General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-03-01 8:07 PM
in reply to: TL2

User image

Lousiville
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona 2014 : Official Thread
I'm in. I have IM Louisville 2012 in the books and if the bank account agrees with me, I'll be doing Louisville this year too....then IMAZ. Doing this race with my dad....his first. Very excited. Already started dreaming about the race.

2014-03-02 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Base training now. Training by heart rate levels. This is the first time I've used heart rate. It's a great tool to use to keep from over training. I've had the IMAZ nightmares too. Forgot my wetsuit.....3 flat tires on the bike.....running the marathon in my bike kit, including shoes, because they forgot my transition bag. Dream ends the same way though. My oldest son and my grandson are my catchers. So it works out in the end.
2014-03-06 11:33 AM
in reply to: sksharp

User image

New user

Chicago
Hello my fellow IMAZ competitors! This will be my first IM ever and I couldn't be more excited! Although, I've heard horror stories about the swim portion and many people needing to be pulled out of the water because of hypothermia fears. Can any veterans out there speak to this? I'm a slower than average swimmer and would really hate for this to happen to me.

Jessica
Chicago, IL
IM 70.3 MIami 2013 Finisher
IM 70.3 Racine 2013 Finisher
2014-03-06 7:23 PM
in reply to: Diesel J

User image

Lousiville
I haven't swum this particular race but I've done some open water in similar temps. I would recommend getting a wetsuit and practice swimming in it in open water as often as possible....especially when it begins to get closer to race day and open water temps start to fall. The wetsuit tends to make some people panic because they are so tight fitting.
2014-03-07 9:14 AM
in reply to: thrsfair

User image

New user

Chicago
Originally posted by thrsfair

I haven't swum this particular race but I've done some open water in similar temps. I would recommend getting a wetsuit and practice swimming in it in open water as often as possible....especially when it begins to get closer to race day and open water temps start to fall. The wetsuit tends to make some people panic because they are so tight fitting.

Okay, great. Well, I live in Chicago and all my practice swims are in Lake Michigan which can get pretty cold early and late in the season. I do have a wetsuit and also invested in some booties and a neoprene cap. I've done many long swims in my wetsuit and am thoroughly accustomed to it, so panicking doesn't worry me. It's more the water temps and the possibility of hypothermia that does. Thanks for the advice!

Jessica
Chicago, IL
IM 70.3 Miami 2013 Finisher
IM 70.3 Racine 2013 Finisher
2014-03-17 6:27 PM
in reply to: Diesel J

Parker, Colorado
I was at the swim exit as a volunteer in 2013 and did the race in 2010....didn't hear much about the water temps being so cold as to cause undue amount of "pull outs" as a result of hypothermia.

With training, I think we'll all be fine. Don't let the water temps worry you. The neoprene cap you mentioned will likely be a good investment if you're really intolerant to cold temps...but with that, you should be a-ok. Have confidence!

2014-03-24 9:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hello all. I am active duty military and currently deployed to Afghanistan. I will race Augusta 70.3 and IMAZ this year. I'm really excited to race this venue as my first full 140.6. I've started training but I'm limited due to location, so lots of spin bike and treadmill runs for me. Look forward to getting to know the group and sharing training experiences!

Edited by Meela GA 2014-03-24 9:11 AM
2014-03-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: cullyatt

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
I've done it in a sleeveless wetsuit the last two years no problem. In all actuality you will see a lot more sleeveless suits then the forums will have you believe.

Sure at the end of the day a sleeved suit should be faster but I'm just talking from a comfort standpoint.

I do have a more body fat than most though, so perhaps a skinny person may need booties or neoprene cap but not for me.

It probably depends on where you come from too.

On my way down last year in Northern Arizona I got out to walk the dog, I had on a t-shirt and shorts and thought it was a nice day, then I looked around and everyone else in the area had on pants and hooded sweatshirts with the hoods up and looked cold. It just depends on what you are used to.

I've also heard the water comes out of the foucet about 60 degrees so take a shower with it on cold, or switch it to cold before you get out. That may or may not be true depending where you live, but it was about right for me living in Nebraska that time of year.

I also know of a few local lakes down there you can get in the week prior to the race as well.
2014-03-25 7:12 AM
in reply to: Meela GA

Parker, Colorado
Thank you for your service. May your training be strong, and your environment safe.
2014-04-07 1:42 PM

Parker, Colorado
223 days to race day and counting.....
2014-04-08 4:29 PM

Mont Tremblant
Hello
Can someone tell me what would be a good place to rent a condo (2 bed 2 bath) near Tempe 5-15 min from Ironman village
Thanks
Patrick

2014-05-01 12:36 PM

New user

199 days to go! Is everyone getting ready for some serious training? I'm looking forward to beating my IRONMAN Florida time from last year. I'm about a month out from Ironman 70.3 Boise. I've really noticed how my eating habits have helped my training. I still have a long way to go but I've stopped eating like a 16 year old. Happy training.

2014-05-08 12:51 AM

New user

I'm in! After 6 years away from triathlons this will be first Ironman distance and first endurance race in a long time. Can't wait to get back to the States to kick my training into high gear, currently deployed with very limited ability to train. See you all out on the course and at the finish line!
2014-06-01 6:25 PM
in reply to: azstinger

User image

Lousiville
24 weeks to go! Am I the only one that settled on a plan weeks ago and only NOW start feel the doubt creep in as the time is rapidly approaching to put the peddle to the medal?
2014-06-22 9:06 PM

New user

I'm in and it will be my first IM. Very nervous and excited at the same time. 21 weeks away. Feel like I am way behind.

2014-06-22 9:39 PM
in reply to: pfargnoli

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Originally posted by pfargnoli

Hello
Can someone tell me what would be a good place to rent a condo (2 bed 2 bath) near Tempe 5-15 min from Ironman village
Thanks
Patrick

Try VRBO.com The parking structure at the race site is actually really good so anywhere within 10 miles will do well. Stay south of the river though. The bridges can be tough to cross on race day.

2014-07-29 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
How is everyone's training going so far?

For the people travelling in, has anyone purchased plane tickets yet? I have been keeping my eye out. I missed on a good southwest fare a couple weeks ago. I need to purchase soon while prices are still reasonable.

Also, I remember reading in the forums last year that they were considering changing the bike to a 2 loop from the 3. Has anyone heard any more information?
2014-07-30 9:01 AM

User image

Lousiville
I made my airline reservations about 2 weeks ago. Nothing like ponying up money for non-refundable airfare to kick the training into high gear. I still need to make the arrangements for my bike.
2014-07-30 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Originally posted by TL2

For the people travelling in, has anyone purchased plane tickets yet? I have been keeping my eye out. I missed on a good southwest fare a couple weeks ago. I need to purchase soon while prices are still reasonable.

Also, I remember reading in the forums last year that they were considering changing the bike to a 2 loop from the 3. Has anyone heard any more information?

Funny you should ask that...I just got word from someone who had an actual conversation with someone who works for Ironman who said,

"Did you hear they may be changing the bike course to two loops? The race director is still trying to work it out. It will turn off at a lake (My guess is Saguaro) and go through another town called Mesa"

Now this is someone who works for Ironman and is not familiar with the area. That fact that he had as much detail as to talk about the lake and Mesa tell me that they've had some serious conversations about it.
2014-08-03 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
The web site for IMAZ still shows the 3 loop bike map (as of last week, when I looked). If they change it i hope they tell us soon. I'm thinking about doing my long ride on the bike course so I can get familiar with it.
2014-08-03 8:53 PM
in reply to: sksharp

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.

I'll be there to volunteer for you studs and studettes!! I will most likely be signing up for 2015!

2014-08-04 6:06 PM
in reply to: JasenGuy

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Originally posted by JasenGuy

Originally posted by TL2

Funny you should ask that...I just got word from someone who had an actual conversation with someone who works for Ironman who said,

"Did you hear they may be changing the bike course to two loops? The race director is still trying to work it out. It will turn off at a lake (My guess is Saguaro) and go through another town called Mesa"

Now this is someone who works for Ironman and is not familiar with the area. That fact that he had as much detail as to talk about the lake and Mesa tell me that they've had some serious conversations about it.

Great information thanks. Looking at a map it looks like Saguaro lake would make the 2 loop pretty much exactly 112.
2014-08-28 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
YEs I did a mapmyride route and came out at exactly 112 on my first try without even having to do a small out and back or anything.

I tried to find info doing a google search but couldn't find anything.

I wish the powers that be would let us know soon.

My computer at work didn't give me the total elevation gain on this possible route, but it looks to be significantly more, and if thats' the case, I'd like to know.

Hope this doesn't cause too much uproar, but I've heard it from more than one internet sight of the POSSIBILITY of it.
2014-08-31 5:21 PM
in reply to: cstoulil

User image

Lousiville
I saw something posted on the IM Arizona Facebook page this past week. They announced that the bike course would remain the same. No changes for this year.
2014-09-01 12:44 PM

Parker, Colorado
Starting to get nervous. Anyone else, or is it just me? Feels like my runs are getting SLOWER, not faster. More laborious. Ugh. 11 more weeks or something like that....

Hope all your training is going well.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Dino019
Views: 70090 Posts: 739

2014-05-07 6:04 AM laurajo45

Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by bar92
Views: 117049 Posts: 1744

2012-11-29 5:58 PM jennitris

Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35

Started by velcromom
Views: 75530 Posts: 852

2011-11-26 4:13 PM ouradventure

Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28

Started by ShawnFromNorfolk
Views: 82171 Posts: 688

2010-12-28 6:38 PM TheNoid

Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by evillarroel
Views: 108288 Posts: 1334

2009-11-28 7:52 PM dave699
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.
date : May 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 4
It is my opinion that even though everyone else considered her a triathlete, she did not consider herself one. I think she still felt like she had no fitness direction and had given up on triathlon.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!