BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-04-07 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Survived another weekend of training. In many ways this was easier than past weekends because it was just my son and me. He is pretty self sufficient so, except for feeding him, I had very little responsibility. Meant I could train at will.

Once again, I struggled to get through the training and missed my goals, especially on the bike. I can't ever remember a time when my legs have been sore like this, even in the deepest depths of IM training. I just can't seem to get ahead of it. Every time I start to feel better another workout is on the schedule and I'm back to screaming quads and calves. It has been interesting to say the least. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this is how I am supposed to feel. I guess it is time to discuss this with someone who gets paid to deal with issues like this, my coach.

Enough of that. We are finally getting some nice weather in Michigan. The deepest snow piles are almost melted away. Running outside no longer requires a down parka. I may get out the cyclocross bike out later this week.

Fun discussion over in TT about "Kona elitism." Great opinions and comments on both sides of the issue.

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-04-07 12:43 PM

2014-04-07 7:55 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master

Thanks for all of the nice notes about the race. The conditions were a lot better race day than what we were expecting going into the race.

This time last year I didn't know if running or completing another triathlon was even a possibility. This race was the result of a lot of hard work, tears and support from family, friends and coach.

My "secret" goal going into the race was to go sub 5:30 with a top 10 finish. Met both goals with a 5:27 finish and 10th in my AG. Also PRed by 25 min from my last HIM which was in 2012. So all and all it was a pretty good day. I'll write up a race report later. Right now I'm still trying to unpack everything before it ferments in the bags.

2014-04-08 1:04 AM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Originally posted by wannabefaster Once again, I struggled to get through the training and missed my goals, especially on the bike. I can't ever remember a time when my legs have been sore like this, even in the deepest depths of IM training. I just can't seem to get ahead of it. Every time I start to feel better another workout is on the schedule and I'm back to screaming quads and calves. It has been interesting to say the least. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this is how I am supposed to feel. I guess it is time to discuss this with someone who gets paid to deal with issues like this, my coach. 
Jason, I'm going through the exact same thing -- again. I figured it was due to my advancing age. But you're still a youngster, so now I'm not so sure. My latest slump started last week after a really strong 12-mile run that was supposed to be an easy/moderate day. I've been stuck in a hole ever since. Hope you find your way out it....

2014-04-08 4:27 AM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Nice job everyone! Randy, Rene and Mary - what can you say? FREAKIN AMAZING!!!

Officially 1 week from today and I'll be free It's 5:24am and I'm up working so I can go to PT before work. Things are finally looking up and the running pain is a LOT less than 2 weeks ago.

Took my new speedy out for a ride on Sunday - weather was beautiful here. If I had to describe it in 1 word: twitchy! OMG I wasn't expecting it but I guess I should have if i thought about it. One lean to the left and WHOOPS there I go! However, on the flats, when I settled in and hit it hard, it makes this wind tunnel sound and feels like a truck bombing down the road that won't stop for nothing! And I dropped my husband like a sack of potatoes HEH!

Ok, back to work.

Have a great day all.
2014-04-08 7:19 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Rene...your finish is clearly a result of your tenacity over the past year. Props to you for succeeding in both of your goals.

Mary...How amazing are you?! Well done on the marathon and your incredible weight loss. That's some committment.

Jason...it looks as though your coach is definitely getting you ready for TTT. The good news is that it's next month...there's got to be a taper in sight!!

Stuart...I am so in awe of you. You've seen some pretty dark places over this past year, and I'm pleased that it's now part of your past. Enjoy what lies ahead of you.

Randee...LOVE your comment about the speed of your new bike. LOLOL. Also, how many Olympic figure skating sitings do you have on a daily basis? Isn't Simsbury where a large majority live and train?

Rain's clearing out for the day. Temps are expected to be in the upper 60s the rest of the week, but sunny. I've GOT to finish getting this house in order for our house guests arriving either late tonight or tomorrow. Note to anyone visiting my house: I have 3 dogs. That means I have dog hair. They've lived here for 9 years. They call it FURniture for a reason.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-04-08 7:28 AM
2014-04-08 10:05 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Randee...LOVE your comment about the speed of your new bike. LOLOL. Also, how many Olympic figure skating sitings do you have on a daily basis? Isn't Simsbury where a large majority live and train?

When they first built the INTERNATIONAL SKATING CENTER OF CT (lol) yep a few of the big names moved here and trained here. Really I'm not sure if anyone famous is here anymore.

TO ME it was a big flop - get Oksana Baiul here by building it and then she goes off and gets herself a DUI. NICE!! According to Wiki no one famous has trained here since 2005. **shrug**

2014-04-08 11:28 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

I'm not sure what's come over me! It has to be that it's spring break...

Went out to run my planned 4 miles. Got to 4 and brain said, "Why not 4.5?" So, ran another 1/2 mile, and brain said, "Make it an even 5 miles." Got to 5 miles and I realized I was less than a mile back to the car, so kept on going. Planned for 4, actually ran 5.57.

In addition, I am a 10:30-10:45 minute/mile runner. Today, I ran hilly mile one in 10:48 and it only got better from there: 10:15, 9:51, 9:58, 9:38 and 9:49 for my final 1/2 mile. The last 1 1/2 miles were a steady uphill incline as well. If only I could do every run at 10:00 a.m. after sleeping in and having a leisurely cup of coffee.
2014-04-08 1:24 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

I'm not sure what's come over me! It has to be that it's spring break...

Went out to run my planned 4 miles. Got to 4 and brain said, "Why not 4.5?" So, ran another 1/2 mile, and brain said, "Make it an even 5 miles." Got to 5 miles and I realized I was less than a mile back to the car, so kept on going. Planned for 4, actually ran 5.57.

In addition, I am a 10:30-10:45 minute/mile runner. Today, I ran hilly mile one in 10:48 and it only got better from there: 10:15, 9:51, 9:58, 9:38 and 9:49 for my final 1/2 mile. The last 1 1/2 miles were a steady uphill incline as well. If only I could do every run at 10:00 a.m. after sleeping in and having a leisurely cup of coffee.

Breakthrough!

Awesome. Amazing when you have a run like that.

Time to build on it and develop that faster runner living inside you
2014-04-08 1:32 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
A little look in to my overnight last night.

Got called in to work last night at 9:15 to relieve one of my partners in a case that had been going on since about 2 PM. This patient was having a giant operation and was not doing well.

The long and the short of it is this: Worked on her until almost 4 AM. Thought on multiple occasions that she was going to die but we didn't give up and kept going. By the end of the case, she was somewhat, moderately, a little bit stable. This is one of those cases where the anesthesia care is as important as the surgical procedure, so I worked hard. When I dropped her off at the ICU she was actually doing OK.

Cases like that are physically exhausting but also mentally draining. You live with the possibiltiy of the death of another human being while under your care. Really stressful but really gratifying when things turn out OK (well, OK so far. She isn't out of the woods by a long shot but she IS alive).

Anyways. Wanted to share. I don't think I am going to train today. I have been whining about my legs for days and I am even more exhausted now so it seems like the perfect excuse to take the day off......

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-04-08 1:34 PM
2014-04-08 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Rene awesome to hit those goals. No need to keep them secret. So what’s next?

Randee nothing like a new ride to get the blood pumping but I think the engine had a lot to do with it too.

Jason I can’t imagine the metal toll a night like last night must take on you. But I am glad someone like you was there for her. Her family and friends have other things to think about today but trust me when I tell you; they appreciate greatly what you did.
2014-04-08 2:52 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster A little look in to my overnight last night. Got called in to work last night at 9:15 to relieve one of my partners in a case that had been going on since about 2 PM. This patient was having a giant operation and was not doing well. The long and the short of it is this: Worked on her until almost 4 AM. Thought on multiple occasions that she was going to die but we didn't give up and kept going. By the end of the case, she was somewhat, moderately, a little bit stable. This is one of those cases where the anesthesia care is as important as the surgical procedure, so I worked hard. When I dropped her off at the ICU she was actually doing OK. Cases like that are physically exhausting but also mentally draining. You live with the possibiltiy of the death of another human being while under your care. Really stressful but really gratifying when things turn out OK (well, OK so far. She isn't out of the woods by a long shot but she IS alive). Anyways. Wanted to share. I don't think I am going to train today. I have been whining about my legs for days and I am even more exhausted now so it seems like the perfect excuse to take the day off......

You are hereby granted a guilt free rest day by the group! Rest and enjoy the remainder of the day!

2014-04-08 3:54 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

A little look in to my overnight last night.

Got called in to work last night at 9:15 to relieve one of my partners in a case that had been going on since about 2 PM. This patient was having a giant operation and was not doing well.

The long and the short of it is this: Worked on her until almost 4 AM. Thought on multiple occasions that she was going to die but we didn't give up and kept going. By the end of the case, she was somewhat, moderately, a little bit stable. This is one of those cases where the anesthesia care is as important as the surgical procedure, so I worked hard. When I dropped her off at the ICU she was actually doing OK.

Cases like that are physically exhausting but also mentally draining. You live with the possibiltiy of the death of another human being while under your care. Really stressful but really gratifying when things turn out OK (well, OK so far. She isn't out of the woods by a long shot but she IS alive).

Anyways. Wanted to share. I don't think I am going to train today. I have been whining about my legs for days and I am even more exhausted now so it seems like the perfect excuse to take the day off......

Thanks for helping keep people alive
2014-04-08 5:12 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey guys, sorry I was quiet over the weekend, but it sure was busy! I got in a long run Sunday, then had to drive back here to SC, got a couple hours of sleep, then had to head into work! Congrats to last weekend's racers! I was able to check in on the results, and we're kicking butt here early in the season!

I'm getting ready to do a bike workout, nothing too stressful, as I have a HM this weekend. It should be fun: the GF is flying in to do the same race, and my 2 sisters are racing, as well!
2014-04-08 6:24 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hey all-

Back from spring break travels with my youngest and catching up, on lots of things..

Mary – Congrats on a great race and hitting the personal goal! That is a fantastic race and pretty cool personal journey from the looks of it as well. Very inspiring and applicable to an internal personal battle I am waging right now as well, but that’s a whole other post.

Rene – Outstanding! I am very impressed and cannot wait to hear the race report.

I am humbled to be part of such a great group. There have been some really impressive results on so many fronts already in this early season. Not just time/AG result wise but achieving personal satisfaction with reaping the rewards of planned and purposeful work. This thought is very important to me right now as I try to define where I am at and what I am trying to accomplish. I do have some more detailed thoughts to put together on that later that I will post up with a couple underlying questions for the group.

Got back on the bike tonight after nearly a week away and what TOWKA would affectionately call my multi-day pity party…
2014-04-08 6:25 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I was going to take the day off today after hard rides the past two day but my schedule cleared this afternoon. So I headed out for an easy ride, just 12 miles at 14-15 mph in 91 degree heat. I always prefer active recovery but when I am really only biking right now I wasn't sure about today given the heat. Honestly I feel great, better today than I have in a long time. I don't know about anyone else but an active recovery day for me is 100 times better than a day off when I do nothing.

2014-04-08 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Randy: Congratulations on a great race! Glad the weather cooperated.

Rene: You are amazing! Awesome race!

Stuart: Way to push forward. I'm glad to hear you have some riding partners. Onward and upward!

Mary: Woo hoo! That is a super marathon time! Way to go, and look at how far you've come. The transformation is inspiring. Keep it up!

Nancy: Thank you so much for sharing. Sometimes when we think we're not moving forward, all we need to do is look back at where we started!

Jason: I'm so relieved everything turned out okay with your patient. I can imagine a lot of the stress gets worked out in your killer training sessions, but I'm sure it can weigh heavy at times. Thank you for what you do!

Taper, taper! So, husband and I weren't sure we'd be able to drive ourselves home after the marathon, so we've booked a room for the weekend. The kids will stay at my parents' home the night before, then get brought over when we're done. It will be very nice to sip bevvies in the pool and watch the kids play after the race, that's for sure.

I think my husband's going to have a GREAT race. I'm excited for him!

Edited by Blanda 2014-04-08 6:52 PM

2014-04-08 8:09 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

New user
Thanks for all of the nice comments, it has been a Great year of personal improvements. I appreciate this group very much.

Blanda I am so glad you are staying over after your marathon. That was mentally very comforting to me to know I could spend the afternoon and evening relaxing.

Jason I am a former OR nurse and have shared your experience but of course I did not have the responsibility you have in the role I played. I am so glad you have this triathlon outlet for your stress and fatigue to channel into.

Nancy-sweet run! That is wonderful, I bet you felt like you were floating a bit!

Did an easy 5 mile run this afternoon. Ok I have been waiting a YEAR to say that!!!,! . Last year I kept reading posts about easy 5 milers, easy 6 milers etc etc etc. I thought the posters were just odd (sort of kidding) and now I Get It!!!,!! Too awesome...........
2014-04-08 11:31 PM
in reply to: slornow

, Georgia
Apparently bombing quizzes and getting angry about it does wonders for PRs. I've done sub-15 minute miles before, but today was the first day in my life I did a mile in under 14 minutes...13:37 to be exact. I still remember sophomore year of high school where the teacher capped us at 15 minutes and I barely squeezed in at 14:26. It's possible I screamed at the end of it. It was matched in 2012 during my PE class, but I never got it any lower till today.

By the way, no screaming today (I'll save it for the sub-8 minute mile), but the results are very encouraging to see. Starting the mile post injury at 17:24 and clocked in today at 13:37. 2 mile had it's own sub-30 record as well: 28:57, down from 35:10.

Also wanted to get some input. After the many runs I've had in my apartments parking lot, I've noticed that a huge chunk of the road has a horizontal grade . As a result, one foot was always higher than the other and I'll bet you money that's how my PF got injured a few months back. I stuck completely to the concrete sidewalk in this run where it was flat and, well, the results speak for themselves.

However, I recognize that concrete sidewalks are neither good for your feet or realistic (who runs 5ks and the run portion of triathlons on sidewalks anyway?) What's bugging me though is that there's still a bit of soreness when on the road, but it has always been on my right leg; the left leg has yet to complain beyond the typical running pains. That throws out road based issues in all likelihood. This has been bugging me consistently, and I have pondered the possibility that it might be a leg length discrepancy. However, I'm no medical expert so I can't really say what it could be. To complicate matters, I don't have health insurance right now, so seeing a doctor without burning a hole in my wallet is out of the question. Does anyone have some thoughts about this that could lead me in a particular direction; I'm completely lost right now.

Lastly, I realized after the fact that this quiz makes up 4.75% of my grade; at least I don't feel bad about "wasting energy" :P

Trainer ride Wednesday and then off to take the first of two exams. Already wrote a paper this week and edited two others in the last 48 hours. Maybe writing proofs for an hour would be a nice segway? (not!) :P

Happy training ya'll. Spring is DEFINITELY here in Georgia. While I hate pollen and bees, I'm loving the weather.
2014-04-09 6:53 AM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Bryan.

I don't know why you have soreness on one leg and not the other. Hard to diagnose over the internet.

As far as running on concrete. There have been some spectacular internet discussions about running on concrete versus asphalt. I am of the opinion that as far as hardness goes, your feet and you body cannot perceive the difference while in running shoes. If you switch to grass or dirt, that is a whole different ball game but asphalt and concrete are the same. When you talk about crowns/angles on the road, I do believe that can, over time, cause injury or discomfort. I actively search out places to run that don't have me running many miles at a small, yet significant, angle.

Congratulations on your increased pace. Keep up the good work. I suspect it has much more to do with your improving fitness than what surface you are running on.
2014-04-09 6:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Bryan.

I don't know why you have soreness on one leg and not the other. Hard to diagnose over the internet.

As far as running on concrete. There have been some spectacular internet discussions about running on concrete versus asphalt. I am of the opinion that as far as hardness goes, your feet and you body cannot perceive the difference while in running shoes. If you switch to grass or dirt, that is a whole different ball game but asphalt and concrete are the same. When you talk about crowns/angles on the road, I do believe that can, over time, cause injury or discomfort. I actively search out places to run that don't have me running many miles at a small, yet significant, angle.

Congratulations on your increased pace. Keep up the good work. I suspect it has much more to do with your improving fitness than what surface you are running on.

I agree with Jason. I don't think there is that much difference in running surfaces, as long as you aren't barefoot. However, I do think that consistently running on the same surface with the same surface angle can cause some problems with overuse. I don't have any scientific evidence to back that up, just things I've noticed while running. And another congrats on your pace increase-nothing feels better than progress!
2014-04-09 7:01 AM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Brian,

While I don't have any thoughts about what your pain may be, I can simply share that I find my left leg issues to possibly have been 'accelerated' from running on the left berm of many, many paved roads in the area. As you've shared, roads and parking lots are always sloped to accomodate rain run off. When running on the side of a road, you're always putting yourself in an area where your left side is lower than the right.

Once my P.T. got me straightened out, I made it a point to change up the side of the road I run on. If it's a busy road, I stay where I am and where I'm supposed to be, but if I'm in my neighborhood, I'll change sides quite frequently. I also run on our local greeneway (local cycling/running/walking trail) and will run smack dab down the middle. You might also see if there are any non-paved trails nearby. We're lucky that we have a running/biking trail that runs 7 miles along the old Augusta Canal. It's as wide as a driveway, but is completely packed clay. I'd like to run more on it, but it gives me the heeby jeebies sometimes, so I won't run it alone. Plus, the parking lot area ALWAYS sees crime (people leaving stuff in their car and people breaking in to steal said stuff left in plain view in the car).

I've been having some 'chats' with a local coach regarding my goals for this year and next, and while I haven't bitten the bullet to have him coach me, IF I sign up for IMChatt or IMLou next year, he's on my very short list of coaches. I think if I committed to a full, I really would benefit from having a coach's experience, but also from the accountability aspect of it all. I'm also still having some bike fit issues that my LBS can't seem to resolve, so he's suggested I see someone in Atlanta that specializes more in tri bike fittings. I'm trying to get that scheduled for this week if it's humanly possible since I'm on vacation until Tuesday.

I've got a short trail run planned with friends at 4:00 this afternoon...am going to either ride 30 this morning (depending on if I can get my fitting scheduled for later this week--if I can, I won't ride today as I don't want to go into the fitting sore and swollen) or go swim for an hour.

2014-04-09 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Man I've missed warm weather. Just being able to play outside with my son after work and not worrying about having him in 3 layers of clothing is great. It's also nice to be able to go out for a run without all my cold weather gear.

There's a dualathlon on May 4th that is pretty close to my house that I think I'm going to enter. 5K, 13 mile bike, 1.5 mile trail run. My first tri isn't until June and I need something a little closer to get my competitive juices flowing. I also kind of want to see what limits I can push myself to, maybe something that I wouldn't necessarily do in a triathlon where I'm more worried about final results and such. I'm thinking 1:15-1:20 for a finish, anything under 1:20 would be great really.
2014-04-09 6:22 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

New user
New Hampshire
1st track workout with running club today, I officially declare winter over. 12x400m hurt so good.

There has been a lot of discussion about nutrition so I thought I would post this link to some pretty good videos produced by the Ceo of Infinit Nutrition. Pretty much falls in line with the excellent posts that Jason made, as well as, addressing some hydration issues. The links are on the right side of the page.
http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=7778957feed826a3347b1ac35&id=26...
2014-04-10 6:43 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Edit: Cliff Notes at bottom!!

Ok everyone-

So I know this won’t come as a very big surprise to anyone but this could be a bit (read; very) TLDR. I suppose it’s mostly cathartic in working through it for me but we have such a diverse group, covering a wide array of athletic skills and accomplishments as well as different life journeys that have led us all here. It is for that reason that I value so highly the opinions I receive here.

So, about a week ago TOWKA tells me we need to talk about where I am going and what my goals are related to triathlon. Understand this does not come totally out of the blue, as it may appear, since TOWKA has seen me at the height of competitive ability, conditioning, training, and well…absolute mental retardation regarding athletic ventures and competition. Yes, it’s true. I was an absolute, complete head case when it came to my personal ability, training, performing and competing in running at a pretty high level over 20 years ago. No, really. I don’t usually go more than a month without getting a communication from someone that I trained or competed with that usually goes like this, “…Hey, remember that time…(insert stupid performance and/or workout decision that related to me personally sabotaging a race, a training block, a taper, a season, or my entire running career)…that was (pick one: crazy, hilarious, stupid, unbelievable, painful to watch, etc…).” Apparently there were enough warning signs of similar behaviors to warrant a conversation from TOWKA.

The gist of the conversation was this, “You need to decide and communicate to me/us (the family) what you want to do and why. If you want to get in shape, have fun, compete in some races, and enjoy yourself, great. If you want to work really hard and try to regain some level of fitness to actually compete at an age group level because that is what you want to do right now, great. If, on the other hand, you are going to do something half way in between the two and then complain when it’s not fun and/or you’re not as competitive as you want to be or if you are trying to prove something from 20 plus years ago…not great at all.”

Hmmm…well there ya go then. Tell me what you really think.

At the end of the day though I totally understand what she is saying, she watched me sabotage myself in some very creative ways over a period of a couple years. That is partially what caused my quick and unceremonious decline from a pretty competitive athlete to 5’7”, 230 lb. beer drinking softball and hockey guy that liked to pretend he was actually an athlete. My problem is I don’t know if I can do something like this “just for fun”. I’m not sure I know what that feels like. I have a competitive nature that just doesn’t work that way. On the other hand, I don’t know that I have the physical capacity as a 43 year old accountant, after 20 years of not training or competing, following 2 knee surgeries, and reaching nearly 100 pounds overweight to get back to any level of competition that I would be happy with.

Thus, my training malaise and personal philosophy dilemma over the last week or two trying to figure out what this all looks like and where I can and am willing to take it. The fact is I do enjoy training, even at the ridiculously reduced paces I am stuck with right now. However, I sure do take any opportunity to run anything that even resembles an interval of any type or get an increase in intensity wherever I can. I also look at race reports, race results, and age group times thinking to myself, “Hmm…I can get there.” Then I step out the door and run 5 miles at 10 minute mile pace and think, “Who are you kidding?”

So that leads to my actual question to the group, actually there are two:

First, I am really curious to hear everyone’s personal motivation for doing triathlon. I know we have a wide range of skills and experience in the sport, from AG leaders to complete rookies and I would love to talk about what motivates each of us to get started in the sport to begin with and then also to get out the door each day for a workout. Is it the fact that the workout is necessary to be competitive at the AG? Is it that the workout itself is the enjoyable part? Is it some other type of personal goal? Whatever…

Second, for those with a competitive background, how do you personally reconcile a changed perception of results from a competitive standpoint? Is it just an ongoing competition against yourself, or the age group, or improvement as a whole? I know there are some people, TOWKA is a great example, that can just run a race for fun. I never understood that, it’s a “race”. On the other hand this was one of my great downfalls in competition as I really never believed there was anyone, anywhere that was faster than me. I truly believed that and would go out my way to prove it in the most ridiculous ways since it could be so easily disproved on the track. It did lead to some pretty interesting, and sometimes funny in hindsight, racing and training events.

Ughh…that was long even for me! I’ll cliff note it below.

Cliff Notes:

Whaaa, whaaa, whaaa…I was fast once, but stupid and young. Whaaa, whaaa, whaaa…Not so fast now and may not ever be again. Blah, blah, blah…don’t want to alienate family and need to figure out whether this all just for fun or what.

Question 1: What motivates others in the group and what do you enjoy about triathlon.
Question 2: How do you reconcile competitive nature with showing up at a race and having hundreds of people outperform you if you had a competitive background in anything?

Edited by 43YORook 2014-04-10 6:47 AM
2014-04-10 7:22 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Chris - Be thankful your wife is so vocal with you. I think a lot of spouses (husband or wife) would probably ignore some of the warning signs she is seeing and just let you self destruct and once that was done just assume that phase and over and now things will go back to "normal".

Growing up (kid through college) I hated losing. Absolutely despised it. Even as a kid it would tear me apart. I was probably a sore loser, I don't really remember that extent of it, but I always remember putting it all out there every single time and I'd leave every baseball/basketball game dirty or bloody or both and if others weren't doing the same I felt ashamed. Fast forward 15-20 years and I feel like I've grown and getting into triathlon was a big part of that because I can't just will myself past everyone on the course like I could with a fastball or on the court. Triathlon humbled me intensely and taught me how to lose and how to compete against myself instead of just against others. I realized a goal isn't simply winning a race because quite honestly that's not possible in 99% of the cases for anyone out there. My goals are to train to keep a consistent training flow which can set me up for constant improvement at every race in some way or another. Sure I have time goals and finish goals but looking back every week/month/year and seeing the paces drop and the mileage go up is a pretty satisfy goal in my mind.

It's sappy, and maybe it takes typing it out and re-reading it to fully realize, but it's not all about winning anymore. You can still compete and get everything out of the basement and leave it all on the course (whatever mantra works for you) and not win the race but still get satisfaction out of it. It's not win or go home anymore, and that's a good thing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.