BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-06-02 5:18 PM
in reply to: kturnity

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Subject: RE: New Year New You...reopened for late comers
Originally posted by kturnity

Originally posted by RobR

well done Katie, your progress in the swim has been amazing! Hope the foot is getting better!

Thanks Rob! The good new on the foot is...it's just a bad strain. The bad news is...I had to take a week off biking and a couple weeks off running. I'll start biking again tomorrow, but I'm not supposed to run until this weekend (or next Wednesday depending on how it feels). Unfortunately, that means I'll be adding running back in with 2 weeks or less until my tri, just in time to start tapering. If anyone has any advice for what I should do those couple weeks that I can run, I'd really appreciate it. (For reference, I was doing 2 runs a week up until I hurt myself, one at 30 min, the other at 45, hitting about 8:30 miles.)

I'm still feeling pretty good about the swim. I did learn an important lesson though: don't work your triceps too hard on a Friday if you have a swim lesson on Sunday. I struggled yesterday because my arms were still tired and sore. But at least I know not to do that before my tri now. (=

One other question: as far as warming up before a tri, what do you all do? I've realized over the last couple weeks that I struggle through the first couple hundred yards of a swim while I'm still warming up. I know I can't swim a warm up before the race, so any ideas to get me going would be helpful.

Happy training!

Glad to hear that your foot isn't quite as bad as what it could of been. =)

During the time that you cannot run, you can still do a number of things that doesn't require impact to the foot. For example, you have high knee marching (works on range of motion in the hip area and set of muscles to help keep your legs from "dragging"), squats that don't go all the way down (works on your quads), and heal to butt (works on your running kick). There are many more, but it will keep the muscles going without hurting, damaging your foot any further.

During the weeks you can run, of course, work it in easy. You don't want to irritate the foot any further. Use a foot wrap, if you can to help keep the area compressed. Since you know that you can run the distance, I would save any pain and torture (re-irritate) until the day of the event; of course, get a feel here/there of what your foot can and cannot handle.

Not sure if I'm reading what you posted correctly, are you taking two weeks to taper? I normally only take one week. What do you do for tapering?

Lastly, swim warmups. Brian mentioned the venues usually have a warm up area. However, if they do not...
http://www.triswimcoachtips.com/dynamic-dry-land-warm-up/
This is just one of many ways... The point is to get your body moving with a combination of stretching without doing too many of the "stand still and stretch" while getting blood flowing to all muscles; you'll want some quick movements then slow steady movements... hope that makes sense...

Katie... Good Luck and message away if you have questions/concerns =)
Outside of your foot, I'm sure you are ready to GO!!! GO!!! GO!!!
Just like Rob, wish I could be there to cheer you on =)

2014-06-02 8:11 PM
in reply to: pvfd304

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
when I watched the tri last weekend there were plenty of people in the lake warming up. Some were jogging, some were riding bikes.......whatever your preference I guess dynamic stretching of some kind is good. Our water is still pretty cold so I am wary about a "warm up" swim.
2014-06-02 8:15 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
thanks David, I am very excited to compete for the first time. I intend to thoroughly enjoy the experience!

I did get a custom plan from this site (I became a member) and that plan has me tapering next week. It will be hard because I am thoroughly addicted to exercise right now.

Once I'm through this sprint tri I'm starting an 8 week program for the Olympic at the end of the season.....can't wait.
2014-06-02 8:19 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
sweet ride! Are you going to put aero bars on it?
2014-06-03 4:43 AM
in reply to: RobR

User image

Veteran
Central VA

sweet ride! Are you going to put aero bars on it?

Thought about it but I have a TT bike for races.
2014-06-03 4:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Originally posted by [email protected]

Originally posted by pvfd304

Off the Rails Race Report
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Amazing race... I looked at your splits and very impressive.
How did your times compare to last year?

How's your leg doing?

This was the inaugural event. Great course.

Leg is doing ok. They just feel tired. Did a 31 mile ride on Monday but I felt like I was running out of steam
after mile 20.

2014-06-07 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Did my first real open water swim this morning. Our Tri club sponsored a Open water Clinic with two very experienced swimmers. I did a lot better than I thought I would. I'm happy with my progress. I didn't freak out like I thought I would by not seeing the black line on the bottom. Sighting takes some work but we have a good lake to practice in.

If anyone has a chance to join a club, I highly recommend it. Great way to train and race with your local crew.
2014-06-07 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4915235

Tomorrow is race day
2014-06-07 8:31 PM
in reply to: mgk

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by mgk

Tomorrow is race day

Awesome!!! Good luck. Let us know how you do =)
(cheering from here)
2014-06-07 9:07 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by pvfd304

Did my first real open water swim this morning. Our Tri club sponsored a Open water Clinic with two very experienced swimmers. I did a lot better than I thought I would. I'm happy with my progress. I didn't freak out like I thought I would by not seeing the black line on the bottom. Sighting takes some work but we have a good lake to practice in.

If anyone has a chance to join a club, I highly recommend it. Great way to train and race with your local crew.

That is great to have the opportunity to be in a triathlon club. I looked into one, but all of the ones around me are not close. I've actually thought about starting a club, but I don't have enough people with interest to join in on a consistent basis.

Brian, keep up the great work and look forward to any posts that you can provide for pointers/tips. If you ever come to southern California for a triathlon, let me know; it would be pretty awesome to join you in the event.
2014-06-09 10:03 PM
in reply to: #5008721

First tri yesterday. Had a blast and raced well for me. Distances were 1/4-10-2mi. Finished in 1.02 and was 117/280 overall and 9/13 in AG. Not blistering but since I only started swimming in December I wasn't expecting to be MOP out of the water and my run was 75/283 after spending the last three weeks nursing a sore hamstring. Can't wait to do it again.

One question..... What do people do for nutrition during a sprint. I was sick as a dog when I got home and am guessing dehydration/electrolytes/carbs were at fault. I downed my water bottle and a Gatoraide during and after and had a peanut butter sandwich post race. After an afternoon on the couch feeling terrible I got up and ate everything in the fridge and felt better. Thoughts?

Matt

2014-06-10 10:31 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by mgk

First tri yesterday. Had a blast and raced well for me. Distances were 1/4-10-2mi. Finished in 1.02 and was 117/280 overall and 9/13 in AG. Not blistering but since I only started swimming in December I wasn't expecting to be MOP out of the water and my run was 75/283 after spending the last three weeks nursing a sore hamstring. Can't wait to do it again.

One question..... What do people do for nutrition during a sprint. I was sick as a dog when I got home and am guessing dehydration/electrolytes/carbs were at fault. I downed my water bottle and a Gatoraide during and after and had a peanut butter sandwich post race. After an afternoon on the couch feeling terrible I got up and ate everything in the fridge and felt better. Thoughts?

Matt

Major congratulations Matt!!! (high five)
What an accomplishment coming off of the injuries and other challenges. Hope you used your event as a learning experience. Being able to take the experience and understand where you need to build for next year and\or your next event.

To answer your question. For me, whenever I do a long distance event, I feel like I cannot get enough food and stuck in the kitchen for days... what I have been doing to help curve the "after event" hunger.

* make sure I eat before the event. Nothing heavy and don't eat a lot (half of what I normally eat)
* eat during the bike ride. Just eating one nutrition bar while riding helps keep energy up
* have a filling glass of milk. Helps restore a lot that was depleted and can hold you over til you get the next big meal

As your body gets used to exerting itself more and more. Your body will become more efficient in using your energy. Your hunger won't be there as often or as strong.

If you have ever donated blood, it's about the same with replenishing your body back to normal.

Great job again Matt :-)
2014-06-10 2:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by mgk

Matt

Great job, Matt!
Hopefully I can report back with results like this in a couple weeks!
2014-06-10 3:09 PM

User image

Hey everyone! It's great to see we've had some success so far this year! Hopefully I can say the same in a couple weeks. I have managed to start running again, but just short runs to ease back into it. I did a bike/run last night (6 miles & 1.5 miles). Didn't feel too bad then, but my foot hurt this morning. It seems to have gotten much better as the day goes on, so hopefully it's alright.

I decided to Google map my bike course today to see the terrain: there's good news and bad news. The bad news is, there's a 1.3 mile hill 4 miles in. The good news is, after the 5.5 mile mark, the entire course is downhill. I'm hoping that makes things a little easier on the run. (It also explains why the bike times for this course seemed pretty quick.)

I guess all that's left to do now is get out there an do a practice open water swim, ease back into running, and practice some transitions. I think the next 12 days are going to go by faster than I would prefer. It seemed like I had forever to get ready and suddenly, race day is almost on top of me!
2014-06-10 10:09 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Hey everyone! It's great to see we've had some success so far this year! Hopefully I can say the same in a couple weeks. I have managed to start running again, but just short runs to ease back into it. I did a bike/run last night (6 miles & 1.5 miles). Didn't feel too bad then, but my foot hurt this morning. It seems to have gotten much better as the day goes on, so hopefully it's alright.

I decided to Google map my bike course today to see the terrain: there's good news and bad news. The bad news is, there's a 1.3 mile hill 4 miles in. The good news is, after the 5.5 mile mark, the entire course is downhill. I'm hoping that makes things a little easier on the run. (It also explains why the bike times for this course seemed pretty quick.)

I guess all that's left to do now is get out there an do a practice open water swim, ease back into running, and practice some transitions. I think the next 12 days are going to go by faster than I would prefer. It seemed like I had forever to get ready and suddenly, race day is almost on top of me!

That's great news about your foot getting better =)

Hills are 50% physical and 50% mental. On the physical side of things, you want to have the "sweet gear" found as soon as you start feeling the increased tension without going into too easy of a gear. Shift to an easier gear one at a time to find your gear that gives you both speed and tension. The mental part is that the tension you have for flats can and should be the same as hills. The more you think hills instead of leg feel, the worse the hill will be physically. At least this is what I have been set on when I ride. I see so many people dropping all the way on the gears cause of a hill and they lose speed (slower you go, longer the hill appears and takes)

Downhills make sure you keep your legs moving with tension so they don't tighten up before the run...

Hope this information helps...
Good luck and let us know your progress leading up to the event =)
2014-06-11 8:05 AM

One other thing to put on your to-do list if you haven't already.........bike-run brick. Nothing quiet like the feeling of coming off the bike and trying to run. My legs felt like really heavy jello for the first 100 yds and then I found a stride that worked.

2014-06-11 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Congrats Matt,

My sprint diet on race day starts with a bagel and peanut butter with coffee when I wake up. Sometimes 1/2 banana. I take a CliffShot gel about 1/2 hr before the swim. Take a swig of Poweraid on the bike.

Pig out afterwards.

You shouldn't need a lot of nutrition during a sprint. I probably need the caffeine more than I need the carbs.

2014-06-15 5:23 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Hi everyone,

today was my first sprint tri (Cambridge Ontario) and it was a 750m / 30k / 6k. Times not yet on the site so I'll update the race when I get them

I have to say I loved it. so here's the breakdown

Swim
I only got my wetsuit last weekend so I did not get a chance to do an open water swim before the event. I had planned to swim freestyle with breaststroke mixed in for active recovery. I started off breaststroke and found that I was stuck behind a row of swimmers in front of me. I hardly swim freestyle at all. When I did I was out of breath very quickly which I put down to nerves. The water wasn't cold at all but very dirty and full of weeds. On the return section I freestyled more until I got a big swinging arm to the head. The shook me up a bit. Anyway, I finished in 17 mins plus change.

Takeaway: find a clearer lane to swim in even if the line is a bit longer. Try and swim further freestyle.

T1 - awful. I was in there an eternity, well over 3 minutes. Couldn't get my socks onto my wet feet and was really slow getting my wet suit off.

Takeaway: practice and get faster. I think experience will help of course.

Bike
the extended amount of breaststroke did a number on my glutes so I hurt for the first 5k. Then I found my legs and I raced pretty well. My chain jumped off on a climb at the 20k mark so I lost 45 secs off the bike. Bike was about an hour I think.

Takeaway: don't change gear as I'm pushing down heavily on a climb. Race faster earlier (glutes allowing)

T2 - much faster of course so nothing too much to worry about

Run
I have found in my brick work outs that I can't run at all for about 2 mins after I get off the bike. I mean I'm hobbling like an old man and my calves cramp like crazy. After about 5 mins I got into my stride and the calves let up a little. Ran past a lot of people. The course was horrible, all grass and lose trails, with crazy ups and downs, tree roots, etc. You had to be very careful how you ran and I certainly did not ran flat out. Time was 32:22 for the 6k.

My overall time was around 1:55 and I was 26/33 for the age group. It was fun, challenging, disappointing (in ways) and humbling all in one.
2014-06-15 5:32 PM
in reply to: RobR

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Hi everyone,

today was my first sprint tri (Cambridge Ontario) and it was a 750m / 30k / 6k. Times not yet on the site so I'll update the race when I get them

I have to say I loved it. so here's the breakdown

Swim
I only got my wetsuit last weekend so I did not get a chance to do an open water swim before the event. I had planned to swim freestyle with breaststroke mixed in for active recovery. I started off breaststroke and found that I was stuck behind a row of swimmers in front of me. I hardly swim freestyle at all. When I did I was out of breath very quickly which I put down to nerves. The water wasn't cold at all but very dirty and full of weeds. On the return section I freestyled more until I got a big swinging arm to the head. The shook me up a bit. Anyway, I finished in 17 mins plus change.

Takeaway: find a clearer lane to swim in even if the line is a bit longer. Try and swim further freestyle.

T1 - awful. I was in there an eternity, well over 3 minutes. Couldn't get my socks onto my wet feet and was really slow getting my wet suit off.

Takeaway: practice and get faster. I think experience will help of course.

Bike
the extended amount of breaststroke did a number on my glutes so I hurt for the first 5k. Then I found my legs and I raced pretty well. My chain jumped off on a climb at the 20k mark so I lost 45 secs off the bike. Bike was about an hour I think.

Takeaway: don't change gear as I'm pushing down heavily on a climb. Race faster earlier (glutes allowing)

T2 - much faster of course so nothing too much to worry about

Run
I have found in my brick work outs that I can't run at all for about 2 mins after I get off the bike. I mean I'm hobbling like an old man and my calves cramp like crazy. After about 5 mins I got into my stride and the calves let up a little. Ran past a lot of people. The course was horrible, all grass and lose trails, with crazy ups and downs, tree roots, etc. You had to be very careful how you ran and I certainly did not ran flat out. Time was 32:22 for the 6k.

My overall time was around 1:55 and I was 26/33 for the age group. It was fun, challenging, disappointing (in ways) and humbling all in one.

Congratulations!!!
That is so awesome on your success. I don't know if saying you shouldn't feel disappointed would help or not. You had a huge success considering where you started. Yes, you learned a lot during the race. But, so am I and I've been doing triathlons for three years now. You know what and where you need to work on, and you'll be more prepared for your next race.

Awesome job!!! You should be proud of your accomplishment (high five)
2014-06-22 2:22 PM
in reply to: #5009848

User image

Had my first sprint this morning and had a blast! Here's a quick breakdown:

Swim - 750m: time 19:17. Took a little longer than I wanted, but I got kicked a lot and got a bit off course. I swam the whole thing without a break, so overall, I feel great about it.
T1 - 2:27. Given the 300 us run to get there, I felt great about this time. There were only a couple girls in my group with a faster transition than me.
Bike - 13 miles: time 48:38. The hill at the beginning got me a bit. And the time includes dismounting, taking off shoes, then running into the stadium. Wish this was a little faster, but still happy with it.
T2 - 1:23. I thought this seemed a little slow, but there were only a few girls who did it faster.
Run - 5k: time 29:29. With the foot still acting up and not being able to run much leading up to the event, I'm happy with this time. I got a pretty bad cramp in my calf getting off the bike that lasted almost 2 miles. Once that worked out, it got much better.
Finish - all smiles...on the jumbotron! I guess that's one benefit to ending in a football stadium! Pretty cool to see myself up there as they called my name!

I had so much fun today. I thought I might puke at one point on the bike and the run was torture... And I'm completely ready to do it again! (=
2014-06-23 12:01 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Had my first sprint this morning and had a blast! Here's a quick breakdown:

Swim - 750m: time 19:17. Took a little longer than I wanted, but I got kicked a lot and got a bit off course. I swam the whole thing without a break, so overall, I feel great about it.
T1 - 2:27. Given the 300 us run to get there, I felt great about this time. There were only a couple girls in my group with a faster transition than me.
Bike - 13 miles: time 48:38. The hill at the beginning got me a bit. And the time includes dismounting, taking off shoes, then running into the stadium. Wish this was a little faster, but still happy with it.
T2 - 1:23. I thought this seemed a little slow, but there were only a few girls who did it faster.
Run - 5k: time 29:29. With the foot still acting up and not being able to run much leading up to the event, I'm happy with this time. I got a pretty bad cramp in my calf getting off the bike that lasted almost 2 miles. Once that worked out, it got much better.
Finish - all smiles...on the jumbotron! I guess that's one benefit to ending in a football stadium! Pretty cool to see myself up there as they called my name!

I had so much fun today. I thought I might puke at one point on the bike and the run was torture... And I'm completely ready to do it again! (=

Katie, Katie, Katie (high five)
Great job. And what an awesome reward to cherish the feeling of accomplishment. I am very happy to hear that you completed your event especially after coming off of an injury.

Hoping you get your well needed rest so you can focus on your next event properly and injured free.

Awesome job again (doing cartwheels). You were definitely prepared ;-)

2014-06-23 8:49 AM

User image

Thanks David! it definitely felt great to be able to finish. But I'm also definitely feeling the after effects of it this morning. Ouch.
Also, I realized I forgot to post my rankings!

Age Group: 12 of 40
Females: 46 of 178
Overall: 137 of 344

And I've already found my next race. (=
2014-06-23 10:43 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Thanks David! it definitely felt great to be able to finish. But I'm also definitely feeling the after effects of it this morning. Ouch.
Also, I realized I forgot to post my rankings!

Age Group: 12 of 40
Females: 46 of 178
Overall: 137 of 344

And I've already found my next race. (=

That is so awesome!!! Great job :-)
2014-06-23 8:15 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
I echo David's comments Katie well done, especially as your training was affected by the injury. You're a triathlete now!

The swim is wild isn't it....totally beyond expectation and so distracting with all the punching and kicking that its hard to focus on your swim!

Can't wait to hear about the next one, when is it?
2014-07-02 12:12 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
We are officially past the halfway mark for the 2014 year. During this time, we've had some great success and some great attempts and some unfortunate obstacles. Even with injury, even with struggles, and even with uncertainty, all of us has pushed ourselves to a level that is better than where we were at the beginning of the year. Each of us has placed challenges that would take ourselves outside of our comfort zones.

Because of this major milestone, I think it would be best to reflect on what you have done to get to where you are today. I usually start the month asking other to list out their goals, but I think it would be appropriate for each of us to "toot your horn". Hold your head up and take pride in what you've done for the first half of 2014. I'll start by listing the following...

* I finally officially beat my oldest son in the triathlon that we've been doing for the last three years; we both dropped our times majorly, so there would of been no shame in losing again (i just dropped more)... we all did very well =)
* I completed my first 100 mile bicycle ride; it wasn't easy, but with the training that I had and being mentally prepared, I was able to pace myself towards the end and not give up (I knew how my body would react at different effort levels and for how long, so I adjusted to finish)
* Lost 10 pounds from last year
* Increased my sprint speed on my bicycle officially yesterday; I hit 33.6 mph and only 1.4 mph from my dream of 35 mph (even though I cannot maintain that speed, knowing that I can get my tank to a speed on a flat surface, I'm very happy with my progress)

Everybody, list away =)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.