General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Popping Tubes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-15 6:33 PM

User image

Delco, PA
Subject: Trainer Popping Tubes?

I bought a Sunlite Forza F2 Mag Trainer a year ago and have used it 3x a week from December-April and November-now.  I've gone through the same routine every time when using it: mount the bike, turn the resistance to 4 turns, do the workout, then release the resistance so it's not in contact with the tire.

Recently, my tube got a hole in it.  I couldn't understand why because it was only on the trainer, but didn't think too much into it and bought a new tube.  I inspected the tire all around to make sure nothing was in there and there wasn't.  Replaced the tube, blew it up to the usual PSI, then left it overnight.  No air lost.

Mounted the bike back onto the trainer and did my workout, then right when I get off I realized air was lost, then blew it back up and lost air again. Hole in tube again.

I checked the trainer's magnetic wheel to make sure there's no odd ridges or defects in it and there aren't.  How is this happening?? Is there something I'm missing?

2013-12-15 8:44 PM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Trainer Popping Tubes?
Trainers that make contact with tires have a lot of heat build-up, leading to "melted" inner tubes. One solution has been to use a tire specifically designed for trainers. These tires dissipate heat better. The downside is yet another expense. I use a Lemond trainer. It has a direct drive, so there are no tires. I remove the rear wheel and place the Lemond trainer in the rear dropouts and ride. The sound from the fan is loud when on the trainer; however, it's a whisper when in the next room of the house. If absolute quiet is more your thing, CycleOps has a new magnetic direct drive trainer that costs the same ($650) as a Lemond trainer.
2013-12-15 9:22 PM

I have used a cheap rear tire on my Kinetic trainer for well over 1,000 miles. No issues. No popped tubes. I don't buy this "tube melting" theory, sorry.

Are you sure the issue is not mechanical, like bad rim tape, or something stuck in the tire?
2013-12-15 9:24 PM

I have used a cheap rear tire on my Kinetic trainer for well over 1,000 miles. No issues. No popped tubes. I don't buy this "tube melting" theory, sorry.

Are you sure the issue is not mechanical, like bad rim tape, or something stuck in the tire? Can you describe the type of hole you're getting?

Either way I would invest in a $2 patch kit.
2013-12-16 12:13 AM
in reply to: sentient.couch

User image

Expert
I've done thousands of trainer miles. Have had a tire come apart, but never a tube pop. Check for rim tape issues, a sharp hidden in the tire, the rim coming apart at the seam (you'll feel a slight edge on the inside) or other means of tube damage.
2013-12-16 6:13 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I agree with others, there's something else going on… Take the tire and tube out and run a cotton swab along the rim. If it catches on anything, then you know where the problem stems from. Do the same on the inside of the tire, nothing should catch.

Trainer specific tires do make a big difference though… much less heat (although I don't buy the melting of the tube… that would require significant more heat that the friction would generate) and most important no slip leading a higher quality work outs.

2013-12-16 5:19 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Delco, PA

To answer some questions, I thoroughly inspected the rim (didn't think to do that until reading these suggestions) and tire but still didn't find anything, even after aligning where the hole on the tube was.

It's a very small hole about an inch away from the valve and on the top (opposite side of the rim) of the tube.  I couldn't even see the hole, just found it by running my finger along it and felt the air. It's leaking very, very slowly as well.

Definitely nothing on the tire or rim.  Also I know it happened during the trainer ride because I left it pumped up the night before and didn't lose any air.

I'm going to buy a patch kit like sentient.couch suggested instead of continuously buying new $8 Bontrager tubes (only ones my LBS carries) only to see them pop everytime I use the trainer.

Neither a rim nor tire issue, and I don't think it's overheating simply because I've used the same trainer for hundreds of workouts before.  Anything else it could possibly be?

All help is appreciated guys

2013-12-16 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Maybe the tire is making too much contact with the trainer's rollor. The tire should make just enough contact with the trainer to avoid slipping. If you can see the tire spread against the trainer BEFORE you get on the bike, then there is too much contact.
2013-12-16 6:56 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

Delco, PA

Originally posted by Six000MileYear Maybe the tire is making too much contact with the trainer's rollor. The tire should make just enough contact with the trainer to avoid slipping. If you can see the tire spread against the trainer BEFORE you get on the bike, then there is too much contact.

That may very well be it.  I turn the knob four times after making contact.  However, this is only because I'll barely get any resistance if it's just touching the wheel, even in the hardest gearing.  Also, I've used that resistance a lot almost every time I've used the trainer beforehand.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Popping Tubes? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Vasa Trainer or Triton Swim trainer?

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 2978 Posts: 1

2008-08-10 9:02 PM Shermbelle

Tubes, tubes, tubes

Started by sixjester
Views: 993 Posts: 3

2008-07-01 4:52 PM briderdt

Tire Keeps Popping

Started by rbschlesinger
Views: 3856 Posts: 13

2006-12-14 11:18 PM magic

Pop-up camper

Started by mandy7741
Views: 672 Posts: 4

2006-06-08 10:07 PM CBarnes

Handlebar Ends Popping off after a visit to the shop

Started by justalittletri
Views: 1084 Posts: 7

2005-11-17 12:46 PM Biseman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 2
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.
date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.