BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-04-04 8:31 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE:Challenge update

Originally posted by JREDFLY 

Lets see how I do when the Easter Bunny comes to town - I must be strong!

I explained to my dogs that I do not want to see an Easter Bunny bearing baskets of candy anywhere near our house and that they are free to use whatever means necessary, up to and including eating the bunny - so that I don't have to do battle with my candy weakness!

2014-04-05 6:03 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-04-05 2:41 PM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Dublin, Ohio
Taper time! Finally! Last long run this morning and my mileage is taking a dive. I'm getting so excited for Boston!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

FWIW......as a general rule, for every pound of weight lost you shed 2 seconds per mile! That is huge motivation and worked almost to the second for me 3 years ago when I lost 10 pounds. I try to stay away from the big 3: sugar, white flour and alcohol. Lets be honest though, I cheat occasionally!

Have a great weekend everyone!
2014-04-06 7:48 AM
in reply to: wsummerhill

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Challenge update this week:

Wt  no gain/ loss = 5 point

workouts  643.998 minutes = 21.4666 points

----------------------------------------------------------------

total  26.466 points

need to figure out why I am not losing weight--think there are too many carb heavy meals and may have to drop a serving or two....

2014-04-06 12:00 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Farmington, Connecticut
I'm also trying to lock down my carb/sugar intake to drop a few more lbs.

My numbers for the challenge this week:

No weight gain bonus = 5pts
314 minutes workout time = 10pts

Total = 15 pts

Finally, since this is a triathlon focused group, I won't go into a long, rambling post about the UCONN men and women both making the Final Four, since I'm sure everyone has read about it and seen it on national TV.

Have a great week everyone!
2014-04-06 1:26 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

Regular
james please add 11 points for 2 weeks ago, and 18 points for this past week. Thanks.
Sprained ankle past ten days. I am clear to run again. yippee !
Was chasing a kid playing tag when I was working extended care. Hidden rock in the leaves.
ps don't wear off the shelf insoles like spenco naturals on really uneven terrain. It made my ankle take the brunt of the torsion and likely caused the sprain.

2014-04-06 2:59 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

Champion
Bronze member

update for the challenge.

0 for wt loss

5 for no weight gain

21 pts training

26 total.

I am with you Judi, I know what I need to do to lose the pounds, I just need to remember it each evening as well. I WILL get this weight off, I WILL!

2014-04-06 5:30 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

2014-04-07 8:46 AM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Dropped another pound this week. Somewhat surprising since I was travelling for work in Canada and ate too many rich meals and drank way way way too much wine. I can't figure out why some weeks I workout less and drop weight and others I pound it hard as I can and stay flat or even gain.

In any case, I'm down to my target race weight which I totally attribute to staying off gluten. I tipped 159.5 on the scale this morning. So, I'm feeling good about that. Taper will be in full form this week. I fly for Orlando on Thursday. Race Sunday. Adventure awaits.

For the week: one pound lost = 10 points plus 5 bonus = 15
360 minutes workout = 12

Total = 27

Have a great week everyone!
2014-04-07 10:47 AM

Expert
Falls Church

Hi...I've been traveling for a variety of reasons.  All good for the most part.  None of them work related.  Training has fallen by the wayside.  Was hoping to get back on track this week but work events have conspired to make it unlikely to do much until Thursday.  Also, I'm a bit tired and feel a under the weather.  So no swim today.

Will catch up on postings later today.

2014-04-07 11:32 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Slightly disappointing week for me. Just didn't have the umph I hoped for... ah well.

Weight - no change = 0 + 5 point bonus = 5
Training - 300 min = 10 points
Total = 15 points

I was down a pound or two all week until this morning... dang, I hate when that happens!

Good luck this week everyone!
Stu

2014-04-07 5:50 PM
in reply to: juneapple

Expert
Missouri

no weight change +5
216 minutes workout +7

total of 12 points for the week

2014-04-08 6:57 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
2014-04-08 10:08 AM

Regular
Originally posted by juneapple

Here's an article / book that's right up our alley:

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2014/04/masters-tria...

All those examples of the stuff grand masters have to deal with....all I can say is I've pretty much got them all!

Cie la vie.
2014-04-08 11:59 AM

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by juneapple Here's an article / book that's right up our alley: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2014/04/masters-tria...

thanks for sharing.

2014-04-08 3:18 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Weight loss - 2.7 pounds - 27 points

No gain - 5 points

Workout 341 minutes - 11.4 points

Total - 43.4 points

Ran in the Sea World 5K/Fun Run this past weekend.  While it was timed, it was more of a fun run than a true 5K.  The course was through the park.  That was kind of cool to see Sea World with very few people, but it was kind of tight in some spots and a LOT of turns as the course looped back on itself time and time again - there was at least a dozen 180* turns and I think the longest straight was only a hundred yards or so.  I have no idea how much time that cost, but I suspect it was significant.  Anyway, I set a PR (which, given my time last year was not terribly hard to do) of 28:42.  For anyone interested, that took about 24 minutes off of my time last July.  YES, it absolutely pays to have a masochistic running coach!  My pace was almost where it needs to be, of course that was for a 5K.  I have the Half-Marathon in just under a month, which will be a better indicator of my marathon pace.  I have to say, it is kind of nice to see all the hard work beginning to pay off!  Not sure I am a runner yet, but at least now I have hope that maybe I will be some day.

2014-04-08 6:19 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple Here's an article / book that's right up our alley: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2014/04/masters-tria...

I was beginning to think I should just have somebody take me out into a field and shoot me until I read the part that says, "Declines can be slowed, and even halted altogether . . ."

I'm just gonna hang my hat on that!

2014-04-08 6:47 PM

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by juneapple

Here's an article / book that's right up our alley:

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2014/04/masters-tria...

Thanks for sharing, Stu. While the point is that we face a downhill slide, at least the strength and interval work we do helps to slow the decline. The article also reminded me that doing some yoga would probably help me as a supplement to my stretching routines.

Scott: Congrats on your 5K race time! What a fun sounding run, though all those 180's would have made me dizzy.

Dave
2014-04-08 7:05 PM

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Weight loss - 2.7 pounds - 27 points

No gain - 5 points

Workout 341 minutes - 11.4 points

Total - 43.4 points

Ran in the Sea World 5K/Fun Run this past weekend.  Anyway, I set a PR (which, given my time last year was not terribly hard to do) of 28:42.   I have the Half-Marathon in just under a month, which will be a better indicator of my marathon pace.  I have to say, it is kind of nice to see all the hard work beginning to pay off!  Not sure I am a runner yet, but at least now I have hope that maybe I will be some day.

Scott--Nice! Congrats on the improvement. That's a pretty significant leap in terms of time.

I'm sure your running coach has laid out your longer run workouts. Getting your body conditioned to the longer race distance at a faster pace is a significant training effort. My guess is your HM time will be about a minute per mile slower than your 5K. So, if you take your 5K of about 9:15 you're potentially looking at a half at around 2 hours, 15 minutes.

Should be fun!

Steve
2014-04-08 7:33 PM
in reply to: lutzman

2014-04-08 8:48 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Scott--Nice! Congrats on the improvement. That's a pretty significant leap in terms of time.

I'm sure your running coach has laid out your longer run workouts. Getting your body conditioned to the longer race distance at a faster pace is a significant training effort. My guess is your HM time will be about a minute per mile slower than your 5K. So, if you take your 5K of about 9:15 you're potentially looking at a half at around 2 hours, 15 minutes.

Should be fun! Steve

Thanks Steve.

Coach said that the 'easy' improvements are now behind me and that every second from here on is going to be earned with pain and sweat.  I think the biggest factors in the improvement are a) my form has improved dramatically - thanks to having a coach that has often been right beside me as I ran, and b) he has had me doing hills once a week.  The hill is roughly a quarter mile to the top and about a 300 foot elevation gain so something like a 25% grade.  Accumulating miles has certainly helped, but the hills have increased strength, VO2 max and LT.  Normally the hill training is 1-2 mile easy run to warm up, then 5 hill reps descending splits, easy jog back down then 2 minutes walking before the next rep, followed by 2 mile easy cool-down.  Doesn't sound like much, but that is what has been the magic bullet for me.

I am trying not to have a goal time in mind for the half.  I don't want to be disappointed.  The plan is to start at a 10:30 pace for the first 4 miles, then go to 10:20 for the next 4, then 10:15 for 4, then suck it up and just go for the last mile.  Of course, that is assuming I am not completely overwhelmed actually being on the track at Indianapolis Motor Speedway!

We will see what we will see.

2014-04-08 10:07 PM

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by lutzman

Should be fun! Steve

Thanks Steve.

Coach said that the 'easy' improvements are now behind me and that every second from here on is going to be earned with pain and sweat.  I think the biggest factors in the improvement are a) my form has improved dramatically - thanks to having a coach that has often been right beside me as I ran, and b) he has had me doing hills once a week.  The hill is roughly a quarter mile to the top and about a 300 foot elevation gain so something like a 25% grade.  Accumulating miles has certainly helped, but the hills have increased strength, VO2 max and LT.  Normally the hill training is 1-2 mile easy run to warm up, then 5 hill reps descending splits, easy jog back down then 2 minutes walking before the next rep, followed by 2 mile easy cool-down.  Doesn't sound like much, but that is what has been the magic bullet for me.

I am trying not to have a goal time in mind for the half.  I don't want to be disappointed.  The plan is to start at a 10:30 pace for the first 4 miles, then go to 10:20 for the next 4, then 10:15 for 4, then suck it up and just go for the last mile.  Of course, that is assuming I am not completely overwhelmed actually being on the track at Indianapolis Motor Speedway!

We will see what we will see.

Scott--Sounds like a solid plan. You've got good coaching and negative splits is the way to go on longer distance. It's so easy when the race starts to get pumped with adrenalin and shoot out of the gate running way to fast for the first few miles....building lactic acid that then kills you for the balance of the run. If you can really be disciplined on your splits your goals seem very realistic.

Steve
2014-04-09 12:37 PM

New user
Hingham, MA
Gained a pound, my son's birthday, I swear if I look at a piece of freakin cake I gain a pound. ;(

Allergies just kicked in up here so that is not going to help things. I get so fatigued, especially later in the day, Stinks. Any other alergy sufferers out there with any advice?

Time to get serious though, my half marathon is in 7 weeks.

Scott - you sound like you are doing great, keep it up!!!

(GGG 4-7-2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GGG 4-7-2014.jpg (138KB - 4 downloads)
2014-04-09 6:16 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

Regular
If I can just drop 10 lbs between now and Memorial Day, I might catch Judi. Of course, that would put me at about my high school weight, which is kind of scary. Right now, I put the chances of that happening at exactly zero.

Steve
2014-04-09 7:16 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by lutzman If I can just drop 10 lbs between now and Memorial Day, I might catch Judi. Of course, that would put me at about my high school weight, which is kind of scary. Right now, I put the chances of that happening at exactly zero. Steve

I find this amusing   Thanks for the laugh.

---off topic---

I talk to people from a lot of different hospitals all the time.  This morning I talked to a nurse in northern VA.  The case had been previously denied and she was giving me more clinical to send it back to the Dr.  He overturned his initial decision....no big deal, happens all the time that we get more information and change things for the people.....As luck turned out I picked up the phone an hour or so after that case was called back to her and she told me I had done something for her that no man had done in many years--made her a happy woman.  I about fell off my fit ball (I don't use a chair at home)  

That too was a good giggle for my day.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18129 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.