General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inexpensive gift ideas for husband just getting into fitness? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-18 7:43 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Inexpensive gift ideas for husband just getting into fitness?
Foam roller, "the stick," compression calf sleeves, yoga mat if he's into the stretching, Reflective vest/headlamp/gloves if he runs at night. What other cheap techy toys do I have...oh yeah they're all expensive!

2013-12-18 9:08 PM
in reply to: 1st Time 70.3!

User image

Regular
Sweatvac or Headsweats running hat I love mine! The Sweatvacs have reflective bills and rear tabs.

A race belt - if he plans on doing races.

A RoadID bracelet. I was wearing mine on a plane once, and instantly struck up a conversation with a fellow runner when he noticed it. BTW - they partnered with headsweats and offer a really cool design, and highly reflective hat for only $9.99! It's on the RoadID website.

I really like my Yankz laces. After my uncle had to stop to tie his shoe in a 5k and got dizzy trying to get up too fast, he got a set, too.

The Stick is wonderful, as is a foam roller. The Trigger Point brand foam roller is nice because it is hollow for better packing for travel. (I like the comment above about him loving/hating you for this idea. :-) )

A set of resistance bands. Great for travel, and I even mounted eye-bolts and carabineers in my garage at 7', 4', and 6" and easily can do a complete full body workout with them.

I wouldn't trade my SmartWool running socks for anything else. Warm even when wet.

A running jacket. Can double as a cycling jacket. Make sure the upper chest pocket has a "feed hole" for earbuds

Running tights. Mine double as cycling tights, and thermal undies sometimes.

Yoga mat for yoga (duh) or ab work, and other stretching.

Headlamp - Princeton Tec Remix is wonderful. I can't say enough about their customer service!!! I also use mine to go in the attic/crawlspace, night-time grilling and loads of other stuff when I want my hands free.

2013-12-18 9:11 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Left Brain

SOCKS!

NO!!!

One can never have too many pairs of socks. 

I am a sentimental person, I appreciate anything my wife gives me
2013-12-19 3:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
A heart rate monitor, I think is within the budget.

Any clothes he might need - including socks. Even if what you have will do, it's always great to have something suited for the purpose.

Wearable illumination - not just a head lamp, he will also like to be seen if he runs outside after dark

A goal: Sign him up for a 10K in 3 months time :P

Motivation and support: The perfect gift you can make yourself!
2013-12-19 10:29 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
For running, a pair of windpants and/or soft-shell jacket, blinkie lights, etc. for running outdoors instead of the treadmill.

For personal training, a nice duffle bag, backpack, or organizational things to take into the gym.

Would he be receptive to fitness literature? Books ranging from Ultramarathon Man or Born Running to training books by Friel or Finks.
2013-12-19 10:35 AM

Make sure he's around for a long time.....Road ID.

2013-12-19 10:53 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by strykergt

Originally posted by Left Brain

SOCKS!

NO!!!

One can never have too many pairs of socks. 

I am a sentimental person, I appreciate anything my wife gives me

Lies! What a suck up! 

2013-12-19 10:56 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I imagine he has a smart phone of some sort, sport headphones and an arm band would be a good idea if he doesn't already have it. He can use those for any activity. 

I personally like the buds that have the rubber part that wraps around the back of your ear. Sound ok, stay put, and they fit under sunglasses and a hat. Go slightly high end though cuz the cheap ones succumb to the sweat pretty quick. 

2013-12-19 12:15 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Extreme Veteran
If he reads, get a book on running or triathlons. Off the top of my head, I liked "Born to Run" and "Unthinkable". Neither of those require you to be too into the specific sport to get you excited about upping your fitness.
2013-12-19 1:34 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Pro
Burbs

thanks everyone!

2013-12-19 1:38 PM

User image

NC
Originally posted by trishie

thanks everyone!

Please report back if you give the socks.

2013-12-19 1:45 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Pro
Burbs

Re: socks.

My husband LOVES socks. He's a very fashionable guy (he's uttered the phrase "if I had more money I'd wear a lot more Burberry" ) and he's "known" for his fancy/ patterned socks at work.

That said, I did get him a pair of Belaga socks. 

2013-12-19 2:15 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hahhaa very nice!

I don't know why people knock on the socks idea so much. Socks are something everyone needs, and especially if you run/bike a lot you need more, and something most people don't like buying for themselves. They are also relatively inexpensive (hello original question) and a good quality sock will last a long time. Yup a practical gift, but for someone just getting started (hello original question) it's a nice go-to that pretty much anyone will use. I couldn't say the same for a lot of the other suggestions.

2013-12-19 2:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Hahhaa very nice!

I don't know why people knock on the socks idea so much. Socks are something everyone needs, and especially if you run/bike a lot you need more, and something most people don't like buying for themselves. They are also relatively inexpensive (hello original question) and a good quality sock will last a long time. Yup a practical gift, but for someone just getting started (hello original question) it's a nice go-to that pretty much anyone will use. I couldn't say the same for a lot of the other suggestions.

i think socks are a nice gift!  for all the reasons you listed.  do you think mr. meh bought me some more balega socks for christmas??

Edited by mehaner 2013-12-19 2:29 PM
2013-12-19 4:05 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Franklin, TN
No particular order:

1. socks! (I like my Swiftwick)
2. Gu Chomps (or any of the other energy bars/chews)...it's like candy for triathletes
3. calf sleeves (not necessarily cheap but they are nice..$25 to $40 range depending on brand and whether they are on sale)
4. runners water bottle (Nathan, Amphipod, Fuel Belt)
5. head lamp (princeton tech, diamond back, etc..)
6. If he's cycling ... a multi tool (ie. Crank Brothers Multi Bicycle Tool (17-Function)
7. Compression underwear (UnderArmour or Nike) to wear with his runnng shorts
8. subscription to Triathlete, Runners World, Lava magazine (or similar)
9. a swim lesson or personal trainer session

Several of these have already been mentioned alongwith several other good ideas. ie. stretch cords, entry into a 5k race, visor/hat, The Stick (or similar), foam roller. I'm hoping I get some of these in my stocking.
2013-12-19 4:10 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Expert
South Florida
Thorlo running socks.
Like driving a Caddy after spending your life in a Hyundai.

2013-12-19 4:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
South Florida
Oops DP

Edited by Turnin2 2013-12-19 4:11 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inexpensive gift ideas for husband just getting into fitness? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Inexpensive tri gifts for birthday?

Started by Mike_D
Views: 956 Posts: 12

2012-01-26 9:43 PM dewybuck

HOLIDAY GIFT IDEA FOR TRIATHLETES

Started by Tri-rat666
Views: 935 Posts: 3

2007-11-27 12:02 PM Tri-rat666

Need bike ideas for 6'8" husband

Started by nancylee
Views: 863 Posts: 15

2007-06-12 4:36 PM ScottoNM

Christmas Gift Ideas

Started by snoopy
Views: 720 Posts: 14

2005-12-16 9:24 AM runnergirl29

Gift ideas needed

Started by lifesgreat
Views: 1104 Posts: 11

2005-06-28 9:06 AM tupuppy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : August 19, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : December 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
If you are looking for a simple, yet special, gift for your running buddy, teammate, or active friend, enjoy making one of these recipes that will be sure to please any hungry athlete.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.