BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-12-18 3:30 PM

User image

Subject: New Year New You...reopened for late comers
GROUP FOCUS: An all around group with focus up to middle distance, all abilities and experience welcome.

NAME: Wumba41 / Neil

STORY: Started running about 10 years ago to lose weight and get fit. Found I loved it and started running 10k races, then half marathons and then marathons. I'd always fancy having a crack at triathlon so joined a local club to learn how to swim front crawl, and after a lot of blood sweat and tantrums managed my first sprint triathlon in 2009. Like the running I increased the distance and have done a lot of Olympic distance races. I have also always been interested in coaching and took British Triathlon and British Cycling qualifications and have been coaching in a local club for a couple of years which I love and have had some great results helping people complete their first triathlons.

FAMILY STATUS: Married guy with two teenage daughters, both part of the group I coach

CURRENT TRAINING: 2013 has been a difficult year as I have been injured since April and had a couple of eye operations which mean am still unable to train, next spell of physio starts in January and I am hoping to start light training by the end of January, very frustrating!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Started the year with a number of running races in the winter and a duathlon before the back injury. Managed a couple of 10k road races in the summer but injury prevented any triathlons this year

2014 RACES: Simple goals - recover from injury, build fitness, then plan races, target is a couple of sprints and an Olympic (fingers crossed)!

WEIGHTLOSS: Lost 44 pounds since I started running 10 years, just a by product of exercise

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I will make a great mentor as I love helping people achieve their goals, either sport or life related. I am a very approachable, enthusiastic guy, committed to supporting others in my world. I am a reasonably experienced triathlete, and started as a couch potato, coupled with this is the coaching qualifications and experience that I have built up across all disciplines. I am also a business coach and help people develop confidence and reach their goals. I will create a friendly, supportive, happy and above all fun group, and will give it my all, bring it onl.

Edited by Wumba41 2014-01-23 4:33 PM

2013-12-22 6:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Subject: RE: New Year New You...OPEN!
Name: pvfd304/Brian

STORY: Five years ago, my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. That lit the fire in my belly to change my lifestyle and try to provide a positive example on how to live a life that includes physical exercise. I began biking and completely changed my diet. Lost 50 pounds. Entered a local 5K for the first time in 2010 and thought "hey, I think I can do a Tri". Have four sprints in the books now and looking forward to more.

FAMILY: Married for 19 years, one daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently member of the YMCA so I have a good place to train during the winter months. My spinning instructor is a triathlete and coach's the local university's cross country team. Joined the local Tri Club for 2014. Hope to get some additional training and inspiration there. Biking is my true passion in this sport and my training record reflects that.
Swim: 12634.25 Yd
Bike: 2803.06 Mi
Run: - 131.41 M

2013 season: Did a Sprint in April. A couple of big group bike rides and a few 5k's. Due to a leg injury that slowed me down and life just getting in the way, I didn't do anymore triathlons this year.

2014 season:Two different events changed their dates, so I now have a 65 mile Tour de Cure ride and a Sprint Tri during the same weekend. My winter training is to prepare to survive that. Hope to do my first open water swim race in Sept.

2014 GOALS: working my swimming form, increase my run performance.

WEIGHT LOSS: I am 6'4" and currently 215. Goal to lose 5 pounds after Christmas.

Strava: http://app.strava.com/athletes/177696

Edited by pvfd304 2013-12-22 6:46 AM
2013-12-22 9:15 AM
in reply to: Wumba41

Would like to join......

Name: Matt/ mgk

Experience: NONE

Family: two kids 9 and 7, a wife, and a brand new puppy

I'm somewhere between a 'couch to sprint' and a beginner. Was a fair distance runner once upon a time but life (two kids and a time intense job) got in the way. Started road biking last year as running was getting boring and found I loved it.......a little too much. About 500 miles in I got injured and had to back off. Probably a 'too much too soon' injury that seems to be resolving. I've started swimming a little to get some cardio while I'm off the bike for the winter. Doc says the indoor trainer will re-aggravate my knee and I should just chill on the bike til spring. I love racing, havent' had enough time to do it, but Tri looks like a lot of fun.

I'm aiming to be in shape for the Tri-It Sprint Triathlon in Delaware in June. Very flat, fast and short: 440 swim/10mi ride/2mi run. Then if not injured hoping to do two or three more Sprint events in July/August.

My biggest barrier to all of this will be time. Given my work schedule (80ish hours a week) and two kids, baseball coaching and the like, I think I can reasonably expect to train about 6-8 hours a week. My current fitness is reasonable. Was planning to start in the pool and in the gym with core strength and weights and then get outside in a month or so when the doc says my knee is safe.

Would love any thoughts or advice.

Thanks,

Matt
2013-12-22 2:56 PM
in reply to: pvfd304

User image

Originally posted by pvfd304

Hey Brian thanks for setting the ball rolling and being the first to sign up, great to 'meet' you! I love your story regarding how your daughter kicked you into life and losing the amount of weight over a prolonged period is a great achievement and the best way of doing it. Looking forward to helping you this year.

Merry Christmas and a very happy, healthy, peaceful 2014

Neil

Name: pvfd304/Brian

STORY: Five years ago, my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. That lit the fire in my belly to change my lifestyle and try to provide a positive example on how to live a life that includes physical exercise. I began biking and completely changed my diet. Lost 50 pounds. Entered a local 5K for the first time in 2010 and thought "hey, I think I can do a Tri". Have four sprints in the books now and looking forward to more.

FAMILY: Married for 19 years, one daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently member of the YMCA so I have a good place to train during the winter months. My spinning instructor is a triathlete and coach's the local university's cross country team. Joined the local Tri Club for 2014. Hope to get some additional training and inspiration there. Biking is my true passion in this sport and my training record reflects that.
Swim: 12634.25 Yd
Bike: 2803.06 Mi
Run: - 131.41 M

2013 season: Did a Sprint in April. A couple of big group bike rides and a few 5k's. Due to a leg injury that slowed me down and life just getting in the way, I didn't do anymore triathlons this year.

2014 season:Two different events changed their dates, so I now have a 65 mile Tour de Cure ride and a Sprint Tri during the same weekend. My winter training is to prepare to survive that. Hope to do my first open water swim race in Sept.

2014 GOALS: working my swimming form, increase my run performance.

WEIGHT LOSS: I am 6'4" and currently 215. Goal to lose 5 pounds after Christmas.

Strava: http://app.strava.com/athletes/177696

2013-12-22 3:01 PM
in reply to: mgk

User image

Originally posted by mgk

Hi Matt

Welcome aboard, great to have you in the group. A busy schedule is common in triathlon, I seem to have a million and one things to do every week on top of work but the good news is you can still comfortably train for a sprint on the 6 to 8 hours you think you have (I have trained for Olympic races on less). The key is schedule training train and stick to it, yes I know easy to do, difficult to do! Let's work on that as we progress, looking forward to helping you.

Merry Christmas and a very happy, healthy, peaceful 2014

Neil

Would like to join......

Name: Matt/ mgk

Experience: NONE

Family: two kids 9 and 7, a wife, and a brand new puppy

I'm somewhere between a 'couch to sprint' and a beginner. Was a fair distance runner once upon a time but life (two kids and a time intense job) got in the way. Started road biking last year as running was getting boring and found I loved it.......a little too much. About 500 miles in I got injured and had to back off. Probably a 'too much too soon' injury that seems to be resolving. I've started swimming a little to get some cardio while I'm off the bike for the winter. Doc says the indoor trainer will re-aggravate my knee and I should just chill on the bike til spring. I love racing, havent' had enough time to do it, but Tri looks like a lot of fun.

I'm aiming to be in shape for the Tri-It Sprint Triathlon in Delaware in June. Very flat, fast and short: 440 swim/10mi ride/2mi run. Then if not injured hoping to do two or three more Sprint events in July/August.

My biggest barrier to all of this will be time. Given my work schedule (80ish hours a week) and two kids, baseball coaching and the like, I think I can reasonably expect to train about 6-8 hours a week. My current fitness is reasonable. Was planning to start in the pool and in the gym with core strength and weights and then get outside in a month or so when the doc says my knee is safe.

Would love any thoughts or advice.

Thanks,

Matt
2013-12-22 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4915235

So here is my first question......I have road bike and some decent running shoes, but have never swum competitively. What do I need to start? I'm thinking a pair of goggles and a suit other than my board shorts? Any suggestions for either? Anything else? And starting out I'm thinking about long slow distance right? Thanks much. Matt

2013-12-23 10:35 AM

User image

New user

Virginia USA
I would like to join the group if it is still open.

NAME: Marshall

STORY: 38yr old Male. I ran cross country when I was younger but never was great at it, just good enough to make the team. I did my fair share of running while in the Army so I have some experience with medium distances (10-13 miles) but the 3 mile distance was the norm. I didn't run too much after leaving the military and put on a few pounds due to inactivity. Last year I found BT and started training, but had an injury from running and it sidelined me for 2 months before I ran again. My swim is the weakest area, and I know that I will eventually have to break down and pay for a coach in order to maintain my breathing for any amount of time. My goal is to complete a sprint with a decent showing and move up from there either in faster times or longer distances.

FAMILY STATUS: Married guy with three teenagers.

CURRENT TRAINING: I started in 2013 and was sidelined with the injury. I typically put in more bike time than anything else, but I know that swimming is going to have to take a priority in 2014. I have access to the local Y, which has a pool and early morning open lap swims.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I didn't race in 2013. I joined a mentor group and gained a lot of knowledge from the interaction that happens with the posts.

2014 RACES: My goal is to complete in a local sprint or two (May and June). I want to improve my distance and feel as though I can make a good showing (I don't have to be first, just don't want to be last).

WEIGHTLOSS: I tip the scales at about 200lbs, so I would like to lose 20-25 to be fitter and help take some weight off of my knees.

2013-12-23 11:26 AM
in reply to: mheard

NAME: Slowpokee // Joy, 26

STORY: I was always very active growing up until after high school..The terrible eating and drinking in college definitely hindered any type of activity, when I realized the weight gain I decided to do pick up running. I met my now fiancé during this time as well, and him being huge in fitness and in the Army he helped me find my way back. However, I find plenty of excuses the minute I start building mileage – knee pain, hip pain, its raining etc...2013 was not the best year for me, I want what this thread’s main subject is a New Year and a new me…

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged and ready to be wed next Thanksgiving =)

CURRENT TRAINING: At the moment im doing a lot of weightlifting more so cardio and endurance training. But once the winter is over I want to start picking up the miles, I also want to learn how to balance both if possible.

2013 RACES: Did a couple 5k’s and two Sprint tri’s

2014 RACES: First – I want to learn how to build distance properly as well as nutrition and hydration. 2014 race goals – half marathon, Olympic distance and maybe end of the year 70.3

WEIGHTLOSS: Lost about 20 pounds within the last two years, im happy with my weight I do not need to go any lower.. Im pretty small 5’3 110-115 ..
2013-12-23 4:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Originally posted by mgk

So here is my first question......I have road bike and some decent running shoes, but have never swum competitively. What do I need to start? I'm thinking a pair of goggles and a suit other than my board shorts? Any suggestions for either? Anything else? And starting out I'm thinking about long slow distance right? Thanks much. Matt

Are you asking for race day or training? For training anything will do. I just wear any swimsuit I have laying around. I don't want to wear my race kit in the pool and let the chlorine eat it up. Race day I wear a pair of lightly padded Tri shorts and Tri top. I currently use Speedo Vanquisher 2's. They work OK but a little small for my liking.

I'm the last person to give swim advice but www.swimsmooth.com was a great help . Learning how to properly breath was a breakthrough for me.
2013-12-23 4:20 PM

Originally posted by pvfd304

Originally posted by mgk

Are you asking for race day or training? For training anything will do. I just wear any swimsuit I have laying around. I don't want to wear my race kit in the pool and let the chlorine eat it up. Race day I wear a pair of lightly padded Tri shorts and Tri top. I currently use Speedo Vanquisher 2's. They work OK but a little small for my liking.

I'm the last person to give swim advice but www.swimsmooth.com was a great help . Learning how to properly breath was a breakthrough for me.

Also for race day and gear, make sure you dont wear bike shorts for the swim. They have to be Tri related. pvfd304 is right tho, when your training anything will do!
2013-12-23 4:36 PM

User image

Originally posted by mgk

The first thing is to understand where you are right now with your front crawl stroke. Swimming long slow distances isn't the best thing to do if you don't have an efficient stroke,. Working on and improving technique through swimming drills is a great thing to do. I always start with body position and breathing, it underpins everything else. Let me know how your stroke is and I will work out some drills for you and swim smooth is a good place to look. Goggles are a must for training and race day, board shorts not great for either as they will cause drag and slow you down, plus lower your legs. A pair of tight swimming shorts or normal trunks will work for training, a tri suit for race is great as you can swim, bike and run in it, saves time.

2013-12-23 4:50 PM
in reply to: mheard

User image

Hi Marshall

Good to have you in the team! Typically swimming is the discipline that is avoided the most (I speak from experience!), unless you are from a swim background, as it is the most technical and I guess hardest to master. Having a coach will definitely help and starting with breathing is spot on, get that sorted and you can build up your stroke. If I am working with a new person on breathing I start by getting them to stand in the water, bend forward so the face is in the pool and practice breathing that way. We move onto using a board (and possibly flippers for buoyancy) and gently glide up the pool, using a kick only (arms out stretch on the board) and practice breathing that way. A common mistake is to try and inhale and exhale with the head out the water, the exhale should always be in the water. I'll post some drills in the next few days. Neil
2013-12-23 4:57 PM
in reply to: slowpokee

User image

Hi Joy

Thanks for joining the group, good to meet you.

You have good goals for this year, especially getting married, congratulations! Balancing strength and cardio is important, the key is to ensure your weight training supports your triathlon ambition (yeh I know obvious!) I tend to work more on strength during the off season and reduce it during the season itself, but I still keep doing a bit. Happy to help on this.

Looking forward to working with you in 2014, 70.3 is on my list too, I had to pull out of the UK70.3 this year due to my injuries..ggrrrrrr! Neil
2013-12-23 5:52 PM

So my front crawl isn't terrible......I think. My brother swam competitively and I learned from the same teachers, just went more the direction of running when it came time to compete in high school. I breath to the right, feel fairly straight in the water, though no one has ever taped me to allow me to confirm that. I struggle a bit with keeping my elbow up through the pull. I've had surgery on my right surgery, a fairly extensive reconstruction of damage done after multiple sports related dislocations. The shoulder doesn't bother me much but it is tight and my internal/external rotation is purposefully somewhat limited. Still, it doesn't seem to bother me much in the water, though I'm sure it makes me a little less efficient. If I have a weakness that I can identify (I'm sure a coach would find plenty more) its my kick which gets lazy when I'm tired.......I can feel my butt sink as my legs quit.

I'm headed to the pool for the first time tonight. Goal is to do 500 and focus on form. Some drills would be welcome. From now until the end of Feb I plan to hit the pool 2-3 times a week when work allows.

I'm going to look for a coach for a session or two to check my form. We have a state champ high school swim team so I'm sure I can find someone who knows more about swimming than I do to help me

Matt
2013-12-23 9:12 PM

Hi everyone, if this group is still open I would love to join. I'm probably the youngest one here but I think this is as good a time as any to start training for my first triathlon!

NAME: virginia_BT/ Virginia

STORY: I'm 18 years old and currently enrolled in my first year at college. I have always been "bigger" and had some health problems contributing to my weight, and this (2013) year was the year I decided to make a change. I have radically changed my diet for the better (I'm Gluten- and Dairy-Free, and I try to eat an all-natural diet of meats/veggies/fruits only) and I've lost over 40 pounds since early August. One of my closest friends ran a marathon this year and it has inspired me to take on a triathlon. I've been going to the gym frequently, but I need a long-term goal like this to keep me motivated. I swam competitively from early childhood until middle school, and I was on the cross country team for 3 years. BIking is going to be my weakness since I have never really been a biker, but I'm ready for a challenge. I have never run any triathlons/marathons before, but after thinking on it for a week+ I've decided to take on a triathlon as my New Year's Resolution.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily single (a good choice at my age, I think)

CURRENT TRAINING: For the past few weeks, I've been going to the gym almost daily for the first time in a while. I started small but I have been working out longer and harder each time, trying to get in shape without overworking myself. I practice yoga regularly and plan to continue that through my training. Surprisingly I've been able to work on the elliptical, stationary bike, and treadmill in one workout without pushing myself too hard, which I take as a pretty good sign that I'm fit enough to start training for the triathlon.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None

2014 RACES: I haven't chosen a triathlon yet, but I want to find one in late spring or summer. Before the triathlon I want to run some 5K's and 10K's as well -- I really need guidance on finding events near me.

WEIGHTLOSS: Like I mentioned in my story, I have been working on losing weight for the past 6 months. I am down from 217 (and probably higher at some points) to 177 pounds. :D I'm 5'5'', aiming for a healthy weight somewhere between 135-150. Losing weight and getting in shape are my main motivators for competing in a triathlon, and I have never been prouder of myself. I have always wanted to lose weight and truly love my self/body, and I am starting to feel comfortable in my own skin for the first time in my life.

Looking forward to the next few months, no matter how difficult they may be!

- Virginia
2013-12-24 1:06 PM

First serious pool session this morning was a bit daunting. Managed to survive 400m of crawl with some kick work at the end. Looked at Swim Smooth last night and tried bilateral breathing......more like controlled drowning. That's going to take some work. Could feel form fall apart as I tired and struggled to pace. I seemt to rush the stroke, maybe because that wall seems darn far away in the middle of the pool. Need to get more comfortable in the water. Bottom line........need a coach.

2013-12-25 3:28 AM

User image

Name: WinnerNguyener/Jennyfer

STORY: I have always wanted to do a tri. I work some pretty relentless hours at a job I love and after a not so healthy relationship that ended a few months ago, I have gotten to a point where I am the most physically fit I have been...maybe ever. After the break up, I felt like I don't ever want to be in a place where I feel like I am not capable of doing anything I could put my mind to. And of course, I like the challenge. I want to know that I can do anything so where better to start than to physically challenge myself with something I once thought was impossible? Everyone needs a hobby!

FAMILY: Happily single

EXPERIENCE: None

CURRENT TRAINING: I run about 20 miles a week. Upper and Lower weight training at 2x a week, hot yoga most days of the week.

I am looking for a bike. As of today, I registered with the local YMCA for swimming classes. I know it may be a long time until I actually get to do a full tri but I want to get to a point where I can do a sprint by the end of the year.

2013 season: Nothing. everyone has to start somewhere. A very stressful relationship, my 60-70 hour work weeks, and starting grad school equals...my excuses. Which I'm not going to do anymore. I'm in a much better place surrounded by much better people so much like running, I'm moving forward.

2014 season: I am registered for a 10K and a 1/2 marathon so far for March and April. I want to do a sprint by the end of the year, hoping for August? We'll see, depending on how I progress. Swimming is my biggest problem but I'm enthusiastic about it.

2014 GOALS: Becoming a decent swimmer, biking more and biking to work, finishing a sprint tri

WEIGHT LOSS: So far, as of October, I've lost 20 lbs. I'm really looking forward to losing 20 more, give or take.

I'm 5'7" and currently weigh in at 149. If it happens, great. If not, that's great too.
2013-12-25 5:36 AM
in reply to: WinnerNguyener

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas, Sitting here waiting for the house to come alive with the holiday spirit. Enjoying the peace and quiet while it lasts.

Want to urge everyone to use the training log here. Log every workout so that you can see your results at the end of the year or season.
I hate seeing the white spaces on my training calender so it motivates me to do more workouts.

I also use Strava to help me track my activities. My Garmin was the best accessory I have ever bought for my bike.

Be sure to use the race report also so you can compare your results from year to year.

Hope everyone has a great 2014.
2013-12-25 3:58 PM

User image

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you are having a lovely day and as me eating and drinking far too much! Neil
2013-12-25 10:44 PM

Vancouver
Neil,

Read your profile and interested in joining the group.

Looking for some accountability. I have joined the past few years and usually by end of feb or march work catches up with me and my bad habits of working vs exercise take over. Hoping to build some strong relationships with the group and encourage others when I can. I have control over my schedule and work and just need to make it a priority. Not getting any younger. My kids have gotten a little older so that will help also.

Goals to complete 2 sprints this year. Build up my running. Not even sure if I can run right now as it really bothers my knee? I think some good old fashioned discipline, of exercise and eating right will get some weight off and help that out. A few years ago I was doing a lot of riding, did a few centuries and a lot of 60-70 mile rides. Started swimming in 12 took classes and it helped a lot

Although I have been a member for years still not sure on how the site works that well? Will work to define some goals this week, update the site and get in a few workouts between now and the first of the year.

Best Regards,
Marc Pitcher
2013-12-25 10:47 PM

Vancouver
which garmin device are you using?

MP

2013-12-26 7:30 AM

User image

Hello,

My name is Don. I am from Erie, PA. and I would like to join this group.

Last year I actually accomplished a lot. From January to April I lost 25 pounds. I quit smoking in April. I completed a few 5K runs, a 10K and a sprint distance triathlon. I have since gained back all of the weight I lost plus another fifteen pounds. I have been a bit of a slug since September. Come January I plan to get off my and get moving again.

This years goals are...

1. Lose 50 pounds
2. Increase average training runs from 5K to 10K distance
3. Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
4. Complete a half marathon in the fall
5. Create and stick to a training plan that includes all three triathlon events

I am looking for like minded people that are knowledgeable and supportive

Thank you,
Don
2013-12-26 9:19 PM
in reply to: Pitch

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Originally posted by Pitch

which garmin device are you using?

MP

Edge 500. still don't have one to track my runs yet.
2013-12-27 3:16 AM

User image

Hi folks

I hope you all had a great couple of days over Christmas, I think I have eaten and drunk enough to last me until the New Year! I was planning a quiet healthy day today but one of my pals who lives overseas in Oman has made a surprise visit back home and we are hooking up later for some beers, think it will be messy!

It’s great to see the group forming now, I am delighted that you have decided to let me help you. I will reply to the new posts over the course of the next day or so. Let’s make this a group where we support each other, I can see that’s starting already, excellent. I know a fair bit and have coached for a couple of years now but I am always looking to learn too, let’s bounce off each other, what I recommend may not work for everyone, let’s be open minded as a group of people. I start the road to recovery and fitness in January (I have my final eye operation on 2nd, quite minor) and know I will have some low points so your encouragement will be well appreciated.

There’s some great goals being stated, all definitely achievable, it will be ace this time next year when we reflect back on the achievement of them, and I am know that will happen.

Well it’s time for me to be dragged to the shops by my daughters! There are big discounts after Christmas and they seem to have more money than me right now and looking to spend. I think it will be more demanding than an Ironman…wish me luck.

Neil x
2013-12-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: virginia_BT

User image

Originally posted by virginia_BT

Hi everyone, if this group is still open I would love to join. I'm probably the youngest one here but I think this is as good a time as any to start training for my first triathlon!

NAME: virginia_BT/ Virginia

STORY: I'm 18 years old and currently enrolled in my first year at college. I have always been "bigger" and had some health problems contributing to my weight, and this (2013) year was the year I decided to make a change. I have radically changed my diet for the better (I'm Gluten- and Dairy-Free, and I try to eat an all-natural diet of meats/veggies/fruits only) and I've lost over 40 pounds since early August. One of my closest friends ran a marathon this year and it has inspired me to take on a triathlon. I've been going to the gym frequently, but I need a long-term goal like this to keep me motivated. I swam competitively from early childhood until middle school, and I was on the cross country team for 3 years. BIking is going to be my weakness since I have never really been a biker, but I'm ready for a challenge. I have never run any triathlons/marathons before, but after thinking on it for a week+ I've decided to take on a triathlon as my New Year's Resolution.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily single (a good choice at my age, I think)

CURRENT TRAINING: For the past few weeks, I've been going to the gym almost daily for the first time in a while. I started small but I have been working out longer and harder each time, trying to get in shape without overworking myself. I practice yoga regularly and plan to continue that through my training. Surprisingly I've been able to work on the elliptical, stationary bike, and treadmill in one workout without pushing myself too hard, which I take as a pretty good sign that I'm fit enough to start training for the triathlon.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None

2014 RACES: I haven't chosen a triathlon yet, but I want to find one in late spring or summer. Before the triathlon I want to run some 5K's and 10K's as well -- I really need guidance on finding events near me.

WEIGHTLOSS: Like I mentioned in my story, I have been working on losing weight for the past 6 months. I am down from 217 (and probably higher at some points) to 177 pounds. :D I'm 5'5'', aiming for a healthy weight somewhere between 135-150. Losing weight and getting in shape are my main motivators for competing in a triathlon, and I have never been prouder of myself. I have always wanted to lose weight and truly love my self/body, and I am starting to feel comfortable in my own skin for the first time in my life.

Looking forward to the next few months, no matter how difficult they may be!

- Virginia

Hi Virginia

Thank you for joining our group and I hope you had a great Christmas. I must say you are already doing so well, your weight loss is excellent and your goals for the year are great, training towards the 5ks and 10ks as well as the triathlon will support your weight loss ambition too. One of the biggest advantages is you have a competitive swimming background, that tends to be people's biggest challenge. The fact that you have been doing some stationary bike and treadmill work shows you do have a level of fitness and you are already training for a triathlon, well done. Great to see you are doing yoga too, really important to keep flexible, stretching is vital. The route of my injury at the moment is bad posture and lack of stretching, given me very tight back muscles that have also impacted my hamstrings, keep doing it, pilates is great too, both added to my routine.

I am looking forward to working with you in 2014.

Neil
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.