BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2014-01-07 2:08 PM
in reply to: bwingate

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Subject: RE: Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY
Originally posted by bwingate

Originally posted by triguy1043

Thats cool I any in Central NY and orgainze 3 triathlons at a duathlon on Central NY if you are intretested. ATC Endurance check out our website its only in registration mode right now. but this is our 5th year of putting on races. WE get alot of NYC people at our Cooperstown race.

How flexible are your hours is it easy for training?

My days are long - I have been going to the gym at night, but that means I might not be eating dinner until after 9 p.m. I am on a 7:15 train into the city in the morning. I am trying to shift my training back to mornings, but with this cold its just not going to happen. My lower limit is 15F for running.

I have to check out your tri's later - I did a quick look and all the dates are for last year.

Here's a link to this years dates

http://rorilio.wordpress.com/

2014-01-07 2:10 PM
in reply to: lsousa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by lsousa

what 1/2 IM are you planning on doing? and when is it? my 1/2 IM is not till Aug 31st so I am in a outseason stage just working on building BIKE Power and Running speed!

I'm planning on doing the Lisboa Triathlon on May 3rd ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXEmT7w7qeY), I'm still undecided between HIM or Olympic distance, mainly because of my (lack of) swimming skills, but I'll be training for an HIM until then.

The things is, there are very few HIM in Portugal to choose from, and this one in particular is around 2 miles from home and I usually do my runs on this area, so I already know the course pretty well. It's also one (if not the most) easiest HIM in Portugal, quite flat and the swim is in a kind of artificial lake. Because of this, I'm preparing for an HIM there, and I don't really want to wait another year to do so if I can do it now =)

This will be my first HIM, so I'm not in it for time, but to finish it

I love the 1/2 IM distance (I call it the POWER race)
I am waiting for Don Finks new 1/2 IM book to come out this week I used his IronFit program for IM Lake Placid andf loved it
2014-01-07 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4915057

Extreme Veteran
You know it's funny, I think the Olympic distance is the POWER distance. Long enough that you have to think about what you are planning on doing, but short enough to require real effort to do well (as opposed to mostly stamina and grit)

2014-01-08 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

You know it's funny, I think the Olympic distance is the POWER distance. Long enough that you have to think about what you are planning on doing, but short enough to require real effort to do well (as opposed to mostly stamina and grit)

Olympic is a very intense race Almost top HR's the whole way

1/2 IM I consider more power in the fact that you must sustain a effort for such a long time
2014-01-08 9:18 AM
in reply to: triguy1043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
What is everyone watching to get through thier Trainer session?

I am thinking of getting some Sufferfest videos!!
2014-01-08 10:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Lisboa
This is my first tri season, so I can't say for sure yet, but I think Oly distance will be my favorite, and I'm pretty sure I can handle that distance with my current form, but since I'm always looking for challenges and won't be competitive in either, I'm going for the HIM, I still want to finish it below 6 hours (assuming good weather conditions).

On the trainer I started using some Sufferfest videos and they are really great, but since I'm now following a training plan I just look at my (virtual) power numbers to be on target, I just watch TV. But I definitely recommend the Sufferfest videos! You can check one of my training sessions just to see how the power fluctuates during the workout: http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/567601-Sufferfest-Angels

Edited by lsousa 2014-01-08 10:12 AM

2014-01-08 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

This is my first tri season, so I can't say for sure yet, but I think Oly distance will be my favorite, and I'm pretty sure I can handle that distance with my current form, but since I'm always looking for challenges and won't be competitive in either, I'm going for the HIM, I still want to finish it below 6 hours (assuming good weather conditions).

On the trainer I started using some Sufferfest videos and they are really great, but since I'm now following a training plan I just look at my (virtual) power numbers to be on target, I just watch TV. But I definitely recommend the Sufferfest videos! You can check one of my training sessions just to see how the power fluctuates during the workout: http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/567601-Sufferfest-Angels

how does the trainer road Power work?

I do not have a power meter or any sensors on my bike
2014-01-08 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Lisboa

how does the trainer road Power work?

I do not have a power meter or any sensors on my bike

You just need a compatible trainer ( check http://www.trainerroad.com/equipment-checker) and a speed/cadencer sensor. I'm using the ant+ usb dongle that came with my garmin and bough a cheap speed/cadencer ant+ sensor. I think the virtual power values aren't really accurate, but at least they are consistent.

What they are doing is calculating your virtual power based on speed.

Edited by lsousa 2014-01-08 12:25 PM
2014-01-08 12:42 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by triguy1043 What is everyone watching to get through thier Trainer session? I am thinking of getting some Sufferfest videos!!

Nothing. I find watching something is too distracting for me.  Instead, I listen to music over my IPOD, occasionally check the output on the CT and crank out whatever workout is on the plan.  This time of year my rides are never longer than 2:00-2:30 so it's very doable.  Same strategy on the treadmill.

2014-01-08 1:21 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by triguy1043 What is everyone watching to get through thier Trainer session? I am thinking of getting some Sufferfest videos!!

Nothing. I find watching something is too distracting for me.  Instead, I listen to music over my IPOD, occasionally check the output on the CT and crank out whatever workout is on the plan.  This time of year my rides are never longer than 2:00-2:30 so it's very doable.  Same strategy on the treadmill.

I would have to agree

At this pooint of the year my bike workouts look more like swim workouts

Z4 for 4 min
Easy spin / Rest 6 min
70 RPM for 5 mins

4x1 min on min rest

ETC!!!
2014-01-09 6:07 AM

Extreme Veteran

I bought a trainer, Sufferfest videos and subscribed to Trainer Road in the hope that I would use them to increase my bike. Just hasn't happened consistently yet. I find the trainer dreadfully boring. To get through an hour or 45 minute session, its Breaking Bad, music and watching the green line to stay "in the zone" Funny thing is that I can do 90 minutes on the treadmill without any problems.

I have been horribly inconsistent in my running due to work and family issues (nothing bad just day-to-day stuff) that trying to put anything else in is almost overwhelming. I think once I settle into a better running routine, I will be able to add in the trainer (and then outdoor biking) a little at a time.

2014-01-09 6:15 AM

Extreme Veteran

1/2 IM I consider more power in the fact that you must sustain a effort for such a long time

i think we are at different ends of the spectrum, but I know what you are saying. I think the 1/2 marathon is the perfect distance. Its long enough to be a real accomplishment but not so long that you finish beat up and worn out for a week. With decent training you probably could just "do" a half at almost any time but with pushing and training you can really nail it and push the entire way through. But with a 10K you have to really push the whole way through to do well - almost like a sprint.

But you can look in other forums where people are strugglng to finish a 5k without walking and to them a 10k is so far up the hill they can't even comprehend it
2014-01-09 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

i think we are at different ends of the spectrum, but I know what you are saying. I think the 1/2 marathon is the perfect distance. Its long enough to be a real accomplishment but not so long that you finish beat up and worn out for a week. With decent training you probably could just "do" a half at almost any time but with pushing and training you can really nail it and push the entire way through. But with a 10K you have to really push the whole way through to do well - almost like a sprint.

But you can look in other forums where people are strugglng to finish a 5k without walking and to them a 10k is so far up the hill they can't even comprehend it

I think its all prespective!!!
2014-01-09 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Good workout last night!!!

40 min trainer ride

10 MIn WU
3x5min Hard 5 min easy

Followed buy a 3 mile trainstion run on the DREADMILL

The bad thing is my Garmin 910 XT HR starp is not working so I had no HR the whole time
Anyone know how to fix this can I replace the battery?
2014-01-10 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
yesterday was a much needed rest day after working out after going 10 day straight!!

Tonight I have a 5 mile aerobic run

Tommorrow I am set to downhill ski with my kids and I have to get in a 45 min ride

Sunday is a 7-9 mile LSD run

Whats everyone else have on tap this weekend?
2014-01-10 8:30 AM

User image

, Lisboa
On the weekends I usually run with a local running club, we usually do 5 miles tempo on Saturdays, and a longer easy run on Sundays. I'm planing on doing an easy 90min ride outdoor, but it will depend on weather. I love to run while raining, but on the other hand I hate to ride with rain.

By the way, how did you set your HR Zones? Do you use the Garmin defaults zones? If not, which %/zones are you using?

2014-01-10 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

On the weekends I usually run with a local running club, we usually do 5 miles tempo on Saturdays, and a longer easy run on Sundays. I'm planing on doing an easy 90min ride outdoor, but it will depend on weather. I love to run while raining, but on the other hand I hate to ride with rain.

By the way, how did you set your HR Zones? Do you use the Garmin defaults zones? If not, which %/zones are you using?

I do not use Gramin defaults

I did a 30 min trainer max test and a 5K min Run Max Test

I only used 3 zones in the past as I was IM tarining and there i was doing very like Z4 and above stuff.

For my IM zones

I took my max HR and subtracted 15 bpm to get your TH, then set the bottom of Z1 at 86% of my TH.

This year I may change to 4- 5 zones as I am doing 1/2 IM and below racing and plan on doing more intesty work then when IM training.

2014-01-10 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
HOPE EVERYONE IS TRAINING HARD !!!

THERES NO CHATTER ON HERE!!
2014-01-11 2:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Treadmill run this morning. It was warm enough to run outside but I decided to do some hill and speed work. Did 36 minutes for a hill workout and then did the 5k program (finished in 27:55)

If things go right tomorrow will be nine LSD miles.

I am a little upset though -the Central Park Half Marathon sold out too fast for me to get in. There is a full Marathon but there is no way I will be ready for that by late February. I did find a half marathon right by my old neighborhood in Brooklyn in April that I will probably do.
2014-01-11 4:51 PM

I bike at the gym and it's usually around 8pm so usually Family Guy or Big Bang Theory. After a while I forget that not everyone around me is also watching it and laugh loudly and get a bunch of weird stares. It's awesome! haha

By the way, if you guys have sore legs from the previous few days... do you change anything in your workout of the day or go at it as much as you can?

Cheers,

Mike
2014-01-12 1:29 PM

User image

, Lisboa
Yestarday I did a 5 miles tempo run and cycled around 30 miles (with 3x20 Z3).
Today was time for an easy 9 miles run.

Mike, usually when I'm sore I don't go so hard on the next day (no speedwork), but I still do workout.

2014-01-13 6:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cold run this morning - just below freezing but not too windy so it was pretty nice once I warmed up a bit. Over dressed a bit too, so I started to get uncomfortable towards the end of the 3 mile run. I will get the layers perfectly figured out just in time for spring.

This morning's stray thought while running: Another thread on BT has a guy similar in age and ability trying to break 4 hours for a marathon (so far, a doppelgänger for me) with a best 5k time of 21:xx (my best 5k: 23:xx, if I ran one now, I could probably do it in 25:xx) In order for him to run a 4 hour marathon, the general consensus and the McMillan running calculator put his running at 70 miles per week.

70 miles per week . . . . I could not figure out how to get that many miles in. Assuming I can work up to running 6 days a week without getting injured and that I have the time and willpower to run 6 days a week, a non-peak week would work out to: Long run 15-18; Medium run: 12; Now I have 4 runs to cover 40-43 miles, or 10-11 miles each. That's just rough. Even assuming a long run of 20 and medium run of 15, that is still 4 9 mile runs a week. That's a big commitment and I just can't see doing it, at least not this year. (My best month last year was about 135 miles)

Right now I want to follow Higdon's beginner 2 plan, but I am having trouble committing the time to it. I have set my priorities and running and tri's are lower than a lot of things right now. I think I have to just lay out my training plan to make sure I can comfortably finish a May marathon without being terribly beat up.

So now the round about question: I run between 25 and 30 miles a week and would like to get that up to 40-50 miles per week. What does everyone else do, about, and what are your goals?
2014-01-13 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by bwingate Cold run this morning - just below freezing but not too windy so it was pretty nice once I warmed up a bit. Over dressed a bit too, so I started to get uncomfortable towards the end of the 3 mile run. I will get the layers perfectly figured out just in time for spring. This morning's stray thought while running: Another thread on BT has a guy similar in age and ability trying to break 4 hours for a marathon (so far, a doppelgänger for me) with a best 5k time of 21:xx (my best 5k: 23:xx, if I ran one now, I could probably do it in 25:xx) In order for him to run a 4 hour marathon, the general consensus and the McMillan running calculator put his running at 70 miles per week. 70 miles per week . . . . I could not figure out how to get that many miles in. Assuming I can work up to running 6 days a week without getting injured and that I have the time and willpower to run 6 days a week, a non-peak week would work out to: Long run 15-18; Medium run: 12; Now I have 4 runs to cover 40-43 miles, or 10-11 miles each. That's just rough. Even assuming a long run of 20 and medium run of 15, that is still 4 9 mile runs a week. That's a big commitment and I just can't see doing it, at least not this year. (My best month last year was about 135 miles) Right now I want to follow Higdon's beginner 2 plan, but I am having trouble committing the time to it. I have set my priorities and running and tri's are lower than a lot of things right now. I think I have to just lay out my training plan to make sure I can comfortably finish a May marathon without being terribly beat up. So now the round about question: I run between 25 and 30 miles a week and would like to get that up to 40-50 miles per week. What does everyone else do, about, and what are your goals? [/QUOTE

I have a few thoughts here, but first:  Is this your first marathon?  is your goal to break four hours?

1. I wouldn't try to predict a marathon off of a 5K.  The distances and systems used are so different.  I am a much better long distance runner than short distance.  If I used the Mcmillan Calculator off of my best 10K, my marathon would be slower than I am capable of running.  What is your strength?

2.  I started running about 10 years ago and even then I didn't use miles per week as a way to determine the outcome of my marathons.  As a beginner, trying to run 70mpw would be crazy, especially as a triathlete.  It sets you up for injury before you get to the start line.  It took me several years to build to that kind of mileage and even then I was ONLY a runner.  I didn't swim and I didn't bike on top of it.

3.  40-50 miles per week may be reasonable, but I would pick a plan and follow it based on what you think you can handle, varying the types of runs to work various systems.   I wouldn't randomly add runs of varying distances to get to a total.  Stress on the body with little purpose.  All of my runs then and now have a reason for being (e.g. recovery to Tempo to long run).  If you're having time issues already, adding more mileage is just more stress.

For what it is worth, I ran my best marathon time ever in '13 on far less mileage than I used to run.  And I hadn't run a stand alone marathon since '09. I really think finding the right plan with the right runs is the most important thing you can do.

2014-01-13 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida

When I have to use my trainer, I usually grab the remote and watch recorded TV shows and do intervals through the commercials. Or I break out the TdF stage videos from various races throughout the years, even if most of them were doping, it is good motivation!

2014-01-13 9:57 AM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by bwingate Cold run this morning - just below freezing but not too windy so it was pretty nice once I warmed up a bit. Over dressed a bit too, so I started to get uncomfortable towards the end of the 3 mile run. I will get the layers perfectly figured out just in time for spring. This morning's stray thought while running: Another thread on BT has a guy similar in age and ability trying to break 4 hours for a marathon (so far, a doppelgänger for me) with a best 5k time of 21:xx (my best 5k: 23:xx, if I ran one now, I could probably do it in 25:xx) In order for him to run a 4 hour marathon, the general consensus and the McMillan running calculator put his running at 70 miles per week. 70 miles per week . . . . I could not figure out how to get that many miles in. Assuming I can work up to running 6 days a week without getting injured and that I have the time and willpower to run 6 days a week, a non-peak week would work out to: Long run 15-18; Medium run: 12; Now I have 4 runs to cover 40-43 miles, or 10-11 miles each. That's just rough. Even assuming a long run of 20 and medium run of 15, that is still 4 9 mile runs a week. That's a big commitment and I just can't see doing it, at least not this year. (My best month last year was about 135 miles) Right now I want to follow Higdon's beginner 2 plan, but I am having trouble committing the time to it. I have set my priorities and running and tri's are lower than a lot of things right now. I think I have to just lay out my training plan to make sure I can comfortably finish a May marathon without being terribly beat up. So now the round about question: I run between 25 and 30 miles a week and would like to get that up to 40-50 miles per week. What does everyone else do, about, and what are your goals?

I have a few thoughts here, but first:  Is this your first marathon?  is your goal to break four hours?

1. I wouldn't try to predict a marathon off of a 5K.  The distances and systems used are so different.  I am a much better long distance runner than short distance.  If I used the Mcmillan Calculator off of my best 10K, my marathon would be slower than I am capable of running.  What is your strength?

2.  I started running about 10 years ago and even then I didn't use miles per week as a way to determine the outcome of my marathons.  As a beginner, trying to run 70mpw would be crazy, especially as a triathlete.  It sets you up for injury before you get to the start line.  It took me several years to build to that kind of mileage and even then I was ONLY a runner.  I didn't swim and I didn't bike on top of it.

3.  40-50 miles per week may be reasonable, but I would pick a plan and follow it based on what you think you can handle, varying the types of runs to work various systems.   I wouldn't randomly add runs of varying distances to get to a total.  Stress on the body with little purpose.  All of my runs then and now have a reason for being (e.g. recovery to Tempo to long run).  If you're having time issues already, adding more mileage is just more stress.

For what it is worth, I ran my best marathon time ever in '13 on far less mileage than I used to run.  And I hadn't run a stand alone marathon since '09. I really think finding the right plan with the right runs is the most important thing you can do.

This will be my 6th marathon. Except for my first (5:08) and one where it was HOT (4:30), all the others were right around 4:05-4:15. Based on my last 1/2 marathon, my marathon time should be right around 4:15. My main goal is the break 4 hours.

I know that I have to pick a plan - it will probably be Higdon because that's what I used before.

I was just curious about other's training levels.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.