BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-03-28 4:50 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Exercise is no panacea

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by DJP_19 Looking at Queenzipp's numbers, I realize just how much of a slacker I really am. Way to go, Judi.

She ALWAYS is consistent and inspiring. ALWAYS.

Thanks.

Feeling kind of out of things today.  Decided to skip tomorrows 10K even though it is my favorite race.  Just don't have the heart to do it to say I did this year.  Trusting my heart will let me know what I need to do and when for a while.

2014-03-30 7:47 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Exercise is no panacea
This week's numbers:

weight loss of .6 = 6pts
no gain bonus = 5 pts
305 workout mins = 10

Total for this week = 21 pts

This coming week will be a bit light on training for me, but not on fun. Heading north to join my son (and my dog!) for two days of hunting snow geese.

I'm sure I'll have to endure quite a bit of good natured ribbing as he devours cheeseburgers and all the girl scout cookies my wife has packed in the birthday gift box I"m delivering to him.

2014-03-30 9:43 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE:Challenge update

2 weeks challenge update:

Wt= 1 pound gain  --MINUS 10

exercise points 539 minutes = 17.96

----------------------------------------------------

total               7.96 points

2014-03-30 5:49 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Missouri

no weight change - +5
232 workout minutes - +7.73
total of 12.73

2014-03-30 8:17 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Weight Loss - minus 2.8 pounds - 28 points

No Gain - 5 points

Workout - 280 minutes - much needed recovery week - 9.3 points

Total - 42.3 points

I have gotten tired of seeing little to no weight loss, week after week.  My wife and I started Atkins Phase I again on Thursday.  Just three days and already seeing a steady decline on the scale.  Now that I have re-focused on proper eating, maybe I can finally make the progress that has been eluding me for so long.

2014-03-30 8:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Sorry!  Double post.  LOVE when servers burp like that!

Edited by k9car363 2014-03-30 8:19 PM

2014-03-31 7:43 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Wow, my worst week EVER!

2 points workout

1 pound gained = -10

-8 for the week.

DANG!

The good news is I can only get better from here.

2014-03-31 8:25 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Regular
Newport News
No loss or gain = +5
Workout 637 min = +21
Total =26

First Triof season this week, Saturday.
2014-03-31 11:29 AM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Hi James,

No change in weight = 0 + 5 point bonus = 5
210 min training = 7 points
Total = 12 points

Thanks as always for compiling these, James. Much appreciated. Has definitely helped keep me honest recently.

Done with my 3 week Bermuda Triangle of training. Hope to get three solid weeks in before my next trip, but not facing anything quite as daunting as these past 3 weeks (knock on wood). Plus, the weather should be improving now... one.would.hope. I feel very fortunate not to have gained any weight during this stretch (though I fear I have been trading muscle for fat... will soon find out).

Got home around 2am on Saturday morning. Up at 5 something to run our local 10 mile race. My time was horrid (9 min/mi pace), but glad to have done the race. One of my favorite events and an important touchstone for the year.

Hope everyone has a great week of training!

Cheers,
Stu
2014-03-31 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by k9car363

Weight Loss - minus 2.8 pounds - 28 points

No Gain - 5 points

Workout - 280 minutes - much needed recovery week - 9.3 points

Total - 42.3 points

I have gotten tired of seeing little to no weight loss, week after week.  My wife and I started Atkins Phase I again on Thursday.  Just three days and already seeing a steady decline on the scale.  Now that I have re-focused on proper eating, maybe I can finally make the progress that has been eluding me for so long.

Atkins can definitely shed the weight quickly. Don't be hard on yourself if training isn't quite up to par as you cut back on the carbs. But the difference lower weight will make in the running is going to really help!
2014-03-31 12:09 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Dropped a half pound this week from 160.5 to 160...at least according to my crappy scale. I'm getting dialed in on race weight so hopefully I can keep it down as I moved towards the taper week.

I'll have one last track workout tomorrow night. I'll post up the workout in case you're interested.

Weight : 5 half pound lost, 5 for no change = 10
Workout: 10.5 hours = 21 points

TOTAL = 31

Happy Training!

Steve

2014-03-31 4:59 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Regular
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

First Triof season this week, Saturday.

Good luck this Saturday!
2014-03-31 9:36 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple . . . My time was horrid (9 min/mi pace) . . .

Stu

What is that old saying, "One man's garbage is another man's treasure?"  9 min/mile pace and I would be dancing in the streets!

2014-03-31 10:30 PM

User image

Expert

Stu

What is that old saying, "One man's garbage is another man's treasure?"  9 min/mile pace and I would be dancing in the streets!

As you well know, Scott, it is all about us vs. old us. Unfortunately, that was almost 10 min slower (in total) than my time just two years ago, and that is kind of discouraging (and motivating). I need more miles/week, another run day, and more speed work. Training on all fronts has been lacking for 5-6 weeks and it showed.

The weight is going to make a huge difference for you, Scott. If you plotted my run times vs. my weight there was almost a direct correlation when I was losing my 40+ lbs. And it goes beyond just being able to move faster... you can train longer, less injury issues... etc. So, soon, we'll be in the garbage/treasure heap together! Now about those swimming times... ;-)

Stu
2014-03-31 10:43 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple

Atkins can definitely shed the weight quickly. Don't be hard on yourself if training isn't quite up to par as you cut back on the carbs. But the difference lower weight will make in the running is going to really help!

About 18 months ago, we started on Atkins Phase I (<20g carbs/day).  After 3 weeks I had lost close to 45 pounds!  The next thing I knew I was in the hospital having emergency gall bladder surgery and being treated for pancreatitis.  The ER doc, the attending Internal Medicine doc, as well as the surgeon all said the gall bladder was a result of the pancreatitis which was a direct result of too rapid weight loss.  Who knew?  Anyway, I learned my lesson - well kind of.  This time around we are only planning to stay on phase one for the first two weeks as recommended by Atkins.  I am going to modify that a bit as I have a 5K this Sunday so I plan to carbo load Friday and Saturday evening to put a bit of gas in the tank for the race.  After the two weeks we are going to go to a modified phase II which gradually ramps up to 80 grams carbohydrate.  I am planning to back off my training volume for the couple weeks I am at the real low carb intake so I don't find myself face down in the street somewhere.

I am a bit concerned about possibly losing some muscle mass through this but I want the weight gone so I will risk a bit of lean mass loss to accomplish the goal.  My half-marathon is just over a month away and I REALLY want to weigh significantly less than I do now.

Of course I am basing all of this on recommendations from Dr. Scott and based on prior history, I have reason to believe that Dr. Scott probably doesn't know what the hell he is talking about when it comes to nutrition!  Maybe it's time to pony up and pay an expert.

Anyway, wish me luck!

2014-04-01 5:27 PM

User image

Regular

About 18 months ago, we started on Atkins Phase I (<20g carbs/day).  After 3 weeks I had lost close to 45 pounds!  The next thing I knew I was in the hospital having emergency gall bladder surgery and being treated for pancreatitis.  The ER doc, the attending Internal Medicine doc, as well as the surgeon all said the gall bladder was a result of the pancreatitis which was a direct result of too rapid weight loss. 

Anyway, wish me luck!

Hey good luck with the race. Stu is absolutely right....as your weight continues to drop your running will continue to improve. As I understand it, the issue you had with your gall bladder is surprisingly common. I've read that just being overweight increases the likelihood of gall bladder failure by 10X.

But watch the carbo loading. It's easy to take in a lot of food for a 5K race that will only burn about 350 calories. Since you're already low carb, a normal meal without carb restrictions will probably do the trick. Have fun!

2014-04-01 10:55 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

But watch the carbo loading. It's easy to take in a lot of food for a 5K race that will only burn about 350 calories. Since you're already low carb, a normal meal without carb restrictions will probably do the trick. Have fun!

Maybe 'carbo load' was the wrong phrase.  There is a local restaurant that has an incredible Shrimp Scampi Pasta dish.  With my new diet, that is going to seem like diving into the deep end of food debauchery!

2014-04-02 6:28 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Maybe 'carbo load' was the wrong phrase.  There is a local restaurant that has an incredible Shrimp Scampi Pasta dish.  With my new diet, that is going to seem like diving into the deep end of food debauchery!

Honey, Shrimp scampi, prepared correctly, IS food debauchery! (said in my best southern drawl).

FWIW, A friend of mine paid for a nutritionist consultation and she said it was the best money she spent. She went to two consultations and it wasn't that much money. She is pretty smart about nutrition, and she said she learned a bunch.

2014-04-02 8:47 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
I really suck - Bad week last week, just too many late nights on work or family related projects. I better get my butt back in gear.

Hopefully I can pick it back up over the weekend and get this train rolling again. I have a half marathon slated for Memorial day and a sprint in June so I better get moving. Too bad though because I had a solid three weeks coming in.

Oh well here are the numbers from last week. Glad you guys are fending better than I.

Thanks, James!

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-04-02 8:50 PM

(GGG 4-1-2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GGG 4-1-2014.jpg (138KB - 5 downloads)
2014-04-02 8:57 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Stu

I hate Stu too. Him and his 9 minute miles on 3 hours sleep. ;(

Scott Good Luck on the race on Sunday!!! Have FUN!

Oh, and just kidding Stu, you know that.

2014-04-03 6:40 AM

User image

Expert

Personally, I'd skip the debauchery during this phase of restarting Atkins if you're really serious about the plan. The whole key to those first two weeks is breaking the carb (really sugar) addiction. Unless I'm mistaken, the 5K isn't the goal... just a passing comparison moment. I'd keep my eye on the prize. The one cool thing about Atkins was that I remember looking very longingly at fruits and vegetables after the first two weeks in a way I hadn't for most of my life :-)

FWIW (more for general consumption, not necessarily Scott), I think Atkins goes too far when you're trying to train at the same time. But there are some really good lessons from the plan. Probably the biggest for me is minimizing stupid carbs - pasta, bread, crackers, soda, beer, most juices, rice, potatoes, corn, and frankly anything processed. My father-in-law has been focused on gluten-free and has lost quite a bit of weight as well. I know that I can lose 1lb/week while doing basic level of training if I stay away from stupid carbs (but eat as much veggies, fruit, nuts as I like). And 1lb/week means 50lbs in a year. The problem, of course, is the big "if" in that last sentence. So in reality it works out that I can lose 1lb/week if I'm not traveling, celebrating holidays, etc. I do think Atkins appeals to those of us who tend to be a bit extreme in our thinking (you know, people who want to do Ironmans and such), and it definitely sheds the pounds. But I also think you have to watch yo-yo effect once you meet your goals. After losing 40-50 on Atkins, I quickly gained back 15-20 once I lost focus and re-joined eating with my carb-loving wife and daughter who don't overdo it like I do. And then, the sugar/carb craving started coming back stronger than ever.

Anyway, good luck in the race this weekend, Scott - have fun!

Stu

2014-04-03 11:17 AM

User image

Regular

FWIW (more for general consumption, not necessarily Scott), I think Atkins goes too far when you're trying to train at the same time. But there are some really good lessons from the plan. Probably the biggest for me is minimizing stupid carbs - pasta, bread, crackers, soda, beer, most juices, rice, potatoes, corn, and frankly anything processed. My father-in-law has been focused on gluten-free and has lost quite a bit of weight as well. I know that I can lose 1lb/week while doing basic level of training if I stay away from stupid carbs (but eat as much veggies, fruit, nuts as I like). And 1lb/week means 50lbs in a year. The problem, of course, is the big "if" in that last sentence. So in reality it works out that I can lose 1lb/week if I'm not traveling, celebrating holidays, etc. I do think Atkins appeals to those of us who tend to be a bit extreme in our thinking (you know, people who want to do Ironmans and such), and it definitely sheds the pounds. But I also think you have to watch yo-yo effect once you meet your goals. After losing 40-50 on Atkins, I quickly gained back 15-20 once I lost focus and re-joined eating with my carb-loving wife and daughter who don't overdo it like I do. And then, the sugar/carb craving started coming back stronger than ever.

Anyway, good luck in the race this weekend, Scott - have fun!

Stu

Right on the money Stu. I've been on a gluten free diet since January 1. It's wiped out from my diet a lot of empty calorie foods that I used to eat because a) I really liked them and b) I figured as an active athlete I could work off the calories no problem. I never worried about what I was eating because I've never really had a weight problem. If I went out for dinner I would not hesitate to down a couple of rolls with butter. Dunkin Donuts--you bet. Lots of pasta, bring it on. Cake and cookies, YES!

I'm not heavy by any stretch, but I'm gradually seeing my weight come down and my body composition adjust due to elimination of gluten. I'm still eating lots of carbs--fruits, rice, etc., but I feel like I can see a difference in how my body is responding to the food that I do eat. I still eat some crappy stuff (did you know Raisinets and Snickers bars are gluten free?) but overall I've got much better discipline.
2014-04-03 6:59 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

[f (did you know Raisinets and Snickers bars are gluten free?) but overall I've got much better discipline.

Now if Milky Ways and Reeses Peanut Butter Cups were gluten free I would be on that diet too.

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-04-03 7:00 PM
2014-04-04 6:41 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Expert
Originally posted by JREDFLY

[f (did you know Raisinets and Snickers bars are gluten free?) but overall I've got much better discipline.

Now if Milky Ways and Reeses Peanut Butter Cups were gluten free I would be on that diet too.

They've got those damn peanut butter cups free for the taking where I work most days (as well as chips). Fortunately, they ran out this week... so far, I've been able to resist the peppermint patties :-)
2014-04-04 11:37 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Originally posted by JREDFLY

They've got those damn peanut butter cups free for the taking where I work most days (as well as chips). Fortunately, they ran out this week... so far, I've been able to resist the peppermint patties :-)

The guy next to me at work always keeps a bowl of candy going and I just stay way from it, not easy though. I am trying to stay away from all sugary sweets till Memorail day when I have my half marathon. Lets see how I do when the Easter Bunny comes to town - I must be strong!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18257 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.