BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-12-19 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Right now! Let's do this!

GROUP FOCUS: This group is perfect for beer loving people looking to do their first Sprint or Olympic triathons in 2014. Beer is a great motivator and I'm willing to use it to not only to motivate you but to hold you accountable as well.

NAME: David or DQ

STORY: Last year, I was weighing in at a portly 270 pounds and knew I needed to find a way of becoming heathier and happier. So, I started working out with the goal of dropping the weight. It seemed to take forever, but with support from my mentor group and from the desire to drink good beer, I made steady progress and managed to make working out and eating well a way of life. For me, its all about being happy and healthy and tri is the perfect way to do it.

FAMILY STATUS: I am blessed to be married to Heidi and during the last 15 years, we've had three kids 12, 11, and 4

CURRENT TRAINING: I love swimming, biking and running and I usually do each element 2-3x per week. I'm also trying out yoga with the hope of alleviating injuries (I struggle with plantar fasciitis, ITB, and bursitis).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I haven't raced yet.

2013 RACES: This year, my goal is to get faster. Here's the plan - May-Season Opener (sprint), June - Heartbreak Hill 5K, July-Mark Mellon Oly, September-Pumpkinman (half iron man), November-Chilly half marathon.

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything but my favorite styles are saison, gueuze, and IPA's. I also make beer, and I've got a wheat IPA in the fridge.

WEIGHT LOSS: Last year, I lost 96 pounds. Who knew that you could drink beer and lose weight? It's all about moderation. My doctor just told me that I need to get down to 165, so I have about another 20 to lose. Let's do it together!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: To be honest, I would not have been able to accomplish what I did in 2012 without the help of my awesome mentor (thanks DH) and fellow beer loving mentees. I am so thankful, and I want to repay my debt by helping those who join this group to accomplish their goals. I promise to check the forum everyday and I will do my best to answer your questions and cheer you on as you prepare for the 2013 tri season. As a group, we will use beer to help motivate us to get healthier and happier and to put us in a good position to accomplish our goals and kick a little butt along the way.

PROST!!!

Edited by Qua17 2014-01-08 3:08 PM

2013-12-20 8:21 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3

If you will have me in your group again, here is my bio.

NAME: Thor

STORY: A few years back was closing in around 300lbs. Lost a bunch of weight and decided to do a sprint tri....loved it and have continued on with it. If all stars align, I should race at about 190.(my goal for this year) Have had nerve/neck issues this past year causing me to not t race in 2013. I did however take an triathlon officiating course and my coaching course. I also started a triathlon club in my city. This past year my wife has also taken the plunge and started doing triathlons. My son and daughter also race. My daughters first race was this past year.

FAMILY STATUS: I am blessed to be married to Jocelyn and during the last 18 years, we've had two kids 11 and 6.

RACE Length FOCUS: Sprints and Olympic 

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now trying to get back into it. Will be shooting for 2-3x for each discipline.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Only one for sure is Heart of the Rockies...The whole family will be participating in this one!

2013 RACES: None, nil, zero, zip, de nada due to injury...it was a sad year. 

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything(even the odd fruit beer) but my favorite style is IPA.

WEIGHT LOSS: Gained a few pounds this past year. Waiting for after Christmas to weigh in...David should we post weight and weight loss goals in January?

For those of you thinking of joining, I will say that I have been in groups with David, as well as ones he has led. He does a great job!  Very positive and very knowledgable.

2013-12-20 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
NAME: Charles

STORY: Four years ago, I started losing weight in anticipation of my wedding, and proceeded to lose about 115 pounds. At my lowest, I saw 179, and I'm currently right at 200. I got bit by the triathlon bug hard in late 2012, and 2013 featured my first sprint, two olympics, plus a 5k, a 10k, a full marathon, and a half marathon. Triathlon has helped me find a new purpose and a new hobby.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, happily; no children currently.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently, I'm screwing around mostly, and I have 42 more miles to run this year to crack 1,000 total miles.

2014 RACES: My calendar is rapidly filling up. Right now, the "A" game is Ironman Wisconsin - 140.6 miles of triathlon (in)sanity, featuring 2,900 feet of climbing and not 5 minutes of straight course anywhere in its 112 miles.

To that, I also have Ironman Racine 70.3, and probably also the Chicago Triathlon, a sprint here or there, Rev3 Dells (oly or half). Probably also the Monona Terrace 2.4 mile open water swim (same swim as IMWI).

I'm also looking to tackle the Muddy Monk trail run challenge - 13 trail runs in a year.

BEER PREFERENCE: Malt is where it's at, friends. To my hop-head friends, I hope you learn the error in your ways soon . I could drink nothing bu Marzen style beer all year long and consider my palate sated. I love tasting new hefenweise as well, since they are all so delightfully and differently similar - it's a beer that think's its a banana cake. I set out some cascadia hops last year, and I'm hoping for a decent crop this year now that they've gotten a good start, so I can try my hand at home-brewing.

WEIGHT LOSS: Welcome to my struggle.

GOALS 2014:
(1) Get to racing weight - 165 pounds, 9% bodyfat.
(2) Spending significant quality time bonding with my 2013 Felt B2, a/k/a Miss Cryin' Shame.
(3) Get faster at everything.
2013-12-20 10:30 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon NAME: Charles STORY: Four years ago, I started losing weight in anticipation of my wedding, and proceeded to lose about 115 pounds. At my lowest, I saw 179, and I'm currently right at 200. I got bit by the triathlon bug hard in late 2012, and 2013 featured my first sprint, two olympics, plus a 5k, a 10k, a full marathon, and a half marathon. Triathlon has helped me find a new purpose and a new hobby. FAMILY STATUS: Married, happily; no children currently. CURRENT TRAINING: Currently, I'm screwing around mostly, and I have 42 more miles to run this year to crack 1,000 total miles. 2014 RACES: My calendar is rapidly filling up. Right now, the "A" game is Ironman Wisconsin - 140.6 miles of triathlon (in)sanity, featuring 2,900 feet of climbing and not 5 minutes of straight course anywhere in its 112 miles. To that, I also have Ironman Racine 70.3, and probably also the Chicago Triathlon, a sprint here or there, Rev3 Dells (oly or half). Probably also the Monona Terrace 2.4 mile open water swim (same swim as IMWI). I'm also looking to tackle the Muddy Monk trail run challenge - 13 trail runs in a year. BEER PREFERENCE: Malt is where it's at, friends. To my hop-head friends, I hope you learn the error in your ways soon . I could drink nothing bu Marzen style beer all year long and consider my palate sated. I love tasting new hefenweise as well, since they are all so delightfully and differently similar - it's a beer that think's its a banana cake. I set out some cascadia hops last year, and I'm hoping for a decent crop this year now that they've gotten a good start, so I can try my hand at home-brewing. WEIGHT LOSS: Welcome to my struggle. GOALS 2014: (1) Get to racing weight - 165 pounds, 9% bodyfat. (2) Spending significant quality time bonding with my 2013 Felt B2, a/k/a Miss Cryin' Shame. (3) Get faster at everything.

Malts are good...from the ice cream shop....

2013-12-20 9:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
If I can join:

Name: Kevin

Story: I grew up wrestling. I grew fond of running after practices and on weekends to help maintain the weight, and then to augment my conditioning. I was 185 my senior year of football season in high school and dropped to 148 for wrestling season. I began to run hard and fast. In college I ran a 6:20 min/mi pace for 4 mile runs. I ran a 5:40 mile as my fastest mile while training to walk on to the wrestling squad. We had a 3 month conditioning program that ended with us running a 13.1 mile run to make the team. I ran it in 1:46. At the time, I didn't even know what a half marathon was. College didn't work out. Finances. I enlisted in the Army and ran and drank beer on my spare time. I would fun my PT test in 11:somethings for my 2 mile runs.

Fast forward to five years ago. It had been 10+ years since I'd been actively running. I began watching the Biggest Loser when it first came on the scene with my wife. Her and I were way overweight, and out of shape. I think it was their 3rd or so season when they had the contestants running a marathon towards the end of their time on the show. That was the season Terra Costa ran it in 4:00:00. I was inspired. I got motivated.

I ran 5 marathons in 3 years. I always had in mind a 3:30 goal. I ran 3:35, 3:48, 3:46, 3:57, and 3:32. The experience of training and running those marathons was such a life altering experience. I decided somewhere in the middle of that to do IM. Terra Costa did it. I was inspired. I did a HIM in the summer of 2012. I found accountability on this board, and training advice online and on the forums. I went after it with the goal of a 6:00:00 finish. I crushed it. 5:36. I did the bike at 19.5 mph. That is significant because I had only hit 17 mph as my best training ride, thus the difference in goal finish to actual finish.

But for as great as this was to me, it came at a price. I was on the shelf for 2 months + after that race with a horrible nagging behind my right knee. I had pushed the bike too hard. In 2013 I tried to come back, but never have recovered. My knee is fine, but now it is my right calf. I was entertaining the thought of a 50K early in 2014, and have had a possible tear in my calf almost as soon as I began building miles.
I still hold out hope at getting better, maybe doing a late season HIM, with IM for July 2015. (IM CDA)

Family status: Married to my wife Sarah for 11 years now. We have daughter Esther (8), Mercy (4), and Eleanor (6 mo.). My family is my foundation. I am impulsive, and they keep me centered and grounded.

Race Focus: IM and long distance tri is my focus. Though I only have the one tri under belt to date, I like the idea of quality training for long course. I enjoy the grind. For Running it's Marathon's. I would love to add Ultra's in my future, starting with the progression of 50K, 50mile, 100K, and so forth. I only personally know 1 100 miler, and that's insane, but maybe not outside the realm of possibility.

Current training: I currently cycle on the trainer 2 mornings for around 30-40 min. sessions. I like to swim 1-2 times per week with the idea of 1 long swim, and 1 interval/sprint swim. I do core workouts and circuit training 2-3 times/week. I help out with wrestling team/ play hockey 1x per week to keep it interesting.

2013: I was on the shelf. I paid for my 6th marathon, but the knee had me not start. I then wrestled the calf for the last half of 2013.

2014: I'm hoping to heal. Hoping to do late season HIM. Will volunteer for IM CDA and hopefully sign up for IM CDA for 2015 if calf is better by then.

Beer preference: I go the whole year drinking IPA's and Winter brews. I plan my year on the Winter brew cycle. I augment occasionally with a Hefewiezen, Pale, or ESB, Lager, Pilsner, Bock, etc.etc.etc. Heck, I just like beer.

Weight loss: My metabolism used to be off the charts. I've always eaten anything and maintained. The last year, it took a dive. I've never had a harder time keeping the lbs. off and am maintaining around 200-205. Hoping to be back to 175-160 for 2015 if I can start running again.

I owe this board much. We've been accountable for a few seasons now. This is a great board!

Edited by kevinbe 2013-12-20 9:55 PM
2013-12-22 3:04 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
NAME: Alex (a.k.a Nancy Boy)

STORY: I've lost over 80 pounds to date an am closing in on 2 years of being smoke free. '13 was my first year in triathlon and I fell in love.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with one amazing 8 year old boy

CURRENT TRAINING: All around busting my a$$. Beginning a new training plan this week.

2014 RACES: No idea. I wanted to stay with sprints to get faster but may cave into the peer pressure of a HIM. More about this later. Add in scattered 5k races with my son.

BEER PREFERENCE: Does cold and bottomless count as a type?

WEIGHT LOSS: 80 pounds so far and trying for another 5-10 to finish it off but going slow since my training was suffering from not enough calories/

Would be thrilled to be able to continue with this group. I have grown so much in the past 12 months with the BDAS 1 and 2.

2013-12-23 7:29 AM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
Greatly enjoy being with this group in 2013. Would love to be included again this next year!

Name: Bill

Story: I've was involved in athletics all of my life until my body wouldn't let me continue any longer. Managed to play a little football and baseball through my junior year of college (way back in 1993). I was never involved in any endurance sport. I've continued to battle joint problems in my shoulders and elbows. Anyway, I took up running a few years ago and decided this past year to give triathlon a go. I made a completely spontaneous decision this past summer to train and do my first sprint race. Being a school teacher and having the summer off, I spent my two months off training 5-6 days a week and found that the variety helped me avoid the running aches and pains I'd experienced previously. Also, the swimming was doing my shoulder WONDERS!!! Was able to complete two races in 2013 and I fully intend to continue my triathlon journey as long as I'm able.

Family Status: Been married to my wife Deirdre since 2000. We have two great girls ages 9 and 5, plus two dogs 1 and 14. Our daughters are vey active and make it a challenge to train consistently. Softball, soccer, dance, church choir. Also, the wife is right in the middle of getting her PhD. Things get pretty crazy at times.

Current Training: Just trying to maintain a decent level of fitness currently. Hope to ramp things up a little after the first of the year. Trying to get 3 workouts a week now. I'll add more when the days start getting longer and it warms up!

This Years Races: That's a big question right now. My oldest, Abby, is playing travel softball. (I'm one of her coaches too!) We'll have lots of tournaments and I don't always had dates very far in advance. Makes it hard to train for a specific date in mind. I'm planning to do my first OLY race this year and have a dream of possibly doing a HIM. Looking at Augusta, GA in September. Overall, I hope I can do as many as 4 races this year.

2013 Races: I was able to do my first 2 sprint races. I was very anxious to give racing a try and rushed to do my first one. I think I only had 6 weeks of training when I did it. The swim kicked my butt and I was extremely disappointed with my results. But, I rebounded a month later at my second race. I met all of the goals I set for myself in that race and I'm setting higher ones for 2014.

Beer Preference: Cold, wet. I'll drink most anything. Yes, even Coors Light!

Weight Loss: This typically has never been a problem for me. However, age can change much! It's been harder and harder to keep my weight down. I only dropped about 10 pounds with all my training last summer. I've put 5 back on. I'm shooting for 10 more this year which will bring me down to 155.
2013-12-23 2:01 PM
in reply to: NeverTri'd

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Swim and strength training today. I did 550 total yards, but I did 5-50's and a couple 100's at threshold and above pace. My arms are sore. I liked it. I think I'll shoot for one interval day and one endurance day in the pool, building on both.

Calf is still laboring. I miss running.

Merry Christmas BDAS!
2013-12-24 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

As I sit here drinking my Co-op premium beer(think cheap trader joes type beer) I would like to wish all my BDAS tri friends a very Merry Christmas!

.Enjoy family, friends, food and beer. Hope you get some great tri related gear!

If anyone gets a new bike, I am moving in with you for next Christmas!

2013-12-25 12:51 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Merry Christmas BDASers! I hope all of you are having a excellent day. I wanted to say that I'm thankful for each and every one of you for helping me get where I am by supporting me through the entire year. You all have given me the gift of confidence, motivation, and fitness....thank you!
2013-12-25 4:40 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

2 days in a row of running with my wife for me!! Felt great today. Could there be  three days in a row??

2013-12-25 4:55 PM
in reply to: NeverTri'd

User image

Expert
I apologize for my absence since last Thursday... My son has been in the hospital and diagnosed with something called Guillian Barre syndrome. It was really scary until the docs figured it out. When we got the hospital, he had lost control of the muscles in his face (he looked like he was having a stroke - but on both sides of his face). He was also losing feeling in his legs and his balance was so bad he found it difficult to walk. Luckily - he should make a full recovery but be are headed to the rehab hospital where Jacob did a three month stint when he had a TBI. Docs don't know how long he will be there - but the good thing is that my training partner works there, so I should be able to get in a few good workouts.

Managed to get in a "workout" - I ran up and down the stairs here at the hospital for about ten minutes and then when my legs were about to burst, I found the empy corridors of the med school.

I figure we should go live sometime between now and the weekend. I just want to say before we add a few new BTers, I am so thankful to have you in my life. You have held me accountable and for that I am thankful. It's gonna be a great 2014!

2013-12-25 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 I apologize for my absence since last Thursday... My son has been in the hospital and diagnosed with something called Guillian Barre syndrome. It was really scary until the docs figured it out. When we got the hospital, he had lost control of the muscles in his face (he looked like he was having a stroke - but on both sides of his face). He was also losing feeling in his legs and his balance was so bad he found it difficult to walk. Luckily - he should make a full recovery but be are headed to the rehab hospital where Jacob did a three month stint when he had a TBI. Docs don't know how long he will be there - but the good thing is that my training partner works there, so I should be able to get in a few good workouts. Managed to get in a "workout" - I ran up and down the stairs here at the hospital for about ten minutes and then when my legs were about to burst, I found the empy corridors of the med school. I figure we should go live sometime between now and the weekend. I just want to say before we add a few new BTers, I am so thankful to have you in my life. You have held me accountable and for that I am thankful. It's gonna be a great 2014!

David, knowing what is wrong and knowing that he should have a full recovery has my vote for Christmas present of the year. Enjoy the holiday season.

PS: had a couple of IPA"s tonite. One from Idaho and one from Portland...I love beer and beer loves me!

2013-12-26 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 Open
Just a quick check in... JQ moved into the rehab hospital he left 9 years, 3 months, and 5 days ago... While it was nice to be back... it also sucked to be there. But the important thing is that starting tomorrow, he will get 6 therapy sessions a day and that's just what he needs right now.

I managed to squeeze in a quick swim. Not sure how far I went... I'm gonna guess about 900 yards. After not swimming for a week, it felt like I was swimming in butter. Would have gone farther but had to get home. Tomorrow morning, I plan on hooking up my bike to the drainer and getting in an hour. Friday's are usually a rest day but I've had the last week to rest. To be honest, I'm looking forward to hopping on the bike and testing out how the new seat and bike fit feel on the body. Fingers are crossed.

I'm drinking a Newcastle Brown... Tasty.

Edited by Qua17 2013-12-26 6:07 PM
2013-12-26 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Glad things are getting figured out. Hope and prayers go out to your son and your family. Keep up the fight DQ.

I've never had a Newcastle Brown Ale before. I've seen it many, many times, but never have pulled the trigger. This week, I'm going to resolve to drink a Newcastle.
2013-12-27 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

Glad things are getting figured out. Hope and prayers go out to your son and your family. Keep up the fight DQ.

I've never had a Newcastle Brown Ale before. I've seen it many, many times, but never have pulled the trigger. This week, I'm going to resolve to drink a Newcastle.

Thanks for the kind wishes and prayers Kevin. JQ is off at his second therapy session of the morning and we have been getting good reports that his body is starting to bounce back from the Gullian Barre Syndrome. I have brought my roller and yoga mat to the hopsital and intend to get in some PT of my own when Jacob is busy doing his thing.

In a strange twist of fate - Jacob's doctor here is the guy I've been training with. We are planning on bringing our drainers in on Sunday and getting in a couple of hours of riding before football starts in the afternoon.

Enjoy the Newcastle - I think you will like it. It will go well with the fish you will be bringing home from your trip. Don't pull a Thor and forget to put a worm on your hook.

2013-12-29 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Okay to get the ball rolling for the new year I am going to start the 100 pushup challenge. I have done this in the past and was successful...time to do it again.

Anybody wanting hop aboard...http://hundredpushups.com

they have a free app for iphone/touch/pad you can download!

the app is called Official 100 Pushups, it has a green logo.

We can post our weekly results!

Edited by thor67 2013-12-29 11:20 AM
2013-12-29 3:06 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Have ya got room for a beer loving female to join?? I notice a few familiar names from a 2012 forum! Hello again !!!

NAME: Tera

STORY: Started running in 2008 seriously to do a relay with some ladies from work from Baker to Vegas and was hooked. I've always been active but never raced. 2009 I had my daughter and bought my first road bike with intentions to do a triathlon, but needed to learn to swim good!.....2010- 5months after having my daughter I did a sprint tri and then thought I was going to quit.....I did a couple duathlons and 5/10kms and then 2011 tri season started up again and I gave it another tri :P .....I did 3 more sprints ( 2 ows) and my first half marathon that fall and then took the big leap and signed up for Ironman Canada! Yep crazy after only doing a sprint tri and half marathon......I ran my first marathon 2012 @ the Rock and Roll Arizona marathon.....raced the CPS half and sub 2hr!!! ...raced my first oly @ wasa and it was so cold they bumped the swim to a 750m......raced Great White North and then Ironman Canada!

About 6 weeks after that I got pregnant with my son and he was born Mid-july. I managed to run right up till 39 weeks with him and did a couple of 5km races. recovery was quick with him and I started back training only to have a nasty bike crash beginning of sept ....however I managed to race duathlon in Sept and came in 4th place. Around thanksgiving I came down with piriformus syndrome and dislocated ribs.....which the crash likely contributed to. We were planning a trip to Disneyland/Vegas in Nov and physio said I had to stop any swim/bike/run if I wanted to walk around Disney land....so I did. 2 months of nothing!!!! Just got the green beginning of this month and it's be tough taking it easy.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, almost 4 yr old girl and 5 month old boy, 2 dogs & a cat.

CURRENT TRAINING: just got over the flu so been a slow start this month....but aiming for something every second day alternating between run & biking. from 30min to 45min.....finally having no pain while running now. Planning on starting on a beginners 70.3 program starting January.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: CPS half with my hubby, Rock and Roll San Diego half with hubby, IM YYC 70.3....and likely a sprint or oly before that ...Aiming to finish all of these, no pr's & running half's with my hubby who just did his first half last month!

WEIGHTLOSS: only have about 7lbs left to pre-baby weight....not too concerned about it right now, still nursing so that naturally retains 5lbs and it's winter.

Favorite beer: I love trying new types but i'm a Coors & clam at heart ( with dill pickle sunflower seeds while camping is my fav!!!)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love to inspire and give any tips where I can....Triathlon is a fun but expensive sport so any tricks of the trade can definitely help! Also training for IM with a 2 year old was a challenge but I think I had work/life/training balanced pretty good!
2013-12-29 3:51 PM
in reply to: rydergal

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by rydergal Have ya got room for a beer loving female to join?? I notice a few familiar names from a 2012 forum! Hello again !!! NAME: Tera STORY: Started running in 2008 seriously to do a relay with some ladies from work from Baker to Vegas and was hooked. I've always been active but never raced. 2009 I had my daughter and bought my first road bike with intentions to do a triathlon, but needed to learn to swim good!.....2010- 5months after having my daughter I did a sprint tri and then thought I was going to quit.....I did a couple duathlons and 5/10kms and then 2011 tri season started up again and I gave it another tri :P .....I did 3 more sprints ( 2 ows) and my first half marathon that fall and then took the big leap and signed up for Ironman Canada! Yep crazy after only doing a sprint tri and half marathon......I ran my first marathon 2012 @ the Rock and Roll Arizona marathon.....raced the CPS half and sub 2hr!!! ...raced my first oly @ wasa and it was so cold they bumped the swim to a 750m......raced Great White North and then Ironman Canada! About 6 weeks after that I got pregnant with my son and he was born Mid-july. I managed to run right up till 39 weeks with him and did a couple of 5km races. recovery was quick with him and I started back training only to have a nasty bike crash beginning of sept ....however I managed to race duathlon in Sept and came in 4th place. Around thanksgiving I came down with piriformus syndrome and dislocated ribs.....which the crash likely contributed to. We were planning a trip to Disneyland/Vegas in Nov and physio said I had to stop any swim/bike/run if I wanted to walk around Disney land....so I did. 2 months of nothing!!!! Just got the green beginning of this month and it's be tough taking it easy. FAMILY STATUS: Married, almost 4 yr old girl and 5 month old boy, 2 dogs & a cat. CURRENT TRAINING: just got over the flu so been a slow start this month....but aiming for something every second day alternating between run & biking. from 30min to 45min.....finally having no pain while running now. Planning on starting on a beginners 70.3 program starting January. THIS YEAR'S RACES: CPS half with my hubby, Rock and Roll San Diego half with hubby, IM YYC 70.3....and likely a sprint or oly before that ...Aiming to finish all of these, no pr's & running half's with my hubby who just did his first half last month! WEIGHTLOSS: only have about 7lbs left to pre-baby weight....not too concerned about it right now, still nursing so that naturally retains 5lbs and it's winter. Favorite beer: I love trying new types but i'm a Coors & clam at heart ( with dill pickle sunflower seeds while camping is my fav!!!) WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love to inspire and give any tips where I can....Triathlon is a fun but expensive sport so any tricks of the trade can definitely help! Also training for IM with a 2 year old was a challenge but I think I had work/life/training balanced pretty good!

Hey Tera, good to have you back on board with new baby to boot!

2013-12-29 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by rydergal

Have ya got room for a beer loving female to join?? I notice a few familiar names from a 2012 forum! Hello again !!!

NAME: Tera

STORY: Started running in 2008 seriously to do a relay with some ladies from work from Baker to Vegas and was hooked. I've always been active but never raced. 2009 I had my daughter and bought my first road bike with intentions to do a triathlon, but needed to learn to swim good!.....2010- 5months after having my daughter I did a sprint tri and then thought I was going to quit.....I did a couple duathlons and 5/10kms and then 2011 tri season started up again and I gave it another tri :P .....I did 3 more sprints ( 2 ows) and my first half marathon that fall and then took the big leap and signed up for Ironman Canada! Yep crazy after only doing a sprint tri and half marathon......I ran my first marathon 2012 @ the Rock and Roll Arizona marathon.....raced the CPS half and sub 2hr!!! ...raced my first oly @ wasa and it was so cold they bumped the swim to a 750m......raced Great White North and then Ironman Canada!

About 6 weeks after that I got pregnant with my son and he was born Mid-july. I managed to run right up till 39 weeks with him and did a couple of 5km races. recovery was quick with him and I started back training only to have a nasty bike crash beginning of sept ....however I managed to race duathlon in Sept and came in 4th place. Around thanksgiving I came down with piriformus syndrome and dislocated ribs.....which the crash likely contributed to. We were planning a trip to Disneyland/Vegas in Nov and physio said I had to stop any swim/bike/run if I wanted to walk around Disney land....so I did. 2 months of nothing!!!! Just got the green beginning of this month and it's be tough taking it easy.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, almost 4 yr old girl and 5 month old boy, 2 dogs & a cat.

CURRENT TRAINING: just got over the flu so been a slow start this month....but aiming for something every second day alternating between run & biking. from 30min to 45min.....finally having no pain while running now. Planning on starting on a beginners 70.3 program starting January.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: CPS half with my hubby, Rock and Roll San Diego half with hubby, IM YYC 70.3....and likely a sprint or oly before that ...Aiming to finish all of these, no pr's & running half's with my hubby who just did his first half last month!

WEIGHTLOSS: only have about 7lbs left to pre-baby weight....not too concerned about it right now, still nursing so that naturally retains 5lbs and it's winter.

Favorite beer: I love trying new types but i'm a Coors & clam at heart ( with dill pickle sunflower seeds while camping is my fav!!!)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love to inspire and give any tips where I can....Triathlon is a fun but expensive sport so any tricks of the trade can definitely help! Also training for IM with a 2 year old was a challenge but I think I had work/life/training balanced pretty good!

You had be at "beer loving female"! Glad to have you back in the BDAS! Congrats on the new bambino!
2013-12-29 5:22 PM

User image

Expert
Happy Sunday All:

It's been a pretty decent weekend. I was able to get in a nice run on Saturday on the streets near my son's rehab hospital. It was so fun to run in Boston. So many new things to see and the smells of the all the restaurants I past made me drool. My calves were sore when I headed out so I didn't run super fast because I didn't want to exacerabate the brewing injury. I also managed to get in a ride tonight. My training partner and I set up on trainers in the hotel lobby and rode for a half hour while he was on break. It was nice to get in a ride but I wish I could have gone a little longer.

I have written to Ron and I hope the group goes lives early next week.

Prost!

2013-12-29 5:57 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Thanks Thor! That's awesome you are starting a tri club up north- if still lived there I would have loved to join....Keep us posted how it's going- if it's an open group maybe I can join for a couple workouts when I come up to visit the family throughout the year.

Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by rydergal Have ya got room for a beer loving female to join?? I notice a few familiar names from a 2012 forum! Hello again !!! NAME: Tera STORY: Started running in 2008 seriously to do a relay with some ladies from work from Baker to Vegas and was hooked. I've always been active but never raced. 2009 I had my daughter and bought my first road bike with intentions to do a triathlon, but needed to learn to swim good!.....2010- 5months after having my daughter I did a sprint tri and then thought I was going to quit.....I did a couple duathlons and 5/10kms and then 2011 tri season started up again and I gave it another tri :P .....I did 3 more sprints ( 2 ows) and my first half marathon that fall and then took the big leap and signed up for Ironman Canada! Yep crazy after only doing a sprint tri and half marathon......I ran my first marathon 2012 @ the Rock and Roll Arizona marathon.....raced the CPS half and sub 2hr!!! ...raced my first oly @ wasa and it was so cold they bumped the swim to a 750m......raced Great White North and then Ironman Canada! About 6 weeks after that I got pregnant with my son and he was born Mid-july. I managed to run right up till 39 weeks with him and did a couple of 5km races. recovery was quick with him and I started back training only to have a nasty bike crash beginning of sept ....however I managed to race duathlon in Sept and came in 4th place. Around thanksgiving I came down with piriformus syndrome and dislocated ribs.....which the crash likely contributed to. We were planning a trip to Disneyland/Vegas in Nov and physio said I had to stop any swim/bike/run if I wanted to walk around Disney land....so I did. 2 months of nothing!!!! Just got the green beginning of this month and it's be tough taking it easy. FAMILY STATUS: Married, almost 4 yr old girl and 5 month old boy, 2 dogs & a cat. CURRENT TRAINING: just got over the flu so been a slow start this month....but aiming for something every second day alternating between run & biking. from 30min to 45min.....finally having no pain while running now. Planning on starting on a beginners 70.3 program starting January. THIS YEAR'S RACES: CPS half with my hubby, Rock and Roll San Diego half with hubby, IM YYC 70.3....and likely a sprint or oly before that ...Aiming to finish all of these, no pr's & running half's with my hubby who just did his first half last month! WEIGHTLOSS: only have about 7lbs left to pre-baby weight....not too concerned about it right now, still nursing so that naturally retains 5lbs and it's winter. Favorite beer: I love trying new types but i'm a Coors & clam at heart ( with dill pickle sunflower seeds while camping is my fav!!!) WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love to inspire and give any tips where I can....Triathlon is a fun but expensive sport so any tricks of the trade can definitely help! Also training for IM with a 2 year old was a challenge but I think I had work/life/training balanced pretty good!

Hey Tera, good to have you back on board with new baby to boot!

2013-12-29 6:01 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Good to hear you could tour Boston in a fun way! It's so great to go running in new places....Hoping your son is going to have a smooth road to recovery and happy to hear they know what's going on.

Originally posted by Qua17

Happy Sunday All:

It's been a pretty decent weekend. I was able to get in a nice run on Saturday on the streets near my son's rehab hospital. It was so fun to run in Boston. So many new things to see and the smells of the all the restaurants I past made me drool. My calves were sore when I headed out so I didn't run super fast because I didn't want to exacerabate the brewing injury. I also managed to get in a ride tonight. My training partner and I set up on trainers in the hotel lobby and rode for a half hour while he was on break. It was nice to get in a ride but I wish I could have gone a little longer.

I have written to Ron and I hope the group goes lives early next week.

Prost!
2013-12-30 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well cut off my wireless bike computer to install Bluetooth wahoo speed/cadence sensor yesterday....technical difficulties, so I will re do tonite in hopes of getting it fixed! Would like to fire up trainerroad.com!

2013-12-30 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Anybody up for a 20 workouts in 31 days challenge? Will make easy with minimums of 15minute swims, 20 minute runs and 30 minute bikes.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.