BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-04-12 1:36 PM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Just in from a nice 7 mile run. Also gave my bike a nice scrubbing to get all the winter road ick off of her. She's like a shiny penny now.

I wore my HRM for the first time in 9 months and I have a question about 'training zones.' I've used RPE for the past 9 months (ever since my Garmin strap rubbed a raw spot on my breast bone for the umpteenth time and the salt/sweat burned so badly that I took it off and carried it the rest of the run AND my Garmin stopped properly reading my HR).

I see others talking about staying in Z2 or spending X% of time in Z3 or Z4. How does one properly figure out these zones?

For example, during today's run, my average HR was 154. Max was 166 (near the end during a final climb). I'm 43 years old. So, I know that my HRmax should loosely be 220-age (unless one uses a different formula that's probably more scientifically sound), so 177 BPM. Using RPE, I'd say I was running at a 4, occasionally climbing to an RPE of 5 during a few climbs, throughout the run.

According to my data from my Garmin, my HR stayed fairly consistent throughout the run.

How does one best use this data?

I'm open to sending me to websites for further study as I know there's no one right answer to this.

2014-04-12 3:00 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-I think the 220-age is pretty misleading. There are several ways to claculate your "real" max heart rate and from there you can calculate the zones. Link below is an article about different methods. I recall another article that had a running test procedure.......I'll look for that one.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=405

My tri team volunteeered at the Semper Fi Tri Camp this morning in Pensacola Beach. The participants were all Marines with varying degrees of disability. Some had PTSD, others were missing a limb and the guy I worked with had no use of his legs. Some had done several tri's, like the guy I worked with, while for others it was their first. Great way to spend a beautiful Saturday morning. Really inspiring to see these guys accomplish something that we sometimes take for granted.

After that I went for an easy ride with some of my Team...it quickly turned into a hammerfest so I bailed after throttling myself for 25 miles. Followed the ride with a short run now I'm planning on racking out on the couch for some Master's action.    

2014-04-12 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4980524

User image

, North Carolina
My 5k went really well this morning. Weather was perfect with 60 degrees during the warm up, climbing into the 70's during the race. My time was 23:15 and that was good enough for first in my AG! I was super excited because I didn't expect that at all. The hardest part of the race was following the lead group off the line and forcing myself not to keep up with them running 5min/mile for faster! I averaged a solid 7:26/mile and I'm extremely happy with that so I considdered it a successful race and now I'm enjoying the beach and I'll get in a nice recon tomorrow of the bike course for my Tri here in June.

-Nathan
2014-04-12 6:48 PM
in reply to: #4980648

User image

Well done, Nathan. That's a pace I can only dream of!
2014-04-12 7:11 PM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by triathlonpal07 My 5k went really well this morning. Weather was perfect with 60 degrees during the warm up, climbing into the 70's during the race. My time was 23:15 and that was good enough for first in my AG! I was super excited because I didn't expect that at all. The hardest part of the race was following the lead group off the line and forcing myself not to keep up with them running 5min/mile for faster! I averaged a solid 7:26/mile and I'm extremely happy with that so I considdered it a successful race and now I'm enjoying the beach and I'll get in a nice recon tomorrow of the bike course for my Tri here in June. -Nathan

Great job!

2014-04-12 8:04 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master

Nathan- nice job! Congratulations!!

2014-04-13 2:15 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Awesome race, Nathan. Congrats.

Did a good 25 mile ride yesterday and just wrapped up a 7 mile run. Now that the weather has turned and I can start tacking on miles, I feel awesome. Kept a good solid pace yesterday on the bike and my long run was just in Z2 today but I kept ticking off miles right around 9:00 which is great for me for a nice easy pace. Knock on wood and everything else possible to not jinx it, but I just feel good right now. Ok, time to go trip down the stairs or something, and watch The Masters.
2014-04-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Rode 40 miles this morning with a great group of friends (and encountered 3 flats amongst the 7 of us and one tip over that resulted in 10 miles of crying (NOT by me!)) and followed it up with a 5 mile brick run so that my friend ShannAn didn't have to do it by herself.

While the run was slow, slow, slow, I was surprised by how strong I felt. My legs didn't have that dead feeling to them that they've had in prior brick runs. We also rode pretty hard the last 30 minutes in from the ride.

Also, after 2 weeks of using Ucan, I have to admit I'm pretty excited about it. Our ride was 2 1/2 hours and the run almost an hour (I told you it was slow). I drank 2 scoops of Ucan 45 minutes before the ride, ate 22 pretzel nuggets during the ride (2 servings, so another 240ish calories--ate them mainly for the salt), and drank 3 bottles of water on the bike and another bottle of water on the run. Never once felt tired, lightheaded or like I needed fuel.

Finally, I cannot say how much I ADORE the DeSoto 400 mile shorts!!!! While they're a smidge tight in the waist (motivation to lose some weight), they are definitely THE BOMB on the bike.
2014-04-13 3:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Nancy, so glad to hear that you like UCAN. I've been using it for the last 2 years and have had great successful with it . Blueberry Pomegranate is my favorite flavor.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-04-13 3:47 PM
2014-04-13 3:54 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master
South Alabama

Sounds like lots of folks out getting some training in. I did 42 miles fairly easy on the bike. Ran into a buddy from the LBS and rode with him for awhile. Fairly strong wind from the south so I was either fighting it or loving it. Then did a six mile run off the bike with a couple of hard miles mixed in. I think that's my longest run since December. Big training week so I did and ice bath when I got home..........only hurts for the first 5 minutes then I'm too numb to feel anything. I think it helped. Got in a couple of hours of outside chores now I'm sacked out on the couch watching golf. Legs feel pretty whipped!

For those racing New Orleans 70.3 I suspect they had some wind to deal with. Times in my AG seem to be somewhat slower this year. Its a popular early season race for folks down here.

2014-04-13 4:34 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

The local TV station was out at the Semper Fi Camp yesterday. They did a nice piece about the folks doing the camp. Really impressive to see what these guys and girls are accomplishing. Makes me appreciate the ability to this even more. http://www.weartv.com//news/features/featured/stories/wounded-warrior-vets-train-paratriathlon-4451.shtml

Also attaching some pictures of the team working the camp. I'm the guy on the right assisting the young man out of the water. He was seriously fast on the bike and doing the hand cycle run.

(Eric Larson and Randy Walton.jpg)

(GCTT Saturday Morning.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Eric Larson and Randy Walton.jpg (31KB - 3 downloads)
GCTT Saturday Morning.jpg (37KB - 3 downloads)

2014-04-13 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey everyone, just wanted to do a quick update from my race today! It was a half marathon in Raleigh North Carolina, and it went pretty well. There is some serious hills, and from what I'm hearing a lot of people are kind of freaking out about how hard it was. Actually, it was sad that two relatively young guys actually ended up dying on the course. We haven't heard the details yet, but everyone is wondering exactly what happened. I had a good race, and ended up finishing right at around 1:40, which I'm pretty happy with considering the hills. I'll post more later but just wanted to check in and hope everyone had a great weekend!
2014-04-13 7:53 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nathan and Jamie. Congratualtions on your great races. I read about the two people dying at the Raleigh half. Not good at all. Add that to the athlete killed while pre-riding the course at NOLA 70.3 and it was a bad weekend for endurance athletics. Such a bummer for all of their famlies.

On a lighter note, it is great to see the training that you are all getting in. Really impressive. I am in a bit of a training funk right now. I'm getting it done but not enjoying it like I usually do. What I know is that if I keep at it things will get better. I have been through these slumps before. Rene tells me it is just the volume of training for Triple T. I don't know. I'm getting a lot more nervous about my ability to perform over three straight days of triathlon. I guess I didn't expect it to be easy.

Randy. Love your pics of the event you guys helped at. Those are some tough dudes who stick with it in the face of whatever disability they may have. Really cool thing for you and for them.
2014-04-13 7:56 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by WoodrowCall Hey everyone, just wanted to do a quick update from my race today! It was a half marathon in Raleigh North Carolina, and it went pretty well. There is some serious hills, and from what I'm hearing a lot of people are kind of freaking out about how hard it was. Actually, it was sad that two relatively young guys actually ended up dying on the course. We haven't heard the details yet, but everyone is wondering exactly what happened. I had a good race, and ended up finishing right at around 1:40, which I'm pretty happy with considering the hills. I'll post more later but just wanted to check in and hope everyone had a great weekend!

Well done Jamie!

2014-04-13 11:28 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Nathan -- Congratulations on your AG 1st place finish yesterday! Nicely done.

Jamie -- Way to go running a 1:40 half-marathon -- that's an excellent time! Very sad to hear about the two deaths in the race...

Randy -- Thanks for sharing the Semper Fi camp pictures -- very cool that you are giving back so much to the sport.

Sorry I'm late in joining the discussion about motivation and competition. You guys have all had some thoughtful and intriguing answers...

Most of my motivation comes from a combination of curiosity and redemption -- I want to see what I'm capable of doing if I'm healthy and give myself a chance. In high school, I was a complete bust in basketball, baseball, football, track, and cross-country. I regretted that for many years. Some of my problems were health-related, and others were due to self-confidence issues. Ultimately, though, I just wasn't a very good athlete. As an adult, I've managed to overcome many of the health and self-confidence issues, and I've tried to leave the regrets behind. These days I'm mostly focused on doing the best I can and enjoying myself. I feel fortunate to lace up my running shoes, clip into my pedals, or hop into a pool or lake. I really enjoy putting time, effort, energy into triathlon and seeing myself improve. It feels "earned" to me -- it makes me feel more alive.

As for being competitive, about 95 percent of it is against myself. I've never come close to a podium finish, so I don't think much about it. But I do get a lot of pleasure out of putting out my best effort and setting a PR. I also enjoy the energy and enthusiasm surrounding a triathlon. It's fun being a part of an athletic event and calling myself a triathlete. That being said, I have to admit I also enjoy the rush of flying past people on a bike, or sprinting to the finish line ahead of a pack... Life's simple pleasures, I guess. ;-)

2014-04-14 1:48 AM

User image

Master
Nancy: It breaks my heart to read about these tragedies. I life lost, and many lives changed forever.

Randy: Love what your team did for those guys. Great pictures. What a wonderful thing!

Nathan: Great race! Congratulations!

Marathon done. 4:58. My goal was under 5 and I did it. I was worried the foot issue from Xterra would return from the pounding, but it didn't. I felt really good. My pace was consistent throughout. That's 20 minutes off of my 1st marathon.

My husband blew his last time out of the water! Finished in 4:49 last year, and this year he finished in 4:25. I'm stoked for both of us, but I am so proud of him! He went from a smoking (finally quit 9 years ago), non-exerciser ending up in the hospital with high blood pressure to a solid runner.

Whew! What a start to 2014. On to the next adventure! 48 mile relay race on the 26th of this month, 2.5 mile Cocos Crossing (swim) and the next Olympic distance triathlon in June. Still working on which races to do after that since traveling is needed for a few. I am hoping to finish this year the fittest I've been in years with more improvements in race results.

Happy training and new week!

2014-04-14 5:47 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Good morning all-

Well, another great week of racing for the group. Congrats to Nathan, Jamie and Blanda! Some excellent perfromances there and I would say its shaping up to be a pretty exciting summer for this group.

Randy - Thanks for sharing those pictures. That sounds like a great way to spend a day and very inspiraitonal indeed.

I have been off line for a few days but I did get all my workouts in and just caught up on logging them (sort of...minus the details) this morning. I did want to say I truly appreciate all the thoughts and feeback last week on motivation and drive to keep us going. There was a alot of thought put into it by everyone, not that I expected less, and all input was appreciated. I read each comment carefully and summarized them into thoughts for myself which I'll post now:

STFU & HTFU

Pretty concise for me, huh?

No, it really does come down to the fact that I need to embrace the journey right now. I need to enjoy doing the workouts and seeing what this year brings as far as performance and enjoyment of multisport racing. After that I can see how my body responds to being asked to slog off 20 years of neglect and maybe work towards becoming more competitive over the next couple years. Did I mention that patience is not one of my strongest virtues? I shared my thoughts with TOWKA last night over a glass of wine once the boy was in bed and her response was that she has been trying to tell me that for 20 years! Hmmmm...

On a side note, I have an appt later with this week with a kinesiologist and PT to look at some possible gait imbalances. I am seeing some uneven wear pattern from my left shoe to my right shoe. The left knee is the one I have had all the problems with and I am not sure whether gait issues are being created by two surgeries or two surgeries are being created by gait issues. I figured I better get it checked out now.

Have a great week everyone!
2014-04-14 7:50 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey everyone, my race report for the Raleigh Half Marathon is up if you want to check it out: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

It was a tough, but good, race and a great weekend. It was the first race my girlfriend and I have done together, and the first time she met my family, and everything went really well. Now, it's back to training!
2014-04-14 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4980948

User image

Well done, Jamie. I've run the City of Oaks (Raleigh) half...Raleigh definitely isn't flat.

Last day of spring break. Had a great 2400 yard swim. Worked a lot of breathing and body position. Had the concept in my head of 'swimming downhill.' Something must've clicked...it forced me to drop my head a bit in the water, my body felt streamlined, breathing was easier and I took 30 seconds off each 100. Streamlined & smooth are most definitely faster.

2014-04-14 5:07 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
30 seconds/100. Wow! That is a crazy amount of improvement. Swimming is all technique. No doubt about it. Little things can make a huge difference.

Anyone heard from Suzy? She is getting close to her knee surgery, I think.

Wish her luck if you get a chance. I think she has been training but maybe laying low a little bit.
2014-04-14 7:06 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-nice job on the swim. Huge improvement. Your comments about swimming downhill reminded me of something I was going to post.....then forgot.

Over the last week or two I have been mixing up my pull sets. Some with the buoy between the thighs, then between the knees and last between the ankles. As you move the buoy further down you really have to engage the core plus it makes your legs ride higher in the water. For me I feel that my head is just a bit lower in the water and I get than downhill swimming feeling. Great way to practice staying "taut" while swimming. Keeping the core engaged results in greater power/speed in the water.   

2014-04-15 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Rested completely for two days after Sunday's marathon. Training buddy and I tried to get a run going this morning. LOL! Next time.

2014-04-15 5:53 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hi Gang!

I know it's been a while since I've posted, but I have checked in a couple of times to see how things have been going for you.  Things look VERY positive for the group and I'm happy to see it.  It was hard for me to weigh in since I've been broken.

Had my surgery today.  Surgeon saw exactly what was on the MRI and nothing more.  He cut the bad part, left the good part and told my husband that my knee had no degeneration to speak of.  He was happy and that makes me happy.  I did find out that lateral meniscus surgery is not quite as rapidly healing as the medial side because of the way it situates on the bone so running will take longer to begin (probably six weeks).  Don't have any idea of the exact rehab schedule until I see the surgeon on Monday afternoon at my follow up.  I start some very basic PT on Thursday, get to spin on my bike with no tension on Friday and the rest is a big TBD.  As sad as I've been to miss Boston and all of my early season, today was a step forward.  I am thankful for it.

2014-04-15 7:15 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Sorry for being MIA for the last week. It seems like it's been one thing after another. Every time I sit down to post I'm interrupted to do something else.
Nathan, Jamie, Blanda, and Mr. Blanda- Awesome job on your races! Love hearing about the PR's.

Randy- Way to pay it forward, you should be proud of yourself. What no Trucker hat?

I saw my uncle on my Mother's side this weekend. I have no idea why but our families were never close when I was growing up even though they only lived about 45 minutes from us. Perhaps because he is around 15 years older than my Mom but I'm not really sure. My cousins are around my age and slightly older. Anyway he was telling me that one of my cousins qualified for and would be running the Boston Marathon this year. During the ensuing small talk I managed to find out from my Uncle which marathon my cousin had qualified in. Now I remember him being an avid cyclist years ago after high school and even being on a race team but I couldn't tell you if it was road, BMX, or whatever. At the time if there wasn't a ball or a puck involved I didn't pay much attention. Different story now that I'm addicted to endurance sports. When I got home I did my due diligence and looked up his finishing time in his marathon. 2:41:xx at the age of 50 years old. WTH MOM! Why didn't I get those genes!
2014-04-15 7:51 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by SSMinnow

Hi Gang!

I know it's been a while since I've posted, but I have checked in a couple of times to see how things have been going for you.  Things look VERY positive for the group and I'm happy to see it.  It was hard for me to weigh in since I've been broken.

Had my surgery today.  Surgeon saw exactly what was on the MRI and nothing more.  He cut the bad part, left the good part and told my husband that my knee had no degeneration to speak of.  He was happy and that makes me happy.  I did find out that lateral meniscus surgery is not quite as rapidly healing as the medial side because of the way it situates on the bone so running will take longer to begin (probably six weeks).  Don't have any idea of the exact rehab schedule until I see the surgeon on Monday afternoon at my follow up.  I start some very basic PT on Thursday, get to spin on my bike with no tension on Friday and the rest is a big TBD.  As sad as I've been to miss Boston and all of my early season, today was a step forward.  I am thankful for it.

Suzy-glad to hear things went as hoped/expected. Take it easy the next few days. Great that there was no arthritis or degenerative problems.

Along the same lines....my son goes back to the ortho tomorrow for a follow up on his knee problems. He has spent the last 5 monts getting 2 cortisone shots, doing PT and exercises and slowly building back into running. Unfortunately, the knee pain keeps returning. I'm betting they do another an MRI then scope the knee to se what is going on. He is just ready to move forward after 5 months of trying to rehab. Only 5 months until XC season starts and he is already getting anxious.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.