BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-03-23 2:26 PM
in reply to: pvfd304

User image

Subject: RE: New Year New You...reopened for late comers
Originally posted by pvfd304

Other than the cold weather and ice/snow, my training is doing OK. Took a spin class 2x week since December and I think it has helped me get though the winter without losing much ground.

I love spin classes, even during the season they help to sharpen fitness, a great cardio workout.

2014-03-23 2:30 PM

User image

Wetsuit demo:

Learned that the TYR Freak wetsuit is:

A: Very expensive ($1200)
and
B: Very Fast!

Wow, that suit swims by itself. Hard to believe the speed and distance you get after the catch.

I've never swam in a wetsuit so I had nothing to base my review on but EVERYONE in the pool raved about the "Freak" Hard to believe that it is USAT legal. I don't think I'll ever be in the market for a high end wetsuit but it was nice to try it out. Sort of like when I did a demo ride of a $10,000 Giant Propel Advance roadbike. Nice to get a chance to try it out.

Looking forward to my open water swims this summer now. The flotation of the wet suit really aids in my body position.

The difference in a wetsuit is amazing isn't it, all the issues in the pool with trailing legs and body position are taken away. The beauty is that you are able to focus on a good stroke and forget the legs, the advantage being it keeps them fresh for the bike and run. I barely kick in open water. On a training swim wearing a suit can help with body position for when in the pool, it naturally gets you into a great position. Don't forget to point the toes backwards and not downwards or they will act as an anchor.
2014-03-23 2:31 PM
in reply to: mgk

User image

Originally posted by mgk

Hi all,
Neil sorry to hear things have been tough. To everybody else, sounds like progress is being made......congratulations.
I've been playing hermit trying to finish some things for work that had solid deadlines. Between that and some family obligations I've been without a workout for a week and a half......making me crazy. Got back in the pool today. Had built up to 700m prior to my hiatus with a 300m continuous swim as my longest effort. Picked up today pretty much where I left off. 200m warm up and cool down with 300m drillwork. Didn't push hard wanting to ease back in without tweaking anything. Feel like I can start to ramp back up pretty quickly. Stroke feels much smoother. Will be looking for another coached session soon.

Knee is making slow progress. Just had a bike fit in preparation for the physio turning me loose to ride. Wow. The guys that sold me the bike did a reasonable job, but certainly not what you'd call a real fit. Fortunately the frame is close so the bike's not a loss. She moved my cleats back and seat down just slightly and my knees/ankles/calves LOVED it. Also found my bars are too wide and have me too far out in front so a little downsizing on the front end. I feel like I have more control and I'm not tensing my lower leg nearly as much to pedal. Wish I'd done that a year ago.

Still not allowed to run.

But overall my fitness is better and I'm down 5lbs since Christmas (it was 8lb but when I work late hours I get the munchies.....something to work on), so all together progress is being made.

Hope everyone is well.

Matt
Thanks Matt, and the update reads well, how's things progressing with the knee since you posted?
2014-03-23 2:33 PM
in reply to: kturnity

User image

Originally posted by kturnity

Hey all! Sorry I've been out a while. I was sick this past week and missed a ton of workouts. Kind of unfortunate on the heels of a recovery week, but at least I feel well rested now that I'm over it.

The swimming is going great so far. We're starting to work on endurance, so I'm gaining some more confidence that I'll be able to finish my distance. This morning I did 6x100 yards with 10 seconds rest in between. Then, my coach had me working on breath control for 350 changing the number of strokes between breaths with each length. First and fourth length of every 100 breathing every third stroke (this is what I normally do), second and third breathing every fifth. It wasn't too bad until that last length of 5 strokes. I also swam a total of 2600 this morning, which felt great.

And it's finally warm enough to do something outside! It's supposed to be 60 the next 2 days, so I plan to make use of that. I got a pretty good run in just now. Forgot how much I love running at about 45F. Beautiful. And managed 3.9 miles in 32 minutes: not bad after a week of being sick.

Hope everyone else's training is going well and that injuries are subsiding quickly!
Great work on the swimming Katie, that sounds like excellent progress, confidence is such a big factor, you'll be flying soon. How's the running?
2014-03-23 2:35 PM
in reply to: RobR

User image

Originally posted by RobR

not sure, haven't seen it. I would look at the reviews for the first 2 items and see if the value is there.......the rest is a bonus.
Hey Rob, how's training going buddy, let me know
2014-03-23 2:41 PM
in reply to: Wumba41

User image

Things are moving in the right direction for me at last. I managed 5 x 30 minute spin sessions last week along with good stretching and strength. The pain in my back and quad is reducing and I am able to walk pretty freely too, so good news! I have also been selected as a volunteer to support the first 2 stages of the Tour de France this year which are about 60 miles away from here in the UK, that will be ace!

2014-03-24 12:20 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by Wumba41

hey David, I have a simple view on life, if something 50% excites you and 50% scares you then do it!

Too funny...
I did a couple bike rides this weekend. Saturday 40 miles and Sunday 50 miles. I met a guy who is on the committee for the Tour de Cure. I got some really good insight of some of the areas and strategies. =)
2014-03-24 12:26 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Things are moving in the right direction for me at last. I managed 5 x 30 minute spin sessions last week along with good stretching and strength. The pain in my back and quad is reducing and I am able to walk pretty freely too, so good news! I have also been selected as a volunteer to support the first 2 stages of the Tour de France this year which are about 60 miles away from here in the UK, that will be ace!

That is awesome, Neil (your progress). Recovery is such a long road..... Sounds like you're getting closer to the end of that road =)

(sticking tongue out) :-P (Tour de France volunteer). I am ssssoooooo jealous. LOL
That is AWESOME that you'll be volunteering for the first 2 stages!!!
2014-03-24 1:12 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Saturday (40 miles) and Sunday (50 miles) rides were a success =)

In preparation of the Tour de Cure in April, I took my son to a beginner group ride on Saturday. We road just under 9 miles to the meeting place. Met new people. Had a relaxing ride at about 16 mph. And then road home. We did about 40 miles. My son wasn't sore and I was refreshed and ready for Sunday.

On Sunday, I went to an Intermediate/Advance group ride. I will admit, this was my first official group ride. There were 13 people and wow, we were moving (17mph in river bed; 22mph on open road along the coast; max speed 30mph). Had a great time meeting new people and getting to know everybody. With the multiple rest stops, it wasn't dramatically hard and I also felt refreshed; just a little tight in the legs later in the day. 50 miles for Sunday was a blast. It appears they will be going further next week; I'm so much looking forward to it... =)

I just signed up for another Tour de Cure for October 25th. The longest distance is 62 miles; both my son and I are registered... WOO HOO!!!
2014-03-24 7:56 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Great exercises Neil, thanks for sharing
2014-03-24 8:06 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Hey Neil,

I lost my way a little I'm afraid. I trained for the 8 mile race in Feb but only on the treadmill and I ended up injuring myself in the race. I didn't let it heal and then a week later 7k into a 14k run I blew my calf good and proper. It means I can't run the Waterloo Half next month and this will be my 3rd aborted attempt at a Half M. Its sooo frustrating.

I've been swimming consistently but the winter has been so brutal up here that I still have not been on a bike yet this year. Sunday was the 2nd day of spring and it was -18c wind chill. To compound the last few weeks work has been insane leaving me exhausted.

My plan now is my first sprint tri in June. I'm into week 2 of a 13 week plan ( I became a gold member here and downloaded a really good plan). I know this is just a wobble along the road and am still committed to the process. Can't wait for the temps to get above 0 and to get some fresh air in my lungs. Still on for the UK Ironman 2016.....I haven't forgotten! LOL

2014-03-25 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4915235

Sorry I've been so out of the loop on here. I was just skimming thru some of the last posts and it sucks that some of us are injured including myself!

Just like Rob I too have to bak out on my HM training due to ankle issues.. It's so frustrating being prone to injuries. I just wanna run!!

Has anyone ever had foot issues? I don't think it's plantar fasciitis, more of a nerve strain issue.. I have two back to back races beginning of May.. One is a 6.2 mountain train run and the following week is Ragnar relay and I have the 12 mile leg ?? .. Been two weeks off running but the pain is still there. Running out of time
2014-03-25 2:19 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Hey Neil,

I lost my way a little I'm afraid. I trained for the 8 mile race in Feb but only on the treadmill and I ended up injuring myself in the race. I didn't let it heal and then a week later 7k into a 14k run I blew my calf good and proper. It means I can't run the Waterloo Half next month and this will be my 3rd aborted attempt at a Half M. Its sooo frustrating.

I've been swimming consistently but the winter has been so brutal up here that I still have not been on a bike yet this year. Sunday was the 2nd day of spring and it was -18c wind chill. To compound the last few weeks work has been insane leaving me exhausted.

My plan now is my first sprint tri in June. I'm into week 2 of a 13 week plan ( I became a gold member here and downloaded a really good plan). I know this is just a wobble along the road and am still committed to the process. Can't wait for the temps to get above 0 and to get some fresh air in my lungs. Still on for the UK Ironman 2016.....I haven't forgotten! LOL

Major ouch Rob with the injury. Hope your calf heals properly soon....

Has swimming gotten easier? Have you been keeping up with the drop in class on Sundays?

UK Ironman 2016... wow... That sounds like it would be one AWESOME experience. Let me know if you need a support team; I'll join... =) LOL
2014-03-25 2:23 PM
in reply to: slowpokee

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by slowpokee

Sorry I've been so out of the loop on here. I was just skimming thru some of the last posts and it sucks that some of us are injured including myself!

Just like Rob I too have to bak out on my HM training due to ankle issues.. It's so frustrating being prone to injuries. I just wanna run!!

Has anyone ever had foot issues? I don't think it's plantar fasciitis, more of a nerve strain issue.. I have two back to back races beginning of May.. One is a 6.2 mountain train run and the following week is Ragnar relay and I have the 12 mile leg ?? .. Been two weeks off running but the pain is still there. Running out of time

(major sad face)
I just came across an article that is stating more on the building of muscle, strength, endurance, and other things without the "running".

While you are experiencing the problem, there might be some other exercises that you can do to build up your running performance without the actual running. This will help keep you moving forward without putting the pressure/strain directly on your injury. =)

I honestly don't know if this will help, but might at least give you direction...
http://about.mapmyfitness.com/2014/03/how-to-increase-your-enduranc...
2014-03-25 7:12 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Rob,

I feel your pain brother, I injured my calf last spring. I wish I had a good story but I was just walking down some steps at work when something snapped and the intense pain started. Couldn't walk on it for several days. It turned a nasty black and blue all the way down to my ankle.

All this happened three days before a planned metric century ride that included a 13 mile climb up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Took several weeks before I could get back on it.

2014-03-27 1:08 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
I'm feeling the pressure of April 27th breathing down my neck. I'm increasing my workouts just like I did to prepare for the swim meet. With hearing about all the injuries happening with our group, I just hope I don't become a non-op as well; not taking away from everybody who is injured, I don't have a car, so I rely on my legs to get me to/from work. Nervous.........

As mentioned... Saturday was 40 mile bike ride, Sunday was 50 mile bike ride, Tuesday was my first official 1 hour spin class, tonight will be my 2nd spin class. Hopefully this Saturday, I'll be going to Oceanside, CA to watch the triathlon going on there. And, on Sunday, I'll be doing another long ride (fingers crossed) maybe more towards 60-65 miles.

Hope everybody is moving forward. Would be great to hear where everybody is at and what they are doing (with or without injuries).
Is everybody on track with where they want to be in preparation for their events?

2014-03-27 4:34 PM

User image

Hey Neil,

Oh bad news Rob re the calf, but again as you say its a setback, that's all, rest it. Again the beauty of triathlon is there is always something that you can do. I thought swimming would be ok for me but found it was pulling my upper back, didn't think the spin bike would be a good idea but its working for me. Not too far away from my first very short very slow run now. Oh yes Ironman 2016, how could I forget that!
2014-03-27 4:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by [email protected]

I'm feeling the pressure of April 27th breathing down my neck. I'm increasing my workouts just like I did to prepare for the swim meet. With hearing about all the injuries happening with our group, I just hope I don't become a non-op as well; not taking away from everybody who is injured, I don't have a car, so I rely on my legs to get me to/from work. Nervous.........

As mentioned... Saturday was 40 mile bike ride, Sunday was 50 mile bike ride, Tuesday was my first official 1 hour spin class, tonight will be my 2nd spin class. Hopefully this Saturday, I'll be going to Oceanside, CA to watch the triathlon going on there. And, on Sunday, I'll be doing another long ride (fingers crossed) maybe more towards 60-65 miles.

Hope everybody is moving forward. Would be great to hear where everybody is at and what they are doing (with or without injuries).
Is everybody on track with where they want to be in preparation for their events?
David, sounds like you are bang on track to me buddy.
2014-03-27 4:38 PM

User image

Rob,

I feel your pain brother, I injured my calf last spring. I wish I had a good story but I was just walking down some steps at work when something snapped and the intense pain started. Couldn't walk on it for several days. It turned a nasty black and blue all the way down to my ankle.

All this happened three days before a planned metric century ride that included a 13 mile climb up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Took several weeks before I could get back on it.

shall we rename the group to The Injured Gang?!
2014-03-27 4:40 PM

User image

Originally posted by slowpokee

oh no another injury, it must be me, my apologies! Been pretty ok with my feet, first obvious question, have you ever had your feet looked at and a running shoe matched for them?
2014-03-27 4:41 PM

User image

I saw this and for a rookie it's pretty good advice!

http://www.dummies.com/DummiesArticle/Triathlon-Training-For-Dummie...

2014-03-27 6:19 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

That is some really good advice/information.

I'm still going back-n-forth about Olympic distance triathlon. The run will be the leg that kills me though... hehehe
See how my training picks up during the next couple months ;-)
2014-03-28 1:18 PM

User image

I'm still going back-n-forth about Olympic distance triathlon. The run will be the leg that kills me though... hehehe
nail a couple of sprints and see how you feel, you are strong in the water and bike already
2014-03-28 7:02 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

nail a couple of sprints and see how you feel, you are strong in the water and bike already

Looks like the triathlon that I've done for the last couple years isn't going to happen this year. At least the registration hasn't opened up for it. The web site is still showing last year's results. The triathlon is usually at the end of May. My fingers are crossed that they are just way behind on getting things ready for registrations, etc. :-
I found another sprint triathlon, but it's in early November. Was hoping to get a sprint distance in prior to doing an Olympic distance for the year. It's not looking like that will happen, unfortunately =(

I'm still training as if everything is moving forward like the way I want it. I figure it won't hurt to be more ready for next year ;-)
2014-03-29 12:55 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Thanks guys for all the support, it really helps to know there are others outside experiencing what we are going through.

So, as always we regroup and move forward. I still have 11 weeks until the sprint tri so there is time. My goal for this first tri is to enjoy it, experience it and learn from it!

I have a small sign and graphics business and I tell my staff "to err is human but to not learn from your mistakes is unforgivable".......well I've made the calf mistake too many times so its time to learn from it. Its still very sore but I can walk with minor discomfort. I'm going build the strength and flexibility very slowly. I'm going to spend time walking (yes it sounds weird doesn't it) and will build very slowly reminding myself constantly of the need to listen to my body and never increase more than 10% a week.

Reading and listening has humbled me somewhat and taught me that you have to 'do the time'.....meaning there are no short cuts, you put in the hours and build your ability to go faster and farther layer by layer. If an event is fast approaching and I'm not ready for it then too bad, I miss the event and move on to the next when I'm ready. We all put pressure on ourselves and we are goal driven but I want to be competing well into my 50's and to do that I have to be smarter than I am being right now.

I like Neil's goal of IM UK 2016 because its far out and leaves him plenty of time to prepare his body properly for it but is still real and will provide the motivation to do those 5.30am swims.

Had a great core workout this morning (I am a huge fan of these by the way so if you're not doing them try them) and I'm going for long bike ride (spin bike indoors of course) in a few minutes. Some rocks tunes, some sweat......good times.
Rob
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.