BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-03-08 5:48 PM
in reply to: pvfd304

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Subject: RE: New Year New You...reopened for late comers
Wetsuit demo:

Learned that the TYR Freak wetsuit is:

A: Very expensive ($1200)
and
B: Very Fast!

Wow, that suit swims by itself. Hard to believe the speed and distance you get after the catch.

I've never swam in a wetsuit so I had nothing to base my review on but EVERYONE in the pool raved about the "Freak" Hard to believe that it is USAT legal. I don't think I'll ever be in the market for a high end wetsuit but it was nice to try it out. Sort of like when I did a demo ride of a $10,000 Giant Propel Advance roadbike. Nice to get a chance to try it out.

Looking forward to my open water swims this summer now. The flotation of the wet suit really aids in my body position.

2014-03-08 11:21 PM
in reply to: #4915235

Hi all,
Neil sorry to hear things have been tough. To everybody else, sounds like progress is being made......congratulations.
I've been playing hermit trying to finish some things for work that had solid deadlines. Between that and some family obligations I've been without a workout for a week and a half......making me crazy. Got back in the pool today. Had built up to 700m prior to my hiatus with a 300m continuous swim as my longest effort. Picked up today pretty much where I left off. 200m warm up and cool down with 300m drillwork. Didn't push hard wanting to ease back in without tweaking anything. Feel like I can start to ramp back up pretty quickly. Stroke feels much smoother. Will be looking for another coached session soon.

Knee is making slow progress. Just had a bike fit in preparation for the physio turning me loose to ride. Wow. The guys that sold me the bike did a reasonable job, but certainly not what you'd call a real fit. Fortunately the frame is close so the bike's not a loss. She moved my cleats back and seat down just slightly and my knees/ankles/calves LOVED it. Also found my bars are too wide and have me too far out in front so a little downsizing on the front end. I feel like I have more control and I'm not tensing my lower leg nearly as much to pedal. Wish I'd done that a year ago.

Still not allowed to run.

But overall my fitness is better and I'm down 5lbs since Christmas (it was 8lb but when I work late hours I get the munchies.....something to work on), so all together progress is being made.

Hope everyone is well.

Matt
2014-03-08 11:57 PM
in reply to: mgk

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by mgk

Hi all,
Neil sorry to hear things have been tough. To everybody else, sounds like progress is being made......congratulations.
I've been playing hermit trying to finish some things for work that had solid deadlines. Between that and some family obligations I've been without a workout for a week and a half......making me crazy. Got back in the pool today. Had built up to 700m prior to my hiatus with a 300m continuous swim as my longest effort. Picked up today pretty much where I left off. 200m warm up and cool down with 300m drillwork. Didn't push hard wanting to ease back in without tweaking anything. Feel like I can start to ramp back up pretty quickly. Stroke feels much smoother. Will be looking for another coached session soon.

Knee is making slow progress. Just had a bike fit in preparation for the physio turning me loose to ride. Wow. The guys that sold me the bike did a reasonable job, but certainly not what you'd call a real fit. Fortunately the frame is close so the bike's not a loss. She moved my cleats back and seat down just slightly and my knees/ankles/calves LOVED it. Also found my bars are too wide and have me too far out in front so a little downsizing on the front end. I feel like I have more control and I'm not tensing my lower leg nearly as much to pedal. Wish I'd done that a year ago.

Still not allowed to run.

But overall my fitness is better and I'm down 5lbs since Christmas (it was 8lb but when I work late hours I get the munchies.....something to work on), so all together progress is being made.

Hope everyone is well.

Matt

Welcome back Matt. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the weeks to come. Glad to hear that you got a proper bike fit; it can make a world of difference with comfort, efficiency, and strength.
2014-03-09 2:31 PM

User image

Hey all! Sorry I've been out a while. I was sick this past week and missed a ton of workouts. Kind of unfortunate on the heels of a recovery week, but at least I feel well rested now that I'm over it.

The swimming is going great so far. We're starting to work on endurance, so I'm gaining some more confidence that I'll be able to finish my distance. This morning I did 6x100 yards with 10 seconds rest in between. Then, my coach had me working on breath control for 350 changing the number of strokes between breaths with each length. First and fourth length of every 100 breathing every third stroke (this is what I normally do), second and third breathing every fifth. It wasn't too bad until that last length of 5 strokes. I also swam a total of 2600 this morning, which felt great.

And it's finally warm enough to do something outside! It's supposed to be 60 the next 2 days, so I plan to make use of that. I got a pretty good run in just now. Forgot how much I love running at about 45F. Beautiful. And managed 3.9 miles in 32 minutes: not bad after a week of being sick.

Hope everyone else's training is going well and that injuries are subsiding quickly!
2014-03-09 6:53 PM
in reply to: Wumba41

User image

New to Tri. Can I join in the group?

Heather
2014-03-09 11:56 PM
in reply to: kturnity

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by kturnity

Hey all! Sorry I've been out a while. I was sick this past week and missed a ton of workouts. Kind of unfortunate on the heels of a recovery week, but at least I feel well rested now that I'm over it.

The swimming is going great so far. We're starting to work on endurance, so I'm gaining some more confidence that I'll be able to finish my distance. This morning I did 6x100 yards with 10 seconds rest in between. Then, my coach had me working on breath control for 350 changing the number of strokes between breaths with each length. First and fourth length of every 100 breathing every third stroke (this is what I normally do), second and third breathing every fifth. It wasn't too bad until that last length of 5 strokes. I also swam a total of 2600 this morning, which felt great.

And it's finally warm enough to do something outside! It's supposed to be 60 the next 2 days, so I plan to make use of that. I got a pretty good run in just now. Forgot how much I love running at about 45F. Beautiful. And managed 3.9 miles in 32 minutes: not bad after a week of being sick.

Hope everyone else's training is going well and that injuries are subsiding quickly!

Awesome swimming :-)
great job...
6x100 yd with only 10 seconds rest isn't easy. keep up the great work... Glad to hear that you're feeling better :-)

2014-03-10 12:01 AM
in reply to: Dolcezza

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by Dolcezza

New to Tri. Can I join in the group?

Heather

I haven't heard anything yet about he group being closed.
So, (unofficially), welcome to the group. Neil will officially welcome you ;-)

Would you mind telling us more about who you are and what got you interested into triathlons? Do you have a background with swimming, bicycling, running? Have you already signed up for a triathlon and which one? And, what would you like to get most from our group?
2014-03-12 10:37 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

GROUP FOCUS: An all around group with focus up to middle distance, all abilities and experience welcome.

NAME: Dolcezza (means "sweetness" in Italian) Heather

STORY :I Have been through the refiner's fire over the past 4 years with some serious health problems. Looking to regain my life, achieve some goals, and be healthy.

I like the idea of being in a group where you actually get to know people on a more personal level. I don't know many people in the forums.... actually I don't know ANYONE in the forums... I can tell a lot of the people out there know each other, however I am a TOTAL THREAD KILLER. I comment on posts and then the post ends..... I am totally laughing about this now. So the thought of getting to know people in an actual group is probably better for me.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced for 7 years, 3 Children: 2 still at home ages 17 and 11.

CURRENT TRAINING: alternating running, swimming and bike trainer, but need a better training program.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: signed up for a century ride in June and an Olympic distance Tri in July. Will sign up for more events in the future.

Goals: Losing the weight I gained the past few years, increase my fitness level, HEALTHY.

Thank you.

2014-03-13 12:43 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

GROUP FOCUS: An all around group with focus up to middle distance, all abilities and experience welcome.

STORY :I Have been through the refiner's fire over the past 4 years with some serious health problems. Looking to regain my life, achieve some goals, and be healthy.

I like the idea of being in a group where you actually get to know people on a more personal level. I don't know many people in the forums.... actually I don't know ANYONE in the forums... I can tell a lot of the people out there know each other, however I am a TOTAL THREAD KILLER. I comment on posts and then the post ends..... I am totally laughing about this now. So the thought of getting to know people in an actual group is probably better for me.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced for 7 years, 3 Children: 2 still at home ages 17 and 11.

CURRENT TRAINING: alternating running, swimming and bike trainer, but need a better training program.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: signed up for a century ride in June and an Olympic distance Tri in July. Will sign up for more events in the future.

Goals: Losing the weight I gained the past few years, increase my fitness level, HEALTHY.

Thank you.

"serious health problems"? Hopefully you are on you way back to "being healthy". =)

The two events you are doing. How much recovery time do you have between them (whole month or couple weeks or days)? What is the longest bicycle distance that you've done? What is your current training during the week and/or weekends? What running and swimming experience do you currently have? Do you know what kind of terrain you'll be riding and running for the events (including elevation climbing, etc)?

Keep in mind I don't know your level of experience. If you've never done a triathlon before, it might be of interest to see about squeezing in a shorter distance Sprint Triathlon prior to July. This will give you a little bit of experience to help you through the Olympic distance =)

Our group has people from different levels of experience, abilities, backgrounds, and knowledge. Hopefully our group can/will help you reach your goals... =)
2014-03-13 12:52 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by pvfd304

Wetsuit demo:

Learned that the TYR Freak wetsuit is:

A: Very expensive ($1200)
and
B: Very Fast!

Wow, that suit swims by itself. Hard to believe the speed and distance you get after the catch.

I've never swam in a wetsuit so I had nothing to base my review on but EVERYONE in the pool raved about the "Freak" Hard to believe that it is USAT legal. I don't think I'll ever be in the market for a high end wetsuit but it was nice to try it out. Sort of like when I did a demo ride of a $10,000 Giant Propel Advance roadbike. Nice to get a chance to try it out.

Looking forward to my open water swims this summer now. The flotation of the wet suit really aids in my body position.

That is one awesome wetsuit. Too bad that the $1200's is about $1200 out of my price range. LOL...
I've read much about it, and it's unbelievable how far advance it is compared to others that are just a couple hundred $$$'s cheaper...

I've been thinking about getting an Orca brand wetsuit; they are well priced and appear to be entry level to meet my needs. However, I know that with my weight (not quite the slimmest of people), my kids would have a field day at making jokes at my expense... =
Have you had any experience with Orca or any other entry level suits?
2014-03-13 1:04 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Is anybody familiar with these items?

http://www.nytro.com/triathlon-packages/buy/tri-starter-package/
$1999.98 for the package

Tri Package includes:

2014 Cannondale Slice 5 105 Triathlon Bike
2014 Blue Seventy Fusion Wetsuit - (Men's) or (Women's)
2XU Active Tri Top - (Men's) or (Women's)
2XU Active Tri Short (Men's) or 2XU Comp Tri Short (Women's)
Shimano TR31 Tri Shoes
Shimano R540 Pedal/Cleats
Bell Lumen Helmet
Nytro Transition Bag
Nytro Water Bottle
Nytro Water Bottle Cage
Nytro Hybrid Race Belt

2014-03-13 4:28 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
A pretty good article with some open water swim tips. The workouts listed in the article might not be at your level, but there's some good information...

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1917
2014-03-13 8:00 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
not sure, haven't seen it. I would look at the reviews for the first 2 items and see if the value is there.......the rest is a bonus.
2014-03-14 7:41 PM
in reply to: RobR

User image

Veteran
Central VA
* Welcome Dolcezza. Lots of different experiences here to learn from.

* That package from Nytro looks to be a good value. Don't know how they are doing it, REI list the Slice 5 at $2100.

* Going to get back to training on Sat. Sinus Infection had me knock out most all week.

2014-03-19 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
I haven't had time to post any more of the articles lately, sorry...
will be posting again in the next couple days though. I finally have a break from "everything else". LOL

Couple things to keep in mind for bicycling (comes to mind only cause I've almost got hit 3 times by a motored vehicle within the last week)

* Always assume that drivers cannot see you
* Always position yourself so you are in view
* Avoid riding during dusk or dawn (sun level is low and will blind driver's view; even if you are riding away from the sun, left turn drivers are facing the sun)
* Be alert
* Pay attention to the cars wheels. it's easier to see a wheel of a car rotating to indicate that it's moving...

Be safe everybody... Be Safe!!! =)

Edited by [email protected] 2014-03-19 12:43 PM
2014-03-19 5:05 PM

User image

Hi folks

Apologies been a manic time at work recently, calmed down a bit now so will be back and posting. Hope all is good and welcome Heather. I'm in the gym tomorrow evening and will post a bit when I'm done. I daren't say this but my back and hip are improving, early morning (6am) spin bike sessions before work seem to be helping and loads and loads of stretching too, feel like an elastic band!

Keep at it folks. Neil

2014-03-19 5:12 PM

User image

Ok folks here’s a bit on stretching, very important after a workout and as part of daily life. Stretching is really important we all know this, your body knows it, but somehow not all of do it consistently and well and that's why have been suffering.

When you exercise is that your muscles tighten, they contract when running, biking, swimming, doing crunches and pushups, lifting weights, or whatever else it is you do to keep in shape. Often people spend a lot more time making their muscles tighter than they do lengthening them. When this tightening of muscles becomes imbalanced, certain muscles are stronger and tighter and start pulling at areas of your body which leads to pain. For example, if your quads and hip flexors are tight from biking or running, they can pull the femurs further forward than they want to be which can lead to back, hip, and knee pain. Often the muscles on the front of the shoulders are tighter and stronger than those in the back, pulling the head of the humorous (upper arm bone) forward which can create shoulder, neck, wrist and other pain.

To get us started below are detailed a few basic and vital stretches that will work the major muscles that are used in running and cycling. Do these each time you have been out, hold for about 30 seconds, and remember to breathe when doing them!

Thigh (Quad) Stretch - Stand with your feet slightly apart. Bend your right foot back and up toward your buttocks, and grasp it with your right hand. Balancing on your left leg, pull your right foot up with your right hand. To help you balance, pick a stationary spot in front of you to stare at and lift your free arm out to the side. You should feel the stretch in your thigh. Release and switch sides.

Hamstring Stretch - Stand with one leg just in front of the other, bend the back knee and rest your weight on the bent knee, tilt the hips forwards, as if sticking your bum in the air!

Calf Stretch - Stand with right leg straight and behind you. Your left leg should be bent in front of you. Place most of your weight onto your left leg. Push the heel of your right foot down toward the ground, and slightly shift your weight back keeping your torso upright. You should feel a stretch in your right calf. For a deeper stretch, you can face a wall and push against it for leverage. Release and repeat on the opposite side.

Groin Stretch - Sit with your feet in front of you. Place the bottoms of your feet together, and let your knees fall to the sides. Grasp your ankles and pull your feet toward you, as close as possible. While holding your ankles, place your elbows on the inside of your knees and push them down. You should feel the stretch in your groin area.

For those with ankle/heel (achilles) pain this could help. - Stand facing a wall at about arm's length away. Stand with both feet facing straight ahead - parallel - not turned out, even a small amount. Put one foot on the wall at knee height. Press that heel toward the wall. Look down and see if the foot you are standing on is facing directly ahead. Make that standing foot straight, not turned out; not even a little. Do not lean toward the wall. Lift your chest until you are standing straight. Don't let your hip curl under or your standing knee or hip bend. Smile, relax shoulders, and breathe.

For those with a 'pain in the butt' the glute muscles need to be stretched. These are big muscles and can often lead to pain in the legs and lower back, its important to stretch these as well, I suffer with bum pain and are part of my regular stretching routine. Here's a good one.

Lie on floor or mat. Bend knees with feet on floor. Cross lower leg over thigh of other leg. Grasp back of thigh of lower leg with both hands. Pull leg toward torso. Hold stretch. Repeat with opposite leg.

Photos on the attached document,

Attachments
----------------
Stretching.doc (170KB - 6 downloads)
2014-03-19 5:19 PM

User image

Thank you.

Hi Heather, apologies for the delay in replying, great to meet you! Tell me more about where you are now in terms of being ready for the century ride and the Olympic tri, what's the plan to get there? I hope your health problems are behind you, and I challenge you to try and kill a thread on here, that should be fun! I look forward to hearing from you. Neil
2014-03-19 5:32 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by Wumba41

Thank you.

Hi Heather, apologies for the delay in replying, great to meet you! Tell me more about where you are now in terms of being ready for the century ride and the Olympic tri, what's the plan to get there? I hope your health problems are behind you, and I challenge you to try and kill a thread on here, that should be fun! I look forward to hearing from you. Neil

Heather can't kill this thread. I post way too much on here. Even if nobody reads it, I'll keep posting... LOL
Maybe dormant, but not kill... ;-)
2014-03-19 6:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Central VA
David,
Just checking on your training for the Tour ride next month. 6 weeks to go!

<---- Riding with Team Red, Got my website and photos up now. :-)

I've gotten in some long rides on the weekends so far. Weather looks good for this weekend. Running a 5K race on Sat and then I'll be out for a ride afterwards. So glad Spring is here.

Edited by pvfd304 2014-03-19 6:57 PM
2014-03-20 3:01 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

David,
Just checking on your training for the Tour ride next month. 6 weeks to go!

<---- Riding with Team Red, Got my website and photos up now. :-)

I've gotten in some long rides on the weekends so far. Weather looks good for this weekend. Running a 5K race on Sat and then I'll be out for a ride afterwards. So glad Spring is here.

I'm doing pretty good with the training. Not as far along as I would like to be. But, I am not quite as nervous as I was at the first of the year.

I took a week off after the swim meet to just get back to work, personal, family life. I was working out pretty hard and was successful for the swim meet; I have to work twice as hard for next year though cause my son is literally right behind me.

Anyways.......
I've been commuting to/from work still. I'm getting in some more longer distance rides in this weekend (both Saturday and Sunday). I'm going to a spin class now once a week, and it's kicking my butt. Which only means that there are a number of areas for improvement. What's going through my mind more than anything is "Even if I'm only able to do 6 mph for the last part of the ride, I will still cross the finish line." If the ride was this weekend, I think I can still do it, but I know there is still a lot of preparations needed.

How are you doing with your training? You have a metric century, correct? I remember, same day that I'm riding. Tour de Cure =)
I'm already looking into signing up for another Tour de Cure for October (different city). It's a metric century and one that I've done for the last two years ;-)

2014-03-20 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Other than the cold weather and ice/snow, my training is doing OK. Took a spin class 2x week since December and I think it has helped me get though the winter without losing much ground.

2014-03-21 12:00 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Other than the cold weather and ice/snow, my training is doing OK. Took a spin class 2x week since December and I think it has helped me get though the winter without losing much ground.

I just found out that there is another spin class at the gym on Thursday nights as well. I went to half of it (didn't realize they were having it so showed up half way through). I need to make arrangements to ensure that I'm there when the class starts... LOL

Last night I talked to somebody who is more familiar with the Tour de Cure ride in Long Beach. He was making me nervous by talking about bridge, winds, and other things. Hopefully, I won't have any problems; for that matter, hope my son doesn't have any problems (he's doing the metric century).

To say the least, I'm excitedly nervous about the whole thing... LOL
2014-03-23 2:23 PM

User image

I'm sure you all know just how important developing a strong core is to triathlon. Strong core muscles decrease the risk of injury and are the centre for all movement. Here's a link to a great routine on here that I have started to use, build it slowly if you don't usually use these exercises, feel a good stretch but not pain, if you do then pull out the exercise.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
2014-03-23 2:24 PM

User image

hey David, I have a simple view on life, if something 50% excites you and 50% scares you then do it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.