General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for ideas during the holidays Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-17 12:10 AM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Subject: Looking for ideas during the holidays
I'm currently trying to lose 100 pounds. Have lost 21 pounds thus far. Christmas is coming up and I'm kind of worried during the get togethers/dinners. I'm literally considering making my own food and bringing it to Christmas dinner in a Tupperware and heating it in the microwave.

2013-12-17 8:55 AM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Looking for ideas during the holidays
i think that is fine remember the best thing you can do is no sugars and no grains....
lots of vegetables and read fitness confidential

it changed my nutrition plan!!!!
2013-12-17 11:10 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Holidays are HARD. I totally understand the feeling of wanting to bring your own food.
But I think there's a balance somewhere between eating the way you want, and being polite in someone else's home. Maybe eat a bit of your own food before you head over, so you only eat a bit of food there? 

2013-12-17 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Whatever you do, remember that one night of ginormous effing up is NO excuse to not make good choices the next morning. NO, the entire week isn't shot and you start over next week or after the new year. I find it impossible to not offend my aunt if I abstain from trying each of her 7 desserts, but once I get home, it's game back on.
2013-12-17 2:32 PM

User image

I would say also let your family (or whoever you are dining with know) - see if they would be willing to set aside from healthier stuff for you...let them know your goals etc...huge weight loss goals are a team effort (for lack of a better word) - you need the support of others around you to succeed
2013-12-17 11:32 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

windsor, Ontario
I actually created a facebook group about my weight loss journey, in which my family are all members of. They are very encouraging. I really think at this point I may bring my own food. I'm still at the point where I can't mentally handle a cheat day. It would drive me nuts.

2013-12-18 5:43 AM

User image

if they are encouraging to you, then would it be too much to say volunteer to help them out with planning the menu for dinner - then you could put in some food that you have been eating on your journey and enjoy, that are also christmas appropriate etc...just a thought
2013-12-19 12:03 AM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Originally posted by austhokie

if they are encouraging to you, then would it be too much to say volunteer to help them out with planning the menu for dinner - then you could put in some food that you have been eating on your journey and enjoy, that are also christmas appropriate etc...just a thought

There's literally 40 of us, so I don't want to be a pain in the butt. I have no issues making my own food. Never been a huge turkey and gravy fan anyways.
2013-12-19 5:47 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by GregDufour

I'm currently trying to lose 100 pounds. Have lost 21 pounds thus far. Christmas is coming up and I'm kind of worried during the get togethers/dinners. I'm literally considering making my own food and bringing it to Christmas dinner in a Tupperware and heating it in the microwave.

First of all, awesome job on the drop so far!

As for the holiday meals, I'd say you're okay eating whatever they serve as long as you eat the proper portions. If you've already lost some weight then you know what is good to eat and what you should avoid. And since you have that Facebook group with all your family in there supporting your journey, I can't imagine they would get too upset if you don't have three helpings of stuffing.

Keep up the good work!
2013-12-19 6:29 AM

User image

Originally posted by GregDufour

Originally posted by austhokie

There's literally 40 of us, so I don't want to be a pain in the butt. I have no issues making my own food. Never been a huge turkey and gravy fan anyways.

but if you bring your own food (and my family goes through this with my sister who is a vegetarian) - then there is the perception that their food isn't good enough for you - etc...

ask what you can bring, if anything and tweak it for health reasons; turkey (no gravy - ewww)
2013-12-19 11:08 PM

User image

windsor, Ontario
I spoke to them about this today, and they were all very understanding. My father passed away from a heart attack at age 51, and with me being 31, then realize this is something I have to do. Probably going to make some of my favourite veggie wraps and take them along with a handfull of almonds to snack on.

2013-12-20 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would have a healthy meal at home and fill up on that, go to the gathering and just nibble. And/or take some healthy dishes/snacks to contribute, and eat mainly those. Not on a diet personally but my job requires me to do cocktail parties and other social events sometimes, and I don't like all that unhealthy food plus alcohol (and can't drink anything on an empty stomach) and the way it makes me feel the next day. So I just fill up on something healthy first. Also, drink plenty of water before and during--you'll want to eat less.
2013-12-22 11:56 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Greg - BRING YOUR OWN FOOD

Sorry but those of you who say to have a splurge day or sit at a table full of holiday food and eat in moderation have probably never been fat. If we had that kind of ability we wouldn't be fat either.

Asking others to cook for you etc. is being a pain in the . No one needs to change for you, you just need to take care of yourself. With 40 people there you should be able to heat up food and bring it to the table and no one should notice. Don't know what you want to tell them if they ask.

People who push food on you won't there for you the next day or week, or month when you are dealing with the self loathing and crazy eating (assuming you are like me).

I think bringing your own food makes food and eating less of an issue and preoccupation on a day which should be about other things than your weight.
In-laws are somewhat supportive of vegetarian husband, though they don't know why he can't eat something with meat in it if he can just pick it out. they don't have to get it. He doesn't expect them to - he does what he needs to do, brings good food. Often they will make veggie options and let everyone know at the table which ones are vegetarian. Nice of them, but he still brings his own food so he doesn't have to just eat mashed potatoes and vegetables.

Hope it works out well for you. Congrats on your weightloss and your continued success.

Mitzi
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for ideas during the holidays Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Office overflowing with holiday junk food - temptation everywhere!

Started by Mike_D
Views: 2151 Posts: 8

2010-12-28 9:10 AM ipull400watts

Healthy snack ideas

Started by SunnyS
Views: 775 Posts: 1

2005-09-20 12:40 PM SunnyS

cottage cheese and oatmeal ideas...

Started by cangirl
Views: 1039 Posts: 2

2004-11-28 6:10 PM Stake

Healthy snack ideas for work?

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 2295 Posts: 25

2005-03-09 4:21 PM Renee

Portable breakfast ideas?

Started by madkat
Views: 1396 Posts: 11

2004-10-06 12:19 AM crpadiem
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!
date : December 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
If you are looking for a simple, yet special, gift for your running buddy, teammate, or active friend, enjoy making one of these recipes that will be sure to please any hungry athlete.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.
date : November 23, 2005
author : acbadger
Don’t go without, just watch portion sizes and remember that there is ALWAYS time to get a short workout in…if you make the time!

date : January 30, 2005
author : sekhmet
We can no longer say “I’ll start training next year” or “let me just get through the holidays”- it IS next year and I, for one, am more than through with the holidays.