General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-09-15 11:55 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Okay... It just seemed like I was going post-crazy again (still? ), then I saw the dates.

chirunner: I didn't taco the front wheel, but it's definitely not true anymore. Really not sure my WalMart wheels are worth $20/ea to get them trued. As far as training tires go, I'm going to use what I have because I'm planning on dropping from 700/32 to /28 and I'll use the stock tires to train with for now.

yeah I would not worry about the front wheel then. Well replace not true. Of course if you hit the bike trainer you will not need to replace the wheel yet until spring either.

2014-09-16 12:33 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Seems like we've died again...

Sunday Update:

Not much to say at all. I'm still trying to work training time around the kids being back in school and Amy's rotating schedule. Don't ask about the schedule because It's days, nights and rotating days all in one .

Swim: Escaped to the Y Monday morning and got in a relaxing 1000yds.
Bike: Nada. It's hard to find even an hour away from the house at the moment. I need to get my hands on a trainer, BADLY
Run: .4mi, unloaded groceries, then 1.0mi on Tuesday.

I suppose I can write last week off as post-race R&R... yeah, right. I can say what I want, but it doesn't mean I believe what I'm saying. I do have a needs list that I am working on for training and next season:

***ABOVE ALL*** - Need an indoor trainer!!!
1) 39/53 crankset & bottom bracket. I overspin way too easy. Also my BB has started tapping
2) Speed/Odometer for the bike. All I have is Strava. I'd be nice to know how fast/far I'm going in real time. Cadence would be nice, but not necessary.
3) Handlebars/Aerobars. Cruddy Kent 2-piece bars suck and twist grip gear shifts aren't much better (I have the parts to fix that !)
4) I'd like to find a better wheelset. Hitting a dog jacked my front a bit, and I'd like to have a cassette-friendly rear instead of a freewheel... but now we're in the "wish zone"

My apologies for dropping off for a while. I've been crazy-busy with work, "back to school" for the kids and trying to squeeze in training too.

in answer to your bike needs... I love my Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer! I use it all winter and even during the year when outside is not an option. The cateye w/ cadence is great. It gives me distance and cadence, which is what you need to log the training.
2014-09-16 12:36 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Yardville, NJ
I've been focusing on my bike training in preparation for the Princeton Ironman 70.3 coming up this Sunday. I have to admit, with everything going on, I'm ready for the race season to be over! I can't wait to get into a maintenance mode where I can swim, bike or run for fun and fitness, not with a goal race in mind.
2014-09-16 1:02 PM
in reply to: #5050669

User image

Wow, I'm so far behind I do t even know where to catch up so I will just comment on what I can remember

Diets - I've done the low carb with some success but it definitely doesn't work with my endurance training. My wife says I'm like the Snickers commercials, only with carbs instead of junk food. I've been on the opposite end of the spectrum lately and am eating 200-400g of carbs per day, mainly fruit and veggies with some rice (most other grains make me sick)

Trainers - Craigslist is your friend! I know several people who have scored great deals that way. Couple an indoor trainer with trainerroad.com and you are all set! I bought the Garmin speed and cadence sensor for my bike (the old one so it works with my old watch) and trainer road estimates power and a bunch of other variables.

Crap to Buy - AMEN! My wife usually complains that she doesn't know what to get me for Christmas... Well not this year! Every time I turn around I either find something or my team is suggesting something I need.

I've been mountain biking a lot of late. We have 3 or 4 awesome trails within a few miles of my house so I get out 2-3x per week. My old bike from college (15 years old) was falling apart and the guy who runs the bike shop I frequent made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I picked up a new bike. Fortunately it uses the same pedals as my road bike so I can now ride clipless off road, which is really a terrible idea as I fall constantly.

I ran a 10 mile race last weekend as a tuneup for my half marathon in a month and did better than expected. I finished in 1:37 for a 9:42 pace. I ran the Mackinac Bridge with my wife earlier this year (5 miles) and my pace was 11:54, so big improvements!

I have a bike race this weekend, Le Tour De Donut. You have to eat at least one donut at every aid station and they deduct 3 min from your time for each one you eat. It will be my first group ride so I'm looking forward to it.

My second triathlon is in two weekends and it should be the last for the year as temps have been in the 40's and 50's of late.
2014-09-17 8:31 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by Toefuzz
I ran a 10 mile race last weekend as a tuneup for my half marathon in a month and did better than expected. I finished in 1:37 for a 9:42 pace. I ran the Mackinac Bridge with my wife earlier this year (5 miles) and my pace was 11:54, so big improvements!

I have a bike race this weekend, Le Tour De Donut. You have to eat at least one donut at every aid station and they deduct 3 min from your time for each one you eat. It will be my first group ride so I'm looking forward to it.

My second triathlon is in two weekends and it should be the last for the year as temps have been in the 40's and 50's of late.

Nice work with the run times!

I'd like to hear how this one goes... I daresay I'd be the guy finishing the ride with a negative time!

And you know we're going to want to hear the race report on the tri!
2014-09-17 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Toefuzz I ran a 10 mile race last weekend as a tuneup for my half marathon in a month and did better than expected. I finished in 1:37 for a 9:42 pace. I ran the Mackinac Bridge with my wife earlier this year (5 miles) and my pace was 11:54, so big improvements! I have a bike race this weekend, Le Tour De Donut. You have to eat at least one donut at every aid station and they deduct 3 min from your time for each one you eat. It will be my first group ride so I'm looking forward to it. My second triathlon is in two weekends and it should be the last for the year as temps have been in the 40's and 50's of late.
Nice work with the run times! I'd like to hear how this one goes... I daresay I'd be the guy finishing the ride with a negative time! And you know we're going to want to hear the race report on the tri!

X2 on the run and the need for the race report!!!!!

The donut race.. I was in Raleigh just after the finish of a donut run. Can we say YUCK? Doing on the bike should be much easier on everyone involved!

2014-09-17 10:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Could someone tell me where you can log body measurements on this site? I saw it yesterday but can't find it today. I am starting to use BT instead of my other calorie count site. (I am trying to eliminate the need for multiple apps and sites).

Oh.. and I signed up for my first 70.3 yesterday.

Gulp

just got real!

Edited by ceilidh 2014-09-17 10:26 AM
2014-09-17 10:41 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Yardville, NJ
Training Log->Add Today's Workout->Body Metrics

Which 70.3? Where and when? I'm hoping to step up to that next year!
2014-09-17 10:45 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Speaking of stuff to buy... my wife showed me the ad for the new Specialized S-Works Evade helmet. Almost as aero as an aero-helmet, but with the ventilation of a road helmet. When I said, cool, but I have a helmet, she replied, there's always Christmas! Love her!
2014-09-17 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Mfechter67 Speaking of stuff to buy... my wife showed me the ad for the new Specialized S-Works Evade helmet. Almost as aero as an aero-helmet, but with the ventilation of a road helmet. When I said, cool, but I have a helmet, she replied, there's always Christmas! Love her!

You got you a good 'un for sure!

2014-09-17 10:55 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Mfechter67 Training Log->Add Today's Workout->Body Metrics Which 70.3? Where and when? I'm hoping to step up to that next year!

Thanks! I looked everywhere but there.

It is the HITS- Orlando. My hubbie and two friends are doing the sprint (my husbands first!) and hopefully, two other friends will do the full. It was kind of spur of the moment. It seems I can train better in the "off season" for early season races over summer training when everything goes on around here. At least, that is the hope.

2014-09-20 6:10 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
So my 2014 triathlon season comes to end tomorrow. I will be doing the bike leg for our relay team at the Princeton Ironman 70.3. The bike course is a little long, they say it's 57.8 officially. I dropped my bike today and did packet pick-up. I've done some large tri's (NJ State has 1500 racers), but have never done an Ironman race. It is quite an event! I am so excited and can't wait until tomorrow!
2014-09-20 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Mfechter67 So my 2014 triathlon season comes to end tomorrow. I will be doing the bike leg for our relay team at the Princeton Ironman 70.3. The bike course is a little long, they say it's 57.8 officially. I dropped my bike today and did packet pick-up. I've done some large tri's (NJ State has 1500 racers), but have never done an Ironman race. It is quite an event! I am so excited and can't wait until tomorrow!

give em 'ell tomorrow Mike! Have FUN!

2014-09-21 8:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Mike: I hope you're about to make them eat some serious dust!

I'm stuck at work so.... SUNDAY UPDATE!

Last week was an invasion of real life. Of course I work on Sundays. As a matter of fact, I'm doing a pretty good job of riding the clock at the moment. Last Sunday I get to work with no problems, but when I get ready to go home, my truck just spins but will not start. Long story short, I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is fried, but after wasting 2 days trying to get to it I found that the tank is cracked and needs to be replaced. Went to get one yesterday, and it was all beat up so... Tuesday... fun... A lot of wasted time after work killed a bit of my training time.

Swim: I managed to get in 1050yds on Friday. It was one of those days where I felt great and seriously considered going for 2000+ (I'd love to hit 2150yds at least once by the end of the year), but I was out of time because I needed to get home and get the wife up to eat lunch with our oldest at school. Family is and always will be more important... even if i could legitimately argue that me getting healthier benefits the family . As a bonus, I got a good kick to the front of the pants as I was picking up Bethany (my youngest). I found out that after the 28th, there is going to be no more AM childcare. Now, not only does that jack up my Friday swim, but it completely ruins Amy's training since almost all of what she's doing right now is there because they can watch the baby... I'm quite irritated, to put it lightly.

Bike: Pretty good week... Since my truck was down, and Amy worked Sun and Mon nights, what I did was drive the van to Methodist University Hospital in Memphis, unloaded my bike, and rode to work. I rode the Denali the first day, forgetting how bad the roads are... so I took the Iron Maiden (40lb mt bike)... and after that ride I renamed it "The Proctologist". Both rides were a quick 6.7mi. I also managed a nice relaxing 19.1 mi ride yesterday morning.

Run: I only managed to get in a 1 mile run on Thursday. Need to do better there since I'm not a runner and all that.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-09-21 8:14 AM
2014-09-21 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Nope, haven't diddly-squat since last post. Really need a motivational kick in the pants. I always work better with specific goals/deadlines, so I went searching today. I have decided that my first sprint of 2015 will be the Kinetic Sprint on May 10th in Spotsylvania, VA. Now I have a specific goal to train for. What I want to be doing is training Olympic distance by then, so I should have energy to spare for a sprint.

It took me almost a half hour of searching to find my copy of Friel's Traithlete's Training Bible. Have to start re-reading that. And I need to charge my Global Trainer so I can start logging heart rate data for workouts. When I trained for my first tri, logging HR data and was the best way for me to actually see my progress and get excited about it.
2014-09-21 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Nope, haven't diddly-squat since last post. Really need a motivational kick in the pants. I always work better with specific goals/deadlines, so I went searching today. I have decided that my first sprint of 2015 will be the Kinetic Sprint on May 10th in Spotsylvania, VA. Now I have a specific goal to train for. What I want to be doing is training Olympic distance by then, so I should have energy to spare for a sprint.

It took me almost a half hour of searching to find my copy of Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible. Have to start re-reading that. And I need to charge my Global Trainer so I can start logging heart rate data for workouts. When I trained for my first tri, logging HR data was the best way for me to actually see my progress and get excited about it.

2014-09-23 11:09 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Leatherneck I agree with you on that. Even if I try to do too much too late I do make progress which is the whole point. I am glad you are finding your motivation.

I realized today I need to start counting calories again. Good news is I think I am in pretty good shape with the diet change over. Now I just want the weight to go down faster.

2014-09-23 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Mike: I hope you're about to make them eat some serious dust! I'm stuck at work so.... SUNDAY UPDATE! Last week was an invasion of real life. Of course I work on Sundays. As a matter of fact, I'm doing a pretty good job of riding the clock at the moment. Last Sunday I get to work with no problems, but when I get ready to go home, my truck just spins but will not start. Long story short, I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is fried, but after wasting 2 days trying to get to it I found that the tank is cracked and needs to be replaced. Went to get one yesterday, and it was all beat up so... Tuesday... fun... A lot of wasted time after work killed a bit of my training time. Swim: I managed to get in 1050yds on Friday. It was one of those days where I felt great and seriously considered going for 2000+ (I'd love to hit 2150yds at least once by the end of the year), but I was out of time because I needed to get home and get the wife up to eat lunch with our oldest at school. Family is and always will be more important... even if i could legitimately argue that me getting healthier benefits the family . As a bonus, I got a good kick to the front of the pants as I was picking up Bethany (my youngest). I found out that after the 28th, there is going to be no more AM childcare. Now, not only does that jack up my Friday swim, but it completely ruins Amy's training since almost all of what she's doing right now is there because they can watch the baby... I'm quite irritated, to put it lightly. Bike: Pretty good week... Since my truck was down, and Amy worked Sun and Mon nights, what I did was drive the van to Methodist University Hospital in Memphis, unloaded my bike, and rode to work. I rode the Denali the first day, forgetting how bad the roads are... so I took the Iron Maiden (40lb mt bike)... and after that ride I renamed it "The Proctologist". Both rides were a quick 6.7mi. I also managed a nice relaxing 19.1 mi ride yesterday morning. Run: I only managed to get in a 1 mile run on Thursday. Need to do better there since I'm not a runner and all that.

The new name of your bike made me snort!

2014-09-23 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
30 minutes on the LifeCycle at the YMCA. Apparently, the only way I can get Cindy to do any exercise is if I do it with her. She did 30 minutes on the treadmill. I need to increase the difficulty level because even though I maintained a cadence of 85-95 my HR never went over 120. Actually, I just mentioned to her that I would rather ride my own bicycle, so I can get meaningful data. So our Tue/Thu dates at the Y are going to become swim nights for me.
2014-09-24 6:27 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa 30 minutes on the LifeCycle at the YMCA. Apparently, the only way I can get Cindy to do any exercise is if I do it with her. She did 30 minutes on the treadmill. I need to increase the difficulty level because even though I maintained a cadence of 85-95 my HR never went over 120. Actually, I just mentioned to her that I would rather ride my own bicycle, so I can get meaningful data. So our Tue/Thu dates at the Y are going to become swim nights for me.

Working out together is GREAT. No matter if you are doing the same thing or not. Keep it up and hopefully Cindy will get more into it.

2014-09-25 7:50 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Oh BOY! I have got a LONG way to go. I went for my first swim since the surgery 18 months ago. I was kind of hoping to get a total of 500 yards in. Not even close. At the end of 75 yds my rotator cuff was complaining. By the time I finished the lap for a total of 100 yards my re-attached bicep was screaming. Decided not to overdo it. Went for a soak in the hot tub focusing one of the jets on each of those areas for five minutes each. Cold shower, then off to the sauna for 15 minutes. And it didn't get better then because I discovered I had no soap in my locker. What a day.

2014-09-26 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Oh BOY! I have got a LONG way to go. I went for my first swim since the surgery 18 months ago. I was kind of hoping to get a total of 500 yards in. Not even close. At the end of 75 yds my rotator cuff was complaining. By the time I finished the lap for a total of 100 yards my re-attached bicep was screaming. Decided not to overdo it. Went for a soak in the hot tub focusing one of the jets on each of those areas for five minutes each. Cold shower, then off to the sauna for 15 minutes. And it didn't get better then because I discovered I had no soap in my locker. What a day.

OH NO! don't do too much too fast! (I speak from experience). Little steps and the kickboard is your friend!

I HATE when I forget soap/shampoo etc. Unfortunately, I seem to do it a lot.

2014-09-27 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Another swim today. 4x25, 2x50, 4x25 = 300 yards

Only minor aches in either arm/shoulder. I'm rather happy. At this rate I will be ready to start my own modified "0 to 1650" swim program. She starts with 4x100, 4x50, and 4x25. I prefer to pyramid my swims, as you can see above.
2014-09-28 8:15 AM

User image

Originally posted by leatherneckpa
Oh BOY! I have got a LONG way to go. I went for my first swim since the surgery 18 months ago. I was kind of hoping to get a total of 500 yards in. Not even close. At the end of 75 yds my rotator cuff was complaining. By the time I finished the lap for a total of 100 yards my re-attached bicep was screaming. Decided not to overdo it.

Another swim today. 4x25, 2x50, 4x25 = 300 yards
Only minor aches in either arm/shoulder. I'm rather happy. At this rate I will be ready to start my own modified "0 to 1650" swim program. She starts with 4x100, 4x50, and 4x25. I prefer to pyramid my swims, as you can see above.

I'm with Robin... Don't overdo it. Also, if you prefer a pyramid... Go for it! Whatever you're most comfortable with. I'm more of a negative split/finish all out guy m'self.
2014-09-28 8:31 AM

User image

This is gonna be short....

SUNDAY UPDATE

I think the best way to do this is going to be to list what I did this week....

Run: 1.3mi (and slow at that) on Thursday.

Yup... That was my whole week... I'm really falling down here, and I'm not sure what to do to turn it around. I even shut off my alarm this morning, reset it for 90mins later and went back to sleep... I've got a really bad case of "What's the use?" right now that I need to push through. I'm looking for a new place to swim too. Oddly enough, the Head Honcho at the Y I use/used called to explain the "why" of them cutting AM childcare temporarily. While I fully understand why, and I support what they're trying to do, it not only eliminates my ability to swim without driving an hour one way, but it also eliminates easily 75% of Amy's ability to train as well... Now, there's another triathlete that lives less than 2 miles from me (funny thing, the closest we've come to a face-to-face meeting is passing each other on the bike going opposite directions at Riverbluff... so that'd be about 50yds, lol!... Back on subject, he's running Augusta 70.3 as I type, and the latest post from his wife is that he finished in just under 41 mins. Thing is, he doesn't train in the water. He's offered to show me what he does when they get back. I have a feeling he was a swimmer when he was younger tho...

Oh yeah... the scale is creeping back up: 254.5. I can't complain since there's been almost no training tho...

And I got my truck back on the road, finally yesterday at 2:30pm
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 26969 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98220 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15724 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28932 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?