Hardcore Serious Fitness
43F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 16m 59s
Overall Rank = 240/377
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 24/33
Pre-race routine:

I knew I was going into this with extra weight and very little training, so I wanted to treat it as just a Holiday Fun Run. But cold temps, rain, and lack of preparation made it not so fun (although I still enjoyed it).
Event warmup:

Sat in truck to stay warm!

photo e615f3f5-22db-4585-96c5-f783a8ea3fd0.jpg
Run
  • 2h 16m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

We were expecting a torrential cold downpour throughout the race, but thankfully, that did not happen. It did start to rain at about mile 6, but did not last long, and again at mile 11.

This is an awesome run route (albeit hilly) through some lovely neighborhoods with LOTS of big animated Christmas decorations. I was running fairly obliviously up until I saw a big sign the said, "Worst Parade Ever!" Although I've seen that saying many time before, it still made me laugh out loud! After that, I found my smile and paid more attention to the Christmasy houses and smiling spectators. There were several other funny signs, plus kids who stood by the road for a hand slap. It was nice to see the spectators and children out in that cold rainy weather cheering us on!

photo 27c2b4ae-ec29-4f90-97da-9cd42752511e.jpg
Post race
Warm down:

After the race, we got showered and went out for breakfast. I hadn't had anything to eat but a Lara Bar and 1/2 of a banana. I nearly passed out at the restaurant. I suddenly felt hot, sleepy, weak, nauseous, and beads of sweat started coming from my face. i asked Pete for the truck keys and went outside into the cold air. I didn't even feel like i could make it to the truck before passing out, but I did. I sat there for a few minutes as my face profusely dripped sweat. But after a few more minutes, the cold air seemed to make me feel better and i was able to go back in and eat breakfast. I'm not sure what that was all about; it felt like when you give blood too quickly and you suddenly feel nauseous and hot. It must have had something to do with blood pressure or blood sugar I guess. Ah well, all's well that ends well.

After breakfast we started the 3 hour drive back to Fayetteville for a Christmas Party! My friend Kathy, a retired co-worker has an annual Christmas Party at her house. It is a great time for friends/coworkers to get together before the holidays. Lots of delicious FOOD too!

photo 18edd348-0ba3-4ea7-b9cb-d0d0f9dd3623.jpg

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Extra weight and lack of training.

Last updated: 2013-09-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:59 | 13.1 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/377
Performance: Below average
Course: Hills
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-12-21 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Huntersville Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Huntersville Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Huntersville Half Marathon

Started by kweezen
Views: 1032 Posts: 1

2012-12-08 10:55 AM kweezen

Started by wsandford
Views: 841 Posts: 1

2012-10-29 9:35 AM wsandford

Started by ncpistol
Views: 1153 Posts: 1

2011-12-06 5:21 PM ncpistol

Started by Jodyness
Views: 921 Posts: 1

2011-12-05 9:02 PM Jodyness

Started by Maria527
Views: 2003 Posts: 1

2011-12-04 6:07 AM Maria527
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.