General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters swim starting to work Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-11 1:44 PM

Subject: Masters swim starting to work
Forgive my humble brag - I am happy to report that masters swim is starting to work a bit. Today I smashed through the previously unbroken 1:30/100yd with, ahem, a 1:29. I was pleased.

I still aspire to be as fast as my lane mates, who did 1:24 and 1:20. I am not sure what they are doing that I'm not doing. They do sure look a lot more calm and measured than I feel, however.

2013-12-11 1:56 PM
in reply to: north_north_west

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Masters swim starting to work

Nice! 

What was your training like (yardage) and pace before starting with the Masters group?

How long have you been with them?

2013-12-11 3:55 PM
in reply to: Donto

I have been with them about seven weeks, going twice a week. Prior to that I was also swimming about twice a week, maybe 3300yds total. I was doing more 'triathlete sets' (400yds or more) at about 1:50-1:55/100yds or so.

With them, I tend to swim three times a week (its nice to occasionally practice at my own pace), so it maybe close to 4000yds or a bit more.

I have some big issues with my stroke which are hopefully going away.

There is one guy there who went from 1:45 to 1:15 over the course of two years. I aspire to be that guy.
2013-12-11 4:38 PM

User image

Inglewood
I've heard from two different swim coaches (as well as articles in the USMS magazine) that 3 one-hour swim sessions per week (2800-3500 yds per session) is only good enough to maintain your current swim fitness. The best way to increase your swim speed is to add a fourth (or more) hour to your weekly training. Doubles don't hurt either, if you have the time. Sure enough, when I managed to go to 4 masters sessions/week my speed improved. The past several months I've only been able to go twice a week and my swim speed has kinda dropped.
2013-12-11 5:40 PM
in reply to: starkrayz

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by starkrayz I've heard from two different swim coaches (as well as articles in the USMS magazine) that 3 one-hour swim sessions per week (2800-3500 yds per session) is only good enough to maintain your current swim fitness. The best way to increase your swim speed is to add a fourth (or more) hour to your weekly training. Doubles don't hurt either, if you have the time. Sure enough, when I managed to go to 4 masters sessions/week my speed improved. The past several months I've only been able to go twice a week and my swim speed has kinda dropped.

More than 3 times/wk would definitely lead to more gains, but quite a few on here would see noticeable improvement going to 3 x 1 hr of good masters sessions every week for awhile. Just so people don't see it as all or nothing. After some development, yes, things would tend to flatten out on this. And probably sooner than if they were swimming more. 

2013-12-11 6:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Probably more is better. Still, with 3 swim sessions, 3 - 4 run sessions, 1 or 2 bike sessions, and a rest day, there is Only So Much Time.

I think right now at 3x a week things are still improving. But you are certainly right, it will plateau eventually.

2013-12-12 2:32 PM
in reply to: starkrayz

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by starkrayz

I've heard from two different swim coaches (as well as articles in the USMS magazine) that 3 one-hour swim sessions per week (2800-3500 yds per session) is only good enough to maintain your current swim fitness.

It's certainly a good "average" amount of time to aim for for swimming practice, but in reality, continuing your current volume & intensity will maintian your fitness.

Increasing it will improve fitness, whether you currently swim 1 x a week, 2x or 5x.

But swim fitness is only 1 component of speed. Technique is the other. The OP hinted that his lane mates seem 'smoother' and calmer and that he has 'big problems' with his stroke. Those can be fixed without affecting fitness. In fact, fitness can decrease and speed can improve if technique is improved at t he same time. YOu always have to ask if the current fitness is being applied to motor patterns that matter.

2013-12-12 6:19 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Originally posted by AdventureBear

,,, The OP hinted that his lane mates seem 'smoother' and calmer and that he has 'big problems' with his stroke. Those can be fixed without affecting fitness. ...

Unfortunately, It's not a hint , it's a fact.

The second day I was there, they did video taping of strokes, and it was a big surprise to me. I am not sure if my description can do it justice, but best I can describe, my body was actually serpentining in a unique manner as I swam along, with the legs alternatively sticking out the left, and then the right. And of course I was doing other classic errors, like slipping and bringing my hands out to soon, crossing the center line as I was swimming, and having no catch-up at all. Overall I looked like a hurried and uncoordinated mess.

I swear, it felt much better than it looked.

Masters swim has really helped with a lot of it. I am concentration on keeping a straight pull having a decent catch-up, and keeping the kick short, coordinated and behind me. I think it has not yet translated into big speed improvements but it is coming along. My lane mates, in the time I have been there, have improved from about 1:30 to about 1:20, so this really is a good program.

2013-12-13 1:11 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by north_north_west

Masters swim has really helped with a lot of it. I am concentration on keeping a straight pull having a decent catch-up, and keeping the kick short, coordinated and behind me. I think it has not yet translated into big speed improvements but it is coming along. My lane mates, in the time I have been there, have improved from about 1:30 to about 1:20, so this really is a good program.

It sounds like you have a good coach! One tip...don't chase the speed. Just work on one form focus at a time and as those get straightened out the speed will come. The more anxious you are about finding the speed, the harder it will be to make the technique improvements. Kind of like what they say about finding "the one". It's most likley to happen when you are not looking for it.
2013-12-13 5:53 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

• .. Kind of like what they say about finding "the one". It's most likley to happen when you are not looking for it.

• True - but a totally different problem (one, fortunately, solved)!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters swim starting to work Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Masters swim not working!

Started by north_north_west
    Views: 1760 Posts: 16

2013-11-21 4:41 PM Macguyverguy

Why is masters swim called masters swim?

Started by yazmaster
    Views: 2155 Posts: 18

2013-07-25 2:16 PM simpsonbo

IMLP swim start tips or any 2500+ mass swim start tips...if any Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
    Views: 4385 Posts: 30

2013-09-07 12:41 PM FELTGood

Starting a masters swim group

Started by Climbinggonzo
    Views: 769 Posts: 5

2011-12-10 10:57 AM bdenehy

How do indoor swim starts work?

Started by Ozmokis
    Views: 980 Posts: 9

2005-02-09 1:42 PM gypsykorea
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 10, 2011
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 1
    Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : August 22, 2006
    author : Team BT
    comments : 0
    Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
    date : June 21, 2006
    author : Ron
    These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : February 28, 2005
    author : rautorino
    Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.
    date : November 28, 2004
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!

date : September 10, 2004
    author : steve
    Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?
    date : August 31, 2004
    Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.

date : August 31, 2004
    Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.