BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-05-14 11:29 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by wannabefaster On other fronts, I feel great. Almost too good. Usually at this point, a few days before a race, I feel like garbage. Right now I feel fantastic. Hope it carries through the weekend.

OK Jason......4 races in 3 days. Super sprint friday evening. Olympic Saturday morning and afternoon and HIM on Sunday. I have to know your thoughts on pacing this thing. Do you bust it like a stand alone event for each race and hope you have something left for the last race/races or do you dial it back and treat it like one big race? It's hard not to go "hard" in a race but doing so may leave your tank empty come Saturday afternoon/Sunday. If I were doing it this would be my "plan"....execution would be the key. Super sprint: push pretty hard but not true sprint pacing...maybe more like I would shoot for in an oly. For the 2 olympic races I would probably shoot for just above HIM watts and somewhere between oly and HIM pace for the run. For the HIM I would probably back off power 5% or so from what I would usually shoot for on the bike, start the run at a pace maybe 30 sec/mile slower than usual HIM run pace and then see what I have left at 10 miles in. Still I would worry that may be too aggressive and the accumulated fatigue would catch up with me.  I'm sure all this analysis is making you feel more comfortable.  Another option would be to sandbag the first 3 races and try to blow everyone away in the HIM.

Spill the beans. Inquiring minds want to know! 

HOLY CRAP!

2014-05-14 6:47 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by wannabefaster On other fronts, I feel great. Almost too good. Usually at this point, a few days before a race, I feel like garbage. Right now I feel fantastic. Hope it carries through the weekend.

OK Jason......4 races in 3 days. Super sprint friday evening. Olympic Saturday morning and afternoon and HIM on Sunday. I have to know your thoughts on pacing this thing. Do you bust it like a stand alone event for each race and hope you have something left for the last race/races or do you dial it back and treat it like one big race? It's hard not to go "hard" in a race but doing so may leave your tank empty come Saturday afternoon/Sunday. If I were doing it this would be my "plan"....execution would be the key. Super sprint: push pretty hard but not true sprint pacing...maybe more like I would shoot for in an oly. For the 2 olympic races I would probably shoot for just above HIM watts and somewhere between oly and HIM pace for the run. For the HIM I would probably back off power 5% or so from what I would usually shoot for on the bike, start the run at a pace maybe 30 sec/mile slower than usual HIM run pace and then see what I have left at 10 miles in. Still I would worry that may be too aggressive and the accumulated fatigue would catch up with me.  I'm sure all this analysis is making you feel more comfortable.  Another option would be to sandbag the first 3 races and try to blow everyone away in the HIM.

Spill the beans. Inquiring minds want to know! 

OK. I have learned a lot in the training for this so it will definitely affect how I race. When I signed up for this six months (or more?) ago it sounded like a really cool, crazy weekend. Now it seems kind of scary.

About a month ago I did a 400 TT swim, a 10 minute TT bike and a one mile all out run on a Friday. The swim and the bike, while hard, were OK. The run killed me and my legs were just garbage for the rest of the weekend. With that in mind, on Friday I am planning on going as hard as I can on the swim and bike but backing off to around open 10K pace for the run. I don't want to trash my legs for the whole weekend by 6 PM on Friday.

The Saturday Olympics I will be shooting for HIM paces on the bike and run (my swim pace does not vary too much no matter how long the event). If I can bike at HIM watts and run at HIM pace for the two races I think I will be in good shape. If I don't feel too absolutely destroyed on the second run I may try to pick it up a bit on the run. The second Olympic distance is unique in that it is a bike, swim, run format. Two big things about this. One, do I put on the wetsuit when I am sweaty from the bike? If so, how? If the water is not too cold I would consider going without the wetsuit for this race. Two, I run very poorly right out of the water. Every time I have ever tried to run straight out of hard workout in the pool, it is just a sufferfest. I am hoping that if I can tough it out for a couple miles that blood will redistribute and it will get better.......

Everyone I have ever talked to about this race says that getting up to do the race on Sunday is one of the most horrible feelings ever. I am just going to have to try to fuel and recover after race two on Saturday. Bringing compression tights, foam roller, compression socks, etc.

Sunday, the HIM...... Swim like I swim. Target IM-type watts on the bike. IM pace for the first 6.5 of the run. If I can accelerate to HIM pace and negative split the run I will have done everything right. Not sure if this can be done but that is my goal.

I am nervous. I don't want to screw this up and make it a miserable experience. I want to enjoy the weekend. Most of all, I want to be able to drive the five hours home on Sunday afternoon. I am going alone and have to work on Monday so I have to make sure that there is something left in the tank to stay awake and drive.
2014-05-14 7:26 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-good stuff. Totally understand the importance of keeping the first run in check.....you need some sort of governor like they put on sports cars to keep you from going too fast! I'm sure the adrenaline will be pumping in that first race.  Get some quality protein in after each race. Sounds like you are prepared....don't forget to have fun. Hope you will keep us updated. I often travel several hours after a race and those first few steps out of the car can be tough.  I always feel like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz before they oil him up. I do much better if I do an easy cool down run after races. Maybe a mile or so to shake out the legs. You will have put in alot of miles over the weekend but a little run to flush the legs before getting in the car for the trip home might help.......along with ice cream!

2014-05-14 7:35 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang-looks like they will soon be starting new mentor groups. Jason and I will be doing another group so all are welcome to rejoin us in the new group when it opens. On the other hand, if you want to join another group and meet new folks then that's great. Another alternative is to be a mentor. I like pairing up with Jason as it allows us to help each other out when we get busy and also to provide different experiences we may have.

In the meantime we will continue here. Don't want to miss Jason's experience this weekend......soon to be seen at a theater near you. "Jason's Most Excellent Adventure."!!!!  

2014-05-14 9:08 PM

, Georgia
Planning on joining back up with ya'll over the summer Randy whenever the thread gets added.

I owe an apology to you all, one week off ended up turning into two and a half weeks off the grid without checking in. Between the difficulties of last semester and the realities of life after college next year setting in, my body and brain were basically telling me "I'll tell you when I'm ready; don't even think about doing anything until then." May have not been the best decision, but if it ensures my sanity remains unscathed, taking the time will be worth it; it'll be severely tested if the internship next semester works out.

Anyways, an update and a couple questions. I'll be kicking back off the training (again) tomorrow with a trainer ride. It's gonnna be raining ALL DAY and I got a speed/cadance monitor on Sunday, so I'll be installing it and testing everything out. It'll be useful since I can log a decent guess of miles on the trainer and I "think" I can get a rough guesstimate of power usage as well. Won't be anywhere near accurate on the latter, but I don't have a thousand bucks to spend on a power meter nor would I get one with higher priority items still needing to be picked up *cough*sunglasses*cough*. From what I can see, I'm not entirely sure I can upload a ride to strava containing cadance, time, and mileage without any GPS location data attached to it, but I'll figure it out when I get there.

Now the questions.

1) I initially not able to budget in any tri-shorts over the summer due to expense constraints, but I'm doing some work for my grandparents that'll open up the door a little bit on that end. Does anyone know locations online that I can pick up a couple pairs of decent tri shorts from that are ~$35 a pop? I'll be losing weight over the summer, so I won't be picking up any until around August due to that reason.

2) My brother and I were talking about the sunglasses a couple days ago and he suggested going by lenscrafters and seeing if they would help. I'm sure they can, but are perscription sunglasses a necessity with triathlons? I've been looking around online for sunglasses that work well for both cycling and running (budgets, gotta love them :P), so everything is still on the table at the moment.

An aside: At some point, I'm gonna figure out how to download this thread and archive it into my computer; there is a lot of useful information here that's worth storing!
2014-05-14 9:24 PM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by PhoenixM

Now the questions.

1) I initially not able to budget in any tri-shorts over the summer due to expense constraints, but I'm doing some work for my grandparents that'll open up the door a little bit on that end. Does anyone know locations online that I can pick up a couple pairs of decent tri shorts from that are ~$35 a pop? I'll be losing weight over the summer, so I won't be picking up any until around August due to that reason.

2) My brother and I were talking about the sunglasses a couple days ago and he suggested going by lenscrafters and seeing if they would help. I'm sure they can, but are perscription sunglasses a necessity with triathlons? I've been looking around online for sunglasses that work well for both cycling and running (budgets, gotta love them :P), so everything is still on the table at the moment.

An aside: At some point, I'm gonna figure out how to download this thread and archive it into my computer; there is a lot of useful information here that's worth storing!

Bryan welcome back.

Answer to question 1. For my first couple seasons I raced exclusively in stuff from Sierra Trading Post. Good quality/standard brands on the cheap. If you sign up for their "gearmail" emails you will get an additional 25-35% off coupon almost weekly. Here is a link to the men's triathlon clothing as of tonight:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-triathlon-gear~d~2401/

I didn't look that close but I think there are some shorts in the $35 range and with the coupon they will dip below $30. Sometimes sizes and colors are limited but if you check often you can find some good stuff. I have had hits and misses over the years but overall I have been very satisfied.

Question 2. You do not need sunglasses to race. If you wear your regular glasses for training you can certainly wear them for racing. I seem to be very sensitive to glare and I love a good pair of sunglasses (and I don't have a prescription) so I have several pairs that I have bought on steep discount sales. Until you get deeper in to the sport I would not purchase sunglasses just for racing. However, if you need a pair of prescription sunglasses anyway, then it would be nice to get a pair that you could use for racing and training. I love lenscrafters (the other three folks in my family are all glasses wearers). I think your brother's suggestion is a good one.

2014-05-15 5:02 AM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by PhoenixM

Now the questions.

1. Do you have a Marshall's where you live? It's very hit or miss, but once every few months or so, I'll get a call from my friend who finds the best deals of all time. She'll share that there's a rack of Sugoi tri shorts or cycling jerseys and vests at Marshalls. This past week is was all Pearl Izumi tri shorts, cycling shorts, cycling jerseys as well as some CEP compressions socks. Everything was well under $30. Again, it's really hit or miss, but it's worth a shot.

2. I wear prescription glasses, and need a prescription to drive. When I drive in the car during the daytime, I wear sunglasses. So, I had a pair of sunglasses made that have a bit of a wrap shape to them that I wear on both the bike, the run, while walking my dogs and while driving my car. Lenscrafters is NOT the place to go for a deal. Even when they have a good sale, they're still really, really overpriced. It's the cost of their lenses, not necessarily the frames, that I find to be pricey. If you have a Stanton Optical or something similar nearby, they'll often do buy one, get one deals on glasses which is much, much cheaper. I have crappy vision insurance, so oftentimes I'll use their deal rather than run it through my insurance as it's cheaper. My dilemma is that when it's raining or the sun is starting to set, I dislike cycling or running in my regular glasses. They don't stay wrapped around my face as well, they don't cover as much of my eyes (so I get bugs on the bike) and they're a pain on the run, as the sweat causes them to slide down my nose (my sunglasses have a rubber nose piece).
2014-05-15 12:49 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I hate it when they switch the seasons over on the mentor groups. You get so invested in everyone's happenings, I definitely want to see everyone crush their goals.
2014-05-15 1:18 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

1. Do you have a Marshall's where you live? It's very hit or miss, but once every few months or so, I'll get a call from my friend who finds the best deals of all time. She'll share that there's a rack of Sugoi tri shorts or cycling jerseys and vests at Marshalls. This past week is was all Pearl Izumi tri shorts, cycling shorts, cycling jerseys as well as some CEP compressions socks. Everything was well under $30. Again, it's really hit or miss, but it's worth a shot.

are you freakin kidding me? I'm going there TONIGHT!!!

Pulling for ya Jason!!

I think the hardest part will be the drive home (for you - for me I wouldn't survive past Saturday).
2014-05-15 3:57 PM

, Georgia
Jon: Roll around to the next group and watch it happen. It'll be in the middle of racing season for most of the group. Probably gonna need a graveyard for all the goals that'll get killed over the next three-four months. :P

Jason: Thanks for the tip with Sierra Trading Post. I'll be signing up and keeping an eye on them over the summer.

As for your response with the sunglasses, my only concern about wearing my regular glasses is the possibility of them breaking. It's not a huge concern with running, but it's a BIG concern while riding the bike. I have no insurance nor means to obtain another pair and I have to have my glasses to read anything more than 10 feet away unless it's in a massive font. So I'm not inclined to be lugging my regular glasses around on a bike.

I'm not too concerned with sign reading, but I'd like to have something that can help cut through glare and keep my eyes from having unwanted guests moving in.

Nancy: I'll check into Stanton Optical and Marshalls. I'm pretty sure there's a Marshall's at the mall nearby, but I'm not 100% certain since I'm not inside the mall all that often; REI and Performance Bikes are outside the mall and I do all my other shopping online mostly.

All: Blue SC monitor test went off without a hitch. I had to abandon Strava in favor of the Wahoo fitness app because Strava was having a really hard time understanding I was on a trainer. It cost me power estimates, but everything else went very well. Gonna do an easy jog tomorrow then get out on the road Saturday.

Safe to say I'm really glad to be back in the game.
2014-05-15 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Randee...Ic'm serious! Sadly, they never seem to have my size once I arrive. Friend of mine, though, scores tri stuff all the time.

Also...when you ride (new Adamo saddle) which shorts do you wear? I rode last week in my race kid (Sugoi RS) and didn't like the shorts in my saddle. The seams hit right on the edge of the nose. I now wear the DeSoto 400 mile shorts for training and am trying to find a pair of Desoto Forza shorts for race day. The pad seems wider which covers the width of the saddle's nose and doesn't hit you in an awkward spot and cause discomfort. The rear of the pad is wider, too. They're pricey, but I love them.

2014-05-16 5:48 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Bryan- I would highly recommend checking out trainerroad.com. Seeing how you have the trainer and the speed/cadence sensor the only other piece of hardware you'll need is an ant+ usb stick. They use 'virtual power" as a metric to measure your improvement and to set the difficulty of your workouts. There are a ton of plans you can use and there support is top notch. It's the best $10 per month I've spent in this sport. I believe there is a 30 free trial as well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.