BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-05-05 4:55 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

Had a great weekend at Wildflower. Weather was hot and dry on Friday but cooled down a little on Saturday (only in the 80's). Fortunately I finished the sprint course before it got too warm and spent the afternoon stretched out on the lawn drinking Sierra Nevada Summerfest (hoppy pilsner) and Torpedo IPA while listening to live music. They do a good job of making a fun festival centered around the triathlons. The lake was barely a puddle but they still managed to hold a triathlon, see my race report for a comparison picture of the lake from last year to this year. The new mountain bike course was a bit more challenging but a heck of a lot of fun and I realized I need to work on my hill climbing in the dirt! Hopefully we get enough rain this coming winter to bring the levels back up so I can try the Olympic course next year.

2014-05-05 7:11 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Here is another inspirational video that  love.(blame Alex...seen his rise and shine on Facebook... )

http://greyskalemultimedia.com/video/how-bad-do-you-want-it/

2014-05-06 6:17 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

sorry to everyone I have been awol due to personal difficulties. I am back.

stress fracture is healed up getting back to running. taking it slow but back up to 3 miles. First race in SC on the 17th.
2014-05-06 8:06 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Good to have you back! What race are you doing?

Originally posted by b2b14 sorry to everyone I have been awol due to personal difficulties. I am back. stress fracture is healed up getting back to running. taking it slow but back up to 3 miles. First race in SC on the 17th.

2014-05-06 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

So went to a spin class today as outdoor biking weather has pretty much sucked here. It was snowing again on my way to work, not bad or staying but...

There were three ladies there who talked throughout the class, hills, sprints, tempo, blah, blah, blah. Very annoying when they are sitting right by me. Why bother coming to class. Just go sit the stationary bikes if you want to chat! Rant over!

2014-05-06 8:52 AM

User image

Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by b2b14 sorry to everyone I have been awol due to personal difficulties. I am back. stress fracture is healed up getting back to running. taking it slow but back up to 3 miles. First race in SC on the 17th.

Hilton Head. its May 17th. Will be tough b/c training fell off but i'll live.

2014-05-06 8:57 AM

User image

Finally done school! Handed in my last essay yesterday afternoon! Full on IM training for the next two months! 

I did my longest ride of the season on Sunday: 134km. I had a 30km/h headwind on the way out but shaved 40min off the return time as result of the tailwind. Good ride. On Thursday I'm scheduled for a 200km ride, it should be interesting. 

2014-05-06 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

What distance are you doing? Just enjoy the experience and let the chips fall where they may.

Originally posted by b2b14

2014-05-06 9:26 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Nice job!

Originally posted by adempsey10

Finally done school! Handed in my last essay yesterday afternoon! Full on IM training for the next two months! 

I did my longest ride of the season on Sunday: 134km. I had a 30km/h headwind on the way out but shaved 40min off the return time as result of the tailwind. Good ride. On Thursday I'm scheduled for a 200km ride, it should be interesting. 

2014-05-06 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

So went to a spin class today as outdoor biking weather has pretty much sucked here. It was snowing again on my way to work, not bad or staying but...

There were three ladies there who talked throughout the class, hills, sprints, tempo, blah, blah, blah. Very annoying when they are sitting right by me. Why bother coming to class. Just go sit the stationary bikes if you want to chat! Rant over!

I've always wanted to bomb in to one of those "Soul Cycle" classes with the display that shows power with some of my hardcore roadie buddies, to just annihilate the yuppy housewives. Like my buddy Jason, who's a sprinter with a 1,300 watt 1-min power and a four-digit 2-min power.
2014-05-06 10:09 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by adempsey10

Mid-week centuries - good times

2014-05-06 11:49 AM

User image

What distance are you doing? Just enjoy the experience and let the chips fall where they may.

Its a sprint with an ocean swim. I gave up on the IM this year and will do a HIM instead.
2014-05-07 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Have officially surpassed my April swim totals! Next up bike and  run!

It feels good to back in the swing of things!

Weigh in tomorrow! Feeling pretty confident I will hit my weight loss goals!

Cheers!

2014-05-08 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

Great first week of weight loss. Exceeded my goal!! Now I need to keep it up and I will be A-OK come July!

2014-05-08 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Great first week of weight loss. Exceeded my goal!! Now I need to keep it up and I will be A-OK come July!

Awesome job! I find out in the morning how my week was. I'm thinking it went well weight wise.
2014-05-08 3:47 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
With all of this weight loss taking place I would like to hear how you deal with being "HANGRY" (so hungry you're angry) I read about this somewhere and realized it sure is a real thing and being calorie restricted I am sure "hangry" all the damn time. Drinking a lot more water just doesn't cut it some days. I would love an adult beverage but have been skipping it to use the calories for food.

2014-05-08 4:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by Burd

With all of this weight loss taking place I would like to hear how you deal with being "HANGRY" (so hungry you're angry) I read about this somewhere and realized it sure is a real thing and being calorie restricted I am sure "hangry" all the damn time. Drinking a lot more water just doesn't cut it some days. I would love an adult beverage but have been skipping it to use the calories for food.

smaller meals and more of them helps with this. I use protein shakes a lot, or bars, apples, bananas something easy to carry around so when I start getting angry I can eat something, normally about 30 sec after my wife tells me to eat.
2014-05-09 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I don't have what most would call a healthy relationship with food - so I am either the best or worst person to ask. For me, it is about control. What kind of person loses a battle of will to a cookie? And that battle is tougher some days than others.

I look for eats to maximize volume and flavor. Lots of salads, lots of red, green peppers, cauliflower. Fat free cheeses are 3/4 as tasty at 1/3 the calories, even if they don't melt quite right. I eat a lot of feel yogurt and oatmeal. Sugar free jelly is a godsend.

And just reading labels. Dannon light and fit yogurt is 80 calories for 12g protein in 5.3oz; Chobani is 120 for the same protein and size.

Even now, leaving the reason station, I feel grumpy because I want some Garrets popcorn, or an ice cream cone from mcdonalds. But that pleasure is fleeting, and if I want to run IMWI, and be tough enough to own those hills, I better be tough enough to say no to some popcorn.
2014-05-11 11:10 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
For those that saw my post on ST classifieds looking to trade my new Illicito frame, I've decided to build it. I got scared when the bill came in but quickly got over it. I went and ordered a full SRAM Force groupo with the TT900 carbon shifters and TT900 carbon levers. Decided to get the upgraded carbon crankset as well. Can you tell I'm a sucker for the carbon. It's just so damn shiny and sexy. I was less than 30 seconds off the fastest split in my AG at my last race so maybe this will get me closer. If I'm going down I'm going big. Not some little dingy sinking but the whole Titanic! I joke a bit but the ride is gonna be sweet. The parts ship on Monday and I will be dropping it off at the end of the week to start the build. I hope in two weeks I should have it all done and built. Damn I'm excited!

I told you all months ago I will hit the 1 hour mark by the end of the year and I meant it. Now to shave 2 min off the stupid swim. I guess I need to swim more than 2 days a week.

2014-05-12 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Are you building it or having your LBS build it? Looking forward to some bike pics!

Originally posted by Burd For those that saw my post on ST classifieds looking to trade my new Illicito frame, I've decided to build it. I got scared when the bill came in but quickly got over it. I went and ordered a full SRAM Force groupo with the TT900 carbon shifters and TT900 carbon levers. Decided to get the upgraded carbon crankset as well. Can you tell I'm a sucker for the carbon. It's just so damn shiny and sexy. I was less than 30 seconds off the fastest split in my AG at my last race so maybe this will get me closer. If I'm going down I'm going big. Not some little dingy sinking but the whole Titanic! I joke a bit but the ride is gonna be sweet. The parts ship on Monday and I will be dropping it off at the end of the week to start the build. I hope in two weeks I should have it all done and built. Damn I'm excited! I told you all months ago I will hit the 1 hour mark by the end of the year and I meant it. Now to shave 2 min off the stupid swim. I guess I need to swim more than 2 days a week.

2014-05-12 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Are you building it or having your LBS build it? Looking forward to some bike pics!

Originally posted by Burd For those that saw my post on ST classifieds looking to trade my new Illicito frame, I've decided to build it. I got scared when the bill came in but quickly got over it. I went and ordered a full SRAM Force groupo with the TT900 carbon shifters and TT900 carbon levers. Decided to get the upgraded carbon crankset as well. Can you tell I'm a sucker for the carbon. It's just so damn shiny and sexy. I was less than 30 seconds off the fastest split in my AG at my last race so maybe this will get me closer. If I'm going down I'm going big. Not some little dingy sinking but the whole Titanic! I joke a bit but the ride is gonna be sweet. The parts ship on Monday and I will be dropping it off at the end of the week to start the build. I hope in two weeks I should have it all done and built. Damn I'm excited! I told you all months ago I will hit the 1 hour mark by the end of the year and I meant it. Now to shave 2 min off the stupid swim. I guess I need to swim more than 2 days a week.

After looking at it further I decided to have the shop build it. The steer tube is carbon and needs to be cut. The bottom bracket needs to be pressed in. I don't want the cables to look sloppy either. I figure it's worth it to know when I'm flying along that nothing will fall off

2014-05-12 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I agree, if you are not 100% sure of yourself and this is "the bike" to last you for awhile(at least I am sure you told your wife this) then get it done properly and quickly!

After looking at it further I decided to have the shop build it. The steer tube is carbon and needs to be cut. The bottom bracket needs to be pressed in. I don't want the cables to look sloppy either. I figure it's worth it to know when I'm flying along that nothing will fall off

2014-05-12 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I'm dropping out of the weight challenge. If I have to suffer a penalty so be it. I am still going to do 1 pound a week but my training has really increased with the s/b/r and 3 days of hard weight training. I can't risk not fueling properly. I also want to make sure I'm getting enough to repair my old body properly. My weight is close enough to where I want to be. I am really pushing for some large gains and dropping 2 pounds a week is counterproductive to my goals. I don't see myself as quitting the challenge, just a change in my goals.

I'll still be eating clean like I have been just getting more of it in me. 1000 calories a day deficit is crazy when I'm training so hard.
2014-05-12 10:58 AM

User image

New user
Just checking in with the group The group curse of the ITB is still with me so I have been heavy on the bike but I am going to hit the road again this week and hope that my rest, rolling etc. will have made a difference.

I am nervous about my volume building, I know that my oly isn't until August but I worry that I am not putting in enough time & speed work. I am averaging ~150-160km/week on the bike but my pace is still not there. I need to hit ~26km/hr race pace and I seem to be stuck at 23km/hr.
Family obligations are high right now and getting worse, 3 kids in football (hubby coaching & travels for work) 5 days a week, field season is starting (I am a wildlife biologist) and we are starting a huge renovation (gutting a basement putting in two bedrooms, full bathroom, mini kitchen laundry room) doing all the work ourselves except for electrical. I think I need a live-in maid and 5 more hours in every day.... or maybe just more beer {sigh}
2014-05-12 12:55 PM

User image

Expert

sorry to everyone I have been awol due to personal difficulties. I am back.

stress fracture is healed up getting back to running. taking it slow but back up to 3 miles. First race in SC on the 17th.

Scott - I'm sorry life has been hard - but I am thrilled your're back! Glad to hear the stress fracture is on the mend as well! Good luck next weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.