BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-04-10 7:26 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Ok, I'll jump in and tackle this:

1. What motivates me: I think this is a question that has to have a lot of answers. I doubt people stick with triathlons season after season for just one reason. Here is my easy summary: this is the best version of me. I look my best, act my best, and generally feel good about myself. Triathlon training is how I structure my day, my week, my months and my year. It's not the only factor, of course, but it's always a factor. It's a reason to watch less TV and go outside. You meet like-minded people who also enjoy your sport/hobby. Also, for me it's a chance to push myself. I always tell people that one of the main reasons I do this is because a lot of people wonder, "What could I do if I really put my mind to it?" Well, I can answer that question, which is cool.

2. I'm not by nature a very competitive person, with others. Would I like to win every race? Sure. Do I expect to? Nope. No matter how good you are, someone out there can train less, eat more, and still kick your . I'd kill to be as fast and Randy and Jason, at which point someone out there would still be faster than me. I always try to remember that your main competition is really against yourself. For instance, in my last race I managed to get 3rd in my AG. However, I wasn't even at the podium ceremony because I saw my time when I finished and figured there was no way I would podium. My point being: you only race against whatever field is there that day, but you can always race against yourself because you're there everyday. I'm happy with my AG podium for that race, but looking at previous years' results, I would barely have made the Top 5. My main competition is always a goal or time that I've set for myself. That being said, of course it feels good to pass people. But I don't need you to lose for me to feel like I won, if that makes any sense. Again, unless you're Chrissie Wellington, someone out there can always kick your butt.

I wrote a blog post about this exact question last year and gave a longer answer, if you want to check it out: http://runoften.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/why-triathlon/

I hope this helps! I can't relate to having been an elite athlete. I was always the guy who enjoyed being active, but never worked out.

2014-04-10 8:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jamie.

Great post. That sums up a lot of what I feel about training and racing.

I really like your "best version of me" description. Triathlon makes it so I can still fit in to my pants from high school (25 years ago now) so it helps maintain the best version of me. I think that my wife likes the end product even if she occasionally gets tired of all the work to get there.

The thoughts about racing against yourself are great too. No matter how hard you work and how fast you get there will be someone out there that will blow your doors off. I have discussed in the past about getting to the top 5% of my AG. I am pretty consistently there and it is really cool but I always want to keep improving. I want to get to the top 1% but the difference between 5% and 1% at the big races is a country mile. I'm not even close. I have suspicions that I will never quite make it there unless I keep doing this in to my 60s with out major injury...... But I know that if I don't keep working toward my goal that I definitely won't make it

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-04-10 8:08 AM
2014-04-10 8:30 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by 43YORook

The gist of the conversation was this, “You need to decide and communicate to me/us (the family) what you want to do and why. If you want to get in shape, have fun, compete in some races, and enjoy yourself, great. If you want to work really hard and try to regain some level of fitness to actually compete at an age group level because that is what you want to do right now, great. If, on the other hand, you are going to do something half way in between the two and then complain when it’s not fun and/or you’re not as competitive as you want to be or if you are trying to prove something from 20 plus years ago…not great at all.”

Hmmm…well there ya go then. Tell me what you really think.

At the end of the day though I totally understand what she is saying, she watched me sabotage myself in some very creative ways over a period of a couple years. That is partially what caused my quick and unceremonious decline from a pretty competitive athlete to 5’7”, 230 lb. beer drinking softball and hockey guy that liked to pretend he was actually an athlete. My problem is I don’t know if I can do something like this “just for fun”. I’m not sure I know what that feels like. I have a competitive nature that just doesn’t work that way. On the other hand, I don’t know that I have the physical capacity as a 43 year old accountant, after 20 years of not training or competing, following 2 knee surgeries, and reaching nearly 100 pounds overweight to get back to any level of competition that I would be happy with.

Thus, my training malaise and personal philosophy dilemma over the last week or two trying to figure out what this all looks like and where I can and am willing to take it. The fact is I do enjoy training, even at the ridiculously reduced paces I am stuck with right now. However, I sure do take any opportunity to run anything that even resembles an interval of any type or get an increase in intensity wherever I can. I also look at race reports, race results, and age group times thinking to myself, “Hmm…I can get there.” Then I step out the door and run 5 miles at 10 minute mile pace and think, “Who are you kidding?”

So that leads to my actual question to the group, actually there are two:

First, I am really curious to hear everyone’s personal motivation for doing triathlon. I know we have a wide range of skills and experience in the sport, from AG leaders to complete rookies and I would love to talk about what motivates each of us to get started in the sport to begin with and then also to get out the door each day for a workout. Is it the fact that the workout is necessary to be competitive at the AG? Is it that the workout itself is the enjoyable part? Is it some other type of personal goal? Whatever…

Second, for those with a competitive background, how do you personally reconcile a changed perception of results from a competitive standpoint? Is it just an ongoing competition against yourself, or the age group, or improvement as a whole? I know there are some people, TOWKA is a great example, that can just run a race for fun. I never understood that, it’s a “race”. On the other hand this was one of my great downfalls in competition as I really never believed there was anyone, anywhere that was faster than me. I truly believed that and would go out my way to prove it in the most ridiculous ways since it could be so easily disproved on the track. It did lead to some pretty interesting, and sometimes funny in hindsight, racing and training events.

Question 1: What motivates others in the group and what do you enjoy about triathlon.
Question 2: How do you reconcile competitive nature with showing up at a race and having hundreds of people outperform you if you had a competitive background in anything?

A couple more thoughts.

I totally get where you are coming from. I am innately competitive as Hades. I have tried to go to a race and just enjoy it, not race, not push, just do the race for pleasure. But what I realize is that doing it that was is NOT pleasurable for me. I can't not push myself. With that being said, I am at pretty much 100% of the events I do, not the fastest guy out there. In fact the fastest guy is so far off on the horizon that most times I can't even see him. Triathlon is so outside of my comfort zone that I don't expect to be the fastest guy. When I started this whole thing I could barely swim so I just wanted to be the guy who didn't die in the swim. I can run ok and everyone can ride a bike....... but holy cow is it hard to ride a bike competitively. In some ways, doing triathlon takes some of the performance pressure off. I recognize that in the end, I'm just not all that. Getting better. Light years better than when I started but it has been a process and a journey.

The other thing is that I love to work out and be fit. I was exercising a lot before getting in to triathlon but triathlon gives me a focus and goal for my exercise. It lets me train instead of just kicking around in the gym. And as Jamie said, the triathlon version of me is the best version yet of the adult me. Even if I gave up racing I would still swim, run (and bike a little....) but the races give me a real, time-limited goal and get me out the door when I'm just not feeling it.

Rambling now. I guess I just like training for and competing in triathlons.
2014-04-10 9:02 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I'm going to chime in as a relatively newbie to triathlon (my 2nd season).

I rode 3-day event horses competitively growing up. I had talent, I had commitment, I had a nice horse. What I didn't have was the funding to take advantage of those three things. I couldn't afford a good coach that could help push me to the point that I was a winner...until I became an adult, got a job, and finally could budget a coach into it all. I would travel 6 hours round trip to train with him...he was that good. And he helped channel my raw talent and commitment into a winning combination year after year. I was on the USET's (U.S. Equestrian Team) list of 'developmental riders' for a few years, and I saw Olympic rings if things kept going my way. Then, at the ripe old age of 28, I realized, "What about the rest of my life?" All of my friends were horse friends. My weekends were consumed by training or competition. I wanted to buy a house, own a new car, go out on dates for heaven's sake. I pulled the plug, sold the horse, bought a house, and had a life. Horses had completely consumed my life.

So, to answer question #1...What motivates me to do triathlon? I love training with a goal. The reason why I no longer ride horses (other than it's horrifyingly expensive--The cost of a top end tri bike pales in comparison) is that I can't just go ride a horse for fun. There's got to be a competitive goal. The same is true of triathlon for me. While I'm not fast, I'm not even a MOPer, I love checking off those workouts on the calendar, looking at my volume here on BT, seeing where I'm making progress and then 'testing' it in a race. I'm certainly not there to stand on a podium (though as a Novice, I stood on them last year), I'm there to see how my training has helped me progress. I love seeing that I'm getting BETTER at something even it's not always evident along the way. That said, I've found a pretty happy balance between triathlon and life. It's easy to get sucked in and allow it to take over your life. Finding a balance is tricky, but that balance has its payoffs. An understanding partner helps, too.

2. How do I keep showing up knowing that I'm going to get beat? First, I've met some amazing friends who also do triathlon. They run the gamut of Kona qualifiers to those who finish last. Regardless, EVERYONE in my tri club is amazingly supportive, and on race day, they're standing there at the finish even if they finished 30 minutes ahead of me. In fact, one of my tri friends raced IMLOU last year, qualified for Kona, received her age group prize, went to her hotel, and then was back at the finish at 11:00 p.m. to watch another person in our Tri Club finish. She'd been off that course for hours and hours, and probably wanted to be in bed, but she didn't. That's how awesome the people I train with are.

Second, I AM a competitive person by nature, and it's hard coming from a sport where you were at the top a lot, to not even be average. However, I've learned to channel my competitive nature. I set goals that are for me, and me only, and allow my desire to 'win' to help me meet those goals. Does that mean I lollygag at races? Absolutely not...it's not in me to do so, but I'm realistic with my abilities at this point in time; however, as time progresses, my goals will change. I can continue pushing myself to be better without beating myself up that "I suck."

Some of you know that my husband is a professional golf caddie on the Web.Com tour. Several years ago he caddied for an Englishman who, as a junior golfer in England, was #1. He'd won everything that a junior could win. He's worked with David Leadbetter since he was 14, and he was, without a doubt, one of the most talented golfers my husband had ever laid eyes on. He had length off the tee, great iron play, and an absolutely AMAZING short game. His problem, though, was that when things didn't go his way, he would self destruct mentally, and couldn't bounce back. When my husband last saw him, he was sobbing in a hotel room after missing his 4th cut in 4 weeks saying that his life was meaningless. He truly defined his life's purpose as a golfer, and if he didn't succeed as a professional, he didn't see himself as a valuable person. That's sad...and that's a place that no one should ever be.

I allowed my competitiveness in the equestrian world define me as a person. Triathlon is challenging, great fun, and allows me to compete against a clock. There's no subjectivity to it...it's pretty cut and dried. When I get home, though, while I am a triathlete, I'm also a wife, a dog mom, a teacher, and all kinds of other things. Triathlon consumes a large amount of my time, yes, but it doesn't determine who I am.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-04-10 1:13 PM
2014-04-10 9:49 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Chris-Wow, alot to think about.

1. I think it is tough to define what you want out of the sport in the beginning. Primarily because there are 3 different sports that are a part of triathlon. Few, if any, people get into the sport with a significant background in all three. So for most of us the initial question is: Can we be become competent enough at a sport to combine it with what we are already capable of doing to actually complete a triathlon? For me the question was swimming. Sure I could swim but I quickly realized that bobbing around in a pool or swimming from the boat to a pier was alot different than swimming somewhere with purpose.....much less avoiding drowning while doing it.

It is hard to go into the sport with the mindset of being competitive from the beginning. The initial competition is with yourself. Completing that first race....and trust me it is not easy. Five years ago I saw an article in a magazine about "Completing your first Triathlon" or something like that and figured hey I'll give it a shot. We have a local race close to the house. I know how to run, swim and I can ride a bike....how hard can it be   The dynamic of combining swim, bike and run is pretty daunting and the physical demands are so different than doing any of them individually.  Don't set time or placement goals the first year. Learn to enjoy the sport and the training. After a season of training/racing you will be in a better position to evaluate what you want out of the sport down the road. 

I mentioned in a post awhile back that there seems to be a tipping point where after 2-3 seasons/years of doing triathlon you see some big gains. Not to say that there are not gains before that as there are. But, it takes time to become profficient at swimming, biking and running individually and then in combination. The more you race the more comfortable you are with racing. I still get nervous before every race but am more comfortable with what is happening during a race now as compared to 3-4 years ago.

I was not "all in" my first season like I am now. It was new, I was making progress and I enjoyed it. My wife probably would have said I was hooked before I ever realized it. I tend to go through stages of obsession, for lack of a better word, with my hobbies. Since we have been married I have been deep into golf, tennis, motorcycling, soccer coaching and now triathlon. Each of these have lasted several years and then I get interested in something else and totally shift gears. Has not happened with triathlon and I don't suspect I will leave the sport unless injury dictates otherwise.    

2. Why do we do it?

I have had a stressful few months at work lately. Not terrible as compared to what some people deal with but more than usual. It can cause me to be short with people and lose my patience easily. I don't like being that way. If I did not exercise and push myself in my workouts that would be me all the time. I'm a different person before I exercise than after. It is good for me both mentally and physically. Not sure my wife would want me around if I brought home all my work stress each night.  She know's I will be happier after a stint in the garage on the bike or a run.

The camraderie in the sport is something I really enjoy. I've met so many great people through racing. It is so much fun to go to a race and know alot of people. Hang out with them before and after the race and share in their excitement. The same goes for being a part of the group here on BT. It is wonderful to see people work hard to reach their goals.

It has been really fun and motivating to be part of a team over the last 2 years and that has helped me remain focused. We meet for dinner before a race, hang out together and push one another. Its a great group of guys ranging from 17 to 61. I have to earn my spot each year so while we are a team we still compete with one another. I would do everything possible to pass one of my team mates in the last 50 yards of a race. Having a team has given me an extra boost to push myself. I want to make the team each year and I know that there are alot of people doing the same so there is incentive to get out the door and get my workouts in.

3. The best advice I can give to anyone whether beginner, advanced or somehere in between is to be consistent. It is not always easy to get out the door or wake early to get a workout in but consistency over time will yield great gains. 

Edited by slornow 2014-04-10 9:51 AM
2014-04-10 9:57 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Here's my 2 cents:

Question 1a: What motivates me: My motivation in starting was going to a local tri to help my daughter at an ADA booth and seeing people older than me (just a few), more out of shape than me (I am 5’11” and weight 250# at the time) and seeing how much fun they were having. Since then I really like the way I feel and I do enjoy the swim and the bike, I tolerate running.

Question 1b: What do I enjoy about triathlon: First and foremost the people. I haven’t raced in a big race with the uber-competitive folks who I hear can be, we’ll say not as nice as they could be. Everyone I have met has been warm and welcoming and helpful. Second I forgot how good it feels to really push your body and test your limits.

Question 2: How do you reconcile competitive nature with showing up at a race and having hundreds of people outperform you if you had a competitive background in anything? Hundreds, did you say hundreds? How about almost everyone. But I am just starting and I will be more competitive. I was a very good swimmer in my younger days but hold no fantasies about reliving the olden days. I compete against myself. My big goal is to finish my one and only IM. I will worry about how fast when the time comes. Until then I just want to know I am being true to the commitment I made to myself and my wife to get back into shape and have fun doing it.

That said, it’s still ‘go big or go home’ so if I’m in, I’m playin hard.

2014-04-10 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

Master
I'll post more later when I have more time.
Chris, sorry that I don't remember this but have you ever done a triathlon?
It is really hard (IMO) to define goals and reasons for being involved in tris because there is so much involved in the sport. My goals often change day by day. They have changed significantly over the years. They have also changed minute by minute in the middle of a race.
It is my opinion that most people are drawn to the sport because of what they learn about themselves in the process of training and racing. My coach has opened my eyes to a lot of things that I need to work on mentally. All of these things carry over into very aspect of life.
2014-04-10 1:29 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Holy smokes! Overwhelmed by the responses, in a great way. Thank you everyone. I haven't had time to read through everything in too much detail yet but I will tonight and put together some thoughts based on what everyone has said.

Rene - The answer to the question is no, I have not even done one triathlon yet, which I know makes this all sound even more neurotic.

The quick and thoughtful responses to this are exactly the reason I appreciate being a part of this group so much.
2014-04-10 1:37 PM

User image

Originally posted by slornow

I have had a stressful few months at work lately. Not terrible as compared to what some people deal with but more than usual. It can cause me to be short with people and lose my patience easily. I don't like being that way. If I did not exercise and push myself in my workouts that would be me all the time. I'm a different person before I exercise than after. It is good for me both mentally and physically. Not sure my wife would want me around if I brought home all my work stress each night.  She know's I will be happier after a stint in the garage on the bike or a run.

Randy...interesting that you mention this.

I've been a teacher (8th grade) for 10 years. I have found that my patience and my temperament in the classroom has changed since I got into running and triathlon. I think that my training has made me a better person to be around.

Another thought...While I'm only 10 years into my teaching career (ugh...20 more years!?), I've had many, many co-workers retire in the past 5 years. Sadly, many of those co-workers, who are only in the mid to late 50s, are now having strokes and heart attacks. It's a crazy trend...and not unique to my school. I wonder if the stress of the job for 30 years has taken it's toll. I'm hoping that I'm giving myself longevity by working hard in endurance sports.
2014-04-10 2:33 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Chris-I think one thing to keep in mind is that your goals will likely change over time. You may find that you are a "casual" triathlete where you may do 1-2 local events for fun each year with friends but are more focused on running or some other endeavor. I know several people like this. They won't get into the pool until a couple of weeks before an event and then just to make sure they have not forgotten how to swim. They are getting what they want out of the sport without it taking over their life.

I'm sure when you were younger and started running your goals built over time as you became faster and more competitive. What your goal was in one year may have looked like small potatoes compared to your goals and PRs in later years. Even if someone is a true FOP racer there are always going to be people faster. The abilities of some of the guys/ladies you see at the big events is pretty phenomenal....especially in some of the older age groups like 60+.

Someone had mentioned that there are likely to be some less friendly types at the more competitive events. I'm sure that is true as people may get that way as their intensity ramps up. But, I really have not seen it. I can remember only one instance of running into a D-bag at a race. It was my first AG Nationals in Tuscaloosa. I went because it was fairly close but I was in my 2nd year and definitely not a FOP guy. The guy racked next to me just came off like a jerk. I helped him pump up his disc with my pump....no "thanks" or appreciation shown. Just kind of a "I'm better than you" type of vibe. I figured he would crush the race since he had all the best gear and was so above talking with a guy like me. Made my weekend to beat him in .....one of the few in my AG I beat that race. I remember he was from Michigan....so maybe that was it.  I make a point to visit with the folks I rack next and talk to people on the course....its one of the things I really enjoy about racing. I'd be mortified if I ever acted or came across like the guy I mentioned above. Bottom line is that no one other than me REALLY cares about my race results. Sure, lots of people support and encourage me but bottom line is whether in racing or training I'm competing with myself. 

Edited by slornow 2014-04-10 2:40 PM
2014-04-10 2:57 PM

User image

Quick question. I've decided to start using my HRM again. I wore it last spring, but once the strap cut into my chest one too many times (please see the review on the Garmin 'soft strap') and then told me my HR was 65 bpm when I could clearly hear my heart bounding in my ears, I just stuck it in a drawer.

Alas...spring has sprung, I reread all of DC Rainmaker's reviews, I bought the Polar strap, snapped my Garmin on, and I'm ready to give it a go tomorrow.

Now that my question hasn't been quick...what's the best way to clean your HR strap? Do you just wipe it off with water after you use it? Do you do anything to it? I don't want to screw up the sensors.

2014-04-10 3:24 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Every few weeks I'll run a baby wipe over it to clean it, helps to have a 2 year old in the house. Besides that I just lick the pads before I put it on to make sure it's making good contact.
2014-04-10 3:32 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Jamie nailed it.

I started it because I thought it might be fun.

Would I like to win? YEP! DO I have a chance in ****? NOPE! LOL

So for now I compete with myself.

See my avatar? That's the thinnest I've been since high school - and I like it.

and I really like pie

Having said that - BACK TO WORK! 5 days to go...................
2014-04-10 4:07 PM

User image

Sooo....who's going to sign up for Ironman Maryland? Sept. 20th, 2014. Can that date be correct?

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/maryland.a...

Edited by glfprncs 2014-04-10 4:10 PM
2014-04-10 9:30 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

Sooo....who's going to sign up for Ironman Maryland? Sept. 20th, 2014. Can that date be correct?

I feel totally crazy to say this out loud....... But I'm thinking about it.
2014-04-10 9:38 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by glfprncs

Don't feel too bad, this is the right room to say/think something like that. It's like telling your AA meeting that you could use a drink-we get it

2014-04-10 10:03 PM

User image

Master

Just a few more thoughts to add into the discussion about competitive people at races. It has been my experience that the fastest people in any sport are normally very nice. They're very down to earth and don't have anything to prove. 

Something to remember is most people are nervous or uptight before a race. I wouldn't judge anyone on their transition setup behavior.  People have different racing styles. Some people are chatty before races. Others, like myself prefer to put on their headphones and set up without any outside interference. It may come across as being unfriendly . I don't want to talk to anyone on my rack or in transition before a race. If they ask to borrow something or a question then I'll help them. My behavior might be seen as unfriendly by some people. I need to be quiet and alone before a race. It has nothing to do with anyone else.

I did see something really funny this weekend at Galveston. A woman 3 bikes was down was chugging Pepto Bismalt out of the bottle before the race. The woman next to me had huge garbage bag that looked like she had a dead body in it. I still haven't figured out why she would need that much stuff at a race. 

Edited by Catwoman 2014-04-10 10:09 PM
2014-04-10 10:06 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master

Jason- I can't wait to hear the response from your AA sponsor (coach) about adding that race to your schedule. Don't you have enough nasty races on your schedule for this year without adding another one? 

2014-04-10 10:24 PM

User image

New user
Chris,

I am in my 2nd year of triathlons and really just got back into fitness and improving my health during the last 3 1/2 years. I started feeling better about myself and wanted a challenge. I was running recently with some friends and we finished up 5 miles. I was smiling when we met up with some other people to run 5 more. One of the guys commented on my smiling after running 5. I said I am still in my honeymoon with this. It is really true with me that I am still aglow with the improvement, challenge, body changes, opportunity and gift this has all been. I keep seeing barriers I thought were there disappear. Though this is new for me in endurance sports I think it is available to anyone at any level. The variety of opportunity is endless and only limited by our interest and creativity.

I have to reign in my interests to fit the balance of the rest of my world. I have a Very supportive partner who has helped support me in this adventure. I want to respect that devotion so I am careful to work on the balance with that in mind. I would not enjoy it as much if it was adversely impacting my home life and creating resentment. I would find a way to accommodate it though because I am hugely committed and motivated.

I have a competitive background from high school but like you that wasn't a good thing in my case. I really just strive for improvement now with myself. There are so many gifts to this lifestyle that I just want to be the best partner, Aunt, friend, running companion, biking team member I can be. I look forward to my training almost every day. I am off cholesterol meds, Cpap, most BP meds, down 100+ pounds! have lots of new friends and am more spiritually fulfilled than ever before. That is enough for me, it is a rich life.

Edited by Chunga 2014-04-10 10:26 PM
2014-04-11 8:18 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by WoodrowCall
Originally posted by wannabefaster
Originally posted by glfprncs Sooo....who's going to sign up for Ironman Maryland? Sept. 20th, 2014. Can that date be correct? http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/maryland.a...
Don't feel too bad, this is the right room to say/think something like that. It's like telling your AA meeting that you could use a drink-we get it

Too funny! "My name is Jason and I have an IM problem." No doubt still in the denial stage at this point.

2014-04-11 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

I've done over 7 hours of training since Sunday....my first week of good volume, but am feeling a little beat up today. Was going to run today, but am going to push it to tomorrow and just take all 3 dogs on individual walkies (so over an hour of walking for me) and then do some yoga to work the kinks out.

Big group ride on Sunday. Only riding 40, but a new to me tri member (he dropped off the earth a few years ago when triathlon sucked his life away...multiple Kona qualifier/finisher) is taking us on a new route. He promised that he won't make anyone cry on purpose.

2014-04-11 7:47 PM

User image

I hate to even bring this up...it's like the elephant in the room, but this is always a concern of mine whether I'm riding solo, with friends or in a race. Two cyclists were riding a portion of the New Orleans 70.3 course today and were struck by a car from behind. One man has died; the other is in critical condition.

Cycling on roads with cars truly makes you think of your mortality. It also makes me think Randy's on to something training on rollers all the time.

This is truly heartbreaking.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Bicyclists-struck-by-car-on-Chef-Highway-...
2014-04-11 8:05 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs I hate to even bring this up...it's like the elephant in the room, but this is always a concern of mine whether I'm riding solo, with friends or in a race. Two cyclists were riding a portion of the New Orleans 70.3 course today and were struck by a car from behind. One man has died; the other is in critical condition. Cycling on roads with cars truly makes you think of your mortality. It also makes me think Randy's on to something training on rollers all the time. This is truly heartbreaking. http://www.wwltv.com/news/Bicyclists-struck-by-car-on-Chef-Highway-...

Tragic and sad.

2014-04-11 9:18 PM

, Georgia
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by glfprncs I hate to even bring this up...it's like the elephant in the room, but this is always a concern of mine whether I'm riding solo, with friends or in a race. Two cyclists were riding a portion of the New Orleans 70.3 course today and were struck by a car from behind. One man has died; the other is in critical condition. Cycling on roads with cars truly makes you think of your mortality. It also makes me think Randy's on to something training on rollers all the time. This is truly heartbreaking. http://www.wwltv.com/news/Bicyclists-struck-by-car-on-Chef-Highway-...

Tragic and sad.

Unfortunately, the man killed hails from Atlanta, GA. So it hits home here.

Truthfully, this is one of the few things that greatly concern me. The fact of the matter is that there's little protection for cyclists, and people will be idiots. I cannot tell you how many times people have had little concern for a cyclist in an apartment parking lot. For every one person who actually knew the law and stood by it (and there has only been one), 50 others decide to defy it.

One of my cyclist friends is adament about riding outside, and I completely get why because races do not happen indoors most of the time. But at the same time, the ignorance of most drivers makes me severely distrustful of them to the point where I actually am somewhat scared everytime I go out.

It's one of the reasons I'm looking into jumping on the wagon with Randy and doing all of my cycling on the trainers. I know it's not popular, but given these concerns and future time constraints with work and family, it may be the best option.
2014-04-12 5:27 AM
in reply to: #4980099

User image

, North Carolina
And the sad part is as well that this isn't just in the states, but everywhere in the world. I just read that Chris Horner got hit by a car in Italy while on a training ride. This, I would say, is my wife' cheif concern for me in this sport. That and drowning in the ocean during a race. But I think a good balance between trainer rides and outdoor rides is a great option so that 1) it's safe to get in a good volume 2) the outdoor/race feeling is there in training and 3) the more drives see cyclists, the more aware they become of them on the road.

Well y'all, it's off to my 5k this morning. Looked at last years results and my goal pace of 7:45 would put me in competition for the podium in my age group. We'll see how things go and who else shows up today
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.