BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-07-11 6:11 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Subject: RE: New Year New You...reopened for late comers
well done David for your accomplishments so far and for being the driving force behind this forum. I'm not sure what has happened to our mentor so thanks for taking the lead!

I am a perennial "try something new but don't keep it going" kind of guy but this time triathlon seems to have come along at the right time in my life and I really love it;

accomplishments, well its got to be that I actually did a Sprint Tri. Since that sprint I've taken the lessons from it and trained accordingly. For the next one at the end of July I plan to swim the 750m in 17 mins, bike at 32kmh and run sub 5min kilometers which puts me at a target finish time of 1:24.

Sunday I start an 8 week sprint to olympic plan (the one from BT actually) so the training gets longer and more intense so I'm psyched about that.

Other than my own sprint tri, I proud that my 15 yo daughter seems to be building towards a triathlon. She's a runner but is back in the pool swimming 1500m after a couple of years off. Now I just have to get her on a bike which she isn't keen on.

I think as parents our kids see what we do and it rubs off on them, especially when we come back dripping with sweat but a huge grin on our faces!

2014-07-12 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Hey all,

Just getting back from a week at the beach. I had a minor setback last week, had a fall at work and I think I broke a rib(s). Too dumb to go to Dr. I read that it's nothing to do other than take pain killers and wait it out so I'm popping Motrin.

Pain isn't too pain except it hard to sleep at night. Laying down seems to make it much worse. Once I'm up and walking around it not too bad. Even took my bike on vacation and toured Charleston SC while I was there.

Swimming and running are out of the question for now. Looks like July will be my downtime.

Jumped on the scales after a week of bad eating and it shows. Need to buckle down on my diet. Can't eat like I did while I was running/swimming.

2014-07-14 1:39 PM
in reply to: RobR

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by RobR

well done David for your accomplishments so far and for being the driving force behind this forum. I'm not sure what has happened to our mentor so thanks for taking the lead!

I am a perennial "try something new but don't keep it going" kind of guy but this time triathlon seems to have come along at the right time in my life and I really love it;

accomplishments, well its got to be that I actually did a Sprint Tri. Since that sprint I've taken the lessons from it and trained accordingly. For the next one at the end of July I plan to swim the 750m in 17 mins, bike at 32kmh and run sub 5min kilometers which puts me at a target finish time of 1:24.

Sunday I start an 8 week sprint to olympic plan (the one from BT actually) so the training gets longer and more intense so I'm psyched about that.

Other than my own sprint tri, I proud that my 15 yo daughter seems to be building towards a triathlon. She's a runner but is back in the pool swimming 1500m after a couple of years off. Now I just have to get her on a bike which she isn't keen on.

I think as parents our kids see what we do and it rubs off on them, especially when we come back dripping with sweat but a huge grin on our faces!

That is great to hear that you are really driven to continue with triathlons. And, if you ever stop doing them, all of us will have to go to your place and pull you out of the house to get you back on track, right? hehehe

That is awesome that you are focused on the Olympic distance; I hope that you keep us all posted about what you are doing and your progress. I'm going to have to hold off until next year. Financially, I just can't do it. I'm in need of so much more equipment before I venture into Olympic distance. Trust me, I would need wetsuit minimum and would love to have a different bicycle. =)

It's so amazing what you are talking about with children and parents and the whole "rubs off". It's times like these that I realize just how much influence I have towards my kids. They pick up on the good and the bad. If you think about it, it's all about "belonging"; isn't that what we all want =)

Keep up the great work and continue to be an AWESOME role model =)
2014-07-14 1:49 PM
in reply to: pvfd304

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by pvfd304

Hey all,

Just getting back from a week at the beach. I had a minor setback last week, had a fall at work and I think I broke a rib(s). Too dumb to go to Dr. I read that it's nothing to do other than take pain killers and wait it out so I'm popping Motrin.

Pain isn't too pain except it hard to sleep at night. Laying down seems to make it much worse. Once I'm up and walking around it not too bad. Even took my bike on vacation and toured Charleston SC while I was there.

Swimming and running are out of the question for now. Looks like July will be my downtime.

Jumped on the scales after a week of bad eating and it shows. Need to buckle down on my diet. Can't eat like I did while I was running/swimming.

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch!!! Hopefully you heal well and quickly.

Hope you get back on track and that your injury doesn't get you too far off where you need/like to be =)

I know what you mean about the "downtime" and taking a break. It's so needed at times, even if it's in the middle of the season. I've taken a break from my eating restrictions and working out with less intensity. Don't get me wrong, been doing the commuting on my bicycle still, but haven't been to the gym. I had a fall on my bicycle just a couple weeks ago, so decided this is perfect for rest period... =)

But, with the last couple weeks. I've noticed major sluggishness with my bicycle riding. I've notice energy levels lower. I've noticed a bunch of other things as well...

I have 3 weeks to get back on track because of a ride on August 2nd. I think that this is what I do best though; I know how to buckle down and focus on a goal and drill myself to where I need to before an event.

Good luck with your recovery and hope to hear about your next event soon =) (you have an event coming up, right?)
Oh oh oh... I'm participating on the Tour de Cure in October. Is there another Tour de Cure in your area as well? I know about the one in April...
2014-07-14 2:12 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
It is unfortunate that Neil hasn't been able to get on here lately. I know that there has been a lot going on in his personal life and is understandable that his time is very limited. I can assure you that he has not forgotten us.

I'm in touch with him here-n-there via Facebook. He is doing well. He is progressing with his recovery. He has done a couple events to get him back to where he would like to be. He's also had to deal with a number of personal situations that go beyond just himself; I will not go into details knowing that those details should only be shared by him.

He does feel terrible about not being as involved as he intended.

With all that said, I know that I'm not the assigned "mentor" and that I don't have all the answers for everybody. It is, however, my intent to keep the group in communication with each other. Each of us has done one triathlon. So, each of us has "experience" that we can share. This is why we signed into the group to begin with, right?

We might not be complete newbies and we might not be elites, but we have helped each other up to this point; let's keep helping... =)

Rob, hope this answers your comment/question about Neil. I've been trying to see about him coming back in-n-out at least once in a while. And, thank you as well. It's comforting to know that my efforts are well received. Just hoping that everybody is benefiting =)
2014-07-14 9:15 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
don't know if "Erdinger Alkohofrei" is a sponsor of the events south of the border but up in Canada they are dishing it out for free after the events and its awesome. Here is a link http://www.mcclellandbeers.ca/products/erdinger/erdinger-alkoholfre...

the stuff tastes like real beer but its an awesome nutritious drink. If, like me, you struggle to give up beer and wine then try it. I noticed they were a big sponsor of the ITU sprints on TV aswell.

2014-07-15 11:51 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

don't know if "Erdinger Alkohofrei" is a sponsor of the events south of the border but up in Canada they are dishing it out for free after the events and its awesome. Here is a link http://www.mcclellandbeers.ca/products/erdinger/erdinger-alkoholfre...

the stuff tastes like real beer but its an awesome nutritious drink. If, like me, you struggle to give up beer and wine then try it. I noticed they were a big sponsor of the ITU sprints on TV aswell.

I've never heard of them or the beer. Pretty awesome though. I'll have to keep my eyes out for them =)

Thanks for the info
2014-07-17 11:42 AM
in reply to: kturnity

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
I'm going to start posting information from articles from magazines that I'm reading. I'm hoping that I will have no problems committing to one post a week.

The articles will consist of training ideas, strategy, and other useful information pertaining to triathlons and bicycling. I don't have any running or swimming magazines so that information might be limited.

Your input would be greatly appreciated should you come up with a specific topic that you are interested in knowing more about...
2014-07-26 10:08 AM
in reply to: #5015866

Hi guys. I've been off for a while as work has gotten very hectic. Training was going well up until this past week when work got the better of me. I have a race tomorrow tho so I'm trying to just pretend I've been tapering (rather than stopping cold turkey which was more the case :/ ). Just finished a short bike-jog that seems to have loosened the kinks. I'll let you know how this goes. Focus will be on finishing uninjured. Matt
2014-07-27 5:33 PM
in reply to: #5030807

So that worked out ok. Did the Crabman Sprint in S Kingstown Rhode Island. If anybody is in New England this is a great little race. Course is flat, fast and gorgeous. Finished 14/23 in my age group. I'm pretty happy for that being my first ocean race. People were complaining about the chop and currents. Couldn't find a good rhythm but my time was reasonable.
2014-08-02 12:46 PM
in reply to: mgk

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
well done Matt....can you post your times, would love to see how you are doing (and see how I'm doing too). Finished my second sprint last sunday. Was 17/25 in my age group (40-49). waiting for the race results so I can post my times too.

2014-08-02 4:49 PM
in reply to: #5031122

Sure Rob.
Swim 1/4 mile 8.53; bike 11 mi 39.08; run 3.5 mi 25.41
Swim measured short of 400m but the rollers were about three feet high and there was undertow. My bike pace was 17.4 mph by my computer but probably should have been faster. Totally gassed after swim. The run measured long (3.5ish) per race director. My mile splits were 7.20s which is an improvement for me. Takehomes: 1. Ocean swim not same as lake swim. Need to work on rhythm and pacing. 2. T2 was 2.20 bc the two bikes next to me were racked so close to mine I couldn't reach my shoes. Had to run all the way around the rack to get them. Need to set up better.
Throw your times up when you get them.
I'm starting to build for my toughest race this season, the Keystone Triathlon. 800m swim, hilly bike course. Can't wait
Matt
2014-08-03 4:48 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Hi Guys, here's my results from my second sprint last Sunday. I'm learning a lot and know that I'm not ready for an Olympic distance yet. I was very tired after this swim and despite training much better, my time and rank was very similar to my first tri. Still loving it though!

SPRINT TRI
Grimsby, Ontario
Canada
Trisport Canada
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m
Overall Rank = 107/199
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 17/25
Pre-race routine:

grapefruit and oatmeal for breakfast
Event warmup:light jog

Swim
17m 38s
750 meters
02m 21s / 100 meters

Comments: very cold (60F water temp) - swam mostly breaststroke and breathing felt very restricted

Transition 1 02m 5s

Comments: dizzy and had to sit but a full minute faster than my first sprint

What would you do differently?:stand up

Bike
50m 29s
25 kms
29.71 km/hr

Comments: the hill at the beginning is really nasty....could have done with a bigger rear cog. Had to grind hard and it took a lot out of me.

Transition 2 01m 9s

Comments:not bad, same as my first tri

Run
36m 42s
7 kms
05m 14s min/km

Comments: road running suits me better and I was faster this time. Would still like to get below 5m per km.

Post race
Warm down: chatted with my family who came to watch

What limited your ability to perform faster:
was very tired after the swim and then the hill up the escarpment. We spent too days at a resort prior to the event which I thought would be relaxing but in reality not sleeping in your own bed and eating restaurant food is not ideal before a race. Good times though.

Event comments:
prefer to swim in smaller lakes than lake ontario which was extremely cold.

2014-08-03 4:57 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Good stuff Matt, thanks for sharing. Agreed, Ocean swim (or for us Lake Ontario which is pretty close) is much harder than the small lakes. Colder temps too. The swim kicks my butt too......had a great lesson today where we pretty much focused on stroke length and getting the strokes down per 25m. It started to improve and I got down to 21 strokes per 25m at one point. I am convinced that unless I get the swim sorted out then I will struggle on the bike and run (no matter how well I train). So this winter is swim, swim, swim....good luck at Keystone!
2014-08-04 11:39 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by mgk

So that worked out ok. Did the Crabman Sprint in S Kingstown Rhode Island. If anybody is in New England this is a great little race. Course is flat, fast and gorgeous. Finished 14/23 in my age group. I'm pretty happy for that being my first ocean race. People were complaining about the chop and currents. Couldn't find a good rhythm but my time was reasonable.

Great job Matt...
Congratulations on your first ocean race. Hope it was a great experience for you and that you pursue many more. I've not done an open water "yet". I heard rumor that some of my son's friends are looking into a relay triathlon and they need a swimmer. Who knows, I might just get my foot in the door soon =)

Keep up the great work. Do what you can and enjoy the moments =)
2014-08-04 11:41 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

well done Matt....can you post your times, would love to see how you are doing (and see how I'm doing too). Finished my second sprint last sunday. Was 17/25 in my age group (40-49). waiting for the race results so I can post my times too.

Awesome, Rob!!!

How did the event go for you? Was it easier that the first event? Did you feel better prepared?
Looking forward to seeing your times =)

Do you have any other triathlons lined up in the near future?

Keep up the great work. Hope your swimming technique is getting better. You've come a very long ways and should be proud of your accomplishments =)

2014-08-04 11:47 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by mgk

Sure Rob.
Swim measured short of 400m but the rollers were about three feet high and there was undertow. My bike pace was 17.4 mph by my computer but probably should have been faster. Totally gassed after swim. The run measured long (3.5ish) per race director. My mile splits were 7.20s which is an improvement for me. Takehomes: 1. Ocean swim not same as lake swim. Need to work on rhythm and pacing. 2. T2 was 2.20 bc the two bikes next to me were racked so close to mine I couldn't reach my shoes. Had to run all the way around the rack to get them. Need to set up better.
I'm starting to build for my toughest race this season, the Keystone Triathlon. 800m swim, hilly bike course. Can't wait
Matt

Matt... on transition and depending on your shoes, you can have your shoes attached to your pedals and will be one less thing you have to reach for =)

Keep in mind also, you can be setup with an ideal transition that works for you. You then step away to start warming up. Next thing you know is during the race, you find that your items have been moved or like you experienced is the other bicycles being too close.

FYI: I usually strap on snacks and other items to my bicycle with painters tape. The only items on the floor is pretty much a throw bag and a towel. Everything else is literally on my bicycle =)
Viewing different transition videos will help you figure out what works best for you =)
2014-08-04 11:49 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by mgk

Sure Rob.
Matt

Matt... When is the next triathlon, Keystone Triathlon?

Good luck and post any questions that you might have and/or experiences that we can all learn from... =)
2014-08-04 11:52 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Good stuff Matt, thanks for sharing. Agreed, Ocean swim (or for us Lake Ontario which is pretty close) is much harder than the small lakes. Colder temps too. The swim kicks my butt too......had a great lesson today where we pretty much focused on stroke length and getting the strokes down per 25m. It started to improve and I got down to 21 strokes per 25m at one point. I am convinced that unless I get the swim sorted out then I will struggle on the bike and run (no matter how well I train). So this winter is swim, swim, swim....good luck at Keystone!

Awesome to hear about the stroke counts and how you are improving. Staying focused and making the needed adjustments is really making a difference, i'm sure. =)

I feel like a fish out of water right now. I haven't been in the pool for some time =(
Been focusing on other things like bicycling and cake orders... LOL
2014-08-04 11:59 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Rob,

Congratulations on your 2nd triathlon. Those are some really good times too.
With the choppy water, your time will most likely be slower than if you were in calmer waters. So with that being said and that you had a faster time from the first triathlon. GREAT WORK!!!

Still wish that all of us were not as far from each other. Would be great to cheer everybody while they are doing their event.

FYI: you are not too far from the Olympic distance triathlon. You will definitely need more endurance training and a good understanding of how to adjust for different complications during the race.

(high five)
2014-08-04 12:35 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Lessons Learned

Sounds like everybody is having a very successful season so far. People are posting the good and the bad of their experiences with their triathlons. Even though my next triathlon is on November 2nd and I'm only doing the bicycle leg, I've been doing what I can to keep up with training and focused on a number of aspects that go outside of "normal" training.

On August 2nd, I did a 50 mile organized bicycle tour, Tour de Big Bear. It was the most fun that I've ever had with a bicycle ride. With traffic controlled, I only had to stop like 3-4 times cause of red lights. It felt great not having to stop at every intersection. The ride was very hilly and I knew that I was going to have trouble because of my derailleur not working properly; my chain would slip on load which means that going up hills my chain would slip constantly. I now have a new derailleur and will be replacing it very soon (like today)

1) Know your bicycle inside and out
*** I had a mechanic look at my bicycle knowing about the chain slipping on gear 4
*** By the time he made the adjustments and I was on the road for the event, I had gears 2 - 6 slipping with no gear 7 available; it was worse than before the guy did anything
*** At the first aid station, I adjusted my gears to where I was only slipping on 3 and 4; just happens to be the main gears that I use too (shaking head)
2) Know the weather and prepare accordingly
*** Big Bear Lake is at 7000+ feet elevation and usually in the mid 70's during this time of year
*** Saturday was mid to low 60's with rain in the forecast
*** I saw cyclist with sleeveless jerseys and shorts with no extra jackets for the rain
*** about 40 people were treated for hypothermia
3) Know your route
*** Knowing that the roads would be hilly, I pumped up my tires to almost the maximum pressure to get the least resistance and more efficient riding
*** Didn't anticipate all the bumps and potholes on the back roads and was tempted to let out some air to help with making the ride a little smoother
*** Witnesses a fellow rider making a wrong turn
*** Was told by another rider that "the worse was behind us", so I pushed myself harder to only find out that there was another monster set of hills towards the finish; legs were numb by the time I finished
4) Know what foods work for you
*** Witnessed people getting sick cause of either eating too much before or during the ride, or they ate something that wasn't settling properly
*** Salts, Salts, and Salts... salt helps with keeping your body hydrated. when you sweat, you are sweating out salts as well. without these salts and proper hydration, you'll be facing cramping, quicker fatigue, and other possible dehydration problems

One last thing is that when you are in an event that is at a different altitude than what you are used to, make sure that you stay up at the higher altitude a couple days prior to get acclimated to the change. I live at an altitude of about 35 feet and road in Big Bear at an altitude of about 7000 feet; oxygen levels are "MUCH" different.

2014-08-05 3:01 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
From Bicycling Magazine September 2014 pg 66 (not full article)

10 Small Changes for Huge Results

1) Wake Up, Drink Water - you are dehydrated when you wake up and your body needs the water to help carry nutrients and oxygen to your muscles
2) Sleep an Extra Hour - when increasing your workout load, give your body the extra time needed for recovery and repair
3) Eat Like Eddy Merckx - eat unprocessed and whole foods give your body the natural nutrients it needs without the extra weigh down of processed chemicals
4) Breathe Dammit - decades of studies have confirmed that mindful breathing can trigger a relaxation response that defuse stress and lowers blood pressure
5) Go Tubeless - ditch inner tubes for a smoother and more comfortable ride, and maintenance-free convenience
6) Join a Pack - motoring along in a pace line doesn't just save you energy, group workouts also fuel motivation
7) Size Your Saddle - the human crotch isn't designed to bear weight
8) Go Low - many cyclists focus on keeping a high cadence, but forget bike specific strength work, which helps you ride stronger and faster
9) Roll With It - it takes 10 minutes of massage to enhance post workout recovery so you can ride strong day after day
10) Swing for Strength - use a kettle bell to strengthen your pedaling muscles as well as stabilizing your midsection
2014-08-07 11:18 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Quick and easy video on how to adjust your rear derailleur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HAzcTjfVq34
2014-08-12 7:03 AM

User image

Hey everyone!

Things have been a little crazy lately and I haven't had a chance to post much or check in.

I had my first 100 mile bike ride on Saturday, so most of my training lately has been geared towards the bike. I never thought I'd be able to (or want to) ride 100 miles on a bike in one day, but it was one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. You could tell the ride meant so much to so many people - there were people cheering along the course all day. Some towns came out in full force and treated it like a parade - cheering, cowbells, signs, the works. Without those supporters (and a great team of co-workers to ride with), I'm not sure I would have made it through the hilly section at the end of the course. If any of you happen to live close enough to Ohio, I highly recommend looking into Pelotonia next year. Very well organized, a lot of fun, and for a great cause.

And now my next tri is in 19 days. So after just a couple of days off, it's right back to training. I do have to stop in at the doctor and have a few things checked out - I'm starting to feel like I'm falling apart. Still having problems with the foot I hurt hiking and now after Saturday's ride, I sometimes get a weird, stinging pain by my left shoulder blade when I extend my arm. It almost feels like somebody is stabbing me with a bunch of needles. Hopefully it's nothing major, so I can make it through this next tri and a 4 miler in September and then give myself a nice long rest.

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts yet, but it sounds like we're having some good seasons so far. Keep up the good work - checking in on everyone's progress keeps me motivated to keep pushing!

KT
2014-08-12 3:27 PM
in reply to: kturnity

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by kturnity

Hey everyone!

Things have been a little crazy lately and I haven't had a chance to post much or check in.

I had my first 100 mile bike ride on Saturday, so most of my training lately has been geared towards the bike. I never thought I'd be able to (or want to) ride 100 miles on a bike in one day, but it was one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. You could tell the ride meant so much to so many people - there were people cheering along the course all day. Some towns came out in full force and treated it like a parade - cheering, cowbells, signs, the works. Without those supporters (and a great team of co-workers to ride with), I'm not sure I would have made it through the hilly section at the end of the course. If any of you happen to live close enough to Ohio, I highly recommend looking into Pelotonia next year. Very well organized, a lot of fun, and for a great cause.

And now my next tri is in 19 days. So after just a couple of days off, it's right back to training. I do have to stop in at the doctor and have a few things checked out - I'm starting to feel like I'm falling apart. Still having problems with the foot I hurt hiking and now after Saturday's ride, I sometimes get a weird, stinging pain by my left shoulder blade when I extend my arm. It almost feels like somebody is stabbing me with a bunch of needles. Hopefully it's nothing major, so I can make it through this next tri and a 4 miler in September and then give myself a nice long rest.

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts yet, but it sounds like we're having some good seasons so far. Keep up the good work - checking in on everyone's progress keeps me motivated to keep pushing!

KT

Congratulations on the Century Ride... It is such an awesome feeling and milestone in the cycling community. (high five) When I did my first century ride, there were so many other cyclists who were supporting each other to keep going. We didn't have the crowds of people cheering; it was mostly cars honking... LOL... I'm looking forward to doing another century now that I know I can do it =) Too bad I'm not close enough to Ohio =
I hope your foot gets healed properly soon and that you are not re-injuring it or prolonging the healing process. Ouch on the left shoulder pains. Are you seeing a doctor about it? Did the pain start right after the century? if so, pay close attention to your positioning on your bicycle; you are using your arms, shoulder, neck, and stomach muscles more that you know ;-)

Keep us posted on how your training and triathlon goes (in 19 days)

Congratulation again =)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.