BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-04-18 11:01 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Originally posted by slornow

Jamie-congrats on the new job possibility. It would be hard to find a nicer place to live than Greenville....but sometimes there are other reasons to consider a move.  

Yep, I love Greenville, and wouldn't move unless there was a good reason...which, in this case, there is! We talked about it, and it's just a lot easier for me to pick up and move than her. Some benefits: she has a good tri-team, the Memphis Thunder, good barbecue (I've never loved Carolina bbq with mustard and vinegar), lots of good roads for riding, and it's a new place where I've never lived. Also, of course, she's pretty cool and lives there, lol.

Jamie, good luck with your interview! Memphis does have awesome BBQ and tons of places to try it. Redbirds baseball, Grizzlies if you like basketball, the games are a lot of fun to go to. You can workout outside for a big part of the year and lots of great fitness club options. There are also some really nice Greenway, park options.

I took my bike in this week for a tuneup and won't get it till Monday so my first group ride tomorrow may be on my hybrid but fun anyway. I added two days of strength training to my routine starting this week. About 40 minutes on the various weight machines at the Y, at least the ones I could figure out! I can really feel the effort today in some specific sore areas. Nice to add something new in and see where it goes. This whole journey has been such a joy seeing what comes of the things I open myself up to try. I Never would have thought I would enjoy running and I love it (most of the time)!

2014-04-18 5:22 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good luck to all the racers this weekend. Go hard and have fun!

2014-04-18 9:03 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Originally posted by slornow

Jamie-congrats on the new job possibility. It would be hard to find a nicer place to live than Greenville....but sometimes there are other reasons to consider a move.  

Yep, I love Greenville, and wouldn't move unless there was a good reason...which, in this case, there is! We talked about it, and it's just a lot easier for me to pick up and move than her. Some benefits: she has a good tri-team, the Memphis Thunder, good barbecue (I've never loved Carolina bbq with mustard and vinegar), lots of good roads for riding, and it's a new place where I've never lived. Also, of course, she's pretty cool and lives there, lol.

Sounds kind if awesome. And like a good adventure. And a really cool thing to do while you can.

Let us know if you do the interview in pjs.
2014-04-18 11:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Oops. Hi.

Edited by Blanda 2014-04-18 11:26 PM
2014-04-18 11:24 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
Well, my daughter got through the swim of her triathlon, but totally freaked out at everyone "yelling at her" (cheering her on) and bailed on the bike. Aiyaiyai! One day we will complete one. I swear, she's stoked about signing up, training, and has a great time until everyone looks at her. Ai, my girl.

Here's a great shot of little triathletes. My son, my daughter, my friends' kiddies:

(10271606_10201871977543456_2738423553101207485_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
10271606_10201871977543456_2738423553101207485_n.jpg (93KB - 2 downloads)
2014-04-19 7:29 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Blanda- Nice pic. I was a pretty shy kid as well. For me I just had to keep trying things that were out of my comfort zone. With age she will gain the confidence to push through the anxiety.

Very satisfied with my 5K last evening; 22:09 at 7:08/mile setting a new PR by a full minute over last fall's 23:10. Different courses but very similar course profiles. I paced it pretty evenly and had absolutely nothing left in the tank at the end. Right around Defcon 2 on the lose your lunch scale.
I'm looking at new pedals for the bike. Right now I have SPD's and want something that has a little more contact area with the shoe. Both pairs of shoes have the multiple cleat patterns so any style should fit. I'm thinking SPD-SL but I know there are other options. Look, speedplay, etc. Any recommendations?

Good luck Steve and Rene in your races this weekend!

2014-04-19 7:37 AM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Blanda too cute! Does great on the swim and freaks on the bike!! She'll get there

Kevin - nice 5K - congrats.

I ran this am with a friend - nice gentle pace......now it's 8:30 and I'm trying to decide what I want to do for the day. It's too cold to pedal so that'll have to wait. HHHMMMMM
2014-04-19 8:13 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Blanda

Well, my daughter got through the swim of her triathlon, but totally freaked out at everyone "yelling at her" (cheering her on) and bailed on the bike. Aiyaiyai! One day we will complete one. I swear, she's stoked about signing up, training, and has a great time until everyone looks at her. Ai, my girl.

Here's a great shot of little triathletes. My son, my daughter, my friends' kiddies:

I love that shot, especially with all the medals She might be on to something, though. I read once that the best way to stay injury-free is to train for races, and then never actually race them, since people tend to get injured while going hard in a race. She's a genius!

I don't even want to type this, but I'm getting ready to start a 3-hour trainer ride...

http://i.imgur.com/fkLF9.gif
2014-04-19 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Thanks so much for the kind words. I always feel awful on race day because I think people think I force her to sign up for these, but I don't! I ask her if she would like to participate, she says "yes" and tells me she needs me to get her bike checked at the bike shop to make sure it works, puts in some laps at the pool, rides around the hood, then race day she freaks! One day....

Jamie, congratulations on the new job and the new direction in life! I wish you both all the best.

HAPPY EASTER!! Going to eat my fill later and then try to run it off tomorrow.

Edited by Blanda 2014-04-19 10:56 PM
2014-04-20 8:06 AM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by GoldenSprocket Blanda- Nice pic. I was a pretty shy kid as well. For me I just had to keep trying things that were out of my comfort zone. With age she will gain the confidence to push through the anxiety. Very satisfied with my 5K last evening; 22:09 at 7:08/mile setting a new PR by a full minute over last fall's 23:10. Different courses but very similar course profiles. I paced it pretty evenly and had absolutely nothing left in the tank at the end. Right around Defcon 2 on the lose your lunch scale. I'm looking at new pedals for the bike. Right now I have SPD's and want something that has a little more contact area with the shoe. Both pairs of shoes have the multiple cleat patterns so any style should fit. I'm thinking SPD-SL but I know there are other options. Look, speedplay, etc. Any recommendations? Good luck Steve and Rene in your races this weekend!

Well done. That's a nice improvement in a 5K. After every 5K race I do I swear I won't do another.......too much pain. Wonder why I don't feel the same way after a sprint tri? Probably because it's alot more fun?

Pedals-I have used Shimano Ultegra pedals since I started riding. They seem to hold up well and it is what I'm used to. Not sure they are better or worse than others.

Enjoy the day!  

2014-04-20 11:58 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Pedals...I have Look Keo Classic. The only reason I have them is because I found a guy selling them on Craigslist who had only used them for about 2 months. He was selling them complete with a new set of cleats for $50. After dropping all 2 grand on a bike, I was giddy saving myself the $$ for the pedals. I haven't had any issues with them, so I keep riding in them. I did have to get new cleats this year as my left cleat is pretty worn on the front edge.

Just back in from a very windy and very hilly 40 mile ride. Rode with a 'new to me' tri guy who absolutely busted my butt in a good way. He's a mutliple Kona qualifier who is just getting back into triathlon after leaving the sport due to burnout 5 years ago. What an absolute plethora of knowledge he is. Helped me ton on the hills today, and wouldn't let me get into my 'lollygag' mode that I tend to want to ride in. The wind was steady at 15-18 mph and seemed to be in a face the entire ride. Was a tough day, but a successful day in which I learned a lot about myself and about technique.

Off to write lesson plans...ONLY 25 more days of school and then it's SUMMER VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-04-20 7:55 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Did a nice 30 mile bike yesterday but what a weird run tonight. First mile a dog chased me. Bunch of people hanging out on their front yard and all of a sudden a dog busts after me. I ran a few more feet but he wasn't stopping. No one came right after him so I turned at him as he got to me and I kind of made myself big and yelled at him and pointed my flashlight at him. Luckily he was a friendly dog but for a few seconds I didn't know if I'd have to defend myself or not. Then the owner comes over and doesn't really apologize but whatever, I just move on. 2nd mile of the run my light dies. Awesome. Luckily I still had my flashers on and I could go backroads where there are never any cars. 3rd mile I see a shooting star. 4th mile wasn't very eventful by comparison. All in all, crazy run.
2014-04-20 10:23 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Happy Easter Everybody!

Good news/bad news today at the Silicon Valley Triathlon... The good news is I managed a PR for an Oly distance triathlon and dipped under 2:40 for the first time -- but just barely (2:39:54). I placed 7th out 19 in my AG. The bad news is I missed qualifying for Nationals... by 18 seconds. The guy who finished 6th (the final qualifying spot) passed me with about 3 miles left on the run and I couldn't get past him again. I wasn't expecting to qualify, so I'm not too disappointed. But I wish I had known. Maybe I could have summoned a little more effort somewhere -- then again, maybe not...

The swim was chaotic in the fog -- lots of zig-zagging. Most of the time I couldn't see a thing. It reminded me of Apocalypse Now -- especially at the end when I was swimming blindly toward the sound of the blaring loudspeakers. It wasn't a fast time, but the swim turned out to be my best leg (29:47 -- 6th in AG).  I felt good for most of the ride, but my power dropped a bit on the last 4 miles or so. I was 8th in my AG on the bike (1:16:24). There was a fairly steep mile-long hill at mile 12 that slowed everybody down.

My run started out good, but I faded at the end. I finished the 10K in 50:01. I still haven't cracked 50 minutes yet in an Oly-distance 10K -- ugh. It seems like improvements come in very small steps for me...

I'll post a full race report soon. Hope everybody had a good weekend...

2014-04-21 7:53 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by sdswriter

Originally posted by wannabefaster Once again, I struggled to get through the training and missed my goals, especially on the bike. I can't ever remember a time when my legs have been sore like this, even in the deepest depths of IM training. I just can't seem to get ahead of it. Every time I start to feel better another workout is on the schedule and I'm back to screaming quads and calves. It has been interesting to say the least. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this is how I am supposed to feel. I guess it is time to discuss this with someone who gets paid to deal with issues like this, my coach. 
Jason, I'm going through the exact same thing -- again. I figured it was due to my advancing age. But you're still a youngster, so now I'm not so sure. My latest slump started last week after a really strong 12-mile run that was supposed to be an easy/moderate day. I've been stuck in a hole ever since. Hope you find your way out it....

Steve.

Just an update. I took last week incredibly easy and seem to be doing much better. Had a good ride last night and a great run this morning. Evidence would suggest that I just needed some recovery.

Hope you are feeling better too.

Edit to say, I see that you are doing just fine based on your post above

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-04-21 7:54 AM
2014-04-21 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

, North Carolina
Kevin, props on the 5k... That's a full minute faster than mine was.

Also, pedals... Like Randy I have some Ultegra in my bike because that's what the guy I bought it from was using. I have used both the look and the speedplay over the last year of borrowing bikes from friends. It really is a personal choice, but if you are looking for a wider pedal with more shoe contact I would shy away from speedplay. That is was I used before the ultegra ans switching made a huge difference. The ONLY thing I like about speedplay is that they are easier to clip into... That's all I like about them. I feel like I'm going to stick with the ultegra for a long time they feel much more stable and I love 'em.

-Nathan
2014-04-21 10:34 AM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Happy Easter Everybody!

Good news/bad news today at the Silicon Valley Triathlon... The good news is I managed a PR for an Oly distance triathlon and dipped under 2:40 for the first time -- but just barely (2:39:54). I placed 7th out 19 in my AG. The bad news is I missed qualifying for Nationals... by 18 seconds. The guy who finished 6th (the final qualifying spot) passed me with about 3 miles left on the run and I couldn't get past him again. I wasn't expecting to qualify, so I'm not too disappointed. But I wish I had known. Maybe I could have summoned a little more effort somewhere -- then again, maybe not...

The swim was chaotic in the fog -- lots of zig-zagging. Most of the time I couldn't see a thing. It reminded me of Apocalypse Now -- especially at the end when I was swimming blindly toward the sound of the blaring loudspeakers. It wasn't a fast time, but the swim turned out to be my best leg (29:47 -- 6th in AG).  I felt good for most of the ride, but my power dropped a bit on the last 4 miles or so. I was 8th in my AG on the bike (1:16:24). There was a fairly steep mile-long hill at mile 12 that slowed everybody down.

My run started out good, but I faded at the end. I finished the 10K in 50:01. I still haven't cracked 50 minutes yet in an Oly-distance 10K -- ugh. It seems like improvements come in very small steps for me...

Sounds like all good news to me! CONGRATS!

So today is Marathon Monday. I didn't think I'd really care but I'm sitting at work watching the live coverage :p
It's crazy watching these guys run!!

Have a good day all!

2014-04-21 6:20 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Steve-nice job on the race!

Was able to watch the last 30-40 minutes of the women and men's race at the Boston Marathon. Absolutely amazing the pace these folks are able to maintain over 26.2 miles. Looks like they had a great day in Boston.

After two pretty big volume weeks I have a fairly light week heading into my race on Saturday. Hoping it will allow for the return of some pop in my legs.

2014-04-21 6:22 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

WOW.  It's been a roller coaster of a day.  I woke up totally bummed about not toeing the Boston start line, but the I saw that awesome finish my MEB and was revived. I figure it would be a few weeks before I could start doing anything, but his perseverance was so electric that it got me jazzed to keep doing these stupid little PT exercises to get back at it.  Flash forward 5 hours and I have my stitches out and find out I can actually start swimming and easy biking tomorrow. A mere 6 days post op.  Running is still 4 weeks away, but I'll live with it.  One day at a time.

2014-04-21 6:49 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by SSMinnow

WOW.  It's been a roller coaster of a day.  I woke up totally bummed about not toeing the Boston start line, but the I saw that awesome finish my MEB and was revived. I figure it would be a few weeks before I could start doing anything, but his perseverance was so electric that it got me jazzed to keep doing these stupid little PT exercises to get back at it.  Flash forward 5 hours and I have my stitches out and find out I can actually start swimming and easy biking tomorrow. A mere 6 days post op.  Running is still 4 weeks away, but I'll live with it.  One day at a time.

Awesome news!
2014-04-21 8:07 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good to hear Suzy!

2014-04-21 10:18 PM

User image

New user

Great to hear!

I was so inspired I went out and did 5 miles on my rest day just because! Amazing watching them today.

2014-04-21 11:19 PM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Happy Easter Everybody!

Steve good work on the PR. I was there as a spectator and was looking for you but in that small space it was hard to find anyone. I hope you got out of there before the accident on Hwy 1 that closed the road for almost five hours.

This was my first tri to see where the finish was not near the start. It was interesting to see the crowds thin out as their people finished the swim to move to the T2 location.

One thing bothered me though. As most of the swimmers had finished the entire group of event people abandoned the location. A hand full of volunteers were left between the water exit and T1 but no one close to the water. Towards the end there were less than ten swimmers in the water clearly fighting to finish. The only guy on the beach was the fiancé of one of the last four. Even the event photographer was gone. So I went down and joined him and we stayed to root on the last few hearty souls as they exited the water.

The last four had an escort of kayaks and jet skis following them. I am sure at first it was to see if they needed help but then it turned to pure encouragement when it was clear they were not going to give up. It was both inspiring and humbling at the same time. If you ever find yourself near an event like this where beginners are entered and are not competing I encourage you to go down to the water after everyone's attentions have turned elsewhere. It will definitely motivate you.
2014-04-22 12:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Suzy glad you are on the mend. Boston next year???
2014-04-22 1:44 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Jason - Glad to hear your recovery week paid some dividends. That's really good to know. I'll definitely keep that in mind going forward.

Suzy - That's great news about getting your stitches out so soon. Have fun swimming and biking. Keep your recovery steady and easy, and you'll be back in no time at all.

Stuart - That is very cool that you stayed and rooted on the final swimmers at Half Moon Bay. I agree that they are just as inspiring and motivating as the fast athletes. I ended up biking back to T1 to get my car after the race, so I avoided the traffic. I didn't know there was an accident, but I did see (and hear) several firetrucks and ambulances during the bike ride.

I also watched the final 2-3 miles of the Boston Marathon today. It was very inspiring to see Meb grit his teeth and push forward for the win. Also very fitting for an American to (finally) win it this year.

2014-04-22 5:51 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by Stuartap

Suzy glad you are on the mend. Boston next year???

Nope. I would need to qualify by early September and that isn't realistic or a priority.  The only reason I wanted to do Boston was because of what happened last year.  Who knows maybe I'll do it again, but #1 goal will still be to break 13 at IM WI.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.