BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-04-16 1:54 AM
in reply to: #4982339

Subject: RE: Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed
I finally made it for an outdoor ride. (Because Spring is Here! and so is my new bike!!) I had been wondering how my gym bike class was going to do for me since that's all I've been able to do for bike for the last 7 months. I thought I had felt like the effort in class was like I was doing 16mph outside. We did 24 miles at just over 16mph pace, and it was easy for me. I felt like it was less of a workout than my classes have been. We even had 5 "regrouping" breaks of 1-2 min each at 0mph averaged in with that pace. I held back at the beginning due to my anxiety. There were moments I had bad flashbacks - I seem to gain on people when they are pedaling downhill and I'm riding my brakes (must be I'm heavier so I get more momentum???). I didn't draft b/c I just can't get that close to anyone.

I did notice that once back out on the outdoor bike, I generally ride in the bigger gears. So more power, but fewer rpms. That's the way my body works anyway (power over speed), but I wonder if I should do more rpm focus at lighter gears?

So...I suppose it depends on the class, but at least for me, the ones at my gym have been a great substitute for outdoor riding from a conditioning perspective.

2014-04-16 8:51 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Thanks for your kind words Scott, that really means a lot coming from you!
2014-04-16 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by uhcoog

I DNF'd due to mechanical issues on the bike.  Shame too because it was a fast bike course.  

Ended up being a pretty crappy weekend all around.  Deal on the house we're moving into almost fell through Thursday, drive to NOLA took 2 extra hours due to traffic on Friday, our other dog died Saturday, and I DNF'd Sunday.  Hoping this gets all our bad luck out of the way for a while.

Scott, sorry to hear this. Hopefully things are all on the up from here on out!
2014-04-16 9:18 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by Dunn Right

Scott, sorry to hear about that. Please tell me you weren't the guy who went over his handlebars at mile 2? I was two bikes behind him and that did not look pretty.

Overall, not too bad for my first HIM; came in at 5:39.

Swim - 26:51
Bike - 2:43:18
Run - 2:24:34

Can you tell where my race fell apart??

Personal claim to fame on this race was being 37th overall on the swim!

You came in at that time with a 2:24 run? I can't wait to see what you do next time around. I agree with Scott and expect big things from you. Way to kill it. Plus we all have to learn the lesson of not overdoing it on the bike at some point. Better at a 70.3 than a 140.6.

Nice!
2014-04-16 9:26 AM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Okay, here is me being lazy and posting 3 comments rather than getting them all into one.

Kathleen - congrats on getting back out there. Sounds like you are doing great. Wasn't the weather perfect for it? Don't know about you but my bike short tan line has started!

Swam 3000 yards this morning and felt so great. May have been my first swim in... oh... a month. Totally a healthy break 11 weeks from IM. Right? I'll blame it on having to find a new pool with hours that work for me, which was 50% of the problem. But now I've been inspired by our resident speedster and his 26 and change HIM swim. Other than that though, IM training is going pretty well. I'm right on track and starting to get nervous.
2014-04-16 9:56 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

So the house deal is still good.  Set to close 5/8.  Our house payment is going up a bit so that will take some getting used to.

Originally posted by Dunn Right Thanks for your kind words Scott, that really means a lot coming from you!

From what I can tell you need to work on your bike fitness and race tactics.  The swim of a half or a full should really be a non event for you.  If you go out the first 300-400 hard and then settle into a comfortable pace you'll be set.  So set a hr or power cap on the bike and STICK to it.  The bike fitness will help you get off the bike fresher and keeping your effort in check will do the same.  Honestly it's time and experience.

2014-04-16 12:36 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
So the house deal is still good.  Set to close 5/8.  Our house payment is going up a bit so that will take some getting used to.
Originally posted by Dunn Right Thanks for your kind words Scott, that really means a lot coming from you!
From what I can tell you need to work on your bike fitness and race tactics.  The swim of a half or a full should really be a non event for you.  If you go out the first 300-400 hard and then settle into a comfortable pace you'll be set.  So set a hr or power cap on the bike and STICK to it.  The bike fitness will help you get off the bike fresher and keeping your effort in check will do the same.  Honestly it's time and experience.
That assessment sounds spot on. New Orleans was a very humbling experience for me. I've been able to muscle my way through every triathlon I've done before but this one had me beat. Glad I'm figuring all this out reasonably early on!
2014-04-16 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4982341

YES! The weather was PERFECT here! I was happy - I found out last minute my bike had come in and was assembled, so I made two unplanned bike fit appointments and switched up my workout plan to make sure I was at that group ride. It was everything I needed, and the weather was the icing on the cake.

I swam PNA Champs in Federal Way on Sunday - I wondered several times while I was there if you happened to be wandering around, too. But...I guess not. What happened with needing to find a new pool? Just a scheduling issue?
2014-04-16 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4982730

"Right on track and starting to get nervous" sounds like that is...just..right on track! Ha!
2014-04-16 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4982732

Maybe it was humbling b/c you didn't run how you wanted, but we are obviously *impressed*. Plus, it was great for learning, which is what makes this sport so fun. Learning all the nuances.
2014-04-16 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4982734

Great to hear on the house deal!

2014-04-16 10:03 PM
in reply to: kathleenkp

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Some good posts while I have been absent from the boards. Houses selling, half ironmans being raced, swimming, biking outside.

Well, I had a fabulous 12 hour Adventure Race this past Saturday.  My partners and I won the regional race which means we get a $400 scholarship to pay for USARA nationals in the fall and winners jackets.  Super excited about that.  My team was me and 2 guys.  They drafted off me for 90% of the bike legs.  I was amazed at how strong my biking was.  This was the first year I did any type of cycling training over the winter and it has obviously paid off.  It is one of my stronger disciplines to begin with.  I'm just tickled over it all.  90° heat and 25 mph headwinds with gusts to 45 was rather crazy. We all ran out of water twice during the course.  Racing without fluids just stinks.  When we came upon a house and could refill our packs, we just laid in the shade and sucked down the fluids for 10 solid minutes before carrying on with the race.  The very next day we get snow.  Crazy weather.

I have another 12 hour race end of this month. I'll be racing as a 2 person co-ed team, and my oaring skills stink, so I'm going to hope for a short canoe section this race.  Or at least no wind to canoe into.

That's all I have for updates at this time.  Tomorrow is a dark, early morning trainer ride on the agenda.  Still trying to determine which triathlons to do this summer.  They are all bunched up on top of each other in July.

2014-04-17 1:02 AM
in reply to: #4982735

Congrats on your adventure race results!

I heard about that crazy weather. You are on the East Coast? We have had weather like that here on the West Coast, but fortunately not this year.
2014-04-17 9:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by crissy_jo

Some good posts while I have been absent from the boards. Houses selling, half ironmans being raced, swimming, biking outside.

Well, I had a fabulous 12 hour Adventure Race this past Saturday.  My partners and I won the regional race which means we get a $400 scholarship to pay for USARA nationals in the fall and winners jackets.  Super excited about that.  My team was me and 2 guys.  They drafted off me for 90% of the bike legs.  I was amazed at how strong my biking was.  This was the first year I did any type of cycling training over the winter and it has obviously paid off.  It is one of my stronger disciplines to begin with.  I'm just tickled over it all.  90° heat and 25 mph headwinds with gusts to 45 was rather crazy. We all ran out of water twice during the course.  Racing without fluids just stinks.  When we came upon a house and could refill our packs, we just laid in the shade and sucked down the fluids for 10 solid minutes before carrying on with the race.  The very next day we get snow.  Crazy weather.

I have another 12 hour race end of this month. I'll be racing as a 2 person co-ed team, and my oaring skills stink, so I'm going to hope for a short canoe section this race.  Or at least no wind to canoe into.

That's all I have for updates at this time.  Tomorrow is a dark, early morning trainer ride on the agenda.  Still trying to determine which triathlons to do this summer.  They are all bunched up on top of each other in July.

Wow glad to hear things went so well despite running out of water. Hope the early morning trainer ride went well. And good luck at the next adventure race.

P.S. Way to go on being stronger than the guys!
Originally posted by kathleenkp
YES! The weather was PERFECT here! I was happy - I found out last minute my bike had come in and was assembled, so I made two unplanned bike fit appointments and switched up my workout plan to make sure I was at that group ride. It was everything I needed, and the weather was the icing on the cake.

I swam PNA Champs in Federal Way on Sunday - I wondered several times while I was there if you happened to be wandering around, too. But...I guess not. What happened with needing to find a new pool? Just a scheduling issue?

Oh man! I thought momentarily about doing that but skipped out. How'd you do? Yeah, with how early I work and where the pools are for Blue Wave, I'd have to be out of the water by 6:15 to make it to work on time (and that's with only 15 minutes for getting ready). And I really need longer than a 40 minute workout at the moment. I found an LA Fitness with a pool right by work that opens earlier, so that's what I moved to. So far, loving the change!

Edited by MechEChick 2014-04-17 9:31 AM
2014-04-17 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4916036

I got two second places and one fifth for my AG. I missed first place in my 200IM by less than one second - and if I work on backstroke, I can probably drop at least 3 seconds. I am very slow at backstroke. And I don't like it. Also, I had just finished racing the 100 fly less than 10 minutes before I went off the starting block for the 200 IM. I have no idea why the meet director put those two events back to back.
I did the 500 free (one of my 2nd places), which I had never swam before in a meet. I'll definitely be doing that one again, and might move up to the 1000 and 1650 at some point as I think it works well with long-distance tri training. I wasn't swimming as fast in the weeks prior to the meet and I should have been able to drop at least 15 seconds off my 500 based on my recent swim times.
I was surprised how well I did, and mostly think it was luck on who showed up. For Master's meets, I'm actually very slow. I am almost always the best swimmer in the pool and one of the best at whatever gym I swim at. At my current gym, there is only one female faster than me, and that's my swim coach. I can outswim most tri swim times through 70.3 distance. But when you get to a meet - around here at least - only the fastest Master's really go to those in masses. I think it can be intimidating for newer swimmers or those who only swam in high school (like me). But the meets are fun, and the people are, too. Just like tri people.

It's good that you found a pool you can swim in. A 40 minute swim wouldn't work for me, either. At least not on a regular basis. BWAQ is so big - it would be nice if they had at least a couple workouts that would fit your schedule. I love having someone my pace to swim with because it helps challenge me, but I usually swim alone, too.
2014-04-17 6:46 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
So I may or may not have signed up for IM Maryland this afternoon...

2014-04-17 9:06 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Originally posted by kathleenkp Congrats on your adventure race results! I heard about that crazy weather. You are on the East Coast? We have had weather like that here on the West Coast, but fortunately not this year.

Nope, not East coast; smack dab in the middle of the US. Kansas/Nebraska area.

2014-04-17 9:08 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Originally posted by kathleenkp I got two second places and one fifth for my AG. I missed first place in my 200IM by less than one second - and if I work on backstroke, I can probably drop at least 3 seconds. I am very slow at backstroke. And I don't like it. Also, I had just finished racing the 100 fly less than 10 minutes before I went off the starting block for the 200 IM. I have no idea why the meet director put those two events back to back. I did the 500 free (one of my 2nd places), which I had never swam before in a meet. I'll definitely be doing that one again, and might move up to the 1000 and 1650 at some point as I think it works well with long-distance tri training. I wasn't swimming as fast in the weeks prior to the meet and I should have been able to drop at least 15 seconds off my 500 based on my recent swim times. I was surprised how well I did, and mostly think it was luck on who showed up. For Master's meets, I'm actually very slow. I am almost always the best swimmer in the pool and one of the best at whatever gym I swim at. At my current gym, there is only one female faster than me, and that's my swim coach. I can outswim most tri swim times through 70.3 distance. But when you get to a meet - around here at least - only the fastest Master's really go to those in masses. I think it can be intimidating for newer swimmers or those who only swam in high school (like me). But the meets are fun, and the people are, too. Just like tri people. It's good that you found a pool you can swim in. A 40 minute swim wouldn't work for me, either. At least not on a regular basis. BWAQ is so big - it would be nice if they had at least a couple workouts that would fit your schedule. I love having someone my pace to swim with because it helps challenge me, but I usually swim alone, too.

That is really good. Great job!  I'm so jealous of you freaky fast swimmers.  Apparently splashing around in the local pool as a kid does not translate well into triathlon.

2014-04-17 9:14 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Originally posted by Dunn Right So I may or may not have signed up for IM Maryland this afternoon...

OMG.  So how long does it take the average person to finish an IronMan? Is this your first IM. I can not remember.  I say I'd NEVER do one, but I race for 12 hours cross country without even knowing where the heck I am going.  Can't be much different right?  heck I might as well sign up.  The run is optional on those things right?  jk

Seriously though, I can't work the nerve up to even sign up for an olympic distance tri.  Sticking with sprints again this year. :-)

2014-04-18 12:28 AM
in reply to: #4983130

When I saw you post about the 12 hour adventure race, I thought you'd be a HIM or IM participant for sure. There's a 17 hour cutoff for the IM - so what's another 5 hours?
2014-04-18 9:02 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Dunn Right So I may or may not have signed up for IM Maryland this afternoon...

OMG.  So how long does it take the average person to finish an IronMan? Is this your first IM. I can not remember.  I say I'd NEVER do one, but I race for 12 hours cross country without even knowing where the heck I am going.  Can't be much different right?  heck I might as well sign up.  The run is optional on those things right?  jk

Seriously though, I can't work the nerve up to even sign up for an olympic distance tri.  Sticking with sprints again this year. :-)

1.  Congrats AJ.  Big step, BIG STEP

2.  Average person takes probably 13-16 hours for an IM.  AJ has a huge advantage in that the swim won't take a huge toll on him.

3.  Olys aren't that different from sprints.  Pull the trigger and have fun.  

2014-04-18 4:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia

2.  Average person takes probably 13-16 hours for an IM.  AJ has a huge advantage in that the swim won't take a huge toll on him.

3.  Olys aren't that different from sprints.  Pull the trigger and have fun.  ;)

x2

I signed up for my first Oly less than a week before the race. To say I was unprepared would be a huge understatement -- it hurt...a lot. You just gotta do it!!

And thanks guys!! I'm so glad I'm in this group. Your support has been so awesome through this season so far.

Edited by Dunn Right 2014-04-18 4:19 PM
2014-04-18 6:23 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

3.  Olys aren't that different from sprints.  Pull the trigger and have fun.  

Perfect timing, looks like I have an article to read...

Ironman Versus the 12-Hour Adventure Race

http://www.active.com/running/articles/ironman-versus-the-12-hour-adventure-race?page=2&stop_mobi=yes

2014-04-18 8:35 PM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Sounds like you're ready for an Ironman
2014-04-19 5:55 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Side note, where did everyone from our group go??
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23952 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98350 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15815 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29052 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 1, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Sport and religion both celebrate group values and offer excitement. Sport and religion are grounded in disciplined practice, a devotion to a cause, and a belief in the unseen. And both require faith.

date : April 18, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Balancing the triathlete you are with your vision for the triathlete you could be.
date : November 15, 2010
author : marmadaddy
Kelly Williamson, pro triathlete, reviews her Quintana Roo CD0.1 carbon bike.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.