General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The importance of finding a lifting program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-19 5:53 PM

Subject: The importance of finding a lifting program
Depending on your goals, there are a number of lifting programs out there, that have been designed and tested by the best. I was always a bit skeptical of the 5/3/1 and 5x5 programs, but I've been following Bill Starr's 5x5 program for nearly three months, and the strength gains have been incredible. It is mentally tedious at first, to go from a high volume way of lifting (which I had been following for a while-I've been lifting off/on for a few years) to a focused, intense, low volume program like 5x5. I honestly wouldn't ever turn back to lifting without a designed program, at this stage...having experienced if you find the right program for your needs, how well it works.

I've modified it slightly, in that I also added in accessory work on non 5x5 days. I'm curious if any here follow any particular programs, and how you like them so far?

2013-12-27 9:59 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: RE: The importance of finding a lifting program
As a trainer.. You have to find a plan that works and is fun for you. 5x5 plans are ok but for strength endurance 3 sets @ 8-12 reps 50-70% of your 1 Rep Max with short rest. I utilize this method with my clients, I generally do fullbody workout while focusing on a specific area. I meet with some clients 2 days a week. its not about quantity its all about quality.
2013-12-27 4:49 PM
in reply to: momo

Originally posted by momo

As a trainer.. You have to find a plan that works and is fun for you. 5x5 plans are ok but for strength endurance 3 sets @ 8-12 reps 50-70% of your 1 Rep Max with short rest. I utilize this method with my clients, I generally do fullbody workout while focusing on a specific area. I meet with some clients 2 days a week. its not about quantity its all about quality.

I agree. I follow now 5x5 for strength gains (I had taken a hiatus from the gym over the summer, and this got me back on track quickly) but I also do accessory work with the program, as well. I've enjoyed this program because it's kept me on track and focused...plus it's exciting to be hitting PR's that I wasn't seeing when I 'winged' my workouts. Thanks for your insight, here!
2014-01-28 12:07 PM

Interesting thread so far.

Certainly a subject I'm reading and learning more about. However, I have not found the right lifting program for me.

I'm a very lean guy, 165 lbs, 6'0". I've always been more of an endurance athlete by build and nature. I have very strong legs, can cycle and run forever, but have a very hard time with upper body strength.

I really enjoy going to the gym but have little to no structure to a program as everything I read goes in a different direction. Truly I'd like to add some bulk (nothing crazy but to the point where its more noticeable that I work out) and ultimately more strength than anything.

So many programs I've seen seem to have tons of isolated movements. I'm primarily interested in compound plans where I can develop strong shoulders, chest, back, core and overall upper body strength. While I really enjoy tri, I also like to rock climb, hike (long distance with plenty of equipment, camera gear, etc.), Stand up paddle, kayak, etc. I'd like to be stronger to aid in all of these areas.

My gym has a lot of equipment but I really prefer heavy free weights and would like to use more barbells but not understanding how to use them correctly with good form has kept me away from them.

Any good recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
2014-01-28 10:54 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by e_powered

Interesting thread so far.

Certainly a subject I'm reading and learning more about. However, I have not found the right lifting program for me.

I'm a very lean guy, 165 lbs, 6'0". I've always been more of an endurance athlete by build and nature. I have very strong legs, can cycle and run forever, but have a very hard time with upper body strength.

I really enjoy going to the gym but have little to no structure to a program as everything I read goes in a different direction. Truly I'd like to add some bulk (nothing crazy but to the point where its more noticeable that I work out) and ultimately more strength than anything.

So many programs I've seen seem to have tons of isolated movements. I'm primarily interested in compound plans where I can develop strong shoulders, chest, back, core and overall upper body strength. While I really enjoy tri, I also like to rock climb, hike (long distance with plenty of equipment, camera gear, etc.), Stand up paddle, kayak, etc. I'd like to be stronger to aid in all of these areas.

My gym has a lot of equipment but I really prefer heavy free weights and would like to use more barbells but not understanding how to use them correctly with good form has kept me away from them.

Any good recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Hello

I think you might like, and benefit from a program centering on...bench, squat, leg press, deadlifts, and rows. (seated or standing with db's) Building accessory work around those lifts...accessory being biceps, triceps, pull ups, etc.

Maybe work that three times per week, for say 60 to 90 days, and see how you do.

To learn proper form, just use no weight added onto the bar for example, for squats, and deadlifts...until you get the form down correctly. Hope this helps a bit? Just my suggestion, but when I first started to lift weights a few years back, I started with the core lifts: deadlifts, benching, squats...and built the plan around that.

I'd recommend the 5x5 plan, but there are a lot of variations...the one I've been following, centers around deadlifts, squats, and bench...three times per week, separating the degrees of intensity each day for each lifting session. I had taken some time off from lifting last year, so it was the perfect plan for me, to gain strength back quickly. But, the option I followed is one of a few. I say ''followed'' because I'm training now for a 1/2 marathon, and the overall program to follow through every week in its entirety, is pretty taxing with endurance training.

This is a really great read, that you will find useful, I think... http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/098252...

Hard to say what plan would suit you best...some of this is trial and error. But, I think if you start out like I suggested with deadlifts (for back), squats (for legs), and bench (for chest)...and build around that...gradually...I think you'll find what suits your needs and that you enjoy, too. Programs are good though, because they keep you focused -- my opinion. I'm still a novice frankly...but, just offering what I've learned along the way. :=)

Edited by SGirl 2014-01-28 11:14 PM
2014-01-30 9:35 AM

User image

This is something that has been on my mind as of late. I have tried to stick to the ST that came with my training plan but frankly: I seem to bulk up way to easily, and I really dont need more bulk. But does ST really help with S/R/B and I am potentially missing out? Any thoughts on if ST could be semi replaced by voga?

2014-01-30 12:59 PM

Thanks for the advice SGirl!

I'm always open for suggestions and from someone with successes. I'll be sure to check out that book. Happy to see they have it for my Kindle.

This seems like a pretty practical approach. I've been going to the gym pretty actively for the last couple weeks. I'll start incorporating these exercises in more frequently and see where it takes me.

Thanks again.

Best of luck with all your training.

Alex
2014-01-30 2:07 PM
in reply to: PowerRuff

Originally posted by PowerRuff

This is something that has been on my mind as of late. I have tried to stick to the ST that came with my training plan but frankly: I seem to bulk up way to easily, and I really dont need more bulk. But does ST really help with S/R/B and I am potentially missing out? Any thoughts on if ST could be semi replaced by voga?

I think it depends on the program one is running, if it helps or hinders endurance training.
For example, I’ve been training for a ½ marathon…but when I decided upon that, I had been following the 5x5 plan for about 4 months. The plan calls for deadlifting, squats and bench three times (days) per week.

So, as I started increasing my running (and it’s nowhere near where I’ll be in a few months, but still)…my hip adductor strained, from all the squatting and running.

So, that plan (as I was following it) is not a good supplement for endurance training, my opinion. (in its entirety)

But, you could lift three times per week, following a split of chest/back/legs…something that isn’t too taxing…in order to supplement your endurance training. Before 5x5, I’ve followed a plan such as this, and my running and biking really benefited—some muscle growth helped in those two areas.

So, I think lifting can be beneficial or a hindrance, depending on the type of plan you follow, and how often. If one’s focus is endurance sports, there’s only so many hours per day/week to train.

And yes, depending on the type of yoga you’d be interested in doing, it most definitely could benefit you! I’ve done yoga …it’s been a while. I miss it sometimes. I remember I slept really well after yoga classes. haha
2014-02-02 1:39 PM
in reply to: e_powered

Originally posted by e_powered

Thanks for the advice SGirl!

I'm always open for suggestions and from someone with successes. I'll be sure to check out that book. Happy to see they have it for my Kindle.

This seems like a pretty practical approach. I've been going to the gym pretty actively for the last couple weeks. I'll start incorporating these exercises in more frequently and see where it takes me.

Thanks again.

Best of luck with all your training.

Alex

I'd be interested to see how you progress, and what you think of the core lifts...and building around it. It takes time if you're coming up with your own ''program'' to find what works best, but good luck and post about it in your log. I'll follow there, if you do.

Have a good day!
2014-02-03 11:34 AM

I've never used the logs on here. I'll have to check it out.

As for creating a program, this has been challenging. I try to swim/workout 3-4 days a week. Often bouncing back and forth. With working full time and engineering school I'm only left with a few gaps of time here and there to train. While I really enjoy it, its not enough to train the way I wish I could. Thus why I've been trying to come up with a better program to get the most out of each workout. When the weather warms up I'll be able to get more cycling and running in outdoors and can then concentrate strength training a bit better throughout the week.

Thanks for all the support.

Alex
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The importance of finding a lifting program Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Thoughts on an Oly lifting program?

Started by StartingToTri
Views: 1956 Posts: 8

2010-08-06 1:09 PM uhcoog

Run then lift or lift then run? Pages: 1 2

Started by svea
Views: 14199 Posts: 36

2008-12-18 11:53 PM matula

Stop weight lifting?

Started by chirunner134
Views: 3852 Posts: 25

2009-01-16 2:07 AM chunta

Cutting back on lifting...

Started by goknights1
Views: 3674 Posts: 22

2008-08-16 1:41 PM benc84

Lifting Newbie, need some advice

Started by sudie
Views: 1603 Posts: 9

2008-01-08 1:33 PM Q
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner

date : April 26, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on swimming with no pool, IM long bike and run scheduling, the importance of base, finding motivation, Zoot shoes and running gait analysis.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Bicep Curl-Incline Bench, Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 22, 2006
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Standing Lunges strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.