BT Development Mentor Program Archives » What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2014-01-02 8:55 AM
in reply to: AmandaPanda

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by AmandaPanda Hi! If the group is still open, can I join? About Me - My name is Amanda. I've always been active (mostly rugby and kickboxing) and just started doing triathlons in 2013. I did 2 Olympic tris in July and August. Family Status - I have a great boyfriend and an awesome dog. Current training - I've been working on technique lately trying to get better at swimming and cycling. This year - Marathon in March, an Olympic in May, a Half Ironman in either June or July, and IM-Chattanooga in September. It's going to be a busy year :-)

Still open - Welcome Amanda!!

Sounds like a busy year! 

Which Marathon?

Do you use your logs here on BT? 

2014-01-02 9:41 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

I am interested in joining up with this group. I am just starting to train for a May race. Doing an Olympic distance tri in Kansas City I believe. I then have a HIM in July and a full IM in November (Florida). I just love the group for motivation. My favorite distance is the Olympic but I did love my HIM last year and could see that distance becoming my "focus" over the next few years. My goal in the next 2 years is to finish a HIM in around 5:20.
2014-01-02 9:55 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by brigby1

Started the year off with a trainer ride, ~2.5 hrs. 4 x 20' just under 90% each. Trying to shake out this funk.

Solid! You using videos/software for the trainer rides?

This one was just to TV shows. Many times I'll use Sufferfest videos in various combinations. It's not often I'll do them as hard as they say, adjusting the intensity to what's appropriate for what I want to accomplish that day. the combinations come from various workouts I may have come across at some point or out of Training & Racing with a Powermeter. A little tweaking and quite a few things work well.

2014-01-02 10:47 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Pro

Originally posted by midwesttrimom I am interested in joining up with this group. I am just starting to train for a May race. Doing an Olympic distance tri in Kansas City I believe. I then have a HIM in July and a full IM in November (Florida). I just love the group for motivation. My favorite distance is the Olympic but I did love my HIM last year and could see that distance becoming my "focus" over the next few years. My goal in the next 2 years is to finish a HIM in around 5:20.

Welcome, Jen!!

Are you in the part of the midwest lucky enough to be getting pounded by a snowstorm right now?

2014-01-02 11:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by midwesttrimom I am interested in joining up with this group. I am just starting to train for a May race. Doing an Olympic distance tri in Kansas City I believe. I then have a HIM in July and a full IM in November (Florida). I just love the group for motivation. My favorite distance is the Olympic but I did love my HIM last year and could see that distance becoming my "focus" over the next few years. My goal in the next 2 years is to finish a HIM in around 5:20.

Welcome, Jen!!

Are you in the part of the midwest lucky enough to be getting pounded by a snowstorm right now?

No, not yet, but wondering if it's headed this way??!! We have about 3 inches on the ground but it is SO COLD!! Today I ran 5 miles outside and it was 4 degrees with a -12 windchill. BRRRRRRR
I think the older I get the colder these runs can be. I struggle A LOT with indoor cycling and have never used heart rate training. That is my goal for this season so I may be asking for help. I don't have a trainer yet but plan to try to use one for the last 4 months of my FIM training. I train with a group of very solid athletes, which helps keep me motivated to do speed work in all three disciplines. Biking is, by far, my weakness. I only average around 19-19.5 on my race days, which I realize should be much faster! Luckily I can hold my own in the run and swim (not fast but at least above average).
This year is going to be an awakening for me as far as adding distance. I haven't ran a marathon in over 7 years, have never ridden over 60 miles on my bike at one time, and have never swam more than 1.5 miles at one time.
Big jumps for me!
2014-01-02 11:11 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

Master
Northern IL

Seem to be getting a few inches of snow every few days over here. Supposed to drop to -8F tonight. Although what I'm watching more is around Monday where the high is about 8-10 below right now. Could see lows reaching down to -18F. Don't think I've seen quite that cold before. I'll be ok, but really wondering about a lot of people not seeing it coming.

2014-01-02 11:12 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by skankey My training plan called for 6x800s at 5k race pace today so instead I found a 5k and just ran it. I'm glad I did. I ended up getting a PR in the 5k, 17:37. Felt great. I'm excited for whats going to happen in any sprint or olympic triathlons I do this year as my legs aren't fresh right now due to the hard past weeks I've had and I still PR-ed. Its going to be a good racing year!

AWESOME! Congrats!!!

Nice going!

2014-01-02 11:20 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by skankey My training plan called for 6x800s at 5k race pace today so instead I found a 5k and just ran it. I'm glad I did. I ended up getting a PR in the 5k, 17:37. Felt great. I'm excited for whats going to happen in any sprint or olympic triathlons I do this year as my legs aren't fresh right now due to the hard past weeks I've had and I still PR-ed. Its going to be a good racing year!

AWESOME! Congrats!!!

Nice going!

THAT IS SMOKIN' FAST!!!
2014-01-02 12:40 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

On that note, thoughts on what you like to see shared? Like at least with the mentor, or preference towards the group?

If anyone is not familiar with doing that, this has been quite valuable at times in seeing what someone is doing. Both in organizing training for themselves and in allowing others to see what's going on when questions come up.

Edited by brigby1 2014-01-02 12:42 PM
2014-01-02 1:07 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

On that note, thoughts on what you like to see shared? Like at least with the mentor, or preference towards the group?

If anyone is not familiar with doing that, this has been quite valuable at times in seeing what someone is doing.

If you keep logs (here or anywhere) I like them to be visible to the whole group! I log here, but my Garmin Connect (http://connect.garmin.com/profile/ElaineK) and Strava (http://www.strava.com/athletes/736396) accounts often show more detail.

Sharing logs REALLY helps - with motivation, with training advice, and building our little community!

If you're not comfortable sharing logs for whatever reason, that's ok, too

2014-01-02 2:31 PM

User image

Hi there!! Hope still space for a rookie.

NAME: Chef Segreto/ Julian G.

STORY: I am 33 yo. from Colombia (South America), lived in Miami for about 13 years, and I just moved to Charlotte, NC with my family a year ago. I have a company that provide private chef services, gourmet cooking classes and nutrition plans to a high level clientele in the Great Charlotte,NC area. I grew up in gyms and stadiums, my mother was an Olympic High Jumper and my father owned a Fitness center in Cali, Colombia. I played Soccer through out High School and College. I also did Road and Track Cycling for several years until I moved to the States. Since then I ran, played soccer and went to the gym. I stopped playing soccer 3 years ago after a knee injury that let me a whole long year without beign able to run, I did physical rehab but I was advised by the doctor to quit soccer for life if I wanted to keep walking. I started running seriously again in 2012 did a 5K and kept building a strong base again since I stopped for so long without any exercise. Since I loved cycling and running I decided to incorporate swimming as well, I started training for Tri 4 months ago with one of the Sprint programs designed by BT, and I am loving it.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 10 years ago, three beautiful kids: 8, 4, 2

CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for my first Sprint, and I will focus on Olympic after Spring.

2014 RACES: My first Sprint race: Tri Mayberry, NC on 4/13, and Tar Heel 4 miler on 4/26. Don't know if the races are too close from each other.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am feeling great right know 177 lbs. 6'2". Very healthy and balanced nutrition.

Looking forward to learn from you guys.

2014-01-02 3:50 PM
in reply to: Chef Segreto

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Chef Segreto Hi there!! Hope still space for a rookie. NAME: Chef Segreto/ Julian G. STORY: I am 33 yo. from Colombia (South America), lived in Miami for about 13 years, and I just moved to Charlotte, NC with my family a year ago. I have a company that provide private chef services, gourmet cooking classes and nutrition plans to a high level clientele in the Great Charlotte,NC area. I grew up in gyms and stadiums, my mother was an Olympic High Jumper and my father owned a Fitness center in Cali, Colombia. I played Soccer through out High School and College. I also did Road and Track Cycling for several years until I moved to the States. Since then I ran, played soccer and went to the gym. I stopped playing soccer 3 years ago after a knee injury that let me a whole long year without beign able to run, I did physical rehab but I was advised by the doctor to quit soccer for life if I wanted to keep walking. I started running seriously again in 2012 did a 5K and kept building a strong base again since I stopped for so long without any exercise. Since I loved cycling and running I decided to incorporate swimming as well, I started training for Tri 4 months ago with one of the Sprint programs designed by BT, and I am loving it. FAMILY STATUS: Married 10 years ago, three beautiful kids: 8, 4, 2 CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for my first Sprint, and I will focus on Olympic after Spring. 2014 RACES: My first Sprint race: Tri Mayberry, NC on 4/13, and Tar Heel 4 miler on 4/26. Don't know if the races are too close from each other. WEIGHTLOSS: I am feeling great right know 177 lbs. 6'2". Very healthy and balanced nutrition. Looking forward to learn from you guys.

Welcome, Julian!

I don't think the races are too close together. Two weeks should be plenty of time to race both!

So glad to hear that you're loving tri training Maybe we can get some nutritionally balanced meal ideas from you

2014-01-03 9:54 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hey can I hang!?! 

USERNAME: Donto (aka Don)

STORY: 2 days away from my last year in 45-49 AG!  I live in Central East coast of Florida.  Been active with running & Tris since 2002, a year after our 2nd child was born when my wife and I decided we need to get back to an active lifestyle.  Lost my training mojo in 2012 after a great 2010-2011 with an injury, was able to get back into training this past year but not with enough consistency.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful woman (runner) and have two kids; 12 yo girl, 14 yo boy (both are club swimmers)

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running, not enough (any) swimming and biking will be kicking in soon with learning how to use power.  Also my wife has goten our family to do 30 day challenges which we are all starting with the Planks, I also have started doing the Burpee challenge but I don't see myself doing 100 in 30 day, I may stretch that one to 100 in 100 days!

2013 RACES: I PR a local sprint 0.3mi/15.4mi/3.4mi mostly because was able to avg 23.5mph on the bike as it was my focus in training.  Did a team Olympic with my Son who swam the 1500 meters in 23', 18 yo God son biked and I did the10k. It was fun to see the "kids" get out there and race hard, I couldn't let them down on the run!  Did a Turkey Trot 10k too.

2014 plans and RACES:  A swim dad friend got me to sign up for a March 22nd HIM, that's only 11 weeks away, eek!  I also reg for the local Sprint again which is on June 1st.  I have listed as probable events a Duathlon at the end of the month and a 10 miler on March 2nd but only if I am able to stay injury free.  Will throw in a 5k or 10k in Feb.  Since its running season in FL right now I pretty much have my pick of run races to do until early May. 2nd half of 2014 is TBD.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm a good 13lb over race weight right now, good riddance to the holidays!

Edited by Donto 2014-01-03 9:54 AM
2014-01-03 10:06 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Donto

Hey can I hang!?! 

USERNAME: Donto (aka Don)

STORY: 2 days away from my last year in 45-49 AG!  I live in Central East coast of Florida.  Been active with running & Tris since 2002, a year after our 2nd child was born when my wife and I decided we need to get back to an active lifestyle.  Lost my training mojo in 2012 after a great 2010-2011 with an injury, was able to get back into training this past year but not with enough consistency.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful woman (runner) and have two kids; 12 yo girl, 14 yo boy (both are club swimmers)

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running, not enough (any) swimming and biking will be kicking in soon with learning how to use power.  Also my wife has goten our family to do 30 day challenges which we are all starting with the Planks, I also have started doing the Burpee challenge but I don't see myself doing 100 in 30 day, I may stretch that one to 100 in 100 days!

2013 RACES: I PR a local sprint 0.3mi/15.4mi/3.4mi mostly because was able to avg 23.5mph on the bike as it was my focus in training.  Did a team Olympic with my Son who swam the 1500 meters in 23', 18 yo God son biked and I did the10k. It was fun to see the "kids" get out there and race hard, I couldn't let them down on the run!  Did a Turkey Trot 10k too.

2014 plans and RACES:  A swim dad friend got me to sign up for a March 22nd HIM, that's only 11 weeks away, eek!  I also reg for the local Sprint again which is on June 1st.  I have listed as probable events a Duathlon at the end of the month and a 10 miler on March 2nd but only if I am able to stay injury free.  Will throw in a 5k or 10k in Feb.  Since its running season in FL right now I pretty much have my pick of run races to do until early May. 2nd half of 2014 is TBD.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm a good 13lb over race weight right now, good riddance to the holidays!

Welcome, Don! 

Which HIM are you training for? The one in Clermont? 

11 weeks! Looks like it is time to get in the pool!

2014-01-03 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Welcome, Don! 

Which HIM are you training for? The one in Clermont? 

11 weeks! Looks like it is time to get in the pool!

Yes the Florida Challenge in Clermont.  It's a C-race and since its a wetsuit race I know I can survice the swim with 11 weeks of training!  Its the bike that will be a focus, all the well know climbs are involved with the course layout. There are a couple of die-hards locally that OWS with wetsuits in the winter in the Lagoon so I'll be joining them once my yardage builds up before race day.

2014-01-03 2:41 PM

User image

Elaine,

Absolutely I will help as much as I can with nutrition, recipes and very easy cooking techniques for those who doesn't like to eat their veggies. jajaa

2014-01-03 4:24 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Chef Segreto Elaine, Absolutely I will help as much as I can with nutrition, recipes and very easy cooking techniques for those who doesn't like to eat their veggies. jajaa

Awesome!

On a nutrition note - I'm cutting dairy and gluten for January. I tried an elimination diet a few weeks (months?) ago, but it got cut short by being fed MREs. 

I had a section of intestines removed ~11 years ago now. My digestive system has never quite functioned properly since then (TMI!), so I was trying to pinpoint.

I felt really good while on it - but I think part of that is taking out virtually every processed food. So, we'll see how it goes!

2014-01-03 5:38 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Chef Segreto Elaine, Absolutely I will help as much as I can with nutrition, recipes and very easy cooking techniques for those who doesn't like to eat their veggies. jajaa

Awesome!

On a nutrition note - I'm cutting dairy and gluten for January. I tried an elimination diet a few weeks (months?) ago, but it got cut short by being fed MREs. 

I had a section of intestines removed ~11 years ago now. My digestive system has never quite functioned properly since then (TMI!), so I was trying to pinpoint.

I felt really good while on it - but I think part of that is taking out virtually every processed food. So, we'll see how it goes!

This is definitely awesome!  My wife and I were just talking about needing to mix up our meals a bit more now that the kids are older and not as fussy as they once were.

I quite drinking dairy milk and cut back a lot of cheese last year as I was expereincing bloating and was trying to determine if that was the cause.  I couldn't give up my Almond milk now.

2014-01-04 9:57 AM

User image

I would like to join the group.

Username: perrykvn (Kevin)

Story: I am a logistics manager from Charlotte, NC. I have played sports all my life (wrestling, soccer) but blew my knee out and stopped playing competitively. In 2013 the day after the Superbowl I started to that my health seriously. I was overweight, tired and sick of the way I looked. Previously I would sign up for a race here and there and train a little to get ready. This time I made a commitment to run some type of race each month. I ran my first 5k in 36:11 and could not run the entire race. My next race was an obstacle course/mudrun (Spartan Sprint). It was 39 degrees and raining but I loved it. After that I added to my goal of completing the Spartan Trifecta which included a 8 mile and 15 mile obstacle/mudruns. By June I had lost close to 40lbs and added another goal: run the Disney Marathon in January 2014 (one week away). I needed a qualifying race of at least a half marathon so I scheduled my first in September 2013 and finished in 2:11 and learned a lot about distance running. In December 2013 I ran my last race of the year a 5k in 23:58 more than 12 minutes faster than my first 5k of the year. I hit all of my goals in 2013 and have set even higher goals for 2014.

2014 goals: Finish the Disney Marathon (not competing for time), Complete the Spartan Trifecta again, race at least 14 races in 2014. Run the Disney Dumbo Double Dare which is a 10k on Sat and a 1/2 marathon the next day. Run my first triathlon (sprint), run an international or olympic distance triathlon and my biggest goal of 2014 is to complete the Beach to Battleship 1/2 ironman in October 2014.

Family: a very loving and understanding wife of 11 years. My son (8) and my little girl (4). I also have great inlaws that have watched our kids while I have gone out on long runs or races whenever I my wife was working.

I think my running is my strongest discipline with biking second. I wanted to join this group because I will need the most help with my swimming. I feel I am a good swimmer but I cannot breath without lifting my head. I have a friend the swims masters that will hopefully help me with this but any techniques or drills that will help are greatly appreciated.
2014-01-04 3:29 PM

Master
Northern IL

Finished a nice trainer ride. Love this combination. Took a really big ride from Training & Racing with a Power Meter and adapted it down to a big trainer ride that also fits into a pair of Sufferfest videos. Lots of strong riding, but not totally busting yourself on the intervals. 2:45 total. Think I have everyone friended to see it.

Edited by brigby1 2014-01-04 3:32 PM
2014-01-05 8:55 AM

User image

Julian,

Just wanted to say hello since I am new to the sport and live in the Charlotte area (Kannapolis). I have run a lot of races and have mountain biked for a while but have never been a competitive swimmer. If you ever want to get together to train let me know. I plan on my first Tri being in White Lake in April. My big goal for 2014 is to do race a half ironman (Beach to Battleship) in Wilmington in October.

Kevin Perry

2014-01-06 12:38 AM
in reply to: perrykvn

User image

Pro

Originally posted by perrykvn I would like to join the group. Username: perrykvn (Kevin) Story: I am a logistics manager from Charlotte, NC. I have played sports all my life (wrestling, soccer) but blew my knee out and stopped playing competitively. In 2013 the day after the Superbowl I started to that my health seriously. I was overweight, tired and sick of the way I looked. Previously I would sign up for a race here and there and train a little to get ready. This time I made a commitment to run some type of race each month. I ran my first 5k in 36:11 and could not run the entire race. My next race was an obstacle course/mudrun (Spartan Sprint). It was 39 degrees and raining but I loved it. After that I added to my goal of completing the Spartan Trifecta which included a 8 mile and 15 mile obstacle/mudruns. By June I had lost close to 40lbs and added another goal: run the Disney Marathon in January 2014 (one week away). I needed a qualifying race of at least a half marathon so I scheduled my first in September 2013 and finished in 2:11 and learned a lot about distance running. In December 2013 I ran my last race of the year a 5k in 23:58 more than 12 minutes faster than my first 5k of the year. I hit all of my goals in 2013 and have set even higher goals for 2014. 2014 goals: Finish the Disney Marathon (not competing for time), Complete the Spartan Trifecta again, race at least 14 races in 2014. Run the Disney Dumbo Double Dare which is a 10k on Sat and a 1/2 marathon the next day. Run my first triathlon (sprint), run an international or olympic distance triathlon and my biggest goal of 2014 is to complete the Beach to Battleship 1/2 ironman in October 2014. Family: a very loving and understanding wife of 11 years. My son (8) and my little girl (4). I also have great inlaws that have watched our kids while I have gone out on long runs or races whenever I my wife was working. I think my running is my strongest discipline with biking second. I wanted to join this group because I will need the most help with my swimming. I feel I am a good swimmer but I cannot breath without lifting my head. I have a friend the swims masters that will hopefully help me with this but any techniques or drills that will help are greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the group, Kevin!

One week out to your marathon! How are you feeling?

2014-01-06 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

If you're still open, I'd like to join this group, no off season for me this winter!

Dewybuck/ Dean Buckley/ TriDB (twitter)

Story Ex Military now in business, started endurance events while serving in the British Military a few and some more years back.  Completed my first Tri in 2007, moved to the USA 4 years ago and have enjoyed a number of races here, (Tri, Marathon, trail) etc.  Northern Virginia seems excellent for it!

Family status Married, with four great kids (10,6,3 and 1).

Current Training Running, running, bit more running and then a little sufferfest on the trainer.

2014 Races - Jurassic Coast Challenge.  three trail marathons in three days.  21st-23rd March (hence no off season)

Also signed up for IM CdA.

Goal for JCC is to finish top 50 (was placed 49th last year when I had to bail for injury)

Goal for IM CdA is to finish my first IM!!!

ETA: My wife also asked me to complete the Run 1000 miles in a year challenge with her.  so that's in there too!

Edited by dewybuck 2014-01-06 8:36 AM
2014-01-06 9:25 AM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL
I started the week with a 5.5 mi run, felt great!

Miami Marathon - half - is 27 days away

2014-01-06 9:39 AM
in reply to: ccjr

Master
Northern IL

Made it all the way through Masters again last night (the longer session at that), so swimming should be coming back together. Still disappointing to see the times, but good to see things looking up again.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 15

RELATED POSTS

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98478 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15885 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29162 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : January 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on the off season, maximum amount of days one should be running, heart-rate zone testing and outdoor off season strength workouts.
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.