BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-03-25 5:39 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed
Originally posted by crissy_jo

Back from Disney last weekend. I'd estimate we got in at least 10 miles of speed walking around the parks every single day.  Only exercise other than that was a quick 2 mile run the morning before flying home.  Have been swamped with activities since returning home and have cut most of my workouts short the last week and missed this weekend entirely.  So I totally get the frustration over missing a long training day, as I have missed them 3 weeks in a row. We stayed on the resort in the All Sports resort.  Pretty basic accommodations, but we liked the food there way better than the food in the park.  Mostly because we try and eat healthy and they had huge daily selections of foods like mahi-mahi, salmon, tilapia, steamed veggies, etc.

I have a race this weekend.  A 4 hour race, so at least I'll get a long workout in this weekend.   The weather forecast is calling for 40's - 50's for the race!  Kind of excited for the HOT temperatures.  I'm sure somehow the forecast will change before then and we'll be biking in freezing sleet/snow with frozen derailleurs like last year, unable to shift gears.  Oh, it was rather funny the last hour of the race last year, stuck in one of my lowest gears on an uphill, and then being forced to pedal like a mad woman to try and reach just 10-12 mph on the flat sections.  Perhaps I should give up racing when it's so cold out?  Nah, where is the fun in that?!  Oh, and I think I might have gotten frost nip on my fingers as ever since that race my fingers go white and numb if they get the slightest chill.  I used to never have to wear gloves, now I can't find mittens warm enough.

So, enough about me. I'm going to finish catching up on all of your posts now.

Good luck. Hope the weather holds.

2014-03-25 7:12 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by ccmpsyd
Originally posted by uhcoog

So this weekend's training was screwed. Supposed to ride 3 hours with a 30 minute Trun. Needless to say between my parents leaving Saturday, it getting cool/spitting rain Sunday morning, and getting our house ready to list it didn't happen. 3 weeks until NOLA and I really can't afford (mentally) to miss long training days.

It getting cool/spitting rain....? Seriously? Just kidding...haven't you said to others something along the lines of "it's one workout"...."you have a big base"....etc. Don't sweat it.

I knew I'd catch $h!t from you.  I just don't want to get sick at this point.  

2014-03-27 3:03 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Pro
CyFair

Look what finally showed up today.Cert

in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
CyFair

duplicate

Edited by uhcoog 2014-03-27 3:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
CyFair

triplicate.

Edited by uhcoog 2014-03-27 3:05 PM
2014-03-28 12:09 AM
in reply to: #4916036

Cool! I noticed it before, but it shows up much better (ie bigger) here.

2014-04-01 5:23 PM
in reply to: kathleenkp

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Congrats Scott!! That's great!!

I flew back to Colorado this past weekend for a hut trip with some friends. Unfortunately my snowboard boots needed to be replaced a year ago and the 7 mile skin in on my splitboard gave me some nasty huge blisters. Putting the boots back on to hike/snowboard out on Sunday was extremely painful. But the time with my friends was completely worth it. Tonight we'll see how the cycling and running shoes feel as I'm back to the regular schedule.

Happy April Fools everybody!
2014-04-02 12:07 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Congrats Scott! We're a week and half out from NOLA 70.3, you ready?!
2014-04-04 10:00 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Dunn Right Congrats Scott! We're a week and half out from NOLA 70.3, you ready?!

I'm starting to feel fresh so that's good.  I'm ready to race.  I'm not so ready for the 6 hour drive after the race.

2014-04-08 3:04 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by Dunn Right Congrats Scott! We're a week and half out from NOLA 70.3, you ready?!
I'm starting to feel fresh so that's good.  I'm ready to race.  I'm not so ready for the 6 hour drive after the race.
How about 16 hours?! At least the weather is looking much more favorable than it has been -- only a 10% chance for rain now. It will still be windy though.
2014-04-08 5:54 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Dunn Right
How about 16 hours?! At least the weather is looking much more favorable than it has been -- only a 10% chance for rain now. It will still be windy though.

You coming alone?

2014-04-08 5:55 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

So I volunteered in Galveston last weekend.  So much fun... and work.  Wow.  It did stoke my fire for NOLA this weekend though.

2014-04-08 7:09 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
You coming alone?
Nope! Wife is coming along too. She has been insanely supportive of everything, I hope that never changes!
2014-04-09 3:01 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

You coming alone?
Nope! Wife is coming along too. She has been insanely supportive of everything, I hope that never changes!

Sweet.  I need to pack my $hiat tomorrow and wait on my new kit to arrive.  They say nothing new on race day huh?  Oh well, if I chafe so be it.  Ugh need to bring my laptop too so I can write training plans while bumming around on Saturday.

So our house sold in a day and a half of getting listed and before we even looked at one house.  Crazy.  So we spent last weekend touring a ton of houses and now have a signed contract on a freaking huge house.  Guess that's what you need when you have 3 kids who will all be teens at about the same time.  If anyone ever comes to Houston for IMTX or Galveston you're more than welcome to crash at my place.

2014-04-10 9:39 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Same here, everything is laid out on the bed and ready to go. Every time I check the weather forecast for Sunday the predicted wind is +1 mph (currently up to 17mph), whomp whomp.

Congrats on the new house, that's very exciting!
2014-04-10 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Good luck guys!!

2014-04-11 2:37 AM
in reply to: #4972561

Congrats on your house situation, Scott.

You two are making me excited about upcoming races.

MechEChick - How are the blisters?
2014-04-13 1:05 AM
in reply to: #4979992

Good luck tomorrow in NOLA to both of you.
2014-04-14 10:51 AM
in reply to: kathleenkp

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by kathleenkp

Congrats on your house situation, Scott.

You two are making me excited about upcoming races.

MechEChick - How are the blisters?

Well thanks for asking! They are now just nasty looking places on my feet. Memories of a fun time. How's training going?
2014-04-14 10:51 AM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
HOW WAS NOLA?!?!?!
2014-04-15 9:42 AM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Pro
CyFair

I DNF'd due to mechanical issues on the bike.  Shame too because it was a fast bike course.  

Ended up being a pretty crappy weekend all around.  Deal on the house we're moving into almost fell through Thursday, drive to NOLA took 2 extra hours due to traffic on Friday, our other dog died Saturday, and I DNF'd Sunday.  Hoping this gets all our bad luck out of the way for a while.

2014-04-15 12:50 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Scott, sorry to hear about that. Please tell me you weren't the guy who went over his handlebars at mile 2? I was two bikes behind him and that did not look pretty.

Overall, not too bad for my first HIM; came in at 5:39.

Swim - 26:51
Bike - 2:43:18
Run - 2:24:34

Can you tell where my race fell apart??

Yeah, I overcooked the bike BIG time (for me, at least). I kept wondering why I was feeling so awesome out there until I hit the turnaround (yeah, hello headwind). Really started hurting around mile 50 of the bike. I was out of T2 and through mile 1 in 7:25. When I hit the first aid station I slowed to a walk so I could get some much needed fluids. My legs immediately locked up and I felt like death! It was then that I noticed the sweat caked on my tri suit, arms, and face. Another hint that I might be in trouble was when a volunteer asked me if I needed some sunscreen (could it be that bad, I wondered?). So, I knew I had a decision to make. I could try and muscle this run and risk bonking big time, or I could play it safe and run/walk the next 12 miles. Well, it turned into a run/walk fest that took another 2 hours and 15 minutes. I had promised myself I would never be one of those people but there I was. Well, I learned my lesson!

Personal claim to fame on this race was being 37th overall on the swim!
2014-04-15 2:35 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Dunn Right Scott, sorry to hear about that. Please tell me you weren't the guy who went over his handlebars at mile 2? I was two bikes behind him and that did not look pretty. Overall, not too bad for my first HIM; came in at 5:39. Swim - 26:51 Bike - 2:43:18 Run - 2:24:34 Can you tell where my race fell apart?? Yeah, I overcooked the bike BIG time (for me, at least). I kept wondering why I was feeling so awesome out there until I hit the turnaround (yeah, hello headwind). Really started hurting around mile 50 of the bike. I was out of T2 and through mile 1 in 7:25. When I hit the first aid station I slowed to a walk so I could get some much needed fluids. My legs immediately locked up and I felt like death! It was then that I noticed the sweat caked on my tri suit, arms, and face. Another hint that I might be in trouble was when a volunteer asked me if I needed some sunscreen (could it be that bad, I wondered?). So, I knew I had a decision to make. I could try and muscle this run and risk bonking big time, or I could play it safe and run/walk the next 12 miles. Well, it turned into a run/walk fest that took another 2 hours and 15 minutes. I had promised myself I would never be one of those people but there I was. Well, I learned my lesson! Personal claim to fame on this race was being 37th overall on the swim!

No that wasn't me.  Ouch.  

I started to feel a vibration about mile 5 that became a vibration and a grinding noise by mile 10 and by mile 20 it was time to throw in the towel.  Spent an hour waiting on SAG and then they took me and 2 other guys back to transition.  Since my keys were in my morning bag at the finish like I decided to go ahead and do the run anyway.

You have a world class swim man.  Really that is freaking impressive.  If you put in the time you have a REAL future in this sport.  

2014-04-16 1:32 AM
in reply to: #4980746

That is an AWESOME swim time! I just swam my last meet of the season (kind of like a regionals - the next one is nationals) and two people I met broke the area records. The guy was 65, and the lady in her early 50's. They both swam just under 1:08 pace for the 500. I bet you are right in there with their record setting paces.

That's an impressive job all around. (I especially like it b/c I think that's going to be my story - complete with the walk/run at the end - ha,ha,sob)
2014-04-16 1:33 AM
in reply to: #4982338

Scott - That weekend just kept getting worse.

Did your house deal make it through after all? And did you have to go into the race thinking it might fall through?

Ick. Just ick to all of it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23965 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98369 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15821 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29062 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 1, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Sport and religion both celebrate group values and offer excitement. Sport and religion are grounded in disciplined practice, a devotion to a cause, and a belief in the unseen. And both require faith.

date : April 18, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Balancing the triathlete you are with your vision for the triathlete you could be.
date : November 15, 2010
author : marmadaddy
Kelly Williamson, pro triathlete, reviews her Quintana Roo CD0.1 carbon bike.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.