General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-04-13 2:21 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Originally posted by Clarkey77

Welcome Jeff!

I finished my Ron Jon Coco Beach Sprint Tri!

Ironically I finished in the same time as I woke up this AM!
1:35 - I feel great!

1 swim - AWEful AWEful AWEful!

I started back in the first timers group - for me it was my first Ows! Problem was after letting everyone go - I caught up and didn't know what to do! And then I had a panick attack - a real one! So I back stroked half of the return leg around the buoy!

Came out of the water and said I am never doing this again!

Transitioned to the bike very smoothly and calmed myself down! Then hammered the bike!
I rented a Fuji 2.3 an it was blazing fast! I passed a ton of folks and was passes by two girls and then quickly overtook them again.

Transitioned to the run very smoothly - started off into the run and forgot to stretch my calfs! Cramps - found a tree and stretched them out! Finished the entire run at a good pace - watch said about 10:30 miles. Ran the entire thing and kicked across the finish line.

Will I do another one - hell yeah!
Just need to work on my Ows!

Thanks for all the help and tips!

Excellent! In 4 weeks and change, I'm going to make your time look really good, hehehehe...
and you know... I have to say it...

Originally posted by WebFootFreak
YOU GOT THIS.

TOLDJA SO!

2014-04-13 2:26 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

OMG!!! The same thing happened to me Clarkey!

50 yards into the swim I had a huge panic attack! The boat picked me up and i sat on it crying. Then I said I was going to go back in AND THEY WOULDN"T LET ME!! The life guard got very angry and said he couldn't just watch me the whole time. I BROKE DOWN AND STARTED SOBBING UNCONTROLLABLY! Someone said that if I jumped off he couldn't stop me so I just jumped off and started swimming for my life! AND I FINISHED THE SWIM! Dead last but I was sooooooooo filled with joy! I learned that just to hang onto one of the surf board people if I need a quick moment to regroup. Don't get on boat unless I am done for good!

Everything else was tiring but I felt like a million bucks getting through that swim!

What a fantastic experience! Everyone was so encouraging! The really fast people who lapped me gave me all sorts of encouragement. And all of us at the back of the pack were cheering each other on :-)

Signing up for another in May - I am so gonna beat this thing!

Thank you again everyone for all your help the last few months! Congrats Clarkey and welcome Jeff.

Donna
2014-04-14 6:35 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by luvschips OMG!!! The same thing happened to me Clarkey! 50 yards into the swim I had a huge panic attack! The boat picked me up and i sat on it crying. Then I said I was going to go back in AND THEY WOULDN"T LET ME!! The life guard got very angry and said he couldn't just watch me the whole time. I BROKE DOWN AND STARTED SOBBING UNCONTROLLABLY! Someone said that if I jumped off he couldn't stop me so I just jumped off and started swimming for my life! AND I FINISHED THE SWIM! Dead last but I was sooooooooo filled with joy! I learned that just to hang onto one of the surf board people if I need a quick moment to regroup. Don't get on boat unless I am done for good! Everything else was tiring but I felt like a million bucks getting through that swim! What a fantastic experience! Everyone was so encouraging! The really fast people who lapped me gave me all sorts of encouragement. And all of us at the back of the pack were cheering each other on :-) Signing up for another in May - I am so gonna beat this thing! Thank you again everyone for all your help the last few months! Congrats Clarkey and welcome Jeff. Donna

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW, Way to power on! I am sure that I would have tossed in the towel. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-04-14 7:44 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Wow Clarky way to hang in there. See your a faster swimmer than you thought. hanging back method works very well when your not fast.

My only OWS experience has been in races but I gotten very used to it. If you feel like you hit a wall of swimmers and can not easy get around relax and try to tickle the feet in front. remember when you follow someone you can move easier than faster than you would have alone. Better off saving the energy and hammer then bike and run rather than trying to get out of the water a min or 2 faster. Just keep in mind if that are that slow then holes around them should open up and I would take it.
2014-04-14 8:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hey! luvschips!

YOU GOT THIS.

TOLDJA SO!

hehehehehehe!

Okay, now that the fun part is over, I want to give you some serious kudos for jumping back in. It's people like you and Clarky that are helping to keep me calm for my first sprint. It'll probably be my first OWS too...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Went to the Nasty Y this morning. My Y was supposed to open back up last Friday, but the pool heater went out... I told them, " I don't care how warm the water is!"... they laughed at me... (hehehe). Well, This morning, I went 50, 100, 150, 150... I was shooting for another 150, and I started hearing my heartbeat in my ears. That's what sent me to the Dr to find out about my HBP. So I did 50, 50. I then did kick drills for 50x2. Once my heart rate dropped a bit, I did a final all-out 50 in :50 (by the clock timer). It's been 2 week since my Dr renewed my Rx, and Express Scripts hasn't sent anything... going to call today and start chewing...

Rick

4 weeks, 5 days

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-04-14 8:09 AM
2014-04-14 10:19 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well I am officially signed up for the Chicago Marathon this year.

Decided I better start hitting the weights again. My strength is so not there and might be one of the reasons I been struggling. Good news is I been sleeping more lately so I am not as hungry as I was. Down side I was really hoping to start swimming again this morning but I slept for 9 hours instead. oh well there is always tomorrow. ITU Chicago will be here before I know it and I know I have to kick it up a notch.

2014-04-14 12:12 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

New user
Hey everyone, its been a while since I last checked in. So, hello there!

Life has been ca-razy!! Going back to school and training for a tri, while being a single mom and working full time means that my house is no longer fit for guests most days LOL but somehow I'm able to fit all the important stuff in (well.. maybe could do better on the sleep).

I have 3 weeks til my first race.. a HM. I was supposed to be running with a group but somehow 3 weeks out I'm the only one left standing.. oh well, its easier to pace the run on my own anyway, so no hard feelings there.

The tri-training is going well. Long rides are up to 2.5 hours now, and with the weather getting nicer I'm ready to get off the trainer and take them outside.. FINALLY!! I have been working on drills in the pool, so I'm watching my 100m times drop substantially. My local Y offers Swim Fit classes and the instructor has tailored some of the drills to a few of us triathletes who show up. Very helpful! Running is just running... but I hit 6 miles for the first time last week, so I definitely feel like I'm getting there! I'm working really hard to stave off any sort of injury this year, and with 7 weeks out from my first Oly, I feel like I'm in a pretty good position right now. Crossing fingers that continues to hold true.

Weight loss since my last check in... 0.. I wanted to lose about 20 more lbs before the season started in earnest, but the longer training sessions in addition to weightlifting just makes me feel so darn hungry all the time. I try to make better choices in what I eat (whole grains, no added sugars, etc) but have pretty much decided to wait til the off season to lose weight in earnest.

So that's where I stand. Good luck to everyone and happy training :-)
2014-04-14 1:45 PM
in reply to: CincyMom

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by CincyMom Hey everyone, its been a while since I last checked in. So, hello there! Life has been ca-razy!! Going back to school and training for a tri, while being a single mom and working full time means that my house is no longer fit for guests most days LOL but somehow I'm able to fit all the important stuff in (well.. maybe could do better on the sleep). I have 3 weeks til my first race.. a HM. I was supposed to be running with a group but somehow 3 weeks out I'm the only one left standing.. oh well, its easier to pace the run on my own anyway, so no hard feelings there. The tri-training is going well. Long rides are up to 2.5 hours now, and with the weather getting nicer I'm ready to get off the trainer and take them outside.. FINALLY!! I have been working on drills in the pool, so I'm watching my 100m times drop substantially. My local Y offers Swim Fit classes and the instructor has tailored some of the drills to a few of us triathletes who show up. Very helpful! Running is just running... but I hit 6 miles for the first time last week, so I definitely feel like I'm getting there! I'm working really hard to stave off any sort of injury this year, and with 7 weeks out from my first Oly, I feel like I'm in a pretty good position right now. Crossing fingers that continues to hold true. Weight loss since my last check in... 0.. I wanted to lose about 20 more lbs before the season started in earnest, but the longer training sessions in addition to weightlifting just makes me feel so darn hungry all the time. I try to make better choices in what I eat (whole grains, no added sugars, etc) but have pretty much decided to wait til the off season to lose weight in earnest. So that's where I stand. Good luck to everyone and happy training :-)

Great job on the training and keep up the good work.  Good luck on the half mary!!!

2014-04-15 7:32 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Absolutely no work done for fitness.  It was a long work day, and then had my second job (art) that I had to get done, and now a wonderful flu bug.  I will at a minimum walk on the treadmill at home for an hour tonight.  Was hoping to start my couch to 13.1 training, but every joint in my body hurts right now

2014-04-15 9:03 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

Well I am officially signed up for the Chicago Marathon this year.

Decided I better start hitting the weights again. My strength is so not there and might be one of the reasons I been struggling. Good news is I been sleeping more lately so I am not as hungry as I was. Down side I was really hoping to start swimming again this morning but I slept for 9 hours instead. oh well there is always tomorrow. ITU Chicago will be here before I know it and I know I have to kick it up a notch.

I did Chicago and loved it! That was my favorite one so far (not my best performance tho). I loved how people lined the whole race and the whole "vibe". Wish I was going...

I need to do some weights too but just can't muster of the time with everything else so GOOD FOR YOU :-)
2014-04-15 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Yeah the vibe is what brings me back and the fact I do not ever feel alone. I done several other marathons where you will see no one behind you and no one in front of you for miles. One I think I did the last 12 miles completely alone. No fans, no one at aid stations (but glad they left the supplies), no other runners. It was basicly out and back and when I came back there was no one. Its kinda of a weird feeling.

Chicago is just fun though I do have my official PR there. Getting in was easy since I completed it 6 times in the last 10 years. worse part though it in the last 5 I just did it once. I hope to break that this year. Sad thing is I think I am starting in worse shape than I was back than I did for my first one. Oh well you can not go "I used too" and you just have to go ok here I am where do I need to go. THough wondering if this is going to be my last Chicago. Its getting pricey ($185) and way my health been the last few years having to sign up so early has not worked out for me.

Muscles are sore but the scale is down so right now that needs to be one of my biggest focuses. I need to make the big push. I think today will be my normally lunch run and biking after work. I got up in time for swimming but with a bad wound I have thought best to stay out of the pool.

Edited by chirunner134 2014-04-15 9:13 AM

2014-04-15 6:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

Yeah the vibe is what brings me back and the fact I do not ever feel alone. I done several other marathons where you will see no one behind you and no one in front of you for miles. One I think I did the last 12 miles completely alone. No fans, no one at aid stations (but glad they left the supplies), no other runners. It was basicly out and back and when I came back there was no one. Its kinda of a weird feeling.

Chicago is just fun though I do have my official PR there. Getting in was easy since I completed it 6 times in the last 10 years. worse part though it in the last 5 I just did it once. I hope to break that this year. Sad thing is I think I am starting in worse shape than I was back than I did for my first one. Oh well you can not go "I used too" and you just have to go ok here I am where do I need to go. THough wondering if this is going to be my last Chicago. Its getting pricey ($185) and way my health been the last few years having to sign up so early has not worked out for me.

Muscles are sore but the scale is down so right now that needs to be one of my biggest focuses. I need to make the big push. I think today will be my normally lunch run and biking after work. I got up in time for swimming but with a bad wound I have thought best to stay out of the pool.

Hey Chi - gotta a training q for u!

What schedule do you follow when you want to train for a marathon and a tri? I am using Hal Higdons 3 marathon schedule and throwing in 2 days of swim and 1 bike. But I haven't done this before and am curious what you do.

AND I KNOW YOU WILL DO THIS! And I agree with the price. I wanted to NY but it was over 200 so decided to do Eugene (only 90).

I appreciate your input!
Donna
2014-04-16 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

If you can do the NYC marathon.  DO IT!!!  I went as a spectator and holy schmooollllyy was it an amazing event.  There were people on the entire route cheering every runner on.  We did a couple of different places to cheer on a family member and found out a local runner was there also and got to see them both.  It was awesome to just be a spectator.  I talked to both of them after the event and they both said it was the best crowd for a race they have ever been to.  Music and people and on and on!!!!

I hope that starting back into this, that I can work may way to the NYC marathon.

2014-04-16 2:03 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Depends. If it your first I would definitely make sure you do your weekly long runs. You need to build some mental toughness. Marathon is still harder than an OLY triathlon and you do not have different sports to break it up. I have found that seems more like weekly volume is more important than the run. I have made great progress in the past with only running 5 miles for my long run. Of course that was 8 for the day (2 sessions) and probably 35 for the week with about 50 miles biking for the week and swimming 3 miles. (Ok I had ironman dreams at that time.)

I also look at Oly distance race as 16 mile long run. . kinda look at running miles as 1 running mile or 4 biking miles. If your suppose to run midweek 4 miles it would be ok to ride 16 miles in my book. Also kinda follow Hal Hidegons novice plan. I try to do the 3 days a week for swim big and run. So 1 run get turned into a bike. bike for cross training and one rest day being biking also. Swimming I try to fit in as bonus. I am flexible too so if my legs hurt I might swim more.

I hope this helps out some.
2014-04-16 2:05 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I would LOVE to do The New York City Marathon. Once I get my weight down I will go back into the lottery. I could have gotten in once as a 3x loser but I did not have a job that year. Also I have family in London so I might try for London. Until I can run a 5:30 again I going to stay away. I hate to get all excited and miss out. Had that couple times before already.
2014-04-16 7:07 PM

User image

We should all try and get in the lottery for the NYC marathon next year!

This is my 6th marathon. I usually follow Hal Higdon Novice Supreme but couldn't handle running 4 days, swimiming and biking. I was WAY too tired! So I switched to his 3 day program. I have been running around 25 to 30 miles per week, swimming 3000 to 4000 yrds, bike one day for 20 or 25 miles (I hate biking). Things are really starting to turn up for my marathon training - I have 15 miles on Saturday This is the not fun part of training...

Hope everyone is having a great day!!

Donna

2014-04-16 8:29 PM

User image

Im not sure I can ever do a marathon, maybe a little too much pounding on my back.

If I do one, I will try and do Boston!

For me today
some medium weights - Chest & Tri
Not a lot of sets, high reps.

Then 3.1 miles
Warmup
  • 75 Mi at 11 min mi
  • 75 mi at 10 min
  • 1 at 9 min
  • 5 @ 8.5 min
  • 15~ at 8 min mi

• give or take.
    2014-04-17 7:40 AM

User image

Been going back and forth with the Dr about my Rx... My Diabetes med is waiting for me to pick up, but for some reason my HPB med is not... I skipped my run Tues evening because of headaches and hearing my heartbeat in my ears, plus general weakness and short of breath... Pretty much all the symptoms I had when I first went and found out I had an issue. With yesterday being a rest day, I went ahead and did my scheduled run this morning with the intention of slowing down or even walking if there were any probs. Thankfully, I made my run (2.6mi in 34:25) with no issues. I think I may just get to my goal to do the run portion in less than 37:20 (12:00 mile avg).

Okay, back on the phone today to yell at the Dr's office some more and a group ride tonight!

Also, Fogleman Y's pool is BACK OPEN!!!! No more hour-long drives to get to a decent pool!

4 weeks, 2 days!!
    (and starting to get nervous, lol!)
    2014-04-17 11:02 PM
    in reply to: #4916495

User image

Group ride Tonight. As I was getting ready to leave, I noted that my road bike had a flat. Of course, I had no spare tubes or time to change it, so.... a quick seat-swap later and I'm showing up on the Iron Maiden. My 40# mountain bike... yeah... oh, did I mention it has no front derailleur?

We did 13.5 mi @15mph and I am WIPED OUT!
    2014-04-18 9:22 AM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois

Group ride Tonight. As I was getting ready to leave, I noted that my road bike had a flat. Of course, I had no spare tubes or time to change it, so.... a quick seat-swap later and I'm showing up on the Iron Maiden. My 40# mountain bike... yeah... oh, did I mention it has no front derailleur?

We did 13.5 mi @15mph and I am WIPED OUT!

Why my quote is train hard race easy. Harder you train the easier race day is (in theory ).
    2014-04-18 6:32 PM

User image

I feel like a post ... last 3 of 4 posts are mine... lol!

Had an AWESOME day at the pool. I stuck with the Pyramid training scheme and went 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 200, 150, 100, and ended with a 50yd sprint (:43). I also did 50x2 on kick drills.

But the best part is that I was finally able to push past 150!!! I can now go at least halfway. Next week I hope to push further (farther?). Also, our Tue/Wed sitter (my mom) has graciously agreed to show up early on 4-30, 5-7 and 5-14 so I can get an extra pool day for the 3 weeks before my sprint... Although, I will probably not swim on 5-16 since the race is the next day... also... thinking of combining my last 3 Sunday training sessions (bike in AM, run in PM) into brick sessions

4 weeks, 1 day

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-04-18 6:39 PM

2014-04-19 2:26 PM

User image

I had the option of checking out a new triathlon group I am thinking about joining for a 4 or 8 mile run this AM.
    Or
    Doing a Boot camp workout w\ my sister and her group.
    I had a hard time deciding.

So hard that I did neither - (they are both about 45 min away).....

se la vie.

So I will get a workout in this afternoon after the sox game.

2014-04-20 5:30 PM
    in reply to: #4916495

User image

Solid run this afternoon, but!

For me today - I ran my old c25K training route w my GPS on!
    Turns out it is only 2.25 miles!
    No wonder I wasn't ready or prepped for my first 5ks I thought it was 3 miles!
    Wow!
    But the good news is I averaged 9:15 a mile over the 2.25 - faster than my fastest so far!
    2014-04-20 10:53 PM

User image

Today was about "something better than nothing"

1. It was a holiday - spent it without my kids but with my folks. So it was a good day :-)

2. Went to the lake and swam really, really bad/slow. A nice family on the beach started clapping and cheering me when I stopped for the 10th time. Something was better than nothing (what a hoot!).

3. Did a quick bike ride after swim - felt really good that I wanted to stop after the horrible swim - so doing something was much better than doing nothing.

Feeling good that I did something - rather than nothing!

D

PS - Clarkey - I enjoy your posts...
    2014-04-21 8:59 AM

User image

This is the first time in a while that I'm actually on deck with my training... I haven't missed anything yet... Of course, it's pretty bad that I'm happy about that on the second day of the week.... *shame*....

I went into work early yesterday so that I could 1) Knock out the boatload of Nissan/Infiniti Recalls we have on the lot, and 2) Get home early to spend Easter with my kids and family. So I didn't bike yesterday before work. After all the Easter festivites were over, and the kids were playing outside, I managed to make myself scarce, grab the bike and take off on my basic training route. Went 13.3mi in 50:41 (15.9 avg) which rocks because I want to be at 16+mph avg for the sprint. After the youngest 3 kiddos were in bed, I took off again on foot. Still using a C25K trainer, I went 2.5 in 35:05 which is 13:49, but that includes 5 minute warm-up and cool down, run/walk intervals, and a bit more time to get back to the house when I was done... I've found a good pace, and my best mile last night was 12:07, So I'm doing pretty good getting to my 5K goal of 37:20.

Hit the pool this morning. Thanks to my awesome wife, I'm getting more time at the pool on Mondays bacause she's getting the kids up and off to school. This is so awesome because she works Monday nights, and getting up at 6am deprives her of sleep. I went 50, 100, 150, 200, 250.... 450!!!!! That's right, I hit my quarter mile goal this morning. I was going for 300, felt good and thought "It's only another 3 laps..." I followed that with my usual 50 x2 kick drills and called it a morning because I was out of time.

Tonight I WILL do my strength training, and I WILL do 100% training this week!

3 weeks, 5 days

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-04-21 9:01 AM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
    Views: 27029 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
    Views: 98325 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 15796 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 29028 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 26, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 1
    Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
    date : March 21, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 2
    Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
    author : JeremyLikness
    comments : 9
    Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
    date : September 19, 2004
    author : Michael
    I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
    author : Ron
    What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?