General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help from the run experts...how to adjust training after sickness? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-20 9:27 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Need help from the run experts...how to adjust training after sickness?
Hello all!
I got some nasty cold bug that is hanging on no matter what I throw at it! I can usually kick something in a couple days, but this is day 3 and I still feel pretty junky.
I need some advice where to start my run after I start to feel good again...hopefully in another day or two!

I'm following a modified BarryP running prgm - running 5-6 days/week. For the last 3 weeks, here is where my milage has been - starting on a Monday:

5.5/ 2 / 6.5 / 2 / 0 / 9.5 / 1 Total = 26.5 mi. (Thanksgiving week, so it was a little weird)
5.5 / 2 / 6 / 2 / 10 / 2 / 0 Total - 27.5 mi.
5/ 2.5/ 6.5/ 2/ 4.5/ 7.5 / 0 Total - 28 mi. (this week my schedule was messed up with my long run. )
5.5/ 2.5/ SICK I got really sick Wednesday and haven't been feeling good sense (today is Friday)

Just for reference, I also teach 2 spin classes on Tues and Thurs (4 total) and try to swim 1-2x/week.

I have a Half Marathon on Feb 16th coming up, then a Duathlon in March.

Once I start feeling better, I just don't know where to start back. If I were to start back tomorrow or Sunday with a run, and then continue into next week, where should my numbers be? I was trying to get my milage up to 30/week.

Thanks for any advice. I'm perfectly fine following a plan but when things go off the rails, I don't know what to do.
THank you again!

2013-12-20 9:31 AM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Need help from the run experts...how to adjust training after sickness?

Originally posted by runspingirl

but this is day 3 and I still feel pretty junky.  

Day 3? I'm on Day 9

I'd give it some time and ease back into it. Rest is your friend.
Hope we all feel better, it's no fun.

2013-12-20 9:39 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Need help from the run experts...how to adjust training after sickness?
Same here......Its been like 2 weeks for me. Just doing what I can, some days I feel good, others not so good.
2013-12-20 7:32 PM

User image

I'd start in where you left off but listen to your body. If it says you need an easy day, pay attention.
2013-12-20 10:00 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My general rule of thumb is I that don't run until I feel good just doing everyday things (i.e. getting up in the morning, going to work, housework). Then I start with easy runs of 3-4 miles (for me, this is the shortest I'd normally do in training). I don't go longer until I feel good doing those. Then I work up to normal distance, then add back speedwork slowly if feeling good. I don't know if it's true for others but I'm much more likely to get injured, even silly stuff like twisting ankles and tripping over my own feet, when coming back from an illness, even a minor one. Maybe it weakens the body, or I'm more fatigued and not being careful? So I've learned the hard way not to jump back into it too quickly.
2013-12-23 5:19 PM

User image

I generally don't try and make up runs or any training sessions that I have missed, I just move on to where I would be had I followed the schedule. That said, I am also not a fan of skipping workouts when sick. Of course, if it is the flu or something more serious then skip, but often with something as simple as a cold it feels better to workout than it does to just marinate in your sickness. Ya know? It's like a friend's mom used to say, "You gotta go outside and blow the stink off." I think the same applies to the common cold.

2013-12-23 7:17 PM
in reply to: thegiantess

User image

Seattle

You say that you are following BarryP. Is there any type of quality runs or intensity in there or is it all generally easy running?

In general, I don't believe you lose fitness if you take a break for 7 days or less, so, you can probably just cautiously jump back into your training as planned. 

Be sure to pay close attention to how you are feeling though, and don't push through any pain. 

2013-12-23 8:53 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Scottsdale, AZ
OP here...thanks for all the replies!! Sorry there are others out there dealing with some sort of sickness - ugh - feel better!!!!

Finally started to feel better and went out for a walk/jog yesterday - 3 miles. Felt ok but tired.

Today went out for 4 miles and they were nice and slow, but I did run the whole time and felt pretty good.

Still pretty congested but my energy has returned which was the worst part. I never had a fever or cough, just massive head congestion and ZERO energy. I did what I had to do (pick up kids from school etc) but then had to rest again. Total of 5 days, which is WAY long for me to have something that bad. I can usually kick things in 2 days or so (the bad part) and resume some sort of training, but this time, no way! I was so fatigued that I could barely manage around the house. Plus I'm hearing from doctor/ER friends that there was a bad cold going around that turned into bronchitis quickly...so I wasn't about to test it!
I have to teach 2 spin classes tomorrow and will take it easy. I won't get back in the pool until my head is clear...just can't swim when I'm congested!

Following the BarryP plan (loosely) yes, but no real intensity, just building miles. I need to work in some hill training next week if I'm back to 100% since the HM I'm doing in Feb is a rolling course.

Feel better everyone and thanks again! Merry Christmas!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help from the run experts...how to adjust training after sickness? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

need to adjust rear derailleur...help

Started by michael_runs
Views: 910 Posts: 13

2012-02-29 12:10 PM brigby1

help needed: experts only !!!!

Started by strojny06
Views: 1669 Posts: 14

2011-05-04 12:07 PM offrhodes

TI Experts - Help Needed

Started by TXTriNewbie
Views: 1202 Posts: 8

2011-02-18 4:03 PM FELTGood

Running Shoe Experts, need help on Saucony shoes (Kinvara)

Started by AndrewMT
Views: 5935 Posts: 24

2010-11-17 10:30 AM AndrewMT

I need help Overcoming Swimming Sickness.

Started by adamwt
Views: 1293 Posts: 12

2005-05-05 1:03 PM TerryW
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 27, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
It's a lot easier to be really fit and fast than really healthy and happy.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : January 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : February 13, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.