Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Caught a burglar in the act on Saturday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-16 1:09 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Caught a burglar in the act on Saturday

One of my neighbors down the street was broken into on Saturday and he immediately told the police to come talk to me.  No, not because he thought I did it, but because he knew I had security cameras all over my house.  ;-)

It took me about 5 minutes to find the perp on my cameras, and we've got a really good description of his vehicle and plenty of evidence to show that he was the one doing the burglary.

I was able to email these videos to everyone on the street and we collaboratively began the investigation with the police.  Turns out, several of the neighbors had seen this vehicle parked at the new construction house (2 houses down from the burglary house), so we're pretty confident we'll be arresting this punk.

And you guys thought I was all crazy for having night vision security cameras.  lol
Well, my neighbors don't think I'm crazy, so there.  :-P

Apparently, this punk has been hitting quite a few houses around us, so the police were very appreciative of my nerdyness.

Here's the video's if you're bored.  (btw, this happened at 6:40 PM on Saturday)
(if you click on HD for the videos you can see things a little better)

Video 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHktMTlHqPY)  - Bad guy comes up the street and parks across from burglary house.  Victim house is second one down on the right.
1:38 into video bad guy gets out of his car and runs in between houses to the back yard)
6:26 he starts coming out again, but the neighbor returning spooks him to run back into the yard.
8:00 into video he runs back to his car
8:45 he starts to walk back to the house but gets spooked by our neighbors teenage daughter leaving.  You can see him looking back and pretending like he's just strolling down the street.
9:50 he runs back to car and leaves.  Still hasn't taken anything, we suspect he's just finished breaking in at this point.
10:14 Get a good look at his vehicle driving by.  Appears to be a ford explorer with front right wheel having a black rim on it (great distinguishing feature)

Video 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xkaRyXSo6Y  Bad guy returns but this time parks in front of the new construction house two houses down from victim house.
Tracks in the snow show that he went through the back yards to haul most of his stuff down to the construction house and then loaded it up from there so as to appear that he's just loading stuff up from the construction house.  So sneaky
(Not too much excitement in this video)
18:41 the neighbor next to the construction house returns and notices his car with the door open which she thought was weird.  Apparently so

Video 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnLx8FrRVNg  Bad guy returns for a third time and we get another good look at his car from the left side )
Just leaves the car running and the door open as he runs back into the house to get his last load.
1:15  Believe he's carrying big screen LCD TV out to put in back of SUV.
Then leaves for good

2013-12-16 1:14 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Caught a burglar in the act on Saturday

Originally posted by tuwood

One of my neighbors down the street was broken into on Saturday and he immediately told the police to come talk to me.  No, not because he thought I did it, but because he knew I had security cameras all over my house.  ;-)

It took me about 5 minutes to find the perp on my cameras, and we've got a really good description of his vehicle and plenty of evidence to show that he was the one doing the burglary.

I was able to email these videos to everyone on the street and we collaboratively began the investigation with the police.  Turns out, several of the neighbors had seen this vehicle parked at the new construction house (2 houses down from the burglary house), so we're pretty confident we'll be arresting this punk.

And you guys thought I was all crazy for having night vision security cameras.  lol
Well, my neighbors don't think I'm crazy, so there.  :-P

Apparently, this punk has been hitting quite a few houses around us, so the police were very appreciative of my nerdyness.

Here's the video's if you're bored.  (btw, this happened at 6:40 PM on Saturday)
(if you click on HD for the videos you can see things a little better)

Video 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHktMTlHqPY)  - Bad guy comes up the street and parks across from burglary house.  Victim house is second one down on the right.
1:38 into video bad guy gets out of his car and runs in between houses to the back yard)
6:26 he starts coming out again, but the neighbor returning spooks him to run back into the yard.
8:00 into video he runs back to his car
8:45 he starts to walk back to the house but gets spooked by our neighbors teenage daughter leaving.  You can see him looking back and pretending like he's just strolling down the street.
9:50 he runs back to car and leaves.  Still hasn't taken anything, we suspect he's just finished breaking in at this point.
10:14 Get a good look at his vehicle driving by.  Appears to be a ford explorer with front right wheel having a black rim on it (great distinguishing feature)

Video 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xkaRyXSo6Y  Bad guy returns but this time parks in front of the new construction house two houses down from victim house.
Tracks in the snow show that he went through the back yards to haul most of his stuff down to the construction house and then loaded it up from there so as to appear that he's just loading stuff up from the construction house.  So sneaky
(Not too much excitement in this video)
18:41 the neighbor next to the construction house returns and notices his car with the door open which she thought was weird.  Apparently so

Video 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnLx8FrRVNg  Bad guy returns for a third time and we get another good look at his car from the left side )
Just leaves the car running and the door open as he runs back into the house to get his last load.
1:15  Believe he's carrying big screen LCD TV out to put in back of SUV.
Then leaves for good

Dude - you're going ot have to trust me on this.....your neighbors think you're crazy. 

2013-12-16 1:21 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

haha, but in a good way

2013-12-16 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

That is some serious clarity on those cameras! Do your daughters have trouble maintaining boyfriends?

2013-12-16 1:33 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Wish I was a defense attorney and had access to this site!  LOL

2013-12-16 1:43 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jford2309

lol, I'm pretty sure the footage is going to be on the news tonight so they'll get access to it.  

2013-12-16 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Aarondb4

That is some serious clarity on those cameras! Do your daughters have trouble maintaining boyfriends?

They're decent.  I've got the 2 Megapixel ones on there now, but I'm planning to upgrade them to the 5 Megapixel ones that came out a few months ago.  My company sells them to businesses, so I buy them as wholesale demo units.  (they're still expensive though)

Just uploaded a quick video of me backing out a couple hours before the burglary so you can see the daytime quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSSWN4JVBHk

These work great for making out license plates in the driveway, but aren't good enough to make them out in the street.  So, I'll be upgrading soon.  <insert LB sarcasm here>  

For some reason all my daughters boyfriends over the years think my geek stuff is cool.  Even when I was cleaning my shotgun at the table it didn't have the desired effect.  He just came over and thought it was really cool.  grrr

2013-12-16 1:52 PM

User image

Pro

They're decent.  I've got the 2 Megapixel ones on there now, but I'm planning to upgrade them to the 5 Megapixel ones that came out a few months ago.  My company sells them to businesses, so I buy them as wholesale demo units.  (they're still expensive though)

Just uploaded a quick video of me backing out a couple hours before the burglary so you can see the daytime quality.

These work great for making out license plates in the driveway, but aren't good enough to make them out in the street.  So, I'll be upgrading soon.    

For some reason all my daughters boyfriends over the years think my geek stuff is cool.  Even when I was cleaning my shotgun at the table it didn't have the desired effect.  He just came over and thought it was really cool.  grrr

Whoa......if you have clarity that will read plates far enough to catch them on the street in those videos that will be badass.....that's our biggest aggravation, we can't read plates.

2013-12-16 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Left Brain

These work great for making out license plates in the driveway, but aren't good enough to make them out in the street.  So, I'll be upgrading soon.    

Whoa......if you have clarity that will read plates far enough to catch them on the street in those videos that will be badass.....that's our biggest aggravation, we can't read plates.

I smell a huge government contract headed Tony's way. Cops can't stand it when the civy's have cooler stuff than they do!

2013-12-16 2:27 PM

User image

Queen BTich

lol, I'm pretty sure the footage is going to be on the news tonight so they'll get access to it.  

Am I the only one thinking, "the burglar & possible associates will now know which house has expensive electronic surveillance equipment...and probably other cool gadgets too?"

Just seems that it brings attention to you by it being on the news?

The videos are neat though!

2013-12-16 2:28 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

yeah, 2 Megapixels will get you plates out to ~20-30 feet.  If you look at me backing out of the driveway video above you can see my plates pretty clear but lose them around the sidewalk.

With 5 Megapixels you get out to about ~50-75 feet, so the street should be visible with cars driving by.  

2013-12-16 2:35 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Comet

Am I the only one thinking, "the burglar & possible associates will now know which house has expensive electronic surveillance equipment...and probably other cool gadgets too?"

There's always that chance, but pretty much any house in my neighborhood is full of very expensive stuff, so I suspect the bad guy's will focus on the path of least resistance and not go for the guy who takes security seriously.  LB could probably comment more on this.

The police may be able to track him down without going to the news, but if they run out of leads they'll run it.  We have a very close neighborhood and I'm more than happy to do my part in catching this dude.  

2013-12-16 2:40 PM

User image

Pro

I smell a huge government contract headed Tony's way. Cops can't stand it when the civy's have cooler stuff than they do!

LOL......I'm waiting to see them installed.

2013-12-16 2:42 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Comet

There's always that chance, but pretty much any house in my neighborhood is full of very expensive stuff, so I suspect the bad guy's will focus on the path of least resistance and not go for the guy who takes security seriously.  LB could probably comment more on this.

The police may be able to track him down without going to the news, but if they run out of leads they'll run it.  We have a very close neighborhood and I'm more than happy to do my part in catching this dude.  

Never underestimate the stupidity of these people......how the hell do you think we catch them?  We're not exactly overflowing with rocket scientists here.

2013-12-16 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Impressed with the quality compared to some of the videos that you see on TV.

Also a great time to remind people of the lessons that I learned the hard way....

Insurance matters...

1 - Get covered.
2 - Check coverage and get riders for anything of value. I learned how low our jewelry limits were the hard way.
3 - Scan all of your receipts and pictures of merchandise with packaging and serial/model numbers. keep in a nice dropbox file or similar.
4 - A Dremel engraver doesn't cost much, but makes it tougher to re-sell and easier to recover metal/wood things of value.... guns, metal bike components, intruments, etc.
2013-12-16 2:59 PM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Elite
Originally posted by eabeam

Impressed with the quality compared to some of the videos that you see on TV.

Also a great time to remind people of the lessons that I learned the hard way....

Insurance matters...

1 - Get covered.
2 - Check coverage and get riders for anything of value. I learned how low our jewelry limits were the hard way.
3 - Scan all of your receipts and pictures of merchandise with packaging and serial/model numbers. keep in a nice dropbox file or similar.
4 - A Dremel engraver doesn't cost much, but makes it tougher to re-sell and easier to recover metal/wood things of value.... guns, metal bike components, intruments, etc.

I don't know Tony, but if I'm watching surveillance, it had better be narrated by Joey Grecco and culminate with a dramatic confrontation!

Seriously, very cool. Video surveillance is great stuff. Nice work!

2013-12-16 3:01 PM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by eabeam Impressed with the quality compared to some of the videos that you see on TV. Also a great time to remind people of the lessons that I learned the hard way.... Insurance matters... 1 - Get covered. 2 - Check coverage and get riders for anything of value. I learned how low our jewelry limits were the hard way. 3 - Scan all of your receipts and pictures of merchandise with packaging and serial/model numbers. keep in a nice dropbox file or similar. 4 - A Dremel engraver doesn't cost much, but makes it tougher to re-sell and easier to recover metal/wood things of value.... guns, metal bike components, intruments, etc.

Good points.

My wife's boss just got his house broken into. They got over $20k in jewelry and ran his credit card up $6k before he figured it out. Almost any homeowner policy will have an internal limit on theft of jewelry and some other specified items. His internal limit was $5k, so after his $1k deductible he gets $4k and loses $16.

Make sure to read your homeowners policy thoroughly. He specifically asked his insurance agent if his wife's jewels were covered and they assured him they were, then they even said his umbrella policy would cover it (umbrella policies only cover liability, no property at all). Not all agents know what they are talking about so it is important to read for yourself and make sure you are adequately covered. 

2013-12-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
Originally posted by eabeam Impressed with the quality compared to some of the videos that you see on TV. Also a great time to remind people of the lessons that I learned the hard way.... Insurance matters... 1 - Get covered. 2 - Check coverage and get riders for anything of value. I learned how low our jewelry limits were the hard way. 3 - Scan all of your receipts and pictures of merchandise with packaging and serial/model numbers. keep in a nice dropbox file or similar. 4 - A Dremel engraver doesn't cost much, but makes it tougher to re-sell and easier to recover metal/wood things of value.... guns, metal bike components, intruments, etc.
I don't know Tony, but if I'm watching surveillance, it had better be narrated by Joey Grecco and culminate with a dramatic confrontation! Seriously, very cool. Video surveillance is great stuff. Nice work!

lol, I love playing with the video stuff.  Best witness (or worst) there is.

We caught a Coyote running through our neighborhood on my dashcam in the car the other night.  Everyone thought it was cool and I got to sing "what does the fox say, ding ding ding ding ding" the rest of the night.  For some reason my wife kept yelling "It was a freaking Coyote, not a FOX".  

2013-12-16 3:08 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
I don't know Tony, but if I'm watching surveillance, it had better be narrated by Joey Grecco and culminate with a dramatic confrontation! Seriously, very cool. Video surveillance is great stuff. Nice work!

lol, I love playing with the video stuff.  Best witness (or worst) there is.

We caught a Coyote running through our neighborhood on my dashcam in the car the other night.  Everyone thought it was cool and I got to sing "what does the fox say, ding ding ding ding ding" the rest of the night.  For some reason my wife kept yelling "It was a freaking Coyote, not a FOX".  

Right after she says that ya just stare off in the distance, stay silent for five seconds, then say, "That was one hell of a fox."
2013-12-16 3:10 PM

User image

Joe Horn posts on BT?
2013-12-16 4:35 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Got a feeling on how this guy is targeting his houses?

But I agree with you.  This guy is running when he saw headlights or someone leaving - I'm sure he's not going to hit the house with an elaborate video.

My neighborhood had a rash of break-ins and I started to panic, but realized (even though it's not foolproof) that I don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than my neighbor.  Just meaning, if MY house looks like the most intimidating house (security stickers on the windows, motion lights, rose bushes in front of windows, car parked outside, 2 dogs - ALL of which may not be that big of a deterrent) they may choose to pick on houses that seem like easier targets. 

2013-12-16 4:45 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Kido

Got a feeling on how this guy is targeting his houses?

But I agree with you.  This guy is running when he saw headlights or someone leaving - I'm sure he's not going to hit the house with an elaborate video.

My neighborhood had a rash of break-ins and I started to panic, but realized (even though it's not foolproof) that I don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than my neighbor.  Just meaning, if MY house looks like the most intimidating house (security stickers on the windows, motion lights, rose bushes in front of windows, car parked outside, 2 dogs - ALL of which may not be that big of a deterrent) they may choose to pick on houses that seem like easier targets. 

Not entirely sure how he's picking them yet, but the police did mention there was another break in that was similar in a neighborhood near ours.  It also had a new construction house just two doors down.

So, they were speculating that it was the same guy that's either working on the construction crew, which would be really stupid, or looking for houses that have an empty construction house near by so he can haul everything to the under construction house to make it look less suspicious when he actually loads his car up.  

They think he was walking through the back yards and carrying things to the construction house and then to his car, but got spooked due to so much traffic and one of the neighbors seeing him (towards the end of the second video).  Then he was very bold and just left his car open and running in the street as he grabbed the last big item right before he left in the last video.  

2013-12-16 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
and my neighbors think I'm nuts having the security cameras! HA! Oh, and we have a large dog too - again not fool proof but certainly a deterant
2013-12-16 7:31 PM
in reply to: wwlani

User image

Bronze member

WOW - that's cool.

We are so naive and trusting we had our kids Christmas presents hiding outside the garage in our garbage can shed, unlocked, for a week. This thread is a wake up call for me for sure!

2013-12-17 3:22 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Social media for the win!!!  They just made an arrest.  I don't know much for details now other than he had TV's in his possession and he's apparently part of a larger ring.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Caught a burglar in the act on Saturday Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Smoke-Free Illinois Act January 2008 Pages: 1 2

Started by pigfinn
Views: 1077 Posts: 38

2007-12-31 11:34 AM crowny2

Bicycle Commuter Act

Started by shrano
Views: 518 Posts: 2

2007-05-01 9:55 AM speedball

ACLU Dropping Lawsuit over Patriot Act

Started by Scout7
Views: 457 Posts: 1

2006-10-31 7:05 AM Scout7

Bike Cmmuters Benefits Act

Started by mnewton
Views: 556 Posts: 2

2006-06-26 8:41 AM autumn

Tri Balancing Act

Started by clflgrl
Views: 942 Posts: 9

2005-04-26 1:07 AM ellismichael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : FlashBang
comments : 1
Feeling confident and cocky, after finally losing some weight, I got off my back side and into triathlon.

date : October 5, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 0
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on the four major parts of the arm stroke in freestyle: Catch, Pull, Finish, & Recovery.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Not really a swim drill, but more of a focus on proper catch and pull technique to engage the lats and not the shoulders.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
The catch-up swim drill will allow you to extend each stroke out to it's fullest before hand entry.
date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.

date : December 4, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on how to properly kick, sculling, the 3/4 catch-up drill, hand entry mechanics and the utility of using fins, buoys, paddles and kick board. PLUS the top pool mistake.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
The three drills we will be focusing on today are a more “advanced” version of catch-up, which help you with distance per stroke AND keep you rotating from side to side (hip rotation).