General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-12-04 8:36 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

bounce ,,,,, bouncE ,,,,, bounCE ,,,,, bouNCE ,,,,, boUNCE ,,,,, bOUNCE ,,,,,BOUNCE!!!!!

That's what the walls sound like in my house right now. It's been 14 days since I sprained my knee, and it's been 12 days since I dared to do any kind of a workout. (That swim was painful!) I am off the cane, out of the neoprene knee brace, and mostly walking without a limp. I am hoping to try to swim Friday and maybe treadmill or stationary bike on Saturday. If those two days go well I will re-set and shoot for a 20/31 goal for December.

Some of you are familiar with the Christmas Count-down thread. I joined it on October 1st weighing in at 379.6. At tonight's weigh-in I was down 1.8 lbs to 368.8, even after Thanksgiving. I won't reach my 350 goal by year end, but as someone over there said, "Every little bit helps." New year end weight goal? 360 or less.

Well, I am going to try something different, and quite honestly I think I'm going out on a limb here. I was considering buying one of the BT memberships, I just didn't know which one. So I started a thread. That didn't help me make up my mind any. While I was surfing around the comparison page I tried out the Custom Planner widget. It was intriguing but I couldn't save or upload it to a Planned Workout Calendar... I decided to take at least test the waters. I bought a Bronze membership and then saved the plan to my calendar.

Why do I think I'm going out on a limb? Mainly because the distances and times it is prescribing seem WAY too low right now. They are significantly below the times and distances I was doing before I sprained my knee. But I am going to give it a good faith trial and see how things look come April 1st.. I planned it as a Sprint tri for May 10th, 2015. If it works as advertised I will then create one to go up to August 9th. And if I like those results I will use it to plan for an October Olympic..

Stay tuned.

You know we'll do everything we can to keep you motivated... I feel your pain, just not as much. Like you, I ended up with nothing this week, but I think it's better to be cautious than to risk additional issues and more time off. I'm in the count-down thread as well and had to alter my plan of sub-240 to sub 250. "every little bit helps" is one of the absolute truths when it comes to taking off the weight.

I think I have a reply in the membership/training plan thread as well... I have made 2 custom plans now with no issues, and I'm on the free membership here. The only think I couldn't do was link the plan to my log. I also wasn't given breakdowns of what exactly to do for each session, but I don't know if membership does that or not.

2014-12-04 12:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by WebFootFreak I'm in the count-down thread as well and had to alter my plan of sub-240 to sub 250. "every little bit helps" is one of the absolute truths when it comes to taking off the weight.

I have made 2 custom plans now with no issues, and I'm on the free membership here. The only think I couldn't do was link the plan to my log. I also wasn't given breakdowns of what exactly to do for each session, but I don't know if membership does that or not.

Rick, I was pretty sure it was you that I was quoting, but at that time of night I didn't want to take the time to go search for it. Also, it was because of you that I was tinkering with the custom planner. But unlike you I was not able to put it on my calendar, print it, or link it. I was going to spend $30 for a 6 month Bronze trial, but when I got to checking out it seems they haven't stopped the 30% discount offer yet. I was able to buy a full year of Bronze membership for only $5 more, $35. I even considered going for a Silver instead, but cheaped out at the last minute.

Now I not only have it in my Planned Calendar, I also have it linked to my BT mobile app. The importance of that is that my two brain cells aren't working as well as they used to. Now I don't have to worry about forgetting what I was supposed to do at the gym. I just bring it up on my app and then go do it. And since I listen to my music on my phone, I can easily remind myself of correct distances on two-a-days.

If you haven't already, spend the $35 to get the one year of Bronze membership. That Custom Planner alone is worth the cost. But being able to see your planned workout on your phone at the gym ,,,, WOW!

Edited by me, because I am a member of the Grammar Police. I can't help myself.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2014-12-04 12:50 PM
2014-12-04 10:10 PM

User image

Anyone else having problems getting up and active in the morning?? My mind wants to do it but the heart is tired at the moment.

I have started increasing my distances lately, especially in the run, but starting to get some tightness in the knees.

As far as memberships, I was silver which was good for training plans and logging and such. I pulled the trigger and went gold with the 30% off deal. It is cool getting all my heart rate and power stats automatically uploaded from my Garmin. Helping me focus on right training zones! I suggest the paid membership!
2014-12-07 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4916495

User image

Quick Sunday update:

Down to 253.5

Training: nil. I was giving my foot a week's rest. Plan to hit it hard and heavy again this week.
2014-12-07 8:05 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
OMGoodness! I'm sitting here watching the Patriots/Chargers game and they just mentioned that one of the Chargers is just now returning from a sprained knee injury. AFTER SEVEN WEEKS! I'm only on week three. And you just know these pro football players don't give it full recovery time. That would mean I would be out of the gym until the new year. I don't think I can do that.
2014-12-08 6:57 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Well, I am going to try something different, and quite honestly I think I'm going out on a limb here. I was considering buying one of the BT memberships, I just didn't know which one. So I started a thread. That didn't help me make up my mind any. While I was surfing around the comparison page I tried out the Custom Planner widget. It was intriguing but I couldn't save or upload it to a Planned Workout Calendar... I decided to take at least test the waters. I bought a Bronze membership and then saved the plan to my calendar. Why do I think I'm going out on a limb? Mainly because the distances and times it is prescribing seem WAY too low right now. They are significantly below the times and distances I was doing before I sprained my knee. But I am going to give it a good faith trial and see how things look come April 1st.. I planned it as a Sprint tri for May 10th, 2015. If it works as advertised I will then create one to go up to August 9th. And if I like those results I will use it to plan for an October Olympic.. Stay tuned.

The shorter distances at the beginning can really help to build up slowly and to go injury-free the whole duration.

go for it. i have used several of the plans on bt and they have served well.... when I follow the plan and not think I know better.

2014-12-08 11:12 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Well, I am going to try something different, and quite honestly I think I'm going out on a limb here. I was considering buying one of the BT memberships, I just didn't know which one. So I started a thread. That didn't help me make up my mind any. While I was surfing around the comparison page I tried out the Custom Planner widget. It was intriguing but I couldn't save or upload it to a Planned Workout Calendar... I decided to take at least test the waters. I bought a Bronze membership and then saved the plan to my calendar. Why do I think I'm going out on a limb? Mainly because the distances and times it is prescribing seem WAY too low right now. They are significantly below the times and distances I was doing before I sprained my knee. But I am going to give it a good faith trial and see how things look come April 1st.. I planned it as a Sprint tri for May 10th, 2015. If it works as advertised I will then create one to go up to August 9th. And if I like those results I will use it to plan for an October Olympic.. Stay tuned.

The shorter distances at the beginning can really help to build up slowly and to go injury-free the whole duration.

go for it. i have used several of the plans on bt and they have served well.... when I follow the plan and not think I know better.

Also read some of the training articles by Mike Ricci here on BT. There is sound evidence to the Z1 & Z2 training. I used it and made it through my first spint feeling good. Now that I have a base to work from, I can now build speed at a reasonable pace and begin to add more distance. It takes some time, but it is well worth it!
2014-12-10 5:55 AM
in reply to: Jcdyess

User image

Champion
Bronze member

How is every one doing?

2014-12-10 11:16 AM

User image

Breathing. That's a +.
2014-12-11 8:16 AM

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

How is every one doing?

Struggling to get back on the training wagon... I'm not training because I'm exhausted and sluggish, but I'm exhausted and sluggish because I'm not training. If I don't have to work tomorrow I'll force myself to get to the Y and jump in the pool.
2014-12-11 9:04 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
WFF yeah its that time of the year. I been only working out at lunch and not in the evenings and weekends. Sad because I really really want to get a spring marathon in before the baby comes and trying to decide if I want to sign up for ITU Chicago in September. Maybe I should sign up and hope when the time comes she does not get too mad or goes its ok your trained you can do it I will not worry.

2014-12-11 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by WebFootFreakStruggling to get back on the training wagon... I'm not training because I'm exhausted and sluggish, but I'm exhausted and sluggish because I'm not training. If I don't have to work tomorrow I'll force myself to get to the Y and jump in the pool.
I can SO relate to this post. Last night I was supposed to go to my WW's meeting, so I put on my "uniform" and got on my scales at home. I decided NOT to go to my meeting because somehow I was UP 7.8 pounds. This morning I am already down 2.8 pounds. And I still don't trust my knee to go workout yet.
2014-12-11 12:23 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Something I am trying to keep in mind since I lost my low carb diet. I am working to get back on it. stupid holiday cookies. Low energy plus lots of high carb foods = bad for low carb dieters.

"A healthy adult can store around 400 grams of glycogen in the liver and about 100 grams in the muscle cells. If your glycogen levels drop, you can lose half a kilogram -- over 1 pound. Additionally, every gram of glycogen carries with it 3 grams of water, meaning that if you deplete your regular stores of glycogen, this can show up as a 2 kilogram loss on the scale"

2 KG is like 4.4 lbs. Another article I read said 4 to 5 g per 1 gram of glycogen. Its why you get they hey I just started dieting and I lost 10 lbs in the first week.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/307905-glycogen-and-weight-loss/
2014-12-14 8:19 AM

User image

Originally posted by WebFootFreak
Down to 253.5

Training: nil.

Suday Update:

Up to 254.

Training: nil, again

I know that getting back in the saddle is completely on me. For some reason, this year seems unusually hectic. Of course I freely admit that it could be because things are getting in my way, I'm letting things get in my way, or a combination of both
2014-12-18 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

It is really easy to have the season take over your life. Be easy on yourself and then, go for a long walk. (or other).

Got back from DC. (no training but walking 6-8 miles per day). Now I have to H the F up to ramp up my training where it should be. The fact that I got sick and am just feeling well enough for a little 30 minute trainer ride is not helping.

2014-12-19 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Not a whole lot of tri-ing going on here. Still haven't braved the gym with this knee. Allowed wife to talk me into waiting until after Christmas. Probably better for the knee anyway. It hasn't been this screwed up since the last prison riot I was in. (Relax, I worked there.)

On the plus side however, I'm down another 2.2 lbs this week. If I can sustain this pace through the holidays I should be able to start the new year under 360.

2014-12-22 8:43 AM

User image

Monday Update:

255... creeping up again

I did manage to get a short swim, a short run, and a spin in this week. I'm pretty much just doing what I can until the beginning of the year. I think it's going to be mainly swimming and running. With the sister-in-law in town, I really have no place to set up the trainer so.... unless it stays warm and dry enough to brave the elements (and it just may!), the bike won't be happening.

Even though I am looking at a net loss of less than 10lbs over the last year, I'm still happy with how things are going. My health has improved quite a bit and I managed to stagger through a pair of sprint tris... Not a bad year all things said.
2014-12-23 4:15 PM

User image

Hey! I haven't been around but very happy to see you all again! I was training for the Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon (wasn't pretty but I finished) but I am back with my first 70.3 distance in July. Signed up and everything!

Have any of you worked with "coaches"? I guess they operate by email or something. Someone recommended it to me and was wondering your opinions were. I just started back in the 2 swim, 1 bike, 3 run.

Donna
2014-12-28 10:26 PM

UGHHHH!!! I just have not been motivated to get off my arse lately. I was doing fine motivation-wise and running a bit, but then got yet another cold, and as soon as I recovered from that I had gout for what seemed like forever. And now, I don't really have an excuse, but I just cannot get out of bed early enough to get a workout in the morning, and I've just been skipping my lunch runs...no excuse, I have had my running gear with me almost every day. My wife signed me up for swim class for the next two months. So motivated or not, it's happening. And at $50 per month, my wife will make sure my butt gets out of bed at 4:30am. The class is two mornings a week from 5:15am-6:45am. I am excited to get back into some form of activity, but nervous about my swim endurance. I hope there are some others in the class that are lacking endurance like I am.

This week the goal is to get two bikes in and three runs. I am also going to start logging onto MyFitnessPal again because that is what I need to do to lose weight. Also, I'm saying goodbye to beer for a while (not a big drinker, but I loves me a good beer, and 'tis the season for the best beers), at least until I am consistently back to working out.

Have a great rest of the year all! Finish strong!
2014-12-29 7:52 AM

User image

I didn't weigh... couldn't bear to look at that number.

All I got in last week was a single swim again. Even though I was able to jump in the pool this morning, it looks like this week may be bust too. With the sister-in-law in town, setting up the trainer is definitely a no-go. Even though it's my house, I just don't want to hear it. One more week, and it's back to normul. I need to make a point to get out and walk if nothing else. Thursday is supposed to be in the 40s, and I'm off because of New Years, maybe the Hightailers are doing something...
2014-12-31 6:50 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I have been out for 2 weeks with the flue. Right through the holidays. YUCK! No training at all. I am not sure if I can get up to my HIM training level now at all. This week will be the make or break point. And I can't push it, even if I wanted to. I am as week as a kitten. But..... to quote Monte Python.... I'm not dead yet.... I am feeling better !

2014-12-31 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Robyn, when is the HIM?
2014-12-31 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Robyn, when is the HIM?

It is the end of March. Only really 2.5 months away.

2015-01-01 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Only really 2.5 months away.
Oh goodness, I couldn't even THINK about being ready for a race then.
2015-01-01 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
I know it was a Christmas Countdown but I wanted to carry mine through the hoIidays because that week between Christmas and New Years can be problematic. I only lost half of what I wanted to, but I am going to call this a success anyway. I have managed to lose 12.6 pounds DESPITE THE HOLIDAYS!

October 8, 2014 ~ 379.2
January 1, 2015 ~ 366.6

And THAT is with not being able to workout because of the sprained knee.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 26967 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98211 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15720 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28926 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?