then let them go. Eventually, they'll slow down, maybe even stop. It's not so much emptying your mind as eliminating the internal distractions.

2013-12-12 10:23 AM
in reply to: briderdt

Champion
Calgary
For me, yoga is boring. I am not patient. I want to get out and run, get the heart pumping, get the muscles working. In doing that I find peace, sometimes. For me, yoga takes so long. My mind is too busy. Running distracts my mind. Yoga......the silence seems to amplify the noise.

2013-12-12 12:03 PM
in reply to: BigDH

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'm a Bikram Yoga cult member practitioner, 2-4x/week during the off season and 1x during a training phase.  While I also don't really get the spiritual part of it ('m too busy trying not to fall over and crash into my fellow yogis during the standing poses), it has definitely provided some benefits to me:

• it's a solid, low-impact full-body workout for recovery workouts, and a good strength training routine with some cardio benefit if you go at it really hard
  • it helps balance (both muscular and the standing on one leg type)
  • it's a great core workout, especially for your back (it has really helped a low back injury for me)

Downsides:

• it's expensive (anywhere from $110/month for unlimited up to $20/class for drop-in at my studio)
  • it's a big time commitment (90 minutes)
  • it doesn't directly improve any of our three tri disciplines (other than some things that are personal, like injury prevention, shoulder flexibility for swimming, etc.)
  • people think you're crazy sitting in an 105 degree room for an hour and a half bending yourself into a pretzel (and honestly, they're probably not that far off)

There is a group of folks at my studio who practice every single day religiously (and I use that term pretty literally).  I would get bored pretty quickly if that were my only exercise.

2013-12-12 12:26 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX

I did yoga for a year, in hopes that I would "get it". Yep, never did. I become super flexible which was great! But that's about it. I never understood breathing thing and meditating. But I'm also not that kind of person who would want to "get" something like that. Ha! 

I also thought it was BORING.... and I did the power yoga where we moved a lot. I always had to run some miles before going to yoga, so I felt like I got a workout in. 

Currently I take a flexibility and contortion class (when I have time for it Sunday afternoons), and to me it is just as effective as yoga was. I stretch for 1 hour, but I don't have to worry about my breathing and "getting it". 

PS -  This thread has made me feel good that I don't "get it", and it's nice to know there are others out there like me! 

Edited by KSH 2013-12-12 12:28 PM
2013-12-12 1:08 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I'm a Bikram Yoga cult member practitioner, 2-4x/week during the off season and 1x during a training phase.  While I also don't really get the spiritual part of it ('m too busy trying not to fall over and crash into my fellow yogis during the standing poses), it has definitely provided some benefits to me:

• it's a solid, low-impact full-body workout for recovery workouts, and a good strength training routine with some cardio benefit if you go at it really hard
  • it helps balance (both muscular and the standing on one leg type)
  • it's a great core workout, especially for your back (it has really helped a low back injury for me)

Downsides:

• it's expensive (anywhere from $110/month for unlimited up to $20/class for drop-in at my studio)
  • it's a big time commitment (90 minutes)
  • it doesn't directly improve any of our three tri disciplines (other than some things that are personal, like injury prevention, shoulder flexibility for swimming, etc.)
  • people think you're crazy sitting in an 105 degree room for an hour and a half bending yourself into a pretzel (and honestly, they're probably not that far off)

There is a group of folks at my studio who practice every single day religiously (and I use that term pretty literally).  I would get bored pretty quickly if that were my only exercise.

I used to do the Bikram monthly membership thing before I started into triathlon, and I'd still like to take a class, but I've just been too lazy to get to it.  

ANY other yoga class I've taken, I haven't liked and I've tried everything from Hatha to Astanga to Yoga for Athletes or Yoga for strength, or whatever other yoga class tickled my fancy at the gym.  I would get hugely bored no matter what class it was and I hated hearing the instructor telling me to "feel my lungs expanding into my center of peace" or whatever.  But with the Bikrams, I could tune out whatever I didn't care to hear because I was concentrating and focusing so much on holding the pose for a minute while dripping with so much sweat that I was a big puddle of sweaty grossness.  

I don't do Bikrams for the spirituality or the meditation aspect at all - I liked it because it was a good workout, made me a heckuva lot more flexible and I liked the challenge.  

One thing I didn't like about it, was that the 90 minute classes would end up taking about 2-2.5 hours out of your day.  By the time you factor in travel time to and from, getting there early to make sure you got a spot, getting into the shower afterwards to get rid of the sweaty grossness... a 6pm class all of a sudden doesn't get you done until 8pm or so.  Oh well, if I ever get off my lazy duff, I'll go back for a class a week or so.    

2013-12-12 1:33 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I used to do the Bikram monthly membership thing before I started into triathlon, and I'd still like to take a class, but I've just been too lazy to get to it.  

ANY other yoga class I've taken, I haven't liked and I've tried everything from Hatha to Astanga to Yoga for Athletes or Yoga for strength, or whatever other yoga class tickled my fancy at the gym.  I would get hugely bored no matter what class it was and I hated hearing the instructor telling me to "feel my lungs expanding into my center of peace" or whatever.  But with the Bikrams, I could tune out whatever I didn't care to hear because I was concentrating and focusing so much on holding the pose for a minute while dripping with so much sweat that I was a big puddle of sweaty grossness.  

I don't do Bikrams for the spirituality or the meditation aspect at all - I liked it because it was a good workout, made me a heckuva lot more flexible and I liked the challenge.  

One thing I didn't like about it, was that the 90 minute classes would end up taking about 2-2.5 hours out of your day.  By the time you factor in travel time to and from, getting there early to make sure you got a spot, getting into the shower afterwards to get rid of the sweaty grossness... a 6pm class all of a sudden doesn't get you done until 8pm or so.  Oh well, if I ever get off my lazy duff, I'll go back for a class a week or so.    

Forget yoga! Do aerial silks!  

2013-12-12 3:07 PM

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Im an ADD kid... im always looking for chickens and squirrels.. or something.. lol

for some odd reason, I can settle myself in yoga. I guess because im being challenged to focus while doing something else.
its weird and i have no answers for it. Its like that kevin kosner movie when he was a pitcher.. he go in his zone.. "turn on matirx" all exterior things are muted. Plus I dont want to fall over doing crow, eagle, or some other balancing pose.. quite loud in a quiet room.. someone tried crow and fell over in front of me.

crow or crane.. http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/468
2013-12-12 9:50 PM

A word on breathing:

Forget for a minute all of that "centering" crap.

Some movements are supposed to be made while either inhaling or exhaling.

This is to protect your muscles/joints/spine.
2013-12-13 1:58 PM
in reply to: skibummer

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Hatha

Do you ever take a deep sigh and feel yourself let go of tension?  Yes?  This is what yoga can do for you on a larger scale.

2013-12-13 2:24 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
good point pga_mike...

2013-12-13 3:31 PM
in reply to: momo

Master
Crab Cake City
Girls in Yoga Pants????

2013-12-13 3:32 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Girls in Yoga Pants????

Supposed to be in red font
2013-12-14 9:54 AM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I just did some continuing education regarding yoga for triathletes.  It was a lecture given by Sage Roundtree.

One of the first things she explained was that there are several different types of yoga.  There are ones that hold poses, such as hatha.  There are "flow" yogas, such as vinyasa. More "mystical" versions like kundalini.  the list goes on...

You need to find the type that suits you.  Personally, I do best with the more physical, flowing types that are less "mystical".  I know to avoid hatha and kundalini, etc, but Vinyasa is better for me.

Yoga should be periodized in your training cycle.  The intensity of the yoga should be inverse to the intensity of your s/b/r training.  Generally speaking, this means that you will do it more frequently and more intense types during the out season, and less frequently and less intense types during the meat of your racing season.

Also, athletes tend to need a longer warmup than non-athletes, so it can be useful to do a separate general warmup on a piece of cardio equipment prior to your yoga session and don't try to force more challenging poses early in the session.

2013-12-14 8:43 PM
in reply to: BigDH

Veteran
Originally posted by BigDH

For me, yoga is boring. I am not patient. I want to get out and run, get the heart pumping, get the muscles working. In doing that I find peace, sometimes. For me, yoga takes so long. My mind is too busy. Running distracts my mind. Yoga......the silence seems to amplify the noise.

Are u running away from yourself?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Help a Yoga Non-Believer Understand... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Help a non-believer understand Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by pga_mike
Views: 5131 Posts: 82

2013-12-12 2:54 PM BrianRunsPhilly

Shun the non believer!

Started by Tri-FatBoy
Views: 1609 Posts: 8

2008-04-23 11:23 AM Tri-FatBoy

Youth "Competitive Cheerleading" - Help me understand Pages: 1 2

Started by OldAg92
Views: 2463 Posts: 44

2008-04-05 10:56 PM jonmetz

Ok you guys, pls help me understand... Pages: 1 2 3

Started by kimta
Views: 2964 Posts: 68

2006-03-23 6:42 AM Marvarnett

W. on torture: help me understand Pages: 1 2 3

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 3166 Posts: 60

2005-11-08 11:39 AM drewb8
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The goals of these treatments are to reduce the need for splints, braces, and anti-inflammatory medications while allowing the patient to continue in their activity of choice during treatment.

date : April 19, 2009
comments : 0
This third and final yoga for triathlete sequence is perfect for following up your training day help you feel more focused, aligned, rejuvenated and recovered.
date : February 16, 2009
comments : 2
What you should know about Achilles tendinopathy to prevent its occurrence and to stop it in its tracks before it stops you.

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : December 11, 2007
comments : 0
I am trying to go from being 40 lbs. overweight, however, I keep having pain in my knees, ankle, or hip that stops me from exercising for several days - killing my momentum.

date : November 7, 2007
author : YourYoga
comments : 4
The focus for this first session will be on breathing. Breathing will be the foundation for the more complex and strenuous poses that will support your bodyweight in future yoga poses.
date : May 21, 2007
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.