Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Wet suit for beginner Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-21 9:50 PM

Subject: Wet suit for beginner
I am going to start triathlons in 2014. I need lots of new equipment including a new bike. A wet suit is one of the purchases that is most useless if I decide I don't want to continue doing triathlons. Any tips on where I can get a good deal in the GTA. I know I can rent them but that doesn't seem to make sense if I expect to do at least two races and a few training sessions.

2013-12-23 4:12 PM
in reply to: cak0

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Wet suit for beginner

I would suggest going the rental route.  A lot of places will allow you to put the cost of the rentals towards the purchase of a suit - so it's kind of a no loss situation.  The other option is to buy last year's rental - that's what I did originally and I believe it cost me about $200.

2013-12-28 7:34 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Expert
agree with the rental to buy option.

A wetsuit also isn't necessary to tri, especially if you aren't planning on racing early or late season or in lake Ontario which can be unpredictable is the water turns over. I did triathlons for 6 years before I bought a wetsuit. it is nice to have, but not a necessity.
2014-01-08 11:23 AM

I agree with the two posts above that a wet suit isn't really necessary except for early and late season races, HOWEVER I completely understand the merit behind having one especially if you are not 100% comfortable with swimming or swimming open water.

Endurosport is selling some of their older models at reduced prices, not sure if this is a steal, but something for you to consider.

https://www.endurosport.com/shop/

Make sure you get in more than a couple practices with the wetsuit!! I used to swim competitively and only practiced twice with a new wetsuit before a race, the experience was pretty scary and eye opening. A wetsuit creates quite a bit of pressure on your chest and forces you to shorten your breaths slightly, which isn't a big deal during a practice, but when adrenaline is tearing through your veins the discomfort is quite apparent.

Have fun shopping!

2014-01-10 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Many people try the sport first then buy the gear. I did my first tri in swimming trunks and a tank top and rode a 10spd comfort bike - I'd suggest that is a common start for most. Just pick a race with warm water conditions - i.e. small, shallow lake in July / August.

The rental route is also popular. At many of the MSC races (aka 'Recharge with Milk' series) there are vendors who rent suits right before the race.

If you're hell bent on getting a wetsuit, check out the Xterra specials with the 'BT' discount code (you can find other discount codes if you scour the interweb a bit). Typically they will take 50%+/-10% off the retail price, so you can get a decent intermediate suit for about $200.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Wet suit for beginner Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Some Inexpensive Wet Suits at KW Surplus

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 1768 Posts: 10

2013-05-02 5:01 AM JTOTPC

Rules on Wet Suits for Lakeside

Started by Florz
Views: 1012 Posts: 4

2011-09-01 9:04 PM sryall

Beginner Swimming Advice

Started by Scott71
Views: 1437 Posts: 7

2011-06-21 6:47 PM John Salt

Private swimming lesson for beginner

Started by borts
Views: 1059 Posts: 4

2010-01-27 7:24 PM bostonredsox

tri suit or wet suit

Started by sylvain
Views: 776 Posts: 2

2009-02-15 6:00 PM DaveH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 7, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Intervals help a runner manage the intensity and learn to push at a pace that’s out of their comfort zone. Learn these five intervals with example workouts.

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 0
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Practice these three workouts each week for 4 weeks. Just complete the workouts and notice the changes to your stroke.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.