BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-05-01 8:44 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Challenge Update
Originally posted by soccermom15

no weight change = 5
274 minutes workout = 9.13
total = 14.13 points

I did a duathlon on Sunday.  My 3rd year doing it and the first year we've had decent weather - no rain and not freezing cold.  I beat my time from last year by almost 1.5 minutes - ride was better this year but my runs (especially the 2nd one) weren't so good.  Don't know if it was the rising temps, the wind on the ride, or just a lack of good run training lately, but the second run was tough.  I love the race though and will probably do it every year they have it. 

Great job! Never did a duathlon. They must be tough, I heard on some tris when they cancel the swim some people say they would rather drown then run an extra 2 miles. (Ha!, Ha!)

2014-05-01 9:02 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by JREDFLY

no weight change = 5
total = 14.13 points

I did a duathlon on Sunday.  My 3rd year doing it and the first year we've had decent weather - no rain and not freezing cold.  I beat my time from last year by almost 1.5 minutes - ride was better this year but my runs (especially the 2nd one) weren't so good.  Don't know if it was the rising temps, the wind on the ride, or just a lack of good run training lately, but the second run was tough.  I love the race though and will probably do it every year they have it. 

Great job! Never did a duathlon. They must be tough, I heard on some tris when they cancel the swim some people say they would rather drown then run an extra 2 miles. (Ha!, Ha!)

Haha, as much as I dislike swimming, I really hate the format of duathlons.  That pacing of the first run has to be just right since it's such a leg intensive day.  Getting off the bike for run two has the complete definition of suckle to me. (and I usually like running)

2014-05-02 8:40 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by QueenZipp

no weight change = 5
total = 14.13 points

Haha, as much as I dislike swimming, I really hate the format of duathlons.  That pacing of the first run has to be just right since it's such a leg intensive day.  Getting off the bike for run two has the complete definition of suckle to me. (and I usually like running)

Last year at Duathlon Nationals one of the booths in the Expo was selling a T-Shirt that said something to the effect of I would rather drown once than run twice.
2014-05-02 8:43 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: It's Friday!!!
What's your plan for the weekend? We've got Scott racing an HM in Indy? Good luck Scott! Anyone else have big plans? For me I'll have the normal long run Saturday/long ride Sunday protocol. Although, we have friends with a winery and they are bottling this weekend, so we'll spend some time there both days helping out with the process and drinking really good red wine. It's gluten free, so I'm good to go!

Have fun out there!
2014-05-02 9:24 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I a doing the East Coast Super Sprint on Sunday. It's a good short race to practice transitions and OWS skills in.  Set up in a local business center in a pond created there for the swim.  Water is gonna be wetsuit legal.

2014-05-02 10:28 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

What's your plan for the weekend? We've got Scott racing an HM in Indy? Good luck Scott! Anyone else have big plans? For me I'll have the normal long run Saturday/long ride Sunday protocol. Although, we have friends with a winery and they are bottling this weekend, so we'll spend some time there both days helping out with the process and drinking really good red wine. It's gluten free, so I'm good to go!

Have fun out there!

I have a 12 mile long run planned. Going to try and do it at about 30 seconds over race pace as suggested.

Otherwise I will be watching a bunch of the kids lacrosse and baseball games.

2014-05-02 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Scott - good luck this weekend!  I'm considering that HM for next year.

After a chilly and overcast week it's supposed to be a gorgeous weekend here.  I think I'm going to try to get outside for my ride on Saturday (depends on how I feel after we get back from the air show), then heading to the trail on Sunday for a run.  I haven't been on the trails in about a month - looking forward to getting back on them.

Good luck to anyone else who's racing this weekend too!

2014-05-02 4:52 PM

User image

Regular
Similar plan for me James. I'm doing a 12 miles tomorrow. My plan is to do some work around pacing, but also adjusting to a slightly faster than race pace effort..

My current HM race pace goal is 7:40. So, the plan is to start with about a 2 mile warm up. Then I'll try to do 3 X 3 mile pace intervals. The first will be at 7:40/mile, the second interval will be at 7:20 mile and the 3rd interval will (hopefully) be somewhere in the 7:10-7:15/mile pace. So I'll basically be starting on my race pace and running a couple more intervals at slightly faster than race pace. Sunday I'm thinking it will be about 3.5 hours on the bike, hopefully followed by a short brick run (if I have any jam left in my legs).

Happy training!
2014-05-03 3:54 PM

User image

Regular

Similar plan for me James. I'm doing a 12 miles tomorrow. My plan is to do some work around pacing, but also adjusting to a slightly faster than race pace effort..

My current HM race pace goal is 7:40. So, the plan is to start with about a 2 mile warm up. Then I'll try to do 3 X 3 mile pace intervals. The first will be at 7:40/mile, the second interval will be at 7:20 mile and the 3rd interval will (hopefully) be somewhere in the 7:10-7:15/mile pace. So I'll basically be starting on my race pace and running a couple more intervals at slightly faster than race pace. Sunday I'm thinking it will be about 3.5 hours on the bike, hopefully followed by a short brick run (if I have any jam left in my legs).

Happy training!

Ok, that was a learning experience this morning. What I learned is my winter easy long run program has done a great job of training me to be a slow runner! Granted, I biked fairly hard yesterday, but I just could not hold my planned paces. I could cruise along at about 142-144 HR at a 8:00 pace. Take it up to race pace (7:40) and my HR would spike to 150-152. Twenty seconds/mile below race pace and I was at 155 HR, which is pretty hard for me to sustain in the HM. I really couldn't hold the 7:10 pace without having my HR jump to 158+. That 1:55 HM in the Florida race makes a lot more sense now. It wasn't just heat!

So, the lesson: TEMPO RUNS. I just haven't being doing them and it really shows. I've lost nearly a minute a mile in my cruising pace by failing to get enough (weekly) race-pace and slightly faster than race pace training runs in addition to intervals. It just goes to show that there are many kinds of training runs, but it's so important to blend in the right kind of run training relative to goals.

I know what I'll be working on for the next four weeks!

Steve
2014-05-04 8:21 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Happy training!

Ok, that was a learning experience this morning. What I learned is my winter easy long run program has done a great job of training me to be a slow runner! Granted, I biked fairly hard yesterday, but I just could not hold my planned paces. I could cruise along at about 142-144 HR at a 8:00 pace. Take it up to race pace (7:40) and my HR would spike to 150-152. Twenty seconds/mile below race pace and I was at 155 HR, which is pretty hard for me to sustain in the HM. I really couldn't hold the 7:10 pace without having my HR jump to 158+. That 1:55 HM in the Florida race makes a lot more sense now. It wasn't just heat!

So, the lesson: TEMPO RUNS. I just haven't being doing them and it really shows. I've lost nearly a minute a mile in my cruising pace by failing to get enough (weekly) race-pace and slightly faster than race pace training runs in addition to intervals. It just goes to show that there are many kinds of training runs, but it's so important to blend in the right kind of run training relative to goals.

Steve

Sounds like what happened to me this weekend but just at a different level. I decided to run 13.1 on the pavement just to have the distance done psychologically. Tried to keep HR at 145-150 and winded up running a crappy 13mm avg pace. On the treadmill I can run 5 miles at 11mm pace and never go over 145. But I have been doing speed work on the treadmill where I was running 5 miles of intervals - 9mm for 7 mins. and slowing it down to 12mm for just 3 mins repeats. Then in other sessions I was doing 5 miles of shorter intervals - 2 mins slow at 11mm and 1 min at 8mm repeats. I would think this type of training would get my HR lower. The only thing I can think of is that treadmill running is much easier than running on pavement. If so, how much of a difference should I expect to see? It is just getting warmer up here in Boston, yesterday was the first run I was able to do with shorts on so hopefully hitting the pavement these next few weeks will help. Just really stinks though because I was hoping to maybe do 10:30s for my half marathon but I am probably looking at 12:00 at best. Good news is i did drop some weight this week. James
2014-05-04 8:25 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Hey, I hope Scott had a good half marathon. I know he was working very hard on his run.

Good luck today Judi!

James

2014-05-04 9:50 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by JREDFLY Hey, I hope Scott had a good half marathon. I know he was working very hard on his run. Good luck today Judi! James

Thanks James!

Had a decent race.  Second place in the AG.  About a 6 min improvement in my time from last year on the course.  No official splits yet....not sure if I will be able to get any.  

2014-05-04 10:17 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-05-04 3:32 PM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Is there anyway to jump back into this mentor group after 2 months of almost nothing?

I am impressed to all of you who have stuck with it. your consistency in inspiring.
2014-05-04 3:45 PM

New user
Hingham, MA

Originally posted by JREDFLY Hey, I hope Scott had a good half marathon. I know he was working very hard on his run. Good luck today Judi! James

Thanks James!

Had a decent race.  Second place in the AG.  About a 6 min improvement in my time from last year on the course.  No official splits yet....not sure if I will be able to get any.  

6 Minutes is HUGE! Great job Judi.

James
2014-05-04 4:04 PM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

Regular
Originally posted by charlotte hobbs

Is there anyway to jump back into this mentor group after 2 months of almost nothing?

I am impressed to all of you who have stuck with it. your consistency in inspiring.

You're certainly welcome to re-join the fracas. We're all still here, fighting the good fight. Welcome back.

2014-05-04 4:08 PM

Regular

Happy training!

Steve

Sounds like what happened to me this weekend but just at a different level. I decided to run 13.1 on the pavement just to have the distance done psychologically. Tried to keep HR at 145-150 and winded up running a crappy 13mm avg pace. On the treadmill I can run 5 miles at 11mm pace and never go over 145. But I have been doing speed work on the treadmill where I was running 5 miles of intervals - 9mm for 7 mins. and slowing it down to 12mm for just 3 mins repeats. Then in other sessions I was doing 5 miles of shorter intervals - 2 mins slow at 11mm and 1 min at 8mm repeats. I would think this type of training would get my HR lower. The only thing I can think of is that treadmill running is much easier than running on pavement. If so, how much of a difference should I expect to see? It is just getting warmer up here in Boston, yesterday was the first run I was able to do with shorts on so hopefully hitting the pavement these next few weeks will help. Just really stinks though because I was hoping to maybe do 10:30s for my half marathon but I am probably looking at 12:00 at best. Good news is i did drop some weight this week. James

James--I agree with your observation....the treadmill makes it just a little easier to hit the per mail paces. I'm guessing it's a combination of not having to propel your body forward--just move your legs underneath you-- and zero headwinds/hills. I've found that if I crank the treadmill to .5 or 1% grade it starts to add some additional stress and the per mile paces get tougher....and probably more realistic.
2014-05-04 5:03 PM

Farmington, Connecticut

Thanks James!

Congrats, Judy.
2014-05-04 5:11 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

Farmington, Connecticut
No race this weekend, but I picked up a used road bike at my LBS and took my first spin on it this weekend. Quite a change from chugging along on my mountain bike.

I'm planning on a solid training week coming up, since I"m in the 4 week countdown to my first sprint.

James, my numbers for this past week are:

weight loss .4lbs 4 pts
no gain 5 pts
307 minutes workout 10pts

total 19pts

2014-05-04 6:22 PM

Regular
Originally posted by DJP_19

No race this weekend, but I picked up a used road bike at my LBS and took my first spin on it this weekend. Quite a change from chugging along on my mountain bike.

I'm planning on a solid training week coming up, since I"m in the 4 week countdown to my first sprint.

Nice! You'll fly like the wind on your new road bike versus a mountain bike. Have fun!

Steve
2014-05-04 9:54 PM

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by DJP_19

Congrats on the new bike Dave!

2014-05-04 9:54 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Weekly Numbers
Tough Saturday with a disappointing run for me but I'll hang in there, it is what is.

Down 1 pound for 15 points for weight loss and 300 mins working out for another 10 points = 25 points total for the week. Nice to finally wear shorts outside, I didn't think winter was ever going to end.

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-05-08 11:10 AM
2014-05-05 6:56 AM

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Weekly Numbers

Looks like lots of good stuff going on here! I'll catch up with you all this week. I had a really blah week of second guessing myself, doubt and disappointment. Not for any special reason,either. I gave myself a good shaking and talking to and am back today.

Stats for the week reflect my dismal attitude. The only good thing is I lost some weight.

2.6 pounds lost 26 points

5 for no weight gain

95 minutes training 3 pints

33 points total.

2014-05-05 7:03 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

No gain = 5 points

workouts= 12.5 points

-----------------------------------

17.5 points

2014-05-05 8:43 AM

Regular
No weight change for me = 5
11 hours workout = 22

27 points total.

Thought for sure I was going to drop a little weight this week after a pretty aggressive training weekend. But, I also ate everything in sight, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18183 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.