General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-03-28 10:13 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Good stuff Donna, keep it up! Had a good bootcamp workout last night and start my new 12 week tri program on Sunday along with my weight loss challenge I started with my friends. 5K next weekend so will be good to get back in the swing or my tri program, been soooo lost with out a solid plan! Taking a little trip to upstate NY this weekend to go to lake lodge up there, looking forward to a little RR before hammering back into the 6 day a week workout schedule. Have a great weekend everyone and keep pushing!

2014-03-28 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
My swim this morning was a bust... 300yds and I just could not get my wind or get into the groove... For some reason my mind keeps running in circles with this dang leg pain.

Sat down and thought about it. Thankfully I couldn't withdraw from the Tri, otherwise I would have this morning. After much deliberation we've come to the conclusion that I am old and fat... Essentially, I've stacked too much training on my plate and not allowing enough recovery time. So the plan for this weekend is Rest, Rest and then Rest some more. Also, I'm going to rework my training schedule, and cut it by about a third. Instead of having 2 optional rest days, I want 2 mandatory rest days. Finally, I'm cutting my planned races a bit. I was originally doing a 5K on May 3, Sprint on May 17, and Tour de Cure 62 miles (bike) on May 31. I'm going to nix the 5K and roll back my c25k to coincide with the sprint. The sprint stays as is because this was always my primary goal: Start and Finish a Tri. The bike will be cut back to the 40 mile loop.

After May the plan is to buckle down and get my base fitness back in check. This means more stretching, tweaking the diet some more, and coming up with a training schedule that will allow me to improve without burying me in the process. I do have my eye on a second sprint in Oct up in Arkadelphia. I also have some unfinished business with the Starry 4K (I'd like to run the whole thing), but that's not until the end of Dec.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-03-28 12:03 PM
2014-03-28 2:58 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak My swim this morning was a bust... 300yds and I just could not get my wind or get into the groove... For some reason my mind keeps running in circles with this dang leg pain. Sat down and thought about it. Thankfully I couldn't withdraw from the Tri, otherwise I would have this morning. After much deliberation we've come to the conclusion that I am old and fat... Essentially, I've stacked too much training on my plate and not allowing enough recovery time. So the plan for this weekend is Rest, Rest and then Rest some more. Also, I'm going to rework my training schedule, and cut it by about a third. Instead of having 2 optional rest days, I want 2 mandatory rest days. Finally, I'm cutting my planned races a bit. I was originally doing a 5K on May 3, Sprint on May 17, and Tour de Cure 62 miles (bike) on May 31. I'm going to nix the 5K and roll back my c25k to coincide with the sprint. The sprint stays as is because this was always my primary goal: Start and Finish a Tri. The bike will be cut back to the 40 mile loop. After May the plan is to buckle down and get my base fitness back in check. This means more stretching, tweaking the diet some more, and coming up with a training schedule that will allow me to improve without burying me in the process. I do have my eye on a second sprint in Oct up in Arkadelphia. I also have some unfinished business with the Starry 4K (I'd like to run the whole thing), but that's not until the end of Dec.

This sounds like you put a lot of good thought into where you want to get and how to get there!

2014-03-28 8:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by WebFootFreak

• So the plan for this weekend is Rest, Rest and then Rest some more.

• You will really find yourself refreshed on Monday!
    I was worn down a few weeks ago. I took two days off (back to back), and felt like a new person when I came back to it after those days off!

Good luck and great job resetting your goals. if you didn't you were sure to hurt yourself and you would have trouble making any goals!

• for me,
    4 mile run today.
    tomorrow approx. 10 mile bike.
    Then Tri Mania Boston - then an hour in the pool in the afternoon.

Sunday - planning on a brick - hopefully I will have better calf results with all the changes I have been making.

Edited by Clarkey77 2014-03-28 8:13 PM
    2014-03-28 9:30 PM
    in reply to: #4916495

User image

Yes.. I have definitely reinjured my legs. Right now its tennis ball massage, ice and ibuprofin.
    2014-03-29 2:25 PM

User image

I am really sorry you are hurting webfoot. I hope the rest brings fast recovery to you...

I had a very humbling experience on the trail run today. It was very, very hard! for me! 2 miles with 1500 elevation game (and I had to do it twice). I ended up walking quite a bit and am very, very sore. But it was a great experience. Very small and everyone, especially all the really fast racers who were lapping me were encouraging. They even bbq'd hamburgers at the end. I would like to try it again and prepare better.

Go get em diablo on starting your training!

Any other racers this weekend?

Donna

2014-03-29 5:54 PM
    in reply to: luvschips

User image

Yardville, NJ
    Well, 20 weeks ago I start a half marathon training program. Goal = The Love Run Philly 13.1. That race is tomorrow. I've trained hard, I've run close to 12 miles in a single run. I'm pretty damn sure that I will finish tomorrow, but I know for certain that I will start.

This week has been tough for me mentally. It was a scheduled taper week, so it only included a few short runs. I also increased my caloric intake to have a solid fuel and hydration base for the race. Mentally the challenge has been the battle with feeling slow and fat, since I was eating more than normal and working out less. But I know that's all necessary to cross the finish line.

Weather forecast is chilly and light rain. Not what I want, but last time I checked, we can't control the weather. At least it's not snow!

Race report to follow tomorrow night! Enjoy the rest of the weekend! Keep up all the hard work and the inspiration! Together, we will all cross our finish lines!
    2014-03-30 12:00 AM
    in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Good luck on your races and great job putting in good work!

Chips, I totally failed on a trail race this summer and felt aweful!
    Pick yourself back up, it wasn't your failure it was your training. modify your training to accomplish it!

as for me
    WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!!!
    10 mile bike in the AM on the stationary - approx. I hit reset in the middle of the ride by accidend, so I think I did 11 - 12 miles.
    t
    hen I went to Tri Mania Boston!
    WOW it was AWESOME!
    meeting a Olympian, the Original Iron Man! and Terry Laughlin!
    Wowza.
    I found some training teams to train with this summer - many very very friendly.
    a couple seemed not too keen on brining in unexperienced people.

After Tri Mania I hit the pool for 1200.
    Felt really good for the first half to 3/4. Fizzled out and just went through the motions after that.
    then I went to a play in the evening.
    Yeah its 1am and I had a GREAT day!
    off to bed!
    2014-03-30 11:13 AM
    in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Wow WHAT A WEEKEND!
    I know some of this is repetitive, but needed to put it all together.

Friday - a nice long run, for me - 4 miles
    Saturday AM - easy 10 mile bike
    Saturday AM/Day - Trimania Boston where I had a GREAT time and got energized.
    Saturday PM (4) - 45 min in the pool

Sunday AM!!!
    INDOOR BRICK!!!!
    9 mile Bike
    2.75 mile Run
    half hour each.

Goal was 8 mile bike 2 mile run, I feel I beat that nicely and I could have kept going on the run.
    I actually stopped at half hour because I beat the plan and didn't want to overdue it!
    Wanted to go at least a half hour in each! Feeling good!
    and NO CALF PROBLEMS.

Funny story about the brick - it was indoors.
    I went from the bike to the treadmill.
    wiped down the bike, forgot to drink.
    ran about 2 min realized I needed a drink.
    Slowed the treadmill down, drank a half bottle of water.
    sped the treadmill back up.
    Yeah, legs were still a little tight.
    all of a sudden I ran into the forward station and almost fell over.
    didn't realize it until I caught my balance that my legs had loosened up and I took off like a rocket (for me) and ran into the station.
    No injury at all just a little bonk!

I hope everyone had a great weekend as well.
    2014-03-30 5:17 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
    Mike's race report:
    Philadelphia Love Run 13.1

First the weekend started with us driving to Philly (about 45 minutes) to volunteer at the packet pick up. The whole family went down, as well as 6 others from Ryan's Quest. We volunteered from 8am to 1pm and we handed out finisher coffee mugs that they were giving to every runner (more on the mug later). Had a scare at the end of volunteering, when someone had walked off with my friends bag. He had his keys, wallet, race packet, money, everything in it. Luckily after the race directors called the other volunteer groups we were able to contact the person that had inadvertently picked it up and the bag was returned. We were tired and a little worn out after standing on the cold concrete floor for 5 hrs, plus lots of walking. Ended the day with a quiet, relaxing night at home.

I got a good sleep last night. Probably slept from about 9:30 until 5 and only woke up once for a bit.

I was up at 5 (alarms set for the family at 5:30). Made myself a cup of coffee and was so rested and relaxed, I felt great. I was really excited for this race. I've had race jitters since Thursday, but when I woke up this morning they were completely gone! Weather forecast was for 45 and rain. It was spot on. It was probably about 50 at the start and a light drizzle. I dressed in shorts with running pants, tech T, long sleeve race team shirt. I threw on a hoodie for the morning, but wasn't planning on racing in it. Then I put on my running rain jacket. I was still cold at the start so I decided to stay in my hoodie.

The race started at 8am. I was corralled right in front of the 12 min/mile pacer. That was my goal, 1. Finish, 2. Get in somewhere around 12 min/mile. I was so excited, I could feel my smile from ear to ear. I started out and knew I did not want to go too fast too early. So I stayed right in the 11:30 to 12 pace. It started raining harder as the race progressed and was outright hard at times. I had such a good race! I ran the entire thing. The only slow spots were the aid stations to get some water or Gatorade. I kept on pace the entire time. I just kept thinking how much fun this was. The volunteers were great! The spectators were great! I took time to notice and read signs. (Sign of the day... "Run faster, Paul just farted"). I saw my buddy Kelly as I was passing mile 8 and he was coming back at mile 10. Even got a high 5 from him. I did take my hoodie off at mile 4, threw it to the side and then 20 seconds later it saw my son. He went and got my hoodie. I was soaked from head to toe, my jacket saturated, my pants weighed a ton, but I kept smiling.

Special shout out to my cheering section! Randi, Mitchell and Danny were all there. They cheered me on at the start, mile 4 and then right before the finish! I could not have done this without their support, both today and for the last 20 weeks of training! My family is the greatest!

At the finish line they gave us finisher medals (very cool!), then they were handing out Mylar heat sheets. It was so cold and that helped keep me warm. The food wasn't the greatest but we already had plans to hit Chinatown after anyway. They also had hot chocolate, which was very welcome!

Oh, I had so much fun talking about the race I forgot times...my half split was 1:18:47, 12:02 per mile. My finish time was 2:38:19, 12:05 per mile.

After the race we all changed out of our wet clothes, we met Kelly and his wife in Chinatown for great dim sum. Then home for a quiet afternoon in jammies and watching a movie.

Oh, that finishers mug... Yes, that got put on my race shelf, but there was no way I was going to jinx things and out it up there before I finished. So the mug is on the shelf, the race bib is on the hooks, and my latest race bling is hanging under the shelf!

Such a great first half marathon. I didn't let anything bother me. I just went for a great 13.1 mile run with 10,000 of my closest friends.

If the rest of the year lives up to this race, it's going to be great!

Thanks again to Randi for putting up with the rain, the cold, the whining boys, the logistics... You're the best!
    2014-03-31 6:37 AM

User image

Master
    Southwest Iowa

It was a work, art, work, music weekend with absolutely no workouts involved.  Started this morning with a treadmill and off to work.  I hope for a good day at work, so I can possibly get outside and workout.

2014-03-31 6:38 AM

User image

Master
    Southwest Iowa

It was a work, art, work, music weekend with absolutely no workouts involved.  Started this morning with a treadmill and off to work.  I hope for a good day at work, so I can possibly get outside and workout.

2014-03-31 7:30 AM

User image

CONGRATULATIONS Mike! Great job on your half! And thank you for your volunteering and giving of your time...

And glad you had a great weekend Clarky!

Just got back from 1500m swim and got a bike ride in an hour with a "not so fun" friend. She likes to be the biggest self proclaimed "bad " (I hate that term) and bike riding is her thing. Anyway, I made it pretty clear I don't want to do killer elevation gains today since I am still sore from my trail run Saturday. But her easy is my super hard, lol. This girl just wants to have fun...

Have a fantastic Monday!

Two weeks to my tri - NERVOUS about the swim..

Donna

2014-03-31 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Excellent race, Mike. That is the way to do it. Smiling the whole time!

2014-03-31 8:10 AM

User image

Good job on the race, Mike. Also awesome that you were able to volunteer!

------------------------------------------------------------

Took this weekend as a total rest/get my mind back in the groove period. Through massage, ice and the occasional ibuprofen, I've got my legs back to some semblance of normalcy. I skipped both my bike and run yesterday. Went to the pool at another Y this morning with my mentor to work on my water skills (or lack thereof). He agrees that I flail around too much and I need to work on form (which I suspected), and that I also need to add breast stroke to my stroke arsenal. REALLY need to work on that one... kept trying to drown myself...

Overall, I'm still hungry and I want to KILL this tri in under 2 hours.
    6 weeks, 5days...

Rick
    2014-03-31 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    Mike great race, and great race report Raining races are such a pain but not too bad when you are doing a run.

This weekend I did a big walk. I walked to race expo about 3.5 miles away and then I walked back. I was tired but felt good. Sunday and even today my shins are killing me and yesterday I could barely walk.

I want to train through it but I am also worried now because I am suppose to do a lot of walking this weekend when I visit my sister in St Louis. My goal between next weekend and June is to do 6 miles a week for a long run.

I also got to talk to people at ITU Chicago. Sounds like swim will not be too bad. The bike course might be a little harder than what I am used too but the good news is no turn around. 6 mile close course loop. I hope I can find the bike course somewhere so I can bring it into the computrainer.

2014-03-31 6:53 PM
    in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Thanks Chips - had a great time!
    Great job on the swim - I find it difficult to keep track of laps, do you have a system?

today another great workout.
    7 mile bike
    3.5 mile run back to back!
    2014-04-01 8:02 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
    AWESOME STUFF Mike!!!!

Had a great weekend in the Adirondacks although eating well was out the door, but back on track now! Kicked off my weight loss challenge with my friends and got everyone signed up and weighed in by Sunday, so that was exciting! Started my 12 week training program last night with weight training and felt good and am excited to be back on a spelled out schedule. Local 5K coming up this weekend in the town where I live, should be a good race, but we live in a VERY hilly town.... ughhhh.

Great work by all, keep it up!
    2014-04-01 8:40 AM
    in reply to: diablo243

User image

Master
    Southwest Iowa

I did treadmill in the morning yesterday and then a 40 minute trainer ride.  There was no way I was taking my bike outside yesterday in the winds we had.  My Yukon got pushed all over the road, I sure wasn't going to be doing the same thing on a bike.

Treadmill this morning, and hoping for an hour or more trainer ride tonight after a very long day at work.

2014-04-02 7:12 AM

User image

Master
    Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by flip18436572

I did treadmill in the morning yesterday and then a 40 minute trainer ride.  There was no way I was taking my bike outside yesterday in the winds we had.  My Yukon got pushed all over the road, I sure wasn't going to be doing the same thing on a bike.

Treadmill this morning, and hoping for an hour or more trainer ride tonight after a very long day at work.

Nothing happened for exercise.  I went to help a fellow musician setup and run sound for a guy who was performing in the area.  Got home just in time to go to bed.  Got started late this morning, so I did not get anything done on the treadmill this morning.

2014-04-02 7:36 AM

User image

Me too flip...just couldn't drag my body out of bed. Hoping to get motivated and do a run tonight. I have a hard time working out after work. I just want to put my feet up...

Diablo - glad you had a great weekend and you will do great on your 5k! Hills and all...

Have a good day everyone!

Donna

2014-04-02 7:41 AM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by luvschips Me too flip...just couldn't drag my body out of bed. Hoping to get motivated and do a run tonight. I have a hard time working out after work. I just want to put my feet up... Diablo - glad you had a great weekend and you will do great on your 5k! Hills and all... Have a good day everyone! Donna

If I don't get  my workout in at lunch at work.. at the latest, I is more than likely not going to get done.

Yesterday afternoon I took off work to work in the yard. It was fabulous weather and, outside of being really behind at yardwork due to my foot injury, we had a giant tree fall during the gale force winds over the weekend. We also had three other trees be uprooted but are hanging in other trees. We have to get a professional to get those down. I woke up this morning with my arms barely able to move. Yardwork uses muscles that are not used any other time

2014-04-02 8:19 AM

User image

Switched C25K programs last night. Went from a distance/strength based system to the classic time/interval based system. I went back all the way to week 2/8 because that will have me ending on the day I run the sprint. Had a bit of discomfort, but immediately stretched, iced and massaged... Have a lovely dull ache this morning, but I stretched again and brought my tennis ball to work with me. Today is the first week where I have mandatory rest days and I'm going to take them.
    2014-04-02 6:02 PM

User image

My diet is sharp! Feeling very motivated after trimania this weekend.

Today 12.5 Mi Bike
    Jumped off - stretched my calves.
    Then ran for 5 minutes.

for the few bikes I have left before my race, I am going to run right off the bike to get used to the transition.
    2014-04-03 6:25 AM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by Clarkey77 My diet is sharp! Feeling very motivated after trimania this weekend. Today 12.5 Mi Bike Jumped off - stretched my calves. Then ran for 5 minutes. for the few bikes I have left before my race, I am going to run right off the bike to get used to the transition.

That is some of the best training. I wish I had done that more for my first tri.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
    Views: 27044 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
    Views: 98344 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 15812 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 29042 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 26, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 1
    Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
    date : March 21, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 2
    Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
    author : JeremyLikness
    comments : 9
    Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
    date : September 19, 2004
    author : Michael
    I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
    author : Ron
    What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?