BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-04-22 10:06 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Crazy trainer ride last night. 5 sets of:
3 x 15"@200% FTP
1 x 4'@110% FTP

The 200% FTP was really cool. It was pretty much get into my gnarliest gear and just let it all go. 3 of those with 45 seconds between, then 4 minutes of 110%. Good stuff. I'm glad a have a good towel set up on the bike bra and handlebars and aero bars, it was needed.

2014-04-22 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by SSMinnow

WOW.  It's been a roller coaster of a day.  I woke up totally bummed about not toeing the Boston start line, but the I saw that awesome finish my MEB and was revived. I figure it would be a few weeks before I could start doing anything, but his perseverance was so electric that it got me jazzed to keep doing these stupid little PT exercises to get back at it.  Flash forward 5 hours and I have my stitches out and find out I can actually start swimming and easy biking tomorrow. A mere 6 days post op.  Running is still 4 weeks away, but I'll live with it.  One day at a time.

This was great to read, Suzy. One day at a time!

I'm finally moving around again. Got a trainer ride in and a few runs. I have a 48.6 mile relay race with some girlfriends on Saturday, and Sunday is the Ride For Life that I've decided to go ahead and do. A bunch of us decided to stay together, so I won't feel like such a target.
2014-04-22 8:00 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Suzy...glad to hear your recovery is going smoothly thus far. You'll be back to where you want to be in no time.

I have spent the last two days after work in Microsoft download hell. Seriously, I've been trying to get Office 2013 installed on my new computer since Friday night. I spent 12 hours in the last two evenings dealing with failed download after failed download. FINALLY got it installed today after many calls to tech support, a direct download link, a new modem and lots of calls and screenshots to more tech savvy friends.

I'm exhausted and I haven't worked out since Sunday.

23 more days of school!!!!! On a cool note, on Monday, I get to start teaching Turbo Kick to 16 8th grade girls every morning. TK is a cardio kickboxing class that I certified in back in 2011. It's a fun format and I get an additional 30 minutes of cardio each day. Plus, I don't have to teach reading remediation anymore this year. Summer is almost here!!!!!!!!!!!!
2014-04-23 9:56 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Quick question, what is everyone's input on "too slow" of a ride? A group of people at my work do a charity ride every year and they ride as a group every Saturday morning. They start at 15 miles the first week working their way up to 50 at the end. I rode a few times with them last year and the pace wasn't really what I typically push for. I know more saddle time the better, but with a kind of squeezed schedule if I'm going to leave the house at 5 AM on a Saturday morning and spend a few hours (30 min drive each way, hour+ ride) I'd rather that time be spent pushing myself. I was thinking it'd be great for a recovery ride, but weekends are more reserved for my longer/harder sessions. Hmm, maybe just answered my question just typing this all out and reading it.
2014-04-23 10:51 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by jonD81 Quick question, what is everyone's input on "too slow" of a ride? A group of people at my work do a charity ride every year and they ride as a group every Saturday morning. They start at 15 miles the first week working their way up to 50 at the end. I rode a few times with them last year and the pace wasn't really what I typically push for. I know more saddle time the better, but with a kind of squeezed schedule if I'm going to leave the house at 5 AM on a Saturday morning and spend a few hours (30 min drive each way, hour+ ride) I'd rather that time be spent pushing myself. I was thinking it'd be great for a recovery ride, but weekends are more reserved for my longer/harder sessions. Hmm, maybe just answered my question just typing this all out and reading it.

I think you are right. With limited time maximize what time you available with workouts that best prepare you. Maybe if you have an easy week or looking for active recovery it might be fun. 

2014-04-23 2:43 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by jonD81 Crazy trainer ride last night. 5 sets of: 3 x 15"@200% FTP 1 x 4'@110% FTP The 200% FTP was really cool. It was pretty much get into my gnarliest gear and just let it all go. 3 of those with 45 seconds between, then 4 minutes of 110%. Good stuff. I'm glad a have a good towel set up on the bike bra and handlebars and aero bars, it was needed.

Interesting!  What is the purpose of the 15" at 200% FTP?  I know for certain there is no way I could crank double mine for any length of time.  

2014-04-23 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by jonD81 Crazy trainer ride last night. 5 sets of: 3 x 15"@200% FTP 1 x 4'@110% FTP The 200% FTP was really cool. It was pretty much get into my gnarliest gear and just let it all go. 3 of those with 45 seconds between, then 4 minutes of 110%. Good stuff. I'm glad a have a good towel set up on the bike bra and handlebars and aero bars, it was needed.

Interesting!  What is the purpose of the 15" at 200% FTP?  I know for certain there is no way I could crank double mine for any length of time.  

TrainerRoad lets you sort workouts now by intensity level, so i sorted it by "Insane" and that was one of the workouts that came up. I'm not really sure what the point of it was besides to leave me wobbly before the 4' at 110%. It's one of those "Oh, it's only 15 seconds, it's no big deal." Then you spin it out and think you're done but realize you have 8 seconds left at a disgusting effort before you can let go.
2014-04-24 6:29 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Got around to do another FTP test last night. Pool is closed this week due to school vacation so I'm trying to really get some quality in at night. Every time I've done a test I've flaked off towards the end. Not that I wasn't pushing, I just wasn't pushing hard enough and really digging down deep to get everything I could out of it. Last night I dug a lot deeper than before. I was able to raise my FTP 25 watts (Trainer Road power), or roughly 12%. I knew it was there, I just had to get it. I was kind of getting down on myself for putting in some good hours on the trainer this winter but not seeing the test results. Physically I knew I improved but seeing the numbers to verify it is nice. Now I get to look forward to my next ride at increased FTP that will surely destroy me.
2014-04-24 8:23 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Well, the weekend is sneaking up on us. Anyone racing? I'm doing a sprint in Biloxi Saturday morning. It's a "points" race for our team so I think we will have a big turnout. Always fun to race with and against your buddies. It's a small but competitive race with a really good party after. My definiton of "good" post race party is plenty of real food and cold beverages. I have no problem drinking a beer post race at 10:00am. Racing is kind of like fishing.....if you are out doing it there is no "too early" for a beer.

2014-04-24 8:38 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Well, the weekend is sneaking up on us. Anyone racing? I'm doing a sprint in Biloxi Saturday morning. It's a "points" race for our team so I think we will have a big turnout. Always fun to race with and against your buddies. It's a small but competitive race with a really good party after. My definiton of "good" post race party is plenty of real food and cold beverages. I have no problem drinking a beer post race at 10:00am. Racing is kind of like fishing.....if you are out doing it there is no "too early" for a beer.

Randy, sounds like a fun weekend! The weather also looks perfect, which is nice. I totally agree about the post-race beer, and I feel the same way about food. Pizza? Yes, please. Last year's Rev3 always had bbq at the end, which I was more than happy with for breakfast! Good luck in the race, you'll tear it up!

It's been a pretty typical training week for me, I'm just still trying to get my leg back to 100%. My left calf just feels strained; nothing is torn, or anything, and I know that a week off would fix everything, but I don't feel like taking that off. So, I'm just taking it easy on the run and stretching. No race for me this weekend, but I am going to do a long bike out in the sunshine, which will be great.

On the job front, my Skype interview Tuesday went well enough that I've gotten called back to come out and do a personal interview next week, so I'll be heading out to Memphis next Wednesday to spend the day at the school. Luckily, my GF is an ironman, so that won't interrupt training at all; in fact, she's got a coach, so training is usually more rigid than when I'm on my own! Plus, the school we swim at is at the school I'm interviewing with, so it doesn't get much easier than that. Fingers crossed!
2014-04-24 9:22 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-sounds like things are heading in the right direction. Happy for you.

Ok, given the discussion about race food/refreshments.....what was the best post race party/food/refreshments you've had?

Best food-hands down was Santa Rosa Island Sprint on Pensacola Beach. Carrabas Italian Restaurant catered it.....grilled chicken, rice, bread etc. Certainly there are more authentic Italian Restaurants but boy it was good after a race. They were cooking the chicken on site so no tough/rubber chicken. Beautiful venue overlooking the clear waters of Pensacola Beach.

Best post race party-Sandestin Sprint. This race is held in Destin Florida and the area is beautiful. Sandestin is right on the Gulf. Good food but the after party/awards is at a pool over looking the Gulf with plenty of refreshing drinks. Part of what makes the race so good is that most people make a weekend of it and rent a room/condo onsite for the weekend. So, you just walk down to transition and the family can sleep in and come out to watch you finish. Also, you are likely to have a bunch of triathletes/friends hanging out by the pool with their families in the afternoon. That way you can relive the race in detail with your buddies without boring your family with the details.  

Close 2nd: Grandman Sprint-Fairhope, Alabama-first race I ever did and this is my home race. Transition is only a little over a mile from the house. I bike and run on the course all the time. Beautiful setting in the City Park next to Mobile Bay. One of the few times my family comes out to see me race. Lets face triathlon spectating is pretty beat. Post race in the Park in a shaded area with huge oak trees with spanish moss draping off the branches. Food is OK but plenty of cold beer makes up for that. Nice to get up, race, party and still be home napping by noon. 

Most all of the races at the Gulf have good post race events.  

2014-04-24 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Wow, Randy, I need to get in some classier races. I don't think I've had anything that good! For the past two year, I've done Rev3 Anderson nearby and they have bbq sandwiches at the end, which are great. I honestly can't think of any other great food at races I've done. It's usually pizza, maybe bagels, plain turkey sandwiches, and cookies.
2014-04-24 1:05 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I did a sprint last year that had a local Italian place cater. They had these small racks of ribs that were falling off the bone. Then some meatballs and other stuff but it was such a hot day I didn't really want much of it. My favorite is when they have a good pizza place there for after. One race every year they have Upper Crust pizza which is just a great local pizza joint. It's so good. Really helps that last 1/2 mile on the run.
2014-04-24 1:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
AH FOOD!!

Well it wasn't a race - it was actually a fundraiser road ride for a local hospital but WTH they had grilled Salmon at the end! BEST POST EVENT FOOD EVER!! They also had grilled chicken, real cut up fruit salad and other yummy FRESH stuff!

So let's see - yep, weekend is nearly upon us. Good Luck Randy - kick some a$$! I have a 10K on Sunday. I should have no problem pr'ing because my current PR is 1:00:06. So even with the limited running I've been doing I should be able to break a 10MM. And if I don't, I'm blaming the jack--- that rear ended me this am on my way to work. I'm fine yadda yadda. In fact it's the 2nd time I've been rear ended at the same traffic light in the 10 years I've been commuting that direction. AND both times the bike rack was on my car. Man that Thule T2 can take a beating, let me tell you. It took the hit and protected my car from any damage. I didn't even look to see if he had an indentation on his car because frankly I didn't care. Can you tell I'm pissed? LOL But yeah yeah, thank goodness it wasn't worse.

Oh and I start training with Mike on Monday. YAY!

Carry on all!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-04-24 1:41 PM
2014-04-24 1:55 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randee, Wow. I am happy that you are ok. Must be frustrating to get hit over and over at the same light.

As far as food goes.... The best ever was the Poutine and beer at the finish line at Mont Tremblant 70.3 last year. I went back for seconds and maybe thirds. Not my best race but the food was so good so I have fond memories.

On another front, it turns out that my son is going to be visiting several colleges over the summer and doing a summer study program at Brown. All very cool, fantastic even, except for the fact that several of the college visit weekends will be on the same weekends that I was signed up for races. Obviously my son's college visits and academic future take precedence over my hobby but I do get to be a little bit bummed. The American Triple T race is a little bit up in the air. Still making plans. Sniff.......
2014-04-24 2:12 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
That's tough Jason. It's admirable that you obviously have your priorities in the right order, but it still stings. Hopefully you're able to work something out. Seems like sometimes no matter how far in advance you attempt to plan something there's always some kind of issue as it gets closer.

2014-04-24 2:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-Find races in the locations where you will be visiting your son....... Oh, and start finding the name of a good divorce lawyer   You may remember a guy named Stu that we had in our mentor group a couple of groups back. Screen name is "juneapple". His daughter goes to Brown. Stu is a great guy and I'm sure would welcome any questions you have about Brown if you message him.  

Edited by slornow 2014-04-25 7:56 AM
2014-04-25 12:43 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jonD81

That's tough Jason. It's admirable that you obviously have your priorities in the right order, but it still stings. Hopefully you're able to work something out. Seems like sometimes no matter how far in advance you attempt to plan something there's always some kind of issue as it gets closer.

Exactly this!

I'm sure your son appreciates it too - you all sound like you have great kids.

I don't have any kids but of all my friends, the ones who have kids who are the most polite to adults and seem to have their schit together are the ones where the families do outside stuff together. That's my observation for what it's worth. So keep on doing what you are doing!
2014-04-25 4:47 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by wannabefaster Randee, Wow. I am happy that you are ok. Must be frustrating to get hit over and over at the same light. As far as food goes.... The best ever was the Poutine and beer at the finish line at Mont Tremblant 70.3 last year. I went back for seconds and maybe thirds. Not my best race but the food was so good so I have fond memories. On another front, it turns out that my son is going to be visiting several colleges over the summer and doing a summer study program at Brown. All very cool, fantastic even, except for the fact that several of the college visit weekends will be on the same weekends that I was signed up for races. Obviously my son's college visits and academic future take precedence over my hobby but I do get to be a little bit bummed. The American Triple T race is a little bit up in the air. Still making plans. Sniff.......

I hope your son appreciates your sacrifice.  I would make sure he did.    

Happy Weekend people!

2014-04-25 7:56 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I'm envious that you all can even think about food post race. The last thing I wanted after Augusta 70.3 was food or beer.

I'm off to the Atlanta area tomorrow (almost 3 hour drive) for a bike fitting with a guy recommended to me by 3 coaches in the area. Here's hoping he can get me situated on my bike.

I'm signed up for an annual bike ride on Sunday, but I'm not sure what to do since I'm getting refit on my bike the day prior. I'm signed up for a metric century, but there's an option for 25 miles instead. I'd like to do the 60, as it's a fun easy ride and the weather is going to be fantastic, but I'm a little wary if we make some dramatic changes to my position/saddle the day before.

I've got my first tri of the year in two weeks (Olympic distance), and my training the last 10 days has been horrid (work priorities, chest cold, exhaustion). I know I can get it done, and at this point in the season, I see it more as a serious training day than a 'race' per se. Perhaps I should do an open water swim sometime between now and then, you think?

19.5 more days of school for the students!!!!! I hear the summer train calling me name!

2014-04-25 9:02 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

I'm envious that you all can even think about food post race. The last thing I wanted after Augusta 70.3 was food or beer.

I have noticed that the more I race, the more I am able to eat after racing. After my first sprint tri I was nauseated for a couple days. After my first marathon it was at least 24 hours before I felt like eating anything at all. After my first IM I was not hungry in the slightest for about 14 hours.

Of course after my last Marathon I was scarfing down food about 60 minutes after finishing. After my last IM I was eating the pizza within 15 minutes of finishing and went out for wings afterwards.

Not sure what it all means, but the more I race the less upset my stomach seems to be with the whole experience.

2014-04-26 7:31 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Happy weekend everyone!

It has been pure insanity from a life standpoint the last two weeks so I have done little more than check in on everyone briefly and haven’t posted anything in a while. I have kept up with my training plan, for the most part (missed a couple swims), but haven’t been as active in the group as I would like. Schedule wise, things look much better for the next month or so but I did get some disturbing feedback from my last couple sessions with the Kinesiologist and PT.

I know you’ll all find this hard to believe but apparently 20 years of relative inactivity, not so amazing lifestyle choices, lack of training, and 2 surgeries can have a rather negative impact on your biomechanics. I know, shocking, right? I think I mentioned a while back that I noticed a weird and imbalanced wear pattern on my left shoe which sparked me to get some feedback on it. In the last two weeks, I have been poked, prodded, manipulated, videoed, taped, stretched and rehab exercised multiple times per week.

It appears that the bottom line is that my push back to training for specific sports, even as slowly as I felt like I went, neglected the recruitment of some key muscles in the process and I have now developed one hell of a gait imbalance. They have videoed me several times on the treadmill and we recently compared it to a tape of me running shortly after college at an open club track meet and it was disgusting! The image on the screen certainly did not fit the picture in my head. No wonder my knee hurts any time I throw in a little interval work.

So, for me it is a step back for at least a month or so. I am doing multiple times per day exercises to strengthen my left quad and both glutes. They haven’t cut me off from any training but it is reduced and the effort is going to be a lot lower until the technique is back to something that does not resemble a sumo wrestler doing jumping jacks. TOWKA is very good about always keeping up with her stretching and yoga and massages and blah, blah, blah…So I am enjoying a big fat dose of “I told you so…” right now. I’m not sure what this all looks like a month down the road but I know I want to get it right because I really want to be able to participate in this craziness at a decent level over the coming years.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and good luck to anyone racing this weekend!!!
2014-04-26 7:43 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
As for the food at the end of the race topic, our local marathon which TOWKA and I both started running a few years ago has fantastic after race fare. In addition to the typical bagels, fruit, muscle milk, string cheese, etc…they also have pickle juice. They do that at a few places I've seen and if you haven’t tried it, it is surprisingly good. I don’t know it just works for me from a salty, liquid, flavor, balance point of view.

However, what really sets it apart is the chili and beer garden! Founders Brewery, which is becoming more and more available outside of Michigan, is one of our many local brews and they are a sponsor. That means All Day IPA for me at the finish line!! Yes, please!!

Back in the days of serious racing, it was also serious eating and I don’t mean from an educated smart nutrition for a competitive athlete point of view. I mean, after a race we would absolutely gorge. I remember leaving an indoor track meet at Eastern Michigan University where I had tripled the 1500m, the anchor leg of the 4X800 relay and the 5000m and I bet one of the guys I was hungry enough to eat 6 Burger King cheeseburgers when we stopped. He took the bet and I finished the 6 I ordered and ate 2 of his as well! Ughhh…what a disgusting thought today…I've never had a problem eating after a race.
2014-04-26 3:36 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Chris.

Great to hear from you. I was wondering what you were up to.

Great news that you have a team of folks that can diagnose your running imbalance issues and prescribe a fix. I often wonder how many of us are running around with huge form problems that we don't even know about.

There is a local running-specific physical therapy gym that will help folks with running related issues. Although I have been very fortunate in being relatively injury free, I have been thinking about having them take a look at my form to see if there are fixes that need to be made.
2014-04-26 4:12 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Master
South Alabama

Chris-great to get these things addressed early in your returning to running. Hopefully, it will pay big dividends down the road.

Race went well this morning. Felt like absolute crap on the bike and run.....but it looks like it was because I was pushing pretty hard. First "hot" morning. Ended up winning grandmasters and finishing 7th overall. Pretty balanced day as I was 15th in the swim, 10th on the bike and 13th on the run.  My tri team took home the top 8 spots in the race so it was a good day all around. 

Heading out to watch some playoff HS soccer. No kids playing but it is the high school where my daughter went and we still know lots of the kids/parents.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.