General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-08-06 9:51 AM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread

Athlete guide is finally up on the website for 2014.

Does anyone have thoughts on signing up for next year.
They moved the date to October for 2015. So I'm assuming it'll sell out much faster. They have athlete sign up for next year on both Friday and Saturday before the race. I'm waffling.

2014-08-07 10:15 AM
in reply to: sbrdave

Veteran
Originally posted by sbrdave

Originally posted by cedar creek

The videos are the 4 keys to Ironman Louisville on you tube. I followed the videos pretty closely in 2012 when I did Louisville. Watch the videos several times and take in and do what he says. It will save you a lot of suffering if you do.
I'm following the same advice for IM Chattanooga in sept.

Starts at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-U-Uc0BFyc

Saw the link before somewhere else and just haven't watch yet, but DEFINITELY will!

no idea where I got the dvd, but before I did my first IM, I watched the dvd they refer to in this video - it is super helpful, especially for your first time. last year I went to one of their talks - not as good as the dvd as things like, "don't speed up on the run until mile 18" is useless to someone like me who isn't going to be speeding up anywhere on the run, but they really do break it down well and help you get into an execution mindset. go watch the link! and with only a couple weeks left, go watch it now. then go find the race day execution video and watch that too. really helps with anxiety and state of mind
2014-08-07 10:23 AM
in reply to: Zuri

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Zuri Athlete guide is finally up on the website for 2014. Does anyone have thoughts on signing up for next year. They moved the date to October for 2015. So I'm assuming it'll sell out much faster. They have athlete sign up for next year on both Friday and Saturday before the race. I'm waffling.

I was curious about this as well. Wondering if volunteers in August 2014 can sign up for October 2015? Or if they will wait until October to open it up. I know a few races have changed dates/months in the past, does anyone know/remember how those have worked?

Just trying to see if I need to head to Louisville in a few weeks

2014-08-07 10:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chicago
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Zuri Athlete guide is finally up on the website for 2014. Does anyone have thoughts on signing up for next year. They moved the date to October for 2015. So I'm assuming it'll sell out much faster. They have athlete sign up for next year on both Friday and Saturday before the race. I'm waffling.

I was curious about this as well. Wondering if volunteers in August 2014 can sign up for October 2015? Or if they will wait until October to open it up. I know a few races have changed dates/months in the past, does anyone know/remember how those have worked?

Nope, no need to wait until October if you or someone you know is a volunteer. They actually get priority registration on the Monday following the race (next day), if memory serves you just need to show up with a credit card and you're volunteer shirt/bracelet/whatever.

I'll actually be going this route to guarantee a spot for Madison in 2015.

To be safe though I'd shoot Ironman a note to confirm.

Edited by Skipjack_50 2014-08-07 10:38 AM
2014-08-07 10:43 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Skipjack_50

Nope, no need to wait until October if you or someone you know is a volunteer. They actually get priority registration on the Monday following the race (next day), if memory serves you just need to show up with a credit card and you're volunteer shirt/bracelet/whatever. I'll actually be going this route to guarantee a spot for Madison in 2015. To be safe though I'd shoot Ironman a note to confirm.

I know that's how it normally works, but with the date changing to 2 months later I wasn't sure if they were going to wait to open up registration... it seems though, in researching, that they are going to do it like they usually do:

General registration for the 2015 IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health will open at Noon ET Monday, August 25th, 2014 on www.ironman.com/louisville

2014-08-07 11:13 AM
in reply to: lisac957

I think that's how it'll work this year. Even though it's October race, because volunteers are on site, they'll get to register the following day. That's usual, and that's how the athlete's guide reads.

I'm wondering if anyone doing it this year is ready to sign up for it before race day. I just can't make up my mind. I think the October date is better, but I will say, I've always loved the fact I didn't have to sign up for this race a full year in advance.

2014-08-07 1:05 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Any past Louisville racers provide feedback on the Welcome dinner? Is it worth the $30 for guests. I wanted to ask before purchasing tickets for my wife and daughter. Should I skip it and eat somewhere else that night.
2014-08-07 9:06 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
I wasn't really impressed with the dinner. So so dinner at best, was very crowded and since I was alone, ended up standing up to eat. The program and information for the briefing was okay, don't think it helped me all that much. Others may feel different
2014-08-08 7:44 AM
in reply to: jgs733

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jgs733

I wasn't really impressed with the dinner. So so dinner at best, was very crowded and since I was alone, ended up standing up to eat. The program and information for the briefing was okay, don't think it helped me all that much. Others may feel different

Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning more toward a quiet dinner with my family away from the Triathlon atmosphere. What you discribed does not sound too relaxing.
2014-08-08 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
So question for course veterans: what is the bike course like as far as difficulty goes? I saw the elevation profile and watched the "4 Keys" youTube video. But still just wanted to get an idea of difficulty. Any really steep parts? Just lots of rollers? Any decent flats? Other overall impressions? All comments are welcome for this 1st timer. Thanks!

Edited by sbrdave 2014-08-08 2:00 PM
2014-08-08 2:23 PM

User image

Chicago
Originally posted by GODAWGS

Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning more toward a quiet dinner with my family away from the Triathlon atmosphere. What you discribed does not sound too relaxing.

You're making the right call. I went to the CDA dinner last year and found it was a waste of energy and that I should have done what you are planning to do here. I beat myself up a bit about it because I'm a stickler when it comes to nutrition (just generally anymore, not talking just how to fuel training/racing) and in retrospect it just invites too many variables.

Going solo this year so my plans are to hit Whole Foods and eat/chill in my hotel room, and watch some movies to catch up as well as think about something other than IM as I'm pretty close to all thought out on that topic at this point. last year was my first so I wanted to immerse myself in anything "Ironman" leading up to the event which is why I did the dinner,

2014-08-08 9:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Skipjack_50

Originally posted by GODAWGS

You're making the right call. I went to the CDA dinner last year and found it was a waste of energy and that I should have done what you are planning to do here. I beat myself up a bit about it because I'm a stickler when it comes to nutrition (just generally anymore, not talking just how to fuel training/racing) and in retrospect it just invites too many variables.

Going solo this year so my plans are to hit Whole Foods and eat/chill in my hotel room, and watch some movies to catch up as well as think about something other than IM as I'm pretty close to all thought out on that topic at this point. last year was my first so I wanted to immerse myself in anything "Ironman" leading up to the event which is why I did the dinner,

Thanks Brian...I think my wife is happy we are not eating at the dinner as well. So we will get early meal and head back to the room to relax.
2014-08-09 4:10 PM
in reply to: jgs733

Veteran

x2. and I too have been solo, which meant some guy felt free to tell me what I should and should not be eating or drink during my dinner. eye roll.

at LP this year they gave everyone at $25 gift certificate to use anywhere in LP or the surrounding towns. THAT would be much better. ")
2014-08-09 4:15 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by sheesleeva

x2. and I too have been solo, which meant some guy felt free to tell me what I should and should not be eating or drink during my dinner. eye roll.

at LP this year they gave everyone at $25 gift certificate to use anywhere in LP or the surrounding towns. THAT would be much better. ")

Thanks for the response. Had 2500 yard swim, 45 mile bike and 7 mile run today. Last brick in my training. So ready to get to race day!
2014-08-09 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the response. Had 2500 yard swim, 45 mile bike and 7 mile run today. Last brick in my training. So ready to get to race day!
2014-08-09 4:16 PM

Veteran

So question for course veterans: what is the bike course like as far as difficulty goes? I saw the elevation profile and watched the "4 Keys" youTube video. But still just wanted to get an idea of difficulty. Any really steep parts? Just lots of rollers? Any decent flats? Other overall impressions? All comments are welcome for this 1st timer. Thanks!

it is all relative, but someone told me, "I like Louisville, the hills are rollers so by the time you lose speed going down one, you are almost up the other. no long, steep climbs"

2014-08-10 12:42 PM

User image

New user
Salisbury
I am going to try and race! ha ha weird two weeks out deciding, I was originally signed up for IM Canada but divorce, injuries and a series of life challenges leave me about half trained....I know it will be an Epic struggle to just finish, but when i do it will be my finest hour .
That said I have little money now so will be looking to stay away
from downtown and save also I saw a couple of solo racers on here have you found decent lodging within 5 miles or so?
2014-08-13 9:36 AM

Veteran

I have had training brain, so just now got your post - no, I don't think you need to volunteer to get in. remember the huge controversy last year regarding IMAZ where they were doing charity first and people thought no on-line sign ups so lots went to Tempe to volunteer and register, well, I got online to sign up just to see if I could ... uh, i'm doing IMAZ this year. oops. you'll get in. save the cash for some cool accessories
2014-08-18 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
So, looking at the temperature forecast for Sunday -> 93! Mostly sunny skies too. Hoping for some moderation to that forecast as we get closer to race day but it's not looking likely at the moment. While I knew this would more than likely be a hot race, the unusually mild summer we've had in the Mid-Atlantic has prevented me from training in the heat like I would've for the past 2 months. I mean I can't remember when/if we actually had any days over 90. Plus it's been Fall-like in the mornings with temps in the upper 50s!

So, question I have is whether there's much shade on the run course? Looking for any hope of some relief while out on the course. I've raced in the heat before and will employ cooling strategies I've used previously. Just haven't done a full marathon in such conditions.

If the temp forecast comes true, I predict a LOT of folks walking and unfortunately perhaps me

Little under 6 days now!!

Edited by sbrdave 2014-08-18 7:08 AM
2014-08-18 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So, looking at the temperature forecast for Sunday -> 93! Mostly sunny skies too. Hoping for some moderation to that forecast as we get closer to race day but it's not looking likely at the moment. While I knew this would more than likely be a hot race, the unusually mild summer we've had in the Mid-Atlantic has prevented me from training in the heat like I would've for the past 2 months. I mean I can't remember when/if we actually had any days over 90. Plus it's been Fall-like in the mornings with temps in the upper 50s!

So, question I have is whether there's much shade on the run course? Looking for any hope of some relief while out on the course. I've raced in the heat before and will employ cooling strategies I've used previously. Just haven't done a full marathon in such conditions.

If the temp forecast comes true, I predict a LOT of folks walking and unfortunately perhaps me

First time doing race so I don't know about the shade except what was on race reports. It doesnt sound like a lot.

The temperatures have been mild compared to most summers in South Carolina so I am in the same boat as you.

Good luck on race!
2014-08-18 2:05 PM

Veteran
anyone know what the water temp is at this point?

2014-08-18 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland

anyone know what the water temp is at this point?

Searched but can't find a report at the site. Most way upstream and downstream points are at or above 77. Considering air temperatures will be between low 70s to upper 80s/mid 90s the rest of the week, I wouldn't expect this to be a wetsuit legal race.

Edited by sbrdave 2014-08-18 9:51 PM
2014-08-19 5:28 AM

User image

Expert

I will be down there with my dad who is racing. I have been watching the weather like crazy for a few days out, and it appears that it's going to be 90-95, and that's not going to change.

There is some shade on the run course, bike course not so much.
2014-08-21 8:29 PM
in reply to: RushTogether

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Louisville peeps I'm so excited for you! I did this race in 2011 and am registering for 2015 on Monday. Fingers crossed for great weather and tail winds all the way! You got this!! 

2014-08-22 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina
Good luck to everyone racing Sunday. Of course it will be hot and humid so Hydrate all day Sat and Sunday. Stay cool and hope
you each have your best race.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 56168 Posts: 370

2013-12-14 11:11 AM Cajuntriguy

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by vasqlartek
Views: 104869 Posts: 1070

2012-09-06 6:49 AM 7ofClubs

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by sdanaher
Views: 227982 Posts: 2778

2011-11-01 2:10 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by dlink
Views: 164798 Posts: 1740

2010-11-07 9:12 AM kdlsch111

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173114 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: