BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-04-15 8:29 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
This is so me! 5k, 10k, or sprint tri. Why can't they put a garbage can or a well placed bush near the finish line. Those volunteers who take my ankle chip at the end of a sprint tri don't know how much danger they are in!
http://www.runnersworld.com/health/post-race-vomiting?cm_mmc=NL-Tra...

Suzy get well soon!

2014-04-16 1:01 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Hi Gang!

I know it's been a while since I've posted, but I have checked in a couple of times to see how things have been going for you.  Things look VERY positive for the group and I'm happy to see it.  It was hard for me to weigh in since I've been broken.

Had my surgery today.  Surgeon saw exactly what was on the MRI and nothing more.  He cut the bad part, left the good part and told my husband that my knee had no degeneration to speak of.  He was happy and that makes me happy.  I did find out that lateral meniscus surgery is not quite as rapidly healing as the medial side because of the way it situates on the bone so running will take longer to begin (probably six weeks).  Don't have any idea of the exact rehab schedule until I see the surgeon on Monday afternoon at my follow up.  I start some very basic PT on Thursday, get to spin on my bike with no tension on Friday and the rest is a big TBD.  As sad as I've been to miss Boston and all of my early season, today was a step forward.  I am thankful for it.

GREAT!! Now get to rehabbin - but don't do too much too soon

I'm FREEEEEEEE Hope your taxes are done but if not - don't come cryin to me! LOL

AND I graduated from PT today. My leg feels pretty good too. Excited to return to the normal schedule. AND to kick it off right I have Friday-Sunday to do nothing but ride, run, sleep and eat. Oh and we'll probably go see Captain America too.

YAY!

Back to NOT WORKING!

2014-04-16 3:11 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

I know it is only Wednesday but do we have anyone racing this weekend?

Early morning treadmill run, busy day at work and an easy hour on the bike tonight. I'm a "batchelor" until next Tuesday. My wife left today for a trip to Asheville NC with her mother. They are picking up our daughter in Greenville, SC and spending the holiday weekend in Asheville going to the Biltmore, hanging out, shopping and doing a girls trip. So, my days will be spent training, working (as little as possible), lounging on the couch and getting the minimum amount of chores done around the house to make it look like I wasn't a total slacker while she was gone.    

2014-04-16 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by slornow

I know it is only Wednesday but do we have anyone racing this weekend?

Early morning treadmill run, busy day at work and an easy hour on the bike tonight. I'm a "batchelor" until next Tuesday. My wife left today for a trip to Asheville NC with her mother. They are picking up our daughter in Greenville, SC and spending the holiday weekend in Asheville going to the Biltmore, hanging out, shopping and doing a girls trip. So, my days will be spent training, working (as little as possible), lounging on the couch and getting the minimum amount of chores done around the house to make it look like I wasn't a total slacker while she was gone.    

Man am I jealous. I love my family, but those weekends of complete and utter nothing are awesome too.

Today was a half day off for me. Played softball tonight and voluntarily played the OF so I was shagging every ball out there. Got some good sprints in but it was more fun than anything else.
2014-04-16 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy, your wife picked a fine week to visit Greenville and Asheville; the weather looks perfect.

I just finished up my Master's class, followed by a 6 mile run on the treadmill. Both went well; the class was full of relatively slow people tonight, which meant that was faster in comparison. My run afterward felt good, although my legs are definitely still tired after my race on Sunday.

No race for me this weekend; I'll be doing another sprint on May 10, so just some Spring training until then.
2014-04-16 8:46 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

, Georgia
Nathan, Jamie - Glad to hear your races went well!

Suzy - Glad the prognosis is favorable post surgery. Is there a timeline for you to get back to the races as of right now?

Just a few things on my end. First, I told you guys a couple weeks ago about the Athens Criterium I had looked into. I had since decided to not race, but to show up and see what all the hooplah was about. So I'll be taking all of next weekend (not this coming one) completely off. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what our neighbors in the USAC are all about.

Tomorrow, I'm planning on getting out for my first outdoor bike ride since March 8. Generally speaking, my overall output has, to put it bluntly, absolutely sucked since Spring Break; I've done 5 trainer workouts and two runs since spring break started a month ago. Not entirely sure what happened, but my motivation to do jack squat increased and motivation to get things done absolutely tanked. It may be because I don't operate on a schedule, which is really bad news when dealing with time constraints. That's one of many things that has to get rectified over the summer.

There is another ride Friday (might even get out on the streets for the first time and check out the new cycling path near the school), then it's all rest or running through next Wednesday as I prep for and complete final examinations next week.

It'll also be the first time I'm out on the clipless pedals. To say that it's not nervewracking would be lying to you, but I gotta have it happen somehow at some point; the tri in September certainly won't be indoors.

Lastly, is it just me, or is the tri want lists for you all longer than you care to admit? The problem on my end is not getting the stuff, but avoiding all the $$$ that comes with it. I'm for quality, but I'm for cheap too. I'd talk about the contradiction in that statement, but I've got so much math on my brain right now that I might end up trying to prove it's a contradiction. :P

2014-04-16 10:04 PM

User image

Master
Suzy, good to see you on the road to mending and getting back to activity. You'll be back at it in no time!

Randy, that sounds like a lovely weekend. Enjoy!

No race for me! I'm hoping my daughter will participate in a kids tri. Cross your fingers she won't freak out again! If her friend is there it might be easier for her to take off. She's such a shy thing.

I finally got a decent 4 mile run in today. We have the relay in two weeks. I like that we have so much going on with all the different sports! I have zero reasons to sit and get unfit again. ZERO. Even if husband deploys, my son is old enough to watch his sister for a couple hours while I got outside for a workout.

Hoping to hop on the trainer for an hour later.

Have a great evening!
2014-04-17 11:52 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Randy- Enjoy the weekend, nothing wrong with a little Dad time.
I have a 5k Friday evening. I had a bit of an itch earlier in the week to race so I registered for this 5k on a whim. Should be fun.
2014-04-17 12:47 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Bryan--good luck on the clip less pedals. It will be exciting but worth doing. Probably not a bad idea to watch a Crit race before you jump in and do one.

Kevin--have fun with the 5K. Nice to do one last minute so there is not much time to stress about it.

Suzy--I know it is frustrating to lose the first half of your season but it really does sound like a very good prognosis. Rene would be a geoid resource for knee surgery recovery commiseration.

It has been a very low key week for me. Talked about my workout woes and motivational problems with my coach and he gave me a one-workout-a-day, very light training week. It has done wonders for my physical and mental outlook. I needed this.

As usual, work is busy but that is much better than the alternative. I like being busy.
2014-04-17 4:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
A new club member (those of you in Atlanta area may know him...Richard Nasser) was hit by a car this week. He was on a very busy road, one I would never dream of riding on, but.... The driver that hit him was cited in the accident (he failed to yield...made a left hand turn in front of the Richard). He has a broken arm, jaw and facial bones, ruptured his spleen (removed), broke 6 ribs and has a collapsed lung as well as brain bruising. Amazing, he is awake and coherent. Of course, everyone responding to the news story is insane and is making death wishes on all cyclists.

This and last week's death is making me seriously rethink the amount of road riding I do. I may invest in rollers as I really despise my trainer.

Randy....talk to me about the e-motion rollers, please.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-04-17 4:12 PM
2014-04-17 4:48 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

So, my days will be spent training, working (as little as possible), lounging on the couch and getting the minimum amount of chores done around the house to make it look like I wasn't a total slacker while she was gone.    

Randy, glad to know I'm not the only one who does this! This is exactly how I spend my "home alone" weekends too.

Kevin, good luck in your 5K Friday night!

I'm doing the Silicon Valley International Triathlon (Oly distance) on Sunday. It's being held this year in Half Moon Bay (about 20 miles south of San Francisco). The swim is in Pillar Point Harbor, which is right next to the infamous Mavericks surf break. The bike is mostly flat except for a "speed bump" between miles 12 and 13 -- about a 550-foot climb up a canyon. The race organizers say the run is pancake flat, but I'm not believing a word of it. ;-)

2014-04-17 5:26 PM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Master

We're doing  a half marathon in : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZeYDBY4fw

Great race complete with beer garden. It should be a great weekend with good friends, food and beer.  Oh yeah and a little run thrown in there as a way to justify the extra calories.

2014-04-17 7:00 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master
South Alabama

E-Motion rollers. Without a doubt the best piece of triathlon/cycling equipment I have bought. They are rollers with some safety features that make them much easier to ride than traditional rollers.

While there are small bump wheels on the front to keep you going off the side and bars front and rear that keep you from going off the front and back the thing that makes the rollers so much easier to ride is the fact that the frame moves a bit forward and back as you shift your wiegt on the bike. Essentially the roller part is suspended within a solid frame.

That is not to say you can't fall off but it is much easier to learn how to ride these than traditional rollers. The most important thing to remember is to keep pedaling....tha's what keeps you upright....just like riding outside.  I was very comfortable riding these within 10 minutes of getting on them and I had never ridden rollers before. Within 30 minutes I was fully comfortable riding down on the aerobars.  

I still like to ride outside on the weekends but the E-motion rollers give you a true road feel. No need to use a trainer tire. When you want to ride outside just take the bike off the rollers and go. The first set I bought in 2008/2009 and used them for about 15,000 miles. The frame corroded from all the sweat as I never wiped them off or was very good about keeping them clean. In December I got a new set and have been much better about wiping them down. The newer model has some improvements and is available with remote control magnetic resistance. I went with that model...and while pricey @ $895 the ability to change resistance on the fly is great. You can do everything from low cadence/high power intervals to out of the saddle sprints. Basically anything you can do on the roads you can do on the rollers.

My rollers are set up in the garage next to a workbench. DVD/Computer on the workbench for DVD or streaming video. I would always want to have something sturdy next to me to grab hold of if I need to stop. I also have several fans all around to help with cooling. You can really work hard on these things. I use a powermeter for my intervals/rides but you could also use HR or RPE to structure your workouts....or TrainerRoad for that matter. 

The rollers are very well made and are a top quality product. Expensive? Yes, but if you are going to ride alot inside they are an excellent option and will last you many years There are a bunch of reviews at roadbikereview.com http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/training/rollers/inside-ride/emotion-roller-system/prd_401419_2508crx.aspx

Be glad to answer any other questions. There are a bunch of youtube videos with guys doing crazy things on the rollers and many reivews online.

2014-04-17 7:19 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Randy,

Thank you for the extensive review. I just want something that is more similar to the road than what I get with my Cyclops Fluid 2. The fact that it doesn't wear your tire to a nub is a double bonus.

When I look at prices, the basic rollers are $850 plus another $150 for the resistance. Is that right, or does the base model (at $850) already have the resistance aspect installed?

Are they quietish? For example, could I set them up in my home office/gym and get my workout done at 5 a.m. without disturbing my husband in the bedroom down the hallway or would I really need to put them in the garage? I don't have a portable computer/laptop that I could put out there.

I've got a jumping saddle (from my horse days) in the garage that's in really nice condition even though it's 24 years old. Should be able to get close to $700 for it. I'm well on my way.
2014-04-17 7:34 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-looks like you are right....the remote control resistance is an additional $150. The base model will have the same resistance unit but you have to stop to adjust it. That was the case with my original set as well. Frankly, I did not use the magnetic resistance very much the first couple of years. Now I use it fairly regularly since my power has bumped up and the remote is very convenient.

The rollers are very quiet. They really do not create any sound other than the tires rolling. The main noise for me are the fans I use to try to keep cool..    

2014-04-17 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Nancy, that's terrible! We have a "Ride For Life" bike ride coming up, and I'm almost ready to back out of it. Especially after reading about the girl from Australia hitting a guy and saying she just doesn't care because she was upset at the damage to her car from the cyclist HITTING HER CAR.

Rene, that sounds like an awesome race! Enjoy! Have a beer for me!

2014-04-17 10:25 PM
in reply to: Blanda

, Georgia
Originally posted by Blanda

Nancy, that's terrible! We have a "Ride For Life" bike ride coming up, and I'm almost ready to back out of it. Especially after reading about the girl from Australia hitting a guy and saying she just doesn't care because she was upset at the damage to her car from the cyclist HITTING HER CAR.

Go for it Blanda! If it's with a large group, you really don't have much to worry about.

There will always be idiots, but it doesn't mean everyone is like that. While most don't have a clue about cycling laws and regulations in x state, they at least, generally, have the humility to own up to their mistakes...particularly when their actions almost cost another person their life.

They also, generally, will give you the space (even if they get pissed over it).

If you ask me, the sentence she got was too light. 7 month license suspension and a $450 fine. Should've seen some jail-time and community service mixed into that.
2014-04-17 10:41 PM

, Georgia
So a bit of an update for today. I woke up late and it took an hour longer than anticipated to complete an assignment for my 5:30 class. So the bike ride didn't happen. With rain coming tomorrow, the outdoor ride with the new shoes will have to wait until the end of next week when I finally go home. My bike is bailing out tomorrow to conserve space on the main trip home for the summer next week. I will be getting in a trainer ride tomorrow, and I got some new videos from Endurance Films and SufferFest to pick from too.

Sorry, not crazy enough to do ISLAGIATT yet. :P

That being said, I took an hour today and went for a run from my apartment to the school and back. It is unbelievable looking at the numbers. One mile in 12:49 (I never got it into the thirteen range in my life, much less TWELVE!) and every mileage on the chart that I use to track mileage splits got a new PR today; some were even shattered by a margin of 3+ minutes! In addition, I've only ran three times since I got back from spring break and did 3-4 trainer rides.

This is making me wonder if I'm not emphasizing recovery as I should. My output was huge prior to Spring Break, yet it saw little fruit (though I did get some). My output has dropped about 70% since then and I'm making more strides all around than I did in the 10 weeks before going home. I was getting out 3-4 days a week too. This week was the first week in almost 2 1/2 weeks that I've done more than one workout in a week between cycling and running.

Sure, the lack of work may have contributed to my inability to drop my weight below the 230 mark, but as far as performance goes, it's crazy looking at this. I'm kinda wondering if I should take another look at the programs I've been running under and tweaking it a bit to emphasize recovery a bit more beyond the Sundays off.

Obviously, taking rest days every other day would slam the door on making progress in an efficient manner. So, is there effective ways to build in more recovery while still maintaining a decent workout schedule?
2014-04-18 6:48 AM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Nancy that totally sucks. Try not to let it get you down or keep you from doing what you want to do.

Rene - good luck at your HM this weekend.

I'm off today - WOO HOO and am going from 1 day off a week for the last 10 weeks to THREE days off! hhmmmm what to do first?!

Have a good day, a good weekend, and good luck to the racers this weekend!
2014-04-18 7:25 AM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by PhoenixM

So a bit of an update for today. I woke up late and it took an hour longer than anticipated to complete an assignment for my 5:30 class. So the bike ride didn't happen. With rain coming tomorrow, the outdoor ride with the new shoes will have to wait until the end of next week when I finally go home. My bike is bailing out tomorrow to conserve space on the main trip home for the summer next week. I will be getting in a trainer ride tomorrow, and I got some new videos from Endurance Films and SufferFest to pick from too.

Sorry, not crazy enough to do ISLAGIATT yet. :P

That being said, I took an hour today and went for a run from my apartment to the school and back. It is unbelievable looking at the numbers. One mile in 12:49 (I never got it into the thirteen range in my life, much less TWELVE!) and every mileage on the chart that I use to track mileage splits got a new PR today; some were even shattered by a margin of 3+ minutes! In addition, I've only ran three times since I got back from spring break and did 3-4 trainer rides.

This is making me wonder if I'm not emphasizing recovery as I should. My output was huge prior to Spring Break, yet it saw little fruit (though I did get some). My output has dropped about 70% since then and I'm making more strides all around than I did in the 10 weeks before going home. I was getting out 3-4 days a week too. This week was the first week in almost 2 1/2 weeks that I've done more than one workout in a week between cycling and running.

Sure, the lack of work may have contributed to my inability to drop my weight below the 230 mark, but as far as performance goes, it's crazy looking at this. I'm kinda wondering if I should take another look at the programs I've been running under and tweaking it a bit to emphasize recovery a bit more beyond the Sundays off.

Obviously, taking rest days every other day would slam the door on making progress in an efficient manner. So, is there effective ways to build in more recovery while still maintaining a decent workout schedule?

Bryan, just my opinion which is really worth what you're paying for it (nothing), but it seems like you're over thinking it all a bit. It's helpful to be on a schedule and know Monday is this, Tuesday is this, etc, but you're obviously super busy with school, which is understandable, we've all been there, but as you know it doesn't always have a definite "I'll be done by 8, go for a ride at 9" type of schedule to it. It looks like you're making great progress, constantly putting up better times and better efforts which is awesome, I'd just recommend not to worry quite so much about the output and % and recovery times. Just try and get out there for a run//bike/trainer whenever the chance comes up because you never know how crazy the next day is going to be. In my brief experience in the sport just trying to be as consistent as possible and constantly getting out there and doing whatever I can has made a huge difference. Again, just my two cents, I hope it didn't come off as "I know all", because surely I don't and it wasn't intended to be like that.
2014-04-18 8:23 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Master
South Alabama

Bryan-I agree with Jon. Consistency is key. Just try to get a workout in. Every workout does not have to be done with a "PR" in mind or trying to do more than last time. We all have different priorities. If exercising is really important then prioritze it accordingly. If its not, then do it when you have time. I find it is easy to not workout if I don't have a specific workout schedule or goal. What about committing to biking and running a total of "X" number of times a week? If you set a goal of 5X a week then maybe 2 bike rides and 3 run/walk sessions shooting for 30 minutes each. Again, these do not all have to be epic workouts where you bury yourself....just get out and do a nice easy/steady pace. Mix walking into your running....maybe begin with 2 min jog/3 min walk to get to a 30 minute session . Or 4 sessions a week with 2 bike/2 run. With that type of frequency and keeping intensity low you really don't need to worry about rest days as they would essentiall be the days you were not exercising. Trick is doing it. If you don't have 30 minutes to do a run/walk then do 15. There are ups and downs but planning something and sticking to it can be gratifying.  I realize that this over simplifies fitting workouts into a busy life but 2.5 hours of exercise a week, 5X 30 min, is about 1.5% of the total hours in a week.

2014-04-18 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Bryan-I agree with Jon. Consistency is key. Just try to get a workout in. Every workout does not have to be done with a "PR" in mind or trying to do more than last time. We all have different priorities. If exercising is really important then prioritze it accordingly. If its not, then do it when you have time. I find it is easy to not workout if I don't have a specific workout schedule or goal. What about committing to biking and running a total of "X" number of times a week? If you set a goal of 5X a week then maybe 2 bike rides and 3 run/walk sessions shooting for 30 minutes each. Again, these do not all have to be epic workouts where you bury yourself....just get out and do a nice easy/steady pace. Mix walking into your running....maybe begin with 2 min jog/3 min walk to get to a 30 minute session . Or 4 sessions a week with 2 bike/2 run. With that type of frequency and keeping intensity low you really don't need to worry about rest days as they would essentiall be the days you were not exercising. Trick is doing it. If you don't have 30 minutes to do a run/walk then do 15. There are ups and downs but planning something and sticking to it can be gratifying.  I realize that this over simplifies fitting workouts into a busy life but 2.5 hours of exercise a week, 5X 30 min, is about 1.5% of the total hours in a week.

What he said. I think it's really easy to overthink all of this, with PRs, LTs, Recovery, etc. The only time I ever really compare workouts is on a year-to-year basis; I will look at last year and see how I compare, but there are so many factors that go into performance on a daily or weekly basis that I think it's best to save PR's for races. Training is where the work is done; some days will feel good and you'll have no idea why, and the same goes for bad days. Get in the workouts you plan, recover, repeat. Then race and try to PR there.

For me, I might be taking a day off. My left calf is really feeling it after last Sunday's HM; I haven't injured anything, but there is definitely soreness that hasn't gone away. I've gotten in a good week, and I have a long bike and run planned this weekend, so I might just swim and not run. On another note, I got some good news yesterday; most on here should know that I have a girlfriend in TN, and we decided awhile ago that our relationship would be easier if we lived in the same town (duh), and I got a phone call to set up an interview with a really great school in her town. I'm Skyping with them on Tuesday, so I'm really looking forward to that!
2014-04-18 9:28 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-congrats on the new job possibility. It would be hard to find a nicer place to live than Greenville....but sometimes there are other reasons to consider a move.  

2014-04-18 9:33 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

For me, I might be taking a day off. My left calf is really feeling it after last Sunday's HM; I haven't injured anything, but there is definitely soreness that hasn't gone away. I've gotten in a good week, and I have a long bike and run planned this weekend, so I might just swim and not run. On another note, I got some good news yesterday; most on here should know that I have a girlfriend in TN, and we decided awhile ago that our relationship would be easier if we lived in the same town (duh), and I got a phone call to set up an interview with a really great school in her town. I'm Skyping with them on Tuesday, so I'm really looking forward to that!

good luck!
The best thing about skype is you can be wearing a suit jacket and tie....and pj bottoms
2014-04-18 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Jamie-congrats on the new job possibility. It would be hard to find a nicer place to live than Greenville....but sometimes there are other reasons to consider a move.  

Yep, I love Greenville, and wouldn't move unless there was a good reason...which, in this case, there is! We talked about it, and it's just a lot easier for me to pick up and move than her. Some benefits: she has a good tri-team, the Memphis Thunder, good barbecue (I've never loved Carolina bbq with mustard and vinegar), lots of good roads for riding, and it's a new place where I've never lived. Also, of course, she's pretty cool and lives there, lol.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.