BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2014-02-25 7:16 AM
in reply to: lsousa

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY
It's been a long cold winter here. Short trip to Aruba revitalized me a bit, but I came back to a foot of hard icy snow and more treadmill running. Finally FINALLY got back on the roads last week and it felt good.

This morning was tough. About 25F but dry and no wind. I don't know why but I could not get myself into gear this morning and started very late. Thankfully I have a court appearance this morning so my day starts later. I also managed to dress just right foot the temp so when I got outside I was cold and asking myself what the heck I was doing! I actually won the argument and started running.

Had a nice six mile run in the cold which was enjoyable except for the balaclava - I needed it but it restricted my breathing enough to be annoying.

I have 18 mile or so to go for 100 miles in February but I think I will come up just short this month. But with a half marathon on Saturday and training ramping up for my may marathon, I think I will hit 100 in March and April.

Good luck guys and here's to warmer weather

2014-02-25 8:03 AM
in reply to: bwingate

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
i was on Winter break from school last week so I was doing a bunch of work around the house.

I did some untraditional training!!

Snowshoeing & XC skiing it was fun

i got in a couple of runs and NOW its a 10 week focus to get ready for my F1 Duathlon on MAy 10th.

Lots of interval and track running & POWER Bike workouts!!!!

OUCH
2014-02-28 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Whats everyone have on tap for this weekend?

Its been NASTY in NY so training has been hindered. Hoping to get back aftyer it this week!!
2014-02-28 10:51 AM
in reply to: triguy1043

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by triguy1043

Whats everyone have on tap for this weekend?

Its been NASTY in NY so training has been hindered. Hoping to get back aftyer it this week!!

The really cold winter has put a damper on my training. Typically we do not get and stay cold for so long on Long Island. But we have had weeks where it was in the low twenties and colder. This has really derailed a lot of my running

To really put a cherry on top - I have a half marathon in my old neighborhood in Brooklyn tomorrow. Its where I ran to train for my first marathon a long time ago. When its warmer, its beautiful - its the path along the water alongside the Belt Parkway. "Beautiful" - it does not challenge the sights out West, but its pretty along the water and it is a four or five mile stretch without any cross traffic.

Tomorrow morning, it could be between 25 and 35 degrees with wind and spray coming off the water. There are often horizontal icicles on the railings. So it will likely be cold, wet and icy. I can almost deal with that - I'm 'up' for the race and have most of the gear needed to keep relatively warm and dry while running. Next problem: standing around before and after the race. They recommend taking mass transit, which makes sense because parking will be a bear, but that means spending a lot of time standing around waiting for the train, subway and then race and then a lot of time being wet and sweaty waiting for the subway and train. God help anyone on the train with me - I'll be ripe! I am hoping they have a bag check - just sent an e-mail to find out.

I am so psyched for this race too. I might pay for it afterwards, but I am going to go for it.

Race report to follow.
2014-03-03 6:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
Saturday's half-marathon went well. Not great, but good enough. I'm going to try to do a regular race report, but here is my synopsis:

Frozen Penguin Half Marathon, Shore Road Park, Bay Ridge Brooklyn
Time: 1:59:52
Place OA: 169 out of 326
Place AG: 25 out of 36

It was cold but not too terribly cold - maybe low thirties when the race started and a slight headwind on the out part of the out-and-back loop. I took mass transit to the race which added some anxiety but was better than hunting around for parking. I did however arrive "late." I got to the starting line only 15 minutes before the race started - I was confused with start times and thought the race would start at 10:30, not the real time of 10:00. I struggled to get stuff out of my backpack, change and then get to the starting line. I decided not to wear my Fuel Belt - big mistake.

This was a small race - even smaller than I thought. It was a bit of a relief to have a small field and a course that clears out within a half mile.I also knew that the cold weather would scare away some of the volunteers. That's why I brought the hydration belt. I was right too - either through misfortune or design, there were only 3 water stops along the course (maybe 4). It was just water and it was COLD water. I cannot drink really cold liquids during a run - it stings too much. I was really hoping for water at least every two miles.

The course was a flat out-and-back double loop: 4.8 miles and 8.4 miles each. And flat - I do not think there was more than 5 feet of elevation change. This is also the path that I trained for the '97 NYC Marathon on mostly. It was a rough asphalt path back then but the Parks Department has repaved and widened the path - it is pretty nice now. It was also open to the public but that was limited to a few walkers, fishermen and one roller blader. No vehicle traffic at all.

My performance was OK. Based on my pacing, I should have come in closer to 1:55 or 1:56, but at mile 11, I ran out of steam a bit. Probably a combination of lack of fluids and lack of longer run training, especially outdoors. So at mile 11, I walked a minute and ran a half mile and repeated that about 3 times.

What would I do different for next time: Bring my Fuel Belt no matter what - the lack of fluids and a little sugar hurt me in the end (I drank like a fish for the rest of the day and did not pee until after dinner) And next winter I have to get outside for long runs. Time to bring back screw shoes (homemade cleats)so that I can get traction and get outside. I'll also have to HTFU and deal with the cold better. And, I have to train more consistently - my training weeks have been too up and down. For March, I joined a Strava challenge for training mileage - that should help motivate me to get outside.

Here's to better weather - we should hit 40 by the end of the week!!
2014-03-04 5:21 AM

Extreme Veteran
It is 13F outside. That's crazy cold.

Time to figure out a workout for the treadmill tonight.

At least it is supposed to hit the forties by the weekend.

2014-03-11 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by bwingate

Saturday's half-marathon went well. Not great, but good enough. I'm going to try to do a regular race report, but here is my synopsis:

Frozen Penguin Half Marathon, Shore Road Park, Bay Ridge Brooklyn
Time: 1:59:52
Place OA: 169 out of 326
Place AG: 25 out of 36

It was cold but not too terribly cold - maybe low thirties when the race started and a slight headwind on the out part of the out-and-back loop. I took mass transit to the race which added some anxiety but was better than hunting around for parking. I did however arrive "late." I got to the starting line only 15 minutes before the race started - I was confused with start times and thought the race would start at 10:30, not the real time of 10:00. I struggled to get stuff out of my backpack, change and then get to the starting line. I decided not to wear my Fuel Belt - big mistake.

This was a small race - even smaller than I thought. It was a bit of a relief to have a small field and a course that clears out within a half mile.I also knew that the cold weather would scare away some of the volunteers. That's why I brought the hydration belt. I was right too - either through misfortune or design, there were only 3 water stops along the course (maybe 4). It was just water and it was COLD water. I cannot drink really cold liquids during a run - it stings too much. I was really hoping for water at least every two miles.

The course was a flat out-and-back double loop: 4.8 miles and 8.4 miles each. And flat - I do not think there was more than 5 feet of elevation change. This is also the path that I trained for the '97 NYC Marathon on mostly. It was a rough asphalt path back then but the Parks Department has repaved and widened the path - it is pretty nice now. It was also open to the public but that was limited to a few walkers, fishermen and one roller blader. No vehicle traffic at all.

My performance was OK. Based on my pacing, I should have come in closer to 1:55 or 1:56, but at mile 11, I ran out of steam a bit. Probably a combination of lack of fluids and lack of longer run training, especially outdoors. So at mile 11, I walked a minute and ran a half mile and repeated that about 3 times.

What would I do different for next time: Bring my Fuel Belt no matter what - the lack of fluids and a little sugar hurt me in the end (I drank like a fish for the rest of the day and did not pee until after dinner) And next winter I have to get outside for long runs. Time to bring back screw shoes (homemade cleats)so that I can get traction and get outside. I'll also have to HTFU and deal with the cold better. And, I have to train more consistently - my training weeks have been too up and down. For March, I joined a Strava challenge for training mileage - that should help motivate me to get outside.

Here's to better weather - we should hit 40 by the end of the week!!

Great 1/2 Marathon!!!
2014-03-12 8:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
Two days so for this week with outside running. So nice to be outside, with the mounds of snow melting so that I can get a bit closer to the curb and not have to stray out into traffic. And with all the sand at the side of the road its like running on an old cinder track.

I'm doing Strava's 10k challenge, so I modified my usual morning route to add .3 miles so that its just over 10k. The challenges are stupid and worthless but it keeps me moving and outside because treadmill miles do not count. And I'm always in the middle of these things, but it at least gives me something to shoot for.

Tomorrow morning will be another "artic vortex" - have to see if I'm outside tomorrow or not.

2014-03-12 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Yesterday I race in a long sleeve shirt

Today we are getting 10-16 inches of snow ICKY!!!
2014-03-13 8:43 AM

User image

, Lisboa
I'm finally starting to get some nice weather, this week it has been around 60F average without clouds, awesome! I was really missing sun, since the beginning of the year that we had rain/clouds almost every single day!

This weekend I'm having an half marathon, I wasn't keen on doing it, but I won an entry ticket on a contest two weeks ago so I'll do it. I'm not sure on what my time expectations should be, I was sidelined on the last two weeks of February with a cold, and honestly I still feel my running form hasn't returned, I'll probably try to stay close to a pace maker and try to hang on until the end.
2014-03-18 12:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by lsousa

I'm finally starting to get some nice weather, this week it has been around 60F average without clouds, awesome! I was really missing sun, since the beginning of the year that we had rain/clouds almost every single day!

This weekend I'm having an half marathon, I wasn't keen on doing it, but I won an entry ticket on a contest two weeks ago so I'll do it. I'm not sure on what my time expectations should be, I was sidelined on the last two weeks of February with a cold, and honestly I still feel my running form hasn't returned, I'll probably try to stay close to a pace maker and try to hang on until the end.

How did the half marathon go? We are still waiting on the good weather. The sun is really reluctant to come out

2014-03-18 12:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by lsousa

How did the half marathon go? We are still waiting on the good weather. The sun is really reluctant to come out
2014-03-18 6:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Lisboa
Hi,

My half marathon could've been better, but I'm still pleased with the result.

24th Lisbon Half Marathon
Time: 1:32:36

As I've said before, I haven't done many long runs on the last few weeks, but my 10k pace has been improving a lot. The previous HM I've done I took 1:38 and my 10k at that moment was around 44mins, now my 10k is 39/40mins, so I was a little curious to see how I could handle the 13 miles. Using the McMillan running calculator, with my 10k time I could do just below 1h30, so I set this as my goal, I knew it was quite hard, but I wanted to try.

The weather on the racing day was good, around 70F without clouds, but a little windy. For this race there were almost 10000 entries, it is the biggest HM in Portugal. I've arrived 1 hour before the race, but there was already a significant number of participants between me and the start.

My plan was to find the 1h30 pacemaker, and hold on as long as I could. Race starts. With so many runners, I took almost 1 minute to pass trough the start, and after that I've been going hard and try to catch the pacemaker, I eventually catch it on km5, but I was going too hard until that point, I've done just slight above 19mins on these first 5kms. I managed to hold on until km16, and those last 5kms were probably the hardest I've done, at this point was clear that I went way too fast and my goal was too ambitious, from this point I had to stop and walk a few meters each km, but still managed to PR and finish in 1:32.

From now on I really need to make my long run longer, two days after the race and my quads are still quite sore, lol, I can barely walk down stairs!

Meanwhile, there was a guy there that did the HM in 1h26 with his shorts only...

Edited by lsousa 2014-03-18 6:39 PM
2014-03-31 8:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
Had a very hilly 15k on Saturday. It was cool but not cold. Well maybe any other spring I would have said 40F was cold, but it was balmy compared to everything we have put up with so far.

I met a friend of mine for the race and we did the first 8 miles together and then I drifted back a little and he drifted ahead some. Now this race has two "halves" a really hilly 10k and an average 5k. Normally hills knock the lesser runners on their butts and you can tell who has not trained, but since this is a longer race early in the year, its mostly the better and/or more determined runners who come out so there were very few walkers. I can also tell there are better runners here because I usually place just below the top third in races and I this one I am just out of the top half.

So its hilly. There is a mile long hill that somebody tried psyching my friend out about (or preparing him - I guess it depends on your perspective). Its a tough hill because its long but its not too steep overall. Up we went with no problem. It was long. It was hard. It slowed us down. But we just plugged away at it.

Overall, I nice race with a great hoodie sweatshirt.

Oh, and this morning it snowed. Cr@p.
2014-04-02 11:34 AM

User image

, Lisboa
15k with hills sound harsh I never liked running on hills, but on the last year I started having some fun on hilly races, it may be because I disable the chip on my brain that tells me I should try to PR (obviously I won't on a hilly race) and just enjoy the run. On bike however, although I suffer and struggl A LOT with hills, I really enjoy them

Over here we keep getting rain on almost every weekend :/ I might pull out of my first HIM (3/May) since I haven't done any open water swimming yet (with my schedule I can only do it over the weekend and the weather hasn't been good for swimming outdoor).
Meanwhile I'm also on the process of joining a local tri club, mostly because this way I can go with them on the open water swims I'm not comfortable to swim alone on the river
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.