BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-04-30 8:28 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

Okay, I see all the talk of music....does everyone ride with their headphones on?

2014-04-30 8:31 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Not while riding, no. I used to while running but I don't even do that anymore. I find music can be a distraction. 

2014-04-30 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I'll call, and raise a baseball - 5 pounds in May for me. If I lose, I'll watch an entire NASCAR race AND a Cub's game. On the trainer.

Proposed rules: Official weigh-in is May 1 - pics or it didn't happen. Weight in weekly - I prefer Friday or Saturday morning, since my week is screwy due to sodium intake from long runs and rides. Again, pics or it didn't happen.

What say you?

It's on... Fine - if the idea of watching Nascar and a Cubs game motivates you - I'm all for it. But I will reraise you. The person who doesn't hit their weight loss goals for May buys dinner when you journey here for Quassy. Saturday morning works for me. Pics of the scale is fine as well.

Done and done. Let's see what tomorrow's scale has in store for me.
2014-04-30 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by thor67

Okay, I see all the talk of music....does everyone ride with their headphones on?

Riding - never. Too dangerous.
Running - sometimes. If I'm on the treadmill, Pandora or Netflix is running (usually a movie or some cartoons - Justice League, Batman Beyond, Transformers - I'm still a child, let's be real). Outside, for a short run, probably nothing. For a long run, depends - probably one out of three I'll play an audiobook or something.

Also, bluetooth headphones are one of the greatest inventions for running with audio. I bought a cheap pair off Amazon and they're fantastic. If your computer has bluetooth or you buy a bluetooth stick, it's great on the treadmill or trainer too - no more blasting the music over the sound of the fan/wheel/belt.
2014-04-30 9:16 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Veteran
Illinois
This morning, I realized exactly how nuts I am for doing this IM stuff. My wife and I have dinner plans tonight, plus a book signing for one of her favorite authors. My coach has a double scheduled today - 45 minutes on the trainer, 1:15 run.

So, alarm goes off at 4am for a brick workout. Pardon me while I go have my third cup of coffee this morning.
2014-04-30 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Riding - never. Too dangerous. Running - sometimes. If I'm on the treadmill, Pandora or Netflix is running (usually a movie or some cartoons - Justice League, Batman Beyond, Transformers - I'm still a child, let's be real). Outside, for a short run, probably nothing. For a long run, depends - probably one out of three I'll play an audiobook or something. Also, bluetooth headphones are one of the greatest inventions for running with audio. I bought a cheap pair off Amazon and they're fantastic. If your computer has bluetooth or you buy a bluetooth stick, it's great on the treadmill or trainer too - no more blasting the music over the sound of the fan/wheel/belt.
Can you use a Bluetooth stick on a TV??? I PVR a show and would love listen via headphones instead of blasting the TV. What kind of Bluetooth headphones did you buy?

2014-04-30 11:36 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Music:

Swim: I have a set of "SwimP3" waterproof headphones but I don't use them anymore. Focusing on short drills vs. just doing lots of laps helps me stay tuned into the swim.

Biking: Never, agree with the too dangerous aspect. Sometimes I do consider having just one ear for music but I have yet to do it.

Run: Almost always (Bluetooth headphones) however right before my half-marathon on Sunday my phone decided to die. I was worried about how I would do on a 13.1 mile run without music but I managed to do really well and set a HM PR! Guess my running "zone" doesn't really need music. I do plan on continuing to train with music for the most part but will try to do at least one run a week sans music.

2014-04-30 1:57 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
OUCH! Moving right along on the bike when a bee hits me in the face then proceeds to sting me on my stomach. All nice and swollen and hurts like...well I'll leave that word to your imagination. Hint: It's not unicorns or rainbows.
2014-04-30 2:03 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Music:

I have a set of JLab Go headphones with a 4g mp3 build into them (Best $50 I spent to date).

Swim - They are waterproof so I swim with them on my long endurance days.

Bike - If I am on a dedicated bike only path I will put them on, but only 1 ear. I leave my left ear open so I can hear if someone needs to pass. Although that never happens cause I'm fast like greased lightning! I wish, one day I'll be there

Run - Almost always.

Strength days at the gym - Always.
2014-04-30 8:50 PM

User image

Expert

If I had the time, rowing would be on the schedule!

Based on the fit of my pants, about 30lbs!!

Of course I am shooting for July 13(not going to happen) but either way that is where I want to be!

Let's do it!

I will weigh myself tomorrow and check in! How long do you want to go for? July 31? August 15? pick a day and we can make it work.

Do you think weekly weigh ins to keep us accountable??

Well the good news....got up and went for a swim with my wife. Did 3-200 freestyle/50 breast and then finished off with 350 meters straight of freestyle. Actually felt pretty good for the first time in awhile. Back still bothering me so no run/bike at lunch. Hoping back to be better tomorrow.

Planning on another swim tomorrow morning.

Had a good day on the calories.

Have a great day everyone.

What? No more rowing Glad to hear your back in the pool and burning calories like a machine. How much weight are you looking to lose? I need to drop 30 more pounds and am looking for motivation. Wanna have a bet where the loser has to drink a 40 of Coors Light or something stupid like that?

I think it would help if we had little mini bets base 2 week chunks (all right - it would help me. Two weeks is a lot more real and pressing than a month. If you agree - I've got a good challenge. If I don't lose 4 pounds in that two week period, I will watch a stanley cup game in its entirely. If you don't reach your goal, you'll have to watch an entire NASCAR race. They have that up there in the great white north don't they? Thoughts?
I'll call, and raise a baseball - 5 pounds in May for me. If I lose, I'll watch an entire NASCAR race AND a Cub's game. On the trainer. Proposed rules: Official weigh-in is May 1 - pics or it didn't happen. Weight in weekly - I prefer Friday or Saturday morning, since my week is screwy due to sodium intake from long runs and rides. Again, pics or it didn't happen. What say you?
It's on... Fine - if the idea of watching Nascar and a Cubs game motivates you - I'm all for it. But I will reraise you. The person who doesn't hit their weight loss goals for May buys dinner when you journey here for Quassy. Saturday morning works for me. Pics of the scale is fine as well.

How long is a nascar race? Nascar here consists of driving the secondary roads with all the rednecks texting while driving...Kinda like Texas but colder...(Sorry Bobby!)

I am in either way, but I will re re raise everyone. You have to drink a warm coors for every period of hockey David. Charles, a warm 40 of Coors after the cycle trainer...(I think I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking of that...)

I am okay with Friday or Saturday weigh ins after two weeks as I know we all have busy lives to deal with.

All right - it's on. Here are the particulars:
1) First official weigh in is Thursday 1. We'll take pics.
2) We weigh in on May 17 and 31
3) Goals: DQ 4 pounds by 5/17 and 4 more by 5/31
4) If we don't meet our goals: DQ - Stanley cup game and a warm coors after each period. Charles - Warm 4 of Coors on the trainer while watching both a cubs and a nascar race, Thor - What's your penalty?

Anything else?
2014-04-30 8:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Music:

Swim - I wish! I used to work out at a pool with a loud stereo - that was nice.

Bike - I always listen to music on the bike, I don't use headphones. I slip my iphone in the front pocket of my bike shirt and use the built in speaker to play the music just loud enough that I can hear it. if I turn my head to listen behind me - I can hear cars and the music doesn't get in the way.

Run - Always. I usually blast a mix but sometimes I enjoy mixing it up with Spotify - but again - never with headphones.

Edited by Qua17 2014-04-30 9:11 PM

2014-04-30 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Today was a big day. After sleeping off the beer tasting, which ended at almost 2, I had a myo facial release massage that lasted an hour and a half. It hurt like hell and left bruses on my cavs, lats, and rotator cuffs.

Then I came home, grabbed lunch, and rode for nearly 2 hours in the rain. I also managed to ride the route of the season opener tri in 2 weeks. To be honest, the ride sucked. It was cold (40 F) windy 10-15 mph, and it was pouring. All the water kicked up the grime from the sand that had been put down when it snowed last and I had to finish my ride in the small ring.

But here is the thing - we all have days like the one I had today. It's what makes us tough. It's funny - when I tell people I'm doing an IM to raise money for my son's hospital, people always ask about the race distance. But what they don't realize is the pain, suffering, and hardwork/determination that go into making it happen. Take Charles for example, he gets up at 4 am to make it happen. I don't know any other sport that asks as much from it's participants. And - it Doesn't matter if its for an iron distance or sprint - we all suffer from time to time to do what we love. And that's what we need to remember when the training and PT suck - the suffering makes us stronger people and it will help us not only on race day but when life gets hard.

Prost!
2014-05-01 4:06 AM

User image

Expert
May 1 Weigh In - 197. Pic on Facebook

You guys are gonna love NASCAR.
2014-05-01 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Of course I am shooting for July 13(not going to happen) but either way that is where I want to be!

Let's do it!

I will weigh myself tomorrow and check in! How long do you want to go for? July 31? August 15? pick a day and we can make it work.

Well the good news....got up and went for a swim with my wife. Did 3-200 freestyle/50 breast and then finished off with 350 meters straight of freestyle. Actually felt pretty good for the first time in awhile. Back still bothering me so no run/bike at lunch. Hoping back to be better tomorrow.

What? No more rowing Glad to hear your back in the pool and burning calories like a machine. How much weight are you looking to lose? I need to drop 30 more pounds and am looking for motivation. Wanna have a bet where the loser has to drink a 40 of Coors Light or something stupid like that?

I think it would help if we had little mini bets base 2 week chunks (all right - it would help me. Two weeks is a lot more real and pressing than a month. If you agree - I've got a good challenge. If I don't lose 4 pounds in that two week period, I will watch a stanley cup game in its entirely. If you don't reach your goal, you'll have to watch an entire NASCAR race. They have that up there in the great white north don't they? Thoughts?
I'll call, and raise a baseball - 5 pounds in May for me. If I lose, I'll watch an entire NASCAR race AND a Cub's game. On the trainer. Proposed rules: Official weigh-in is May 1 - pics or it didn't happen. Weight in weekly - I prefer Friday or Saturday morning, since my week is screwy due to sodium intake from long runs and rides. Again, pics or it didn't happen. What say you?

How long is a nascar race? Nascar here consists of driving the secondary roads with all the rednecks texting while driving...Kinda like Texas but colder...(Sorry Bobby!)

I am in either way, but I will re re raise everyone. You have to drink a warm coors for every period of hockey David. Charles, a warm 40 of Coors after the cycle trainer...(I think I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking of that...)

I am okay with Friday or Saturday weigh ins after two weeks as I know we all have busy lives to deal with.

All right - it's on. Here are the particulars: 1) First official weigh in is Thursday 1. We'll take pics. 2) We weigh in on May 17 and 31 3) Goals: DQ 4 pounds by 5/17 and 4 more by 5/31 4) If we don't meet our goals: DQ - Stanley cup game and a warm coors after each period. Charles - Warm 4 of Coors on the trainer while watching both a cubs and a nascar race, Thor - What's your penalty? Anything else?
My penalty is a NASCAR race...how long is it again? And a warm light beer....My goals are pretty much the same...8lbs by the end of the month. I may need to weigh in a day or two earlier on first one as my son has a lacrosse game that weekend. I am afraid what my weight will be tonite...it will be ugly to say the least...

2014-05-01 9:59 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

April totals:

• Swim: 2h 10m 05s - 6050 M
  • Bike: 2h 42m 21s - 33.78 Mi
  • Run: 11h 01m 57s - 67.8 Mi

Looks like another run heavy month, I need to start balancing in more time on the bike considering I ran twice as far as I rode!

2014-05-01 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Had a great workout this morning! Did a swim/bike brick a the gym. Started out with a 800 meter swim in 15 minutes...best swim of the year so far. Pretty happy with it considering the lack of swimming I have been doing. Put my shoes on and raced up to my wife's spin class for a 49 minute spin class! The negative is my back is still bothering me. Hoping it is gone soon. Getting old sucks.

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by thor67 2014-05-01 10:05 AM

2014-05-01 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Today was a big day. After sleeping off the beer tasting, which ended at almost 2, I had a myo facial release massage that lasted an hour and a half. It hurt like hell and left bruses on my cavs, lats, and rotator cuffs.

Then I came home, grabbed lunch, and rode for nearly 2 hours in the rain. I also managed to ride the route of the season opener tri in 2 weeks. To be honest, the ride sucked. It was cold (40 F) windy 10-15 mph, and it was pouring. All the water kicked up the grime from the sand that had been put down when it snowed last and I had to finish my ride in the small ring.

But here is the thing - we all have days like the one I had today. It's what makes us tough. It's funny - when I tell people I'm doing an IM to raise money for my son's hospital, people always ask about the race distance. But what they don't realize is the pain, suffering, and hardwork/determination that go into making it happen. Take Charles for example, he gets up at 4 am to make it happen. I don't know any other sport that asks as much from it's participants. And - it Doesn't matter if its for an iron distance or sprint - we all suffer from time to time to do what we love. And that's what we need to remember when the training and PT suck - the suffering makes us stronger people and it will help us not only on race day but when life gets hard.

Prost!

Well put and great work on banging out that ride despite the conditions.
2014-05-01 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Rule #9.
2014-05-01 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

May 1 Weigh In - 197. Pic on Facebook

You guys are gonna love NASCAR.

5-1-2014: 176.6.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2014-05-01 11:38 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by MOlsen

April totals:

Looks like another run heavy month, I need to start balancing in more time on the bike considering I ran twice as far as I rode!

April 2014: 48:45.
Swim: 10:30
Bike: 16:53
Run: 14:43
Strength: 4:25
2014-05-01 12:03 PM

User image

Expert

Let's do it!

All right - it's on. Here are the particulars: 1) First official weigh in is Thursday 1. We'll take pics. 2) We weigh in on May 17 and 31 3) Goals: DQ 4 pounds by 5/17 and 4 more by 5/31 4) If we don't meet our goals: DQ - Stanley cup game and a warm coors after each period. Charles - Warm 4 of Coors on the trainer while watching both a cubs and a nascar race, Thor - What's your penalty? Anything else?
My penalty is a NASCAR race...how long is it again? And a warm light beer....My goals are pretty much the same...8lbs by the end of the month. I may need to weigh in a day or two earlier on first one as my son has a lacrosse game that weekend. I am afraid what my weight will be tonite...it will be ugly to say the least...

It doesn't matter how ugly the number tonight. What matters is how pretty that number will be on the first day of June! Better work hard - those NASCAR races can be long

2014-05-01 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

April totals:

April 2014: 48:45. Swim: 10:30 Bike: 16:53 Run: 14:43 Strength: 4:25

Not pretty but looking to at least triple bike and swim for May and add about 40% to run with just being more consistent.

My monthly totals

swim

1h 31m - 4757.22 Yd
bike

2h 36m - 49.70 Mi
run

4h 47m 55s - 30.32 Mi
2014-05-01 12:14 PM

User image

Expert

April totals:

Mark - Dude - You really kick butt in the run! While you may need more balance going forward, be proud of what you accomplished!

Dam Charles - You crushed me. Nice work. Here are my numbers below.
Swim 2:13
Bike: 14:32
Run 5:33
Strength 4:03
Walking 1:30

2014-05-01 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
How do I get in on the weight challenge? I'd like to drop about 2 a week as well. Let me know what my penalty would be Pic to come on Friday.

Edited by Burd 2014-05-01 12:16 PM
2014-05-01 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

April totals:

Mark - Dude - You really kick butt in the run! While you may need more balance going forward, be proud of what you accomplished!

Dam Charles - You crushed me. Nice work. Here are my numbers below.
Swim 2:13
Bike: 14:32
Run 5:33
Strength 4:03
Walking 1:30

April:
Swim - 8:23:03 - 19250y
Bike - 11:07:17 - 194.41m
Run - 3:17:35 - 18.2m
Strength - 7:40:00

Edited by Burd 2014-05-01 12:17 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.