General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Austin - Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Austin - Sprint Duathlon - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 21s
Overall Rank = 60/141
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Race didn't start until 2pm. So I relaxed at home in the morning having a normal breakfast and an early light lunch. Bill drove me to the race with plenty of time to spare. As soon as we got out of the van I felt how cold it was and saw that it was completely overcast. And for a moment, I thought of just going home.

There was plenty of time to set up transition and then obsess about what I was going to wear. Overcast, 48° and 19 mph winds, I really wasn't sure what to wear. I ended up wearing my kit, short socks, short-sleeve wool bike jersey, my warmest arm warmers, and gloves. I had nothing to wear on my head and ended up buying a very lightweight headband to cover my ears, and that was smart. I also put toe cover on my tri shoes. Also smart.
Event warmup:

Took a gu and some water 15 min before the start. Than just an easy run to warm up. They started the race 5 minutes early, so it was a little shorter warm up than I was planning. I slipped off my sweatpants right before the start.
Run
  • 17m 56s
  • 2.25 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I managed to keep a pretty even pace for the first run despite the hills. I was slightly warm, but not too hot. Because of my limited training and the toughness of the course, I focused on my HR more than my pace.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I saw Bill as I was heading into T1. He was offering me my jacket, but I knew I wouldn't need it on the bike.

What a slow transition. I took off my running gloves and switched to my full finger bike gloves. But I had never worn them before. And with sweaty hands, they were really hard to get on. Once I got one on, I was committed to putting on the other.

Wear the bike gloves during the run.
Bike
  • 57m 2s
  • 14 miles
  • 14.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm so glad I brought my road bike instead of my tri bike. I would have spent very little time in aero. And I've been doing no training on my tri bike on the roads. I was very comfortable handling my road bike on this course.

I paced myself well on the bike. Again, I didn't pay attention to speed, but rather my HR. Shortly into the bike, nobody was passing me and I was only passing others. I saw some folks walking up the hills, but I put my head down and got up them ok.

Second lap was a little faster for me, especially the last couple of miles when I felt like I was the only one on the course.

Everything could have been a little faster. Training would have helped. But I was dressed just right. Glad to have the gloves on the bike. Feet, hands, and ears stayed warm.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Having such a slow T1, I really focused on getting OUT. Threw off helmet and glasses, switched shoes, and ran out. As I was running, I took off my bike gloves, headband and wool jersey. I tossed them to Bill as I passed him.

Nothing
Run
  • 18m 35s
  • 2.25 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

As I was about to go up the first hill, I peeled off my arm warmers. The sun came out at the end of the bike. I didn't want to be too warm. Air was cold, but I didn't feel cold.

I walked up the hill to get my HR down a bit and to calm down. Then I just focused on a short stride and moving forward, running the tangents. Felt good passing people during the run. Once I reached the turn around, I knew there wasn't going to be another woman passing before the finish. So I just enjoyed the rest of the race.

More training of course! But ran the second run with the same effort as the first, slower pace, but not too much slower.
Post race
Warm down:

Quickly put on some warm clothes, drank some water, ate half a bagel with cream cheese and waited around for the awards. 1st place F 40-44! It's all about who shows up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training

Event comments:

Always fun to race somewhere new. Nice not having to deal with traffic. But with all the hills and turns on the bike course, I was a little nervous about having a head on collision with another biker.

This is my second HITS race, and I'm starting to think they're not the best organized, especially about getting information to the racers in advance and enough volunteers on race day. Going into future HITS races, that's something to keep in mind. This was a great race as a time trail, but I'm not sure I would do another HITS race as my A race of the season.

8/53 woman
60/141 overall

Last updated: 2013-10-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:56 | 02.25 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/141
Performance: Good
Avg HR 177, Max HR 184 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/415723853
Course: The run was an out-an-back on the COTA race track which included a couple of significant inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 02:01
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:57:02 | 14 miles | 14.73 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Avg HR 170, Max HR 180 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/415723860
Wind: Strong
Course: This was a technical course with lots of steep hills and tight turns. A double out and back. A little water on the course, but not too much.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:35 | 02.25 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Avg HR 177, Max HR 183. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/415723868
Course: Same as Run #1
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-12-15 8:40 AM

User image

Austin, Texas
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Austin - Sprint Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Austin - Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Sprint Course

Started by kotapop
Views: 641 Posts: 2

2012-04-30 9:02 AM djastroman

HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Sprint Course

Started by Fokker416
Views: 994 Posts: 1

2012-04-12 7:40 PM Fokker416

HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Sprint Course

Started by hphock
Views: 1272 Posts: 4

2012-02-20 7:10 PM Socks

HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Sprint Course

Started by scienceteacher
Views: 1221 Posts: 2

2012-01-09 9:48 AM larry ligouri

HITS Triathlon Series: Coachella - Sprint Course

Started by spjon25
Views: 1511 Posts: 1

2011-12-06 12:08 AM spjon25
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.