BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-05-12 1:04 PM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Originally posted by ripariangal

Just checking in with the group The group curse of the ITB is still with me so I have been heavy on the bike but I am going to hit the road again this week and hope that my rest, rolling etc. will have made a difference.

I am nervous about my volume building, I know that my oly isn't until August but I worry that I am not putting in enough time & speed work. I am averaging ~150-160km/week on the bike but my pace is still not there. I need to hit ~26km/hr race pace and I seem to be stuck at 23km/hr.
Family obligations are high right now and getting worse, 3 kids in football (hubby coaching & travels for work) 5 days a week, field season is starting (I am a wildlife biologist) and we are starting a huge renovation (gutting a basement putting in two bedrooms, full bathroom, mini kitchen laundry room) doing all the work ourselves except for electrical. I think I need a live-in maid and 5 more hours in every day.... or maybe just more beer {sigh}

Melanie - Long time no see. Happy you checked in. A few thoughts.

1) I have finally beating my ITB issues thanks to heaps of PT and myofascial release. My legs may be covered in bruises - but my hip and knee doesn't hurt any more. It has taken about 6 sessions with the massage therapist but I am blown away by what he has been able to pull off.

2) I completely understand your nerves in regards to your volume and I am right there with you. But from what you mention in your post - you're life is crazy busy right now. I know it's frustrating to miss workouts but you;re really not missing them - just making someone/.thing else the priority for a while. plus, you should be proud of getting in the workouts you can - espcially when things are so crazy. Sure - you'd love to be doing more but you need to give yourself lots of credit for not quitting. As it says in the Bible - Fight the fight, Finish the race, Keep the faith.

2014-05-12 1:13 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Sorry everyone for being AWOL. I spent the most frustrating week with my 80 year old parents trying to clean up their house. They are hoarders - and I spent the week throwing out things they have had sitting around forever. Convincing my parents to throw it out was the real battle.

I made it back home in time for my first tri of the season. With Rev3 Quassy coming up at the end of the month - it wasn't a race as much as it was a training session. But it was so nice to get out there and hang out with other people who love tris (and beer!). And - here is the best part - it was pain free!

Here is the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=260...

2014-05-12 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Soccer season is over and I couldn't be happier. I had a group of kids that wouldn't listen for anything. Oh well it is what it is. Good thing is I'm back training with my team. Swim used to be hard but after getting my butt kicked by Sheila T and the SSS it's a walk in the park So much more fun swimming with a group. I noticed I pushed that much harder. Did some 50y sprints and smoked a sub 1:30/100 pace for each 50. I have no idea how people swim that fast and faster for any length of time. It was extremely hard to do and after each 50 I was gassed.
2014-05-13 6:36 AM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

Scott - I'm sorry life has been hard - but I am thrilled your're back! Glad to hear the stress fracture is on the mend as well! Good luck next weekend!

thx. I'm a little nervous as work brought in a PT team who doesn't believe in endurance training. We are lifting 4 days a week, and they don't want us doing anything outside work. I am getting stronger (a lot stronger) but we will see how the race goes. I told them if I didn't like the results I would be R/B/S in addition to the program.
2014-05-13 12:57 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

Soccer season is over and I couldn't be happier. I had a group of kids that wouldn't listen for anything. Oh well it is what it is. Good thing is I'm back training with my team. Swim used to be hard but after getting my butt kicked by Sheila T and the SSS it's a walk in the park So much more fun swimming with a group. I noticed I pushed that much harder. Did some 50y sprints and smoked a sub 1:30/100 pace for each 50. I have no idea how people swim that fast and faster for any length of time. It was extremely hard to do and after each 50 I was gassed.

You are a MACHINE! 1:30 pace for a 50. I have never broken 1:37. My God - when I think of how far you have come I am simply blown away. It may have been hard, you may have been gasses - but Dude - YOU still did it!
2014-05-13 1:00 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Scott - I'm sorry life has been hard - but I am thrilled your're back! Glad to hear the stress fracture is on the mend as well! Good luck next weekend!

thx. I'm a little nervous as work brought in a PT team who doesn't believe in endurance training. We are lifting 4 days a week, and they don't want us doing anything outside work. I am getting stronger (a lot stronger) but we will see how the race goes. I told them if I didn't like the results I would be R/B/S in addition to the program.

That strength is sure to pay dividends this weekend. I am looking forward to reading the race report! Good luck!

2014-05-13 1:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

You are a MACHINE! 1:30 pace for a 50. I have never broken 1:37. My God - when I think of how far you have come I am simply blown away. It may have been hard, you may have been gasses - but Dude - YOU still did it!

Granted it was with :20 rest between each 50. Believe me I needed every second of that. Seriously though how do people actually swim that fast for a long period? Is it a form thing or purely strength/fitness and lots of yardage? I really want to be able to hold a 1:30 for a sprint. That would give me 2+ minutes right there.

Edited by Burd 2014-05-13 1:04 PM
2014-05-13 1:12 PM

User image

Finished my longest ride of the year so far last Thursday. 210km in 7h08m with an average speed of 29.5km/h. I ran into some nasty hills and headwinds but came through feeling good. I recovered surprisingly fast too. 

Now that we're getting short-&-tee weather the rides have been much more enjoyable. Put in 30km this morning and I've got an 8km run and 3000m swim this afternoon.

I also bought my first wetsuit. I have a sprint tri in 2.5 weeks so the water is still going to be chilly. 

2014-05-13 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Granted it was with :20 rest between each 50. Believe me I needed every second of that. Seriously though how do people actually swim that fast for a long period? Is it a form thing or purely strength/fitness and lots of yardage? I really want to be able to hold a 1:30 for a sprint. That would give me 2+ minutes right there.

That's awesome, man. Great job. My PR is 1:47/100, and that near killed me.
2014-05-13 4:06 PM

User image

Expert
I went to the PT this morning and was relieved it was a PT appointment and not a deep tissue massage. My calfs are still bruised from last week (and when I say bruised - I mean the entire calf muscle is a light shade of purple!). I have a new set of exercises to try to get my body to function as a unit. As they put it - my legs/hips/torso don't work in concert - so these exercises are meant to help. We shall see. At this point - I'm just thrilled the pain is gone.

My coach has been getting on me about being more consistent about nutrition in preparation for the upcoming HIM. So I dropped $150 for Gu's bars' and sports drink. With the exception of the Cliff Mint protein bars (which are my favs), all of the food is the same kind as they will have on hand during IMMT. During the next three weeks, I need to dial in my nutrition so that the Rev3 is a trial run for the Ironman. Any suggestions when it comes to nutrition?

Gotta head out for a bike ride.
2014-05-13 4:12 PM

User image

Expert

Alex - stop downplaying your accomplishment. No need for "granted" and "believe me" and "Seriously, how do people..." You saw what I wrote. You saw Charles'; fastest time. Take a moment and revel in your accomplishment!

As for how other people do it - form? or strength? It's probably a bit of both? Keep at this swimming thing and you will continue to improve your time!

2014-05-13 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I went to the PT this morning and was relieved it was a PT appointment and not a deep tissue massage. My calfs are still bruised from last week (and when I say bruised - I mean the entire calf muscle is a light shade of purple!). I have a new set of exercises to try to get my body to function as a unit. As they put it - my legs/hips/torso don't work in concert - so these exercises are meant to help. We shall see. At this point - I'm just thrilled the pain is gone.

My coach has been getting on me about being more consistent about nutrition in preparation for the upcoming HIM. So I dropped $150 for Gu's bars' and sports drink. With the exception of the Cliff Mint protein bars (which are my favs), all of the food is the same kind as they will have on hand during IMMT. During the next three weeks, I need to dial in my nutrition so that the Rev3 is a trial run for the Ironman. Any suggestions when it comes to nutrition?

I'm getting the same stuff drilled in to my head. Just got another box from Amazon in the mail - my fourth container of Perform powder, and two boxes of Gu Gel from Amazon, 24-count variety pack, $27 ($1.12 per unit). I'll be sure to bring you all the mint ones. I hate mint.

Figure out what works for you. I've been following the directions on the Gu packets (10 minutes before, then one every 45 minutes) plus Perform mixed at full strength to thirst. That comes out to 1 bottle (2 scoops) per hours plus the Gu, so 240 calories per hour. It's been pleasant here, so I'm not sweating too much, but upping the fluid due to sweat with warmer weather should put me closer to 300 calories per hour. I've also used Cliff bars for nutrition, which I like more since they seem substantial. Besides, picking pieces of cliff bar out of my teeth for a few minutes afterward belays boredom.
2014-05-13 8:26 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I'm getting the same stuff drilled in to my head. Just got another box from Amazon in the mail - my fourth container of Perform powder, and two boxes of Gu Gel from Amazon, 24-count variety pack, $27 ($1.12 per unit). I'll be sure to bring you all the mint ones. I hate mint.

Figure out what works for you. I've been following the directions on the Gu packets (10 minutes before, then one every 45 minutes) plus Perform mixed at full strength to thirst. That comes out to 1 bottle (2 scoops) per hours plus the Gu, so 240 calories per hour. It's been pleasant here, so I'm not sweating too much, but upping the fluid due to sweat with warmer weather should put me closer to 300 calories per hour. I've also used Cliff bars for nutrition, which I like more since they seem substantial. Besides, picking pieces of cliff bar out of my teeth for a few minutes afterward belays boredom.

I don't think I'll ever get over the "cost" to train. As if it's not hard enough on our bodies and families it has to hit our wallets as well I must admit I skimp on the training nutrition and should probably consume more than I do but it's so expensive.

Does eating 3 bananas before a 3 hour ride count as proper nutrition?
2014-05-13 8:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Ran for 20 minutes today and near the end things started tightening up. Just a hair of pain from the good ole ITB. It was only about a 3 on the pain scale. It feel real tight right now so I'll be rolling and stretching again. I have to fess up that I haven't been stretching and rolling like I should. My son got me a gift certificate for a massage over the holidays and I think it's time to use it. What is this crazy painful but super helpful massage everyone is talking about? Not sure if they do it but I would like to be able to ask for it if possible. I think I need to cut something in my budget out so I can get 1 massage a week until it's all loose again.
2014-05-13 8:36 PM

User image

Originally posted by Burd  I don't think I'll ever get over the "cost" to train. As if it's not hard enough on our bodies and families it has to hit our wallets as well I must admit I skimp on the training nutrition and should probably consume more than I do but it's so expensive. Does eating 3 bananas before a 3 hour ride count as proper nutrition?

The only thing I use is gels while riding or running and protein powder. The rest of my nutrition is all 'regular' food. I use yogurt mixed with hemp hearts and a mix of cashews, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds to fuel before a ride/run/workout. Banana and protein I get into me right after a long workout. I don't know how I feel about 'bars'.  It seems to me they're just a lot of calories with no nutrients. I don't see the point when there are other better nutrient dense high calorie foods that are cheaper and more natural (like nuts and seeds). If I'm on a big monster ride, I usually pack some nuts/seeds and a couple of Mars bars to go with my gels. A cold can of pepsi is also a nice treat on a long ride. The fructose goes straight to the blood like nitro in an engine. 

2014-05-13 8:49 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by Burd  I don't think I'll ever get over the "cost" to train. As if it's not hard enough on our bodies and families it has to hit our wallets as well I must admit I skimp on the training nutrition and should probably consume more than I do but it's so expensive. Does eating 3 bananas before a 3 hour ride count as proper nutrition?

The only thing I use is gels while riding or running and protein powder. The rest of my nutrition is all 'regular' food. I use yogurt mixed with hemp hearts and a mix of cashews, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds to fuel before a ride/run/workout. Banana and protein I get into me right after a long workout. I don't know how I feel about 'bars'.  It seems to me they're just a lot of calories with no nutrients. I don't see the point when there are other better nutrient dense high calorie foods that are cheaper and more natural (like nuts and seeds). If I'm on a big monster ride, I usually pack some nuts/seeds and a couple of Mars bars to go with my gels. A cold can of pepsi is also a nice treat on a long ride. The fructose goes straight to the blood like nitro in an engine. 

Huh... I love reading stuff like this because it gets me to think about things in totally different ways. I love your alternative forms of energy - they sound tastier than Gus (which tend to upset my stomach). I want to take all the guess work out of race day so I will try to program myself prior to a race (to become robotic as my coach keeps preaching to me) but I want to experiment with different types of food.

A cold can of Pepsi huh? I bet that does taste good. Isn't there a fall off (energy dip) after the body has consumed the simple sugars? And how do you keep it cold - do you freeze it before heading out?

I think the key is to find a way to use my watch to remind me to eat and drink. I always forget and don't remember until I'm either dying of thirst or starving to death. How do you guys remember?

Charles - you don't like the mint cliff bars? Those are probably my second favorite "exercise" food. My favorite is one I tried out in michigan a couple years ago. It was a peanut butter and jelly protein bar. It was awesome. Too bad I don't remember the name or I'd buy a couple of boxes.

2014-05-13 8:54 PM

User image

Expert

Ran for 20 minutes today and near the end things started tightening up. Just a hair of pain from the good ole ITB. It was only about a 3 on the pain scale. It feel real tight right now so I'll be rolling and stretching again. I have to fess up that I haven't been stretching and rolling like I should. My son got me a gift certificate for a massage over the holidays and I think it's time to use it. What is this crazy painful but super helpful massage everyone is talking about? Not sure if they do it but I would like to be able to ask for it if possible. I think I need to cut something in my budget out so I can get 1 massage a week until it's all loose again.

Alex - Deep Tissue and myofacial release have made all the difference. I was suffering but my knee stopped hurting after my second deep tissue massage. While my legs are black and blue (seriously - both of my calves are completely bruised), they don't hurt any more. The guy who is doing mine is in school to become a massage therapist and he needed to log 100 hours - and the best thing is that he can't charge me since he is training. I wonder if there is a massage school in your area that might be able to hook you up with one of their students. Good luck and may the roller be with you!
2014-05-13 8:55 PM

User image

Originally posted by adempsey10

Huh... I love reading stuff like this because it gets me to think about things in totally different ways. I love your alternative forms of energy - they sound tastier than Gus (which tend to upset my stomach). I want to take all the guess work out of race day so I will try to program myself prior to a race (to become robotic as my coach keeps preaching to me) but I want to experiment with different types of food. A cold can of Pepsi huh? I bet that does taste good. Isn't there a fall off (energy dip) after the body has consumed the simple sugars? And how do you keep it cold - do you freeze it before heading out? I think the key is to find a way to use my watch to remind me to eat and drink. I always forget and don't remember until I'm either dying of thirst or starving to death. How do you guys remember? Charles - you don't like the mint cliff bars? Those are probably my second favorite "exercise" food. My favorite is one I tried out in michigan a couple years ago. It was a peanut butter and jelly protein bar. It was awesome. Too bad I don't remember the name or I'd buy a couple of boxes.

haha! I don't carry the pepsi with me. I'll usually stop at a convenient store or gas station and pick one up. I don't find that I notice a dip in energy but the  superhuman feeling does wear off. There's also some research that shows that caffeine increases the rate at which the body can process fat stores so theoretically it can give you a more long term boost after the sugars are gone. Maybe that's why TDF fellows suck back coffee.. or maybe it's just a european thing... who knows... 

2014-05-14 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Charles - you don't like the mint cliff bars? Those are probably my second favorite "exercise" food. My favorite is one I tried out in michigan a couple years ago. It was a peanut butter and jelly protein bar. It was awesome. Too bad I don't remember the name or I'd buy a couple of boxes.

Mint and vinegar are the only two things that I can't stand.

I plan on running a watch on my right hand in addition to my 910xt and Edge 800 on the bike. I like to eat, so watching that timer is helpful. You can set alarms on the various devices. Especially for long course work, the repetition is, time and again, stay ahead of the fuel curve.

Eating off the course, for me, is just simpler. IMWI is a two loop lollipop and a two loop run, so there are tons of aid stations. My entire nutrition plan will fit into my jersey pockets and course pickups - Two bottles on a rear seat holder, and drink one between each aid station, with the other a spare in case something goes wrong. Getting my system used to those products is half the battle, especially since my last two major races had major nutritional problems.

One of my friends, a 5 time Ironman, states it succinctly, as follows: Survive the swim; the first half of the bike fuels the second half of the bike; the second half of the bike fuels the first half of the run, and the first half of the run keeps the monkey off your back, and the last half of the run is fighting in the monkey.

My wife makes jokes, because for nutrition, I basically have two modes; hummingbird, sucking down nothing but sugar, and carnivore, nothing but protein.
2014-05-14 9:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Evening y'all. I logged on to write a quick post only to find that we have been archived. Here is the link to the New and Improved BDAAS forum:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I hope you will continue to train/drink with me. Be sure to update your bio so all the newbies can get to know you.

It's been awesome getting to know you. See you there. Prost!

Edited by Qua17 2014-05-14 9:42 PM
2014-05-14 9:44 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Mint and vinegar are the only two things that I can't stand.

I plan on running a watch on my right hand in addition to my 910xt and Edge 800 on the bike. I like to eat, so watching that timer is helpful. You can set alarms on the various devices. Especially for long course work, the repetition is, time and again, stay ahead of the fuel curve.

Eating off the course, for me, is just simpler. IMWI is a two loop lollipop and a two loop run, so there are tons of aid stations. My entire nutrition plan will fit into my jersey pockets and course pickups - Two bottles on a rear seat holder, and drink one between each aid station, with the other a spare in case something goes wrong. Getting my system used to those products is half the battle, especially since my last two major races had major nutritional problems.

One of my friends, a 5 time Ironman, states it succinctly, as follows: Survive the swim; the first half of the bike fuels the second half of the bike; the second half of the bike fuels the first half of the run, and the first half of the run keeps the monkey off your back, and the last half of the run is fighting in the monkey.

My wife makes jokes, because for nutrition, I basically have two modes; hummingbird, sucking down nothing but sugar, and carnivore, nothing but protein.

Thanks for all the great suggestions Charles!

2014-05-15 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I think I just leaked a bit of pee in excitement. My SRAM Force groupo just came and I'm off to the LBS to drop it all off. Pics to follow when it's done.
2014-05-15 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Too much information....

I am living vicariously through you. Can't wait to see the new wheels! What is the due date for your new baby?

Originally posted by Burd I think I just leaked a bit of pee in excitement. My SRAM Force groupo just came and I'm off to the LBS to drop it all off. Pics to follow when it's done.

2014-05-16 9:15 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Alex (and everyone else - in case you missed it) - when you post the bike porn - do it on the new BDAAS thread. Here is the link:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.